Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Precision Pro R1 w/ MyScope vs. Competition

Tarheelvolvo

MGS just published a new article about the Precision Pro R1 and it's new MyScope functionality. This looks very useful - in practice - and could be a poor mans launch monitor if it lives up to they hype.

precisionpro_myslope_std-02.jpg

https://mygolfspy.com/precision-pro-r1-the-deep-data-driven-myslope-algorithm/

Before we get too far, though, I wanted to ask you all your thoughts about MyScope vs other personal launch monitors (Rapsodo/Mevo) vs Arccos/Shotscope. When do you think one is better than the other? When would a combination of tools benefit a golfer? And lastly, who is currently he king of the hill for a "do it 'most'" device for the average user? Note that I'm trying to keep the recommendations under the ~$500 mark to keep the comparisons similar, because we're not all rocking a Trackman or Quad on every shot, haha!

In my :ping-small: Hoofer:

:ping-small: G410 LST 10.5* - Kai'Li White 60 X-flex

:nike-small: VRS Covert 3W 15* - Kuro Kage 65 S-flex

:titelist-small:  T200 4-GW, DG X100 Tour Issue - Tester

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 54.12 SS & 58.10 SS

:ping-small:  Zing 2 LW - 60*

:ping-small:  Anser 2

It is my understanding that you would need MYSLOPE and a launch monitor.  You get your data from your launch monitor and enter your data.   The MYSLOPE app then gathers all the known weather information about the shot your face on the course and computes what club you should hit based on your launch parameters and launch parameters capture from other people’s sessions on trackman.  I don’t see anyhthing about the R1 capturing the data about your performance.  

I think what it does is very educational as it helps a player understand how to make appropriate club adjustments based weather conditions.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Just now, cnosil said:

It is my understanding that you would need MYSLOPE and a launch monitor.  You get your data from your launch monitor and enter your data.   The MYSLOPE app then gathers all the known weather information about the shot your face on the course and computes what club you should hit based on your launch parameters and launch parameters capture from other people’s sessions on trackman.  I don’t see anyhthing about the R1 capturing the data about your performance.  

I think what it does is very educational as it helps a player understand how to make appropriate club adjustments based weather conditions.   

Yes, that is my understanding as well.

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

Interesting. That wasnt clear in the article, so I appreciate you pointing it out. 

So would one trackman session suffice for the season - assuming your swing/gear doesn't change? Once loaded into the app, I would think it would be great to utilize, but it still begs the question of what a fully data-loaded R1 would do compared to an Arccos, or Shotscope...

In my :ping-small: Hoofer:

:ping-small: G410 LST 10.5* - Kai'Li White 60 X-flex

:nike-small: VRS Covert 3W 15* - Kuro Kage 65 S-flex

:titelist-small:  T200 4-GW, DG X100 Tour Issue - Tester

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 54.12 SS & 58.10 SS

:ping-small:  Zing 2 LW - 60*

:ping-small:  Anser 2

41 minutes ago, GolfSpy_THV said:

Interesting. That wasnt clear in the article, so I appreciate you pointing it out. 

So would one trackman session suffice for the season - assuming your swing/gear doesn't change? Once loaded into the app, I would think it would be great to utilize, but it still begs the question of what a fully data-loaded R1 would do compared to an Arccos, or Shotscope...

With the "fully loaded" data,   you are talking into account all the weather conditions and the slope of the shot as well as your baseline launch monitor numbers.   This gets saved in the app and the big R1 database in the sky.  Now from a data comparison perspective the system can evaluate based on your swing characteristics and the weather and make recommendations on how the weather will impact your ball.  The limitation as mentioned in the article is that if you take a partial swing or change launch characteristic,  that means you need to make some of your own calculations.    To my knowledge Arccos and Shotscope make recommendations based on how far you hit the ball and don't look at weather, slope, or a worldwide pool of golfers. 

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

56 minutes ago, GolfSpy_THV said:

Yes, you need to use a launch monitor like trackman or GC quad to be able to fill in all of information to effectively use the program in the app. I had the R1 laser. I did not want to pay money to get a trackman session just to input my data to get accurate club suggestions while on-course. I can pull my club effectively without a program suggesting what I need to use to hit a certain distance. Beyond that, the laser does not have a battery, so there was no way I was going to have it constantly charged up for use at the range, or on a course.

