Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Is MGS unbiased?

2 hours ago, Riverboat said:

Open minded experimentation, not a belief that one type of ball is always better for every player, in spite of price or what MGS or someone else's latest ball test says is all I'm suggesting. Just as you found, many balls will surprise you. All players should experiment with extended trials for different types of balls before locking in on what works best for them. 

I also agree with you on ball fittings. They want to sell their company's balls, and preferably the expensive ones. They are also looking for "ideal" launch and spin. Ideal for whom? The assumption is you want to fly it as high and long and stop it as quickly as possible. I and most mid to low swing speed players will get more overall distance with lower launch and more roll. I also like a consistent release and roll far more than an inconsistent attempt at a quick check up. And again, not bragging but simply pointing out that there's more than one way to play the game, I have more than 100 rounds in the 70s this year and two in the 60s, all with low compression $1 or less balls. 

One has to play the ball that fits their overall game plan---- Yep you and I think alike-- I have always said there is no one etched in stone way to properly play the game and that goes for the swing as well as the equipment.  Yep I have never dictated to someone what equipment should they play just because I play it and never will. Good play on the low compression cheaper brand balls. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

5 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

As someone who has played low compression balls and high compression balls while dealing with golfer and tennis elbow I felt no difference between the balls. Also thin shots in cold weather the feel in hands and arms are the same for me. 

The harsh feeling for me is due to shafts and how they handle vibration from mis hits including thin or fat shows and how they handle the vibration. 

Far as feel for me it is mostly about the wedges and putter--- Now the Cally Supersoft I can spin the crap out of with a short iron but putting for me feels like a marshmellow. The Srixon Soft Feel not as much but still some. Wilson Duos seems clicky and seem to jump off the putter for me. Now in all honesty I do putt with a 97 no insert Scotty most of the time with forays into the older Macgregor Ironmasters or Bulls Eyes.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

5 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

As someone who has played low compression balls and high compression balls while dealing with golfer and tennis elbow I felt no difference between the balls. Also thin shots in cold weather the feel in hands and arms are the same for me. 

The harsh feeling for me is due to shafts and how they handle vibration from mis hits including thin or fat shows and how they handle the vibration. 

Yep steel shafts can cause vibration even high frequency vibration> That was part of the nerve problems in my back after I healed up. One of the reasons I switched after about a year on and off experimentaion with the TM TP CBs with the Steel fiber 95 shafts. Also those clubs in the 5 6 & 7 irons have that polymer stuff. Once I learned to play those shafts those clubs have a buttery feel to me about like a Miura or Mizuno. Even the short irons with no polymer

The frequency vibration thing can be deep. I learned about it back in my car racing days and how it can pertain to terminal parts failure. To put it into perspective one of the reasons cars have vibration dampers on the front of the engine and why some Japanese and European companies put balance shafts into their inline engines. A friend of mine who is an instructor brought up the frequency vibration thing pertaining to golf clubs about a month age. I also consulted with both of my Neurosurgons and they both agree. I do have permanant nerve damage in my back. I know last week I put those irons into play and had no pain neither did I have any today. So there must be something to the vibration thing

G