Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

How much would you pay to play...

ForeRightAgain

i have a chance to play an exclusive private course that has hosted multiple US Open's, all I have to do is pay the greens fee.  Don't want to give the name because then people might know how much it costs.  i will say it's located in the Northeast.  Just curious what others would think is a fair price

Driver: Cobra F6

3W: Titleist TSi3

5W: TM RocketBallz -(my favorite club)

Hybrids: Cleveland 2-4

Irons: Callaway Apex DCB 4-PW

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMB 52 & 56

Putter: TM Rossa Monte Carlo Mallet 

Price and value are separate things.  Being an exclusive private course doesn’t mean I should pay a high price if I don’t get any more enjoyment than the local muni.   I generally don’t like to pay a lot to play golf because after the round is over there isn’t anything left other than the memory.  I’ll say $100 as long as it is a bucket list type course.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Fair price and value of something will mean different things to different people.

Torrey Pines is a pretty steep price for a non resident of San Diego compared to the resident price. I would pay the standard fee for it because it’s a course I wouldn’t have the chance to play often. Is $250 fair? Maybe but maybe not depending on the persons view.

Bethpage Black is worth the price they currently charge. Also another example of price difference between resident and non resident fees being significant. 

While I wouldn’t pay $5000 to play a course that’s normally well under that I would be willing to spend extra money for a rare opportunity 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

22 minutes ago, ForeRightAgain said:

i have a chance to play an exclusive private course that has hosted multiple US Open's, all I have to do is pay the greens fee.  Don't want to give the name because then people might know how much it costs.  i will say it's located in the Northeast.  Just curious what others would think is a fair price

Is it something you want to do? I'd pay 1k to play augusta or cypress. But other then those, anything over $200 is hard for me to commit to. Sometimes the memory and prestige is worth it, often it's not.

One of the nicest courses I've ever played is in Idaho, Circling Raven, it is as good as a track as there is. Great condition, it's as good as the courses in Bandon or Pinehurst. It's $100. Once you are paying more than $100, you are paying for the name. Which is cool,  like I said, sometimes it's worth it. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

I think I have a limit of $250, unless of course it was kicking into something to play Augusta or Pine Valley (which I know aren't options). I won't pay the $400+ to play number 2 here in Pinehurst, but would play $150 or so to play #1, 3, 5 etc or even drive up the road and pay the same $150 for Tobacco Road. 

When my wife asked if I wanted to leave Maine and move to where she grew up, I couldn't say no to Pinehurst, NC. I honestly don't spend much money on golf equipment, but I'm constantly reading reviews in case I ever get ready to buy

I swing left handed and have been the State of Maine Left Hander's champion since 1997, the last year they held the tournament. I'm currently a 7.1 handicap. Trying to get lower, but my gut gets in the way.

WITB

Driver: image.png.2a9745c9eca1e1dcd4c3ecfd5b2823e3.png Epic speed 9 degree

Irons: :titelist-small: 990's S300 Stiff shafts bought when I was in college. (Received a personal use discount, otherwise would've stuck with my Hogan Edge's)

3 Wood: :callaway-small:  Epic speed 15 degree or image.png.188f225bd9daa89b3976cdaa079d23d0.png PT15

52/56/60 :taylormade-small: Z Spin wedges (heck of a deal $100 for all 3 at Dick's in 2013)

Putter: :odyssey-small: OG Rossie

image.png

There is an intersection between quality, exclusivity and fun that can command a higher price in my mind. However, the few times I have paid over $200 for a round of golf (Kiawah, Pinehurst) I found myself thinking about the price during the round and especially after a bad shot. However, if this is a true bucket list item for you, you probably have to pay whatever it costs. The biggest lesson learned on this topic is, in the case of Kiawah, don't play one of the unknown other Kiawah courses that is still stupid expensive when you really just want to play the Ocean Course. Cougar Pointe at Kiawah is a boring, unmemorable golf course and it was a huge mistake to play it. 

The most fun golf courses I have ever played that was also in great condition are Pursell Farms in Alabama and Sweetens Cove. PF ranges from $100-150 and I loved it and never thought about the cost. Sweetens is like $100 to walk all day (for us that about 51 holes) and it was an absolute blast. That said, I am playing Harbour Town next month and that will be the most expensive round of golf I have ever played so hopefully I can put that behind me. Really only playing there because my Father in Law wants to play it. I would be happy with playing Old South or Hilton Head National for 1/4 the cost but whatever. 

Additional note: There is no golf course that is worth (to me) over $500 to play. Something like TPC Sawgrass, even once, is the equivalent of a year's worth of greens fees at my municipal courses and, plus, that course is going to absolutely kick me in the teeth. So yeah, not for me. 