For someone that knows their distances, I don’t see the need for the MySlope for club suggestions. I gave the unit a good try, and it’s a good laser, not having the battery was why I returned it.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

4 hours ago, PMookie said:

For someone that knows their distances, I don’t see the need for the MySlope for club suggestions. I gave the unit a good try, and it’s a good laser, not having the battery was why I returned it.

What is your approach for adjustments based on wind, temperature, and humidity from your stock distance?

I was getting ready to pull the trigger on one of these but they are out of stock 

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

What is your approach for adjustments based on wind, temperature, and humidity from your stock distance?

I only calculate for wind, and occasionally temp because I don’t play when it’s colder than 60. There are a ton of temperature adjustments all over the Internet that I’ve used in the “winter”. I get it from an app sometimes, or my 40 years of golf helps me make a pretty good guess. I’ll say this, the Arccos wind calculation was almost always dead-on, the R1 didn’t seem to adjust throughout a round as well.

9 hours ago, PMookie said:

I only calculate for wind, and occasionally temp because I don’t play when it’s colder than 60. There are a ton of temperature adjustments all over the Internet that I’ve used in the “winter”. I get it from an app sometimes, or my 40 years of golf helps me make a pretty good guess. I’ll say this, the Arccos wind calculation was almost always dead-on, the R1 didn’t seem to adjust throughout a round as well.

Didn’t realize the arccos caddie did the same type of adjustments; learned something new.   Looked at the Arccos marketing material and it seems to do the same type of thing.  Would be an interesting comparison.  I personally wouldn’t buy Arccos  because of the ongoing subscription.  I thought it was something unique to the R1

For me, while there are charts and my experince, I would welcome the Confirmation/education on these environmental conditions from these tools.  If accurate they could give me accurate information at the time so I can fine tune things.   Currently the best I can do is look at an app like windy and look at the predicted winds and direction to help make decisions.  

3 hours ago, cnosil said:

Didn’t realize the arccos caddie did the same type of adjustments; learned something new.   Looked at the Arccos marketing material and it seems to do the same type of thing.  Would be an interesting comparison.  I personally wouldn’t buy Arccos  because of the ongoing subscription.  I thought it was something unique to the R1

For me, while there are charts and my experince, I would welcome the Confirmation/education on these environmental conditions from these tools.  If accurate they could give me accurate information at the time so I can fine tune things.   Currently the best I can do is look at an app like windy and look at the predicted winds and direction to help make decisions.  

I actually sometimes run the Arccos app along with Golfshot just so I get the wind calculations. Paying the subscription is crap, for sure, but I’m willing to bet that GolfLogix/Golfshot, or some other app adds wind in the near future. R1 just uses local weather information for the calculation so there’s no reason other apps couldn’t just access weather as well.

30 minutes ago, PMookie said:

I actually sometimes run the Arccos app along with Golfshot just so I get the wind calculations. Paying the subscription is crap, for sure, but I’m willing to be that GolfLogix/Golfshot, or some other app adds wind in the near future. R1 just uses local weather information for the calculation so there’s no reason other apps couldn’t just access weather as well.

It would require you to use another app, but take a look at Windy.  You could switch back and forth during the round.  

I lost my rangefinder (left it on a cart at my course and nobody turned it in 🤬)

So I need to replace it and thought I would give this one a shot.....plus it notifies you if you leave it which is a big plus!

I have signed up to be notified when they are available again. When I get one I will do a mini review on it

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

On 10/27/2021 at 3:12 PM, GolfSpy_THV said:

Having used SC200, PRGR,  Golfzon SIm (driving range feature) and been on a trackman a couple of times, My feedback on portable and upscale monitors is the information is relative: Meaning if you're looking to increase swing speed they're very capable of assessing changes. For club distance measurement there's nothing like real world data captured in ARRCOS and Shotscope. Launch monitors might provide initial distance and dispersion measures but to get reliable info you'd have to factor in several variables.   I use a combination of PRGR monitor for improving my swing speed and Shotscope for determining club distances. That combination is under $500. and well meets my needs, especially since products like Shotscope provide you with 'Performance Averages (meaning they knock out the highs and lows).  Even though you can manually do this in Trackman data - it's still somewhat event driven.  I would not rely on launch monitors to create a club distance chart - well perhaps as a starting point  - but not something I would ultimately rely on. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart