Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Impact on changing grip - very confused

From the moment I started golfing as a very young boy I’ve always used a 10 finger grip.

Last week I was using the simulator at my local college and decided to kind of screw around right before I left and tried the interlocking grip. Now obviously this feels very strange to me, however, when am gripping it this way my club head speed was anywhere from 7 to 9 mph faster. Could someone explain what aspect of the interlock grip is helping gain that much club head speed?

It’s possible that your hands are working together better in setting the wrists and getting the club in a better position. But without a side by comparison of swings with your old grip and your new grip on the same day it’s not possible to say what changed.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

When using a 10 finger grip, the bottom hand is closer to the club head which effectively lowers the pivot point on the shaft and limits the speed that can be generated.  When you use an interlocking or overlap grip, your hands are closer together, effectively moving the pivot point closer to the end of the shaft.

I used a 10 finger grip for many years, but as I got old(er) and my swing speed reduced, I began trying to increase speed, and this was one of my changes.  I use an overlap grip, and it felt horrible but I stuck with it.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

It could also be that you were warm, and swinging without any expectations. Some of my fastest swings have often felt easy.

Were you switching back and forth to see that difference?

:ping-small: g430 lst

:titleist-small: TS2 20* hybrid, New Level PF-2: P-7; 902: 6-5

:taylormade-small: hi-toe 51* and 57*

:mizuno-small: M Craft IV

I was switching back and forth while doing it. Usually hit a couple with interlock then a couple 10 fingers. I never thought of the higher pivot point theory. The only thing I could find during research that made even a little sense was the interlock could be lightening my grip pressure and taking tension out of my arms.

9 hours ago, Tincup_19 said:

I was switching back and forth while doing it. Usually hit a couple with interlock then a couple 10 fingers. I never thought of the higher pivot point theory. The only thing I could find during research that made even a little sense was the interlock could be lightening my grip pressure and taking tension out of my arms.

And that tension will affect wrist and club movement throughout the swing. Won’t be able to release the club and in the swing get it in the wrong place in the takeaway and backswing and then it’s compensation to get it to impact in a good position.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

On 10/27/2021 at 10:46 PM, Tincup_19 said:

Interesting. I interlock, and have mostly stuck with it since I was a kid. But when I use 10 fingers I actually generally go a mph or two faster. I’m wondering now if it has to do with your release pattern being better suited to having your hands closer together. When I use 10, I feel like my hands get more push-pull action, like a hockey shot kind of feel. 

:ping-small: g430 lst

:titleist-small: TS2 20* hybrid, New Level PF-2: P-7; 902: 6-5

:taylormade-small: hi-toe 51* and 57*

:mizuno-small: M Craft IV

I'm not in the norm. I use Interlocking on everything except woods. Woods are 10 finger. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

When I try the interlock it feels like I’m going to break my pinky fingers. 

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

Current use interlock for driver and FW. Irons and hybrid more comfortable with ten fingered  I can generate more speed with interlock.  Can’t explain the why exactly. it’s seem that hands work together better.  Interlock Doesn’t seem to work as well most of the time with my irons.  I like a slower speed through impact for those shorter clubs   The ten fingers grip works much better in slower speed.  Not sure why exactly. I think those extra finger on the grip needs a bit extra time to turn the club  over