Edited by vandyland

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

You lose me at about $150 and that's pushing it. That's why I refuse to play a lot of courses down around Naples during my annual March vacation.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Thanks for responding. My usual max is around $150.  One of the reasons why I haven't booked a trip to places like Pebble and Bandon.  The greens fee for the course I mentioned is even more than Bandon at it's peak and around the same as Pebble.  

A good friend of mine who lives in Chillicothe, OH had the opportunity to play at Firestone CC with a vice-president of Goodyear.  Worst round of his life because he said it was so beautiful that he was afraid to take a divot.  🤣

My wife and I had the opportunity to play TPC Sawgrass with a member, so we didn't need a forecaddie.  It still was $350 each; too rich for us.  My wife said she couldn't enjoy a round of golf that expensive.  So, it looks like our limit is $200... that's $400 because I'm paying for two!  

We paid $340 to play Kapalua Plantation course; that was the afternoon rate.  Spent another $200 having dinner on the patio of the restaurant!  But it was memorable!

I guess if the course costs more than a person wants to pay to play, then it shouldn't be your bucket list course.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Depending on the course and the opportunity I may have to play it again - I'd say around $200 out of my pocket, but maybe more if I knew this would be one of my only chances at playing it.  If work is paying for it - then $1,000 and bring on Cyrpress Point and Pine Valley if there is somehow a chance.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

I’d say $200 is my max but would have to be a prime course

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

I get to play a lot of nice courses. But if anything is over $125.00 your paying for the name. Is the name worth $200 to $500 for you to play it? To me no. For my company to impress a client yes.

I played Bethpage Black many times back before the tour came there. It was $22.00 to play because it was hard and you had to walk but always available tee times. The tour comes in, some changes are made to the course and now its upwards of $150 to walk and good luck getting a tee time. No carts are allowed on the black. The red course there is similar to the black and $100 the other 3 courses there cost $43. I know it's on a lot of peoples bucket list. But I think it's a rip off to charge that much just because the tour stops there every few years. 

If someone asked me to go play Pebble Beach I would pass. Is it a bucket list course, yes. Will I pay $550.00, nope. It's the principle for me. I think I would be pissed shortly into my round. Its just another golf course with great views and a name. If I shot an 80 it would be $6.87 per stroke. That puts it in perspective for me.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Okay along with this topic I want to see everyones thoughts on this. 

A few years back I went back to New Zealand on a vacation/work trip. I fell in love the the look and videos of Tara Iti. If none of you have looked it up, please do. It looks amazing and would likely be the best ever course I would have played.... yes I didn't pull the trigger on this. For everyones reference for non members you can play, but it is a true once in a lifetime situation. A guest can follow certain steps and play ONCE in their lifetime. So this isn't just a how much would you pay to play, but also how much would pay for a truly once in a lifetime golf experience? This also means you can play as many times as you like for the time you stay. Not just a single round.

A quick breakdown of the costs goes as follows
For me flights were free so no worries there, but NZ isn't a short or cheap flight. I think round trip mine was about 2800 US round trip which included a stop for a week in Australia. 
Rental car was $30 a day, so not bad there. 
However here is the golf stuff - Rooms (which are mandatory for play at Tara Iti) range from $1000 NZ a night ($750 US) to $4000 NZ a night. A breakfast is included in the price. Rounds of golf were $690 NZ a night and there is also a $200 caddie fee per round. 

Breakdown- 2 Rounds of golf, 1 night room = $4000 NZ or about $3000 US. 

So how I was looking at it I could have gone for 2 rounds with one on the day of arrival and stay a night then one the next day and then have to go and get driving to make my way down to the South Island where I was working. 

Ultimately I decided on not going as I truly wanted to, but the timing would have been rushed and I didn't want to feel that pressure if I was going to pull the trigger on it. If I had more time would I have? I'm not going to lie I was really really close... but for a true once in a lifetime golf experience what would you pay?

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I think the most expensive course is my area is about $75 on a weekend morning. So you get much higher, it better be a bucket list, or at least something by a famous architect, or America's top 100 etc. Like so many others on here, the cost depends on the specific course vs. the experience. Tour stops like Bethpage & Memorial Park in Houston are very affordable, so no question. Torrey Pines, Whistling Straits, any of The Open rotation etc. - probably worth it for a once in a lifetime round. Over $500 for Pebble? That gives me pause. So to answer the question I guess that's what, like $300?

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

On 10/29/2021 at 6:49 AM, DiscipleofPenick said:

I think the most expensive course is my area is about $75 on a weekend morning. So you get much higher, it better be a bucket list, or at least something by a famous architect, or America's top 100 etc. Like so many others on here, the cost depends on the specific course vs. the experience. Tour stops like Bethpage & Memorial Park in Houston are very affordable, so no question. Torrey Pines, Whistling Straits, any of The Open rotation etc. - probably worth it for a once in a lifetime round. Over $500 for Pebble? That gives me pause. So to answer the question I guess that's what, like $300?

Jealous of you that say your top local round is under $75 on weekends.  My cheapest local round, on a decent course, starts at $78 with cart.   I can play a state course with cart for around $56, but the conditions deteriorate as the year goes on and decent chance of a 5 hour round on weekends as well.

The other day played Ferry Point, the jewel of NYC's public courses.  Cost over $200 for a weekday round with cart.  Have to say with the cost and getting my butt handed to me by the setup, can't say it was enjoyable at all.

On 10/29/2021 at 3:30 AM, GolfSpy_APH said:

Okay along with this topic I want to see everyones thoughts on this. 

A few years back I went back to New Zealand on a vacation/work trip. I fell in love the the look and videos of Tara Iti. If none of you have looked it up, please do. It looks amazing and would likely be the best ever course I would have played.... yes I didn't pull the trigger on this. For everyones reference for non members you can play, but it is a true once in a lifetime situation. A guest can follow certain steps and play ONCE in their lifetime. So this isn't just a how much would you pay to play, but also how much would pay for a truly once in a lifetime golf experience? This also means you can play as many times as you like for the time you stay. Not just a single round.

A quick breakdown of the costs goes as follows
For me flights were free so no worries there, but NZ isn't a short or cheap flight. I think round trip mine was about 2800 US round trip which included a stop for a week in Australia. 
Rental car was $30 a day, so not bad there. 
However here is the golf stuff - Rooms (which are mandatory for play at Tara Iti) range from $1000 NZ a night ($750 US) to $4000 NZ a night. A breakfast is included in the price. Rounds of golf were $690 NZ a night and there is also a $200 caddie fee per round. 

Breakdown- 2 Rounds of golf, 1 night room = $4000 NZ or about $3000 US. 

So how I was looking at it I could have gone for 2 rounds with one on the day of arrival and stay a night then one the next day and then have to go and get driving to make my way down to the South Island where I was working. 

Ultimately I decided on not going as I truly wanted to, but the timing would have been rushed and I didn't want to feel that pressure if I was going to pull the trigger on it. If I had more time would I have? I'm not going to lie I was really really close... but for a true once in a lifetime golf experience what would you pay?

I’m willing to dump 5 digits for a once in a lifetime experience. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

my answer all depends on the circumstances of the round.  

if i'm on a trip and the round is part of a larger experience, then i'd be willing to pay more.  and there really isn't a top end to that budget.  i enjoy my vacations.

if i'm just driving to a course, playing it, eating a meal and driving home, i wouldn't go more than $500 out of pocket.

image.png.926c5dbfc594427870bc33c43f290630.pngSIM2 8º | KuroKage XD 70TX 

image.png.4f15ae5144722103242556b2db6d1033.pngSIM 3W 14º | Fujikura Atmos Black Tour Spec 9TX

image.png.bce9eebd9a20266703b359d88959bbcb.pngSIM2 5W 18º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo designU500 2i | Fujikura Ventus HB Black 10TX
Titleist logo | Logo gallery, Golf birthday party, Logo design T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Vokey Design Vector Logo | Free Download - (.SVG   .PNG) format - VTLogo.com SM6 52* SM8 56* SM8 60* | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
SIK Golf Partners with GolfPlus to Host Entry Level Professional Events!  DW | BGT Stability Tour

2 hours ago, ForeRightAgain said:

Jealous of you that say your top local round is under $75 on weekends.  My cheapest local round, on a decent course, starts at $78 with cart.   I can play a state course with cart for around $56, but the conditions deteriorate as the year goes on and decent chance of a 5 hour round on weekends as well.

The other day played Ferry Point, the jewel of NYC's public courses.  Cost over $200 for a weekday round with cart.  Have to say with the cost and getting my butt handed to me by the setup, can't say it was enjoyable at all.

Yep, and that's for a Pete Dye course too. I would say $50 is the average round for our public courses on a Saturday Morning. 18+cart.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

On 10/28/2021 at 8:09 AM, cnosil said:

I generally don’t like to pay a lot to play golf because after the round is over there isn’t anything left other than the memory.

Memories last forever.  The money... you can't take it to the grave with you.  About 20 years ago I spent $10,000 to fly two friends to Pebble Beach for 3 days of golf, lodging, meals, caddies, spa treatments, good wine.  I wouldn't trade it for anything.  People ask me if I wouldn't rather still have the money.  Nope!  The memories are priceless... that's what life is about.  I'd say it was about a $200,000 memory, so I got a bargain on it.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

DRIVER:     Rogue 10.5 degree

3 WOOD:     Mavrik Max 15.0 degree

21 DEGREE HYBRID:     Titleist 909H

IRONS:     Callaway XR Pros  5 - PW

GAP WEDGE:      Titleist Vokey  48 degree

SAND WEDGE:   Titleist Vokey  54 degree

LOB WEDGE:      Titleist Vokey  56 degree

LOB WEDGE:      Titleist Vokey  60 degree

PUTTER:     Odyssey Black #7

BALL:       Titleist Pro V1  

On 10/28/2021 at 8:01 AM, ForeRightAgain said:

Just do it.  Memories are better than telling others while on your deathbed how much you saved.  "I feel like I've got about 5 more minutes before I die, but I have to tell everyone in this room, everyone gathered around me, that I once saved $550 by not playing Pebble Beach."  How impressive is that?!

Edited by Double Mocha Man

On 10/28/2021 at 5:08 PM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I get to play a lot of nice courses. But if anything is over $125.00 your paying for the name.

No, you're paying to walk in the footsteps of Ben Hogan, Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus.  I played Pebble Beach a week after Tiger Woods holed out on #15 from the fairway to go on and win.  I asked my caddie if he could lead me to that spot in the fairway.  He did and I played my second shot from that spot.  I did not hole out.

I've payed $100-$200 to play TPC tournament courses, including $180 for Torrey Pines South afternoon rate. If it's a once-in-a-lifetime, do it. I played TPC Scottsdale several months ago, and when I got to 16...it was just a plain old par 3! But I played Sawgrass a few days before it closed for The Players, all the stands were up, mulch was down, course perfect, and when I got to 17...That Was PERFECT! (Pin back left, hit the retaining wall, ball bounced to 6', made the putt!). That was a great experience.

Edited by HDTVMAN

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

On 10/28/2021 at 10:01 AM, ForeRightAgain said:

What is the reason for which you are given access, escorted by member, unescorted by member, local golf association play day, outing, tournament?

Even though Pebble Beach is Pebble Beach, I might find it hard to part with that much money - I've become a little more miserly in my old age. It would depend on the circumstances, though. Places like Augusta or Pine Valley might get the wallet open a little faster. Maybe it's because I know I will never play either of those, whereas I can get on PB.

The most I've ever paid was $150 in Mexico and it was one of the best experiences on a golf course I've ever had, even with rental clubs.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

My family did a trip to St. Andrews and we played the Old Course and the Castle Course. Best golf trip of my life, being able to play the Old Course, get my picture with my dad and four month old son on the Swilcan Bridge was worth every penny. Went to Lahinch and I could not afford a round there at the time, so we played the castle course there, much cheaper, less crowded and runs parallel to Lahinch, second best golf trip of my life. Shot the same score at both courses almost 10 years apart. You're paying for the memories. Not a single person who has played St. Andrews or Pebble or Kiawah ever posts about the technical challenge of the course or the stimp rating on the greens. If you are going to a course with people that matter to you then how much is THAT time worth, because otherwise it is just a nice walk. 

Usually private clubs are the guest fee so I'm surprised it's that high.  They are making their money off of memberships, equity, food and beverage, not guest fees.  I have been able to play a very exclusive and expensive club in my area (not Northeast expensive but pretty pricey never the less) for the guest fee on a reciprocal and it was actually cheaper than the guest fees at my club which is more moderately priced.  If you are playing as a guest I can't imagine it's that much.  Of course if it's an outing all bets are off - they could get you for top dollar.

Places like Pebble are a totally different matter they are resort courses.  You will absolutely pay a premium to play it.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

In the USA, Pebble Beach might be the most expensive green fee;

and sometimes you can't get a TT unless, you book overnight stay in their lodge/resort...

=====================================

Years ago, I could have paid $500 to play PB.   I refused....

Now it might be $650....   

I still balk; also realize in my older years, I may never play there....  but it is not on my bucket list...

to each their own....   

as $650 might only feel like a muni fee to those who can afford to be members.

Edited by mywong23

Titleist 915 D2

beryllium Ping eye2

Vokey wedges

Odessey 2 ball putter

39 minutes ago, flyingwedges said:

What is the reason for which you are given access, escorted by member, unescorted by member, local golf association play day, outing, tournament?

Unescorted by a member

I’d pay the big bucks for the top courses.  I’ve had family vacation already this year where we paid upwards of $200 to play at greywalls in Michigan. $500 is probably my limit at this time but if it’s a once in a lifetime course I could do it. But I honestly think I’d be happy with the recent stay and play packages that maximize saved money

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

On 10/28/2021 at 11:01 AM, ForeRightAgain said:

$220 or more.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!