Jump to content
Testers Wanted: Star Grips! ×

How much would you pay to play...


ForeRightAgain

Recommended Posts

I live in the Northeast and will spend up to $250 guest fee at a high-end course, but normally that's "corporate golf" with a business associate.  If it's a once in a lifetime opportunity to play St. Andrews with your son or dad, crack open your wallet. It's the experience and the memories that matter. Don't go cheap. 

image.png.94f13df8145a5d3d3e8432352619fb85.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Duxman130 said:

If it's a once in a lifetime opportunity to play St. Andrews with your son or dad, crack open your wallet. It's the experience and the memories that matter. Don't go cheap.

I like your thinking...

DRIVER:     Rogue 10.5 degree

3 WOOD:     Mavrik Max 15.0 degree

21 DEGREE HYBRID:     Titleist 909H

IRONS:     Callaway XR Pros  5 - PW

GAP WEDGE:      Titleist Vokey  48 degree

SAND WEDGE:   Titleist Vokey  54 degree

LOB WEDGE:      Titleist Vokey  56 degree

LOB WEDGE:      Titleist Vokey  60 degree

PUTTER:     Odyssey Black #7

BALL:       Titleist Pro V1  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have been lucky enough to play about a dozen top 100 courses, both with a member and without.

The cheapest unaccompanied round has been about $250 and the typical is $300-350. As an example, I just played a top 30 course in the south last week and the charge was $325, plus $50 “base rate” for caddie fees.

It was well worth it! 

Driver: image.jpeg.e446bd483f55f864625f0214a6f0a0cc.jpeg M5 Tour - 9* EvenFlow White 65, 6.5

3 wood: :titelist-small: TS2 15* degree EvenFlow White 75, 6.5

Hybrid: image.jpeg.e446bd483f55f864625f0214a6f0a0cc.jpeg SIM Max 19 Tensei CK Pro Blue 90 TX 

 Irons:image.png.f39ca0723463243d8b97c536861568ed.pngEpic Forged 5-A, Aerotech Steelfiber fc90

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM6 - 50* 54* 60*

Putter: image.jpeg.b8329ade9a91708e1ab3934981395cad.jpeg Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wife and I are heading down to Oxnard CA - from Vancouver BC - in a couple of weeks to be with our daughter for Thanksgiving. We've planned a side trip up to Monterrey where I've booked a round at Pacific Grove - "poor man's Pebble Beach" - at $75 each, which is not bad. But I've also booked a round at Sandpiper in Santa Barbara. For us non-residents the rate is US$190 each with a cart. In Canadian 'pesos' that's C$225 each. So for us poor retirees that's a fair chunk of change. However, we are on vacation and the course promises wonderful Pacific coast scenery as we play which we are looking forward to. A few years back we played Wailea Gold in Maui and paid much more and it took me  maybe 4 holes for the shock of paying around 600 bucks to wear off and settle down and enjoy the fact we were playing golf in paradise. Not sure if I remember the ouch of the cost or the beauty of the course more.

BTW - Our home course - Peace Portal - costs a very affordable C$100 for both of us walking.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Memories last forever.  The money... you can't take it to the grave with you.  About 20 years ago I spent $10,000 to fly two friends to Pebble Beach for 3 days of golf, lodging, meals, caddies, spa treatments, good wine.  I wouldn't trade it for anything.  People ask me if I wouldn't rather still have the money.  Nope!  The memories are priceless... that's what life is about.  I'd say it was about a $200,000 memory, so I got a bargain on it.

 I agree with Double Mocha Man. I also payed an exorbitant amount to play, $175, Pebble Beach 30 years ago. I still remember every shot like it was yesterday. I was a dirt poor Marine at the time but one can't let opportunity go by. I don't regret it one bit. I still watch tournaments there and tell the everyone, yup, I hit it right there. Times change, though, at that time I was paying $30 to play Spyglass Hill and $10 to play Fort Ord Bayonet Course. Can't do that anymore.

Just saying though that once was enough for Pebble Beach unless Double Mocha Man has another jet waiting...🙂

 

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

I might pay 2 bills to play a course with the exception of Pebble, and that's only because Pebble holds a special place for me in golf history.  Whistling Straits is one that catches my eye and I might play it one day, but I only that as I have no idea how much $$$ it is .  

I cringe a $100 with cart to be honest out here in Oregon  

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I have played a lot of championship courses that have held PGA or European Tour events. (Even Majors) $200 is a very fair price. $250 would be the max I would pay. This will never happen, but I would pay more to play Augusta National, but nothing else.

Edited by GaDawg
Correct Spelling

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 7 months later...

Currently on vacation in the northern portion of Wisconsin so on our way up from the Chicago area me and my wife stopped at Erin hills to pick up some merchandise. Dana tasting looking facility but really located in the middle of nowhere. They have some cabins on the property, but I overheard and was talking to an associate in the pro shop, roughly $250 for a round plus caddie fees and tipping around $60 per person. Seemed pretty modest for a top course. The next stop took us to whistling straits where I almost fell out of a chair,   I know their is probably a stay and play package with Koehler but it was $650 a round for mid morning to afternoon golf. You could get out early when their is likely fog for $400 or after 5 for $270. Doesn’t include anything related to caddies. Totally crazy. I’m hoping they are just taking advantage of the fact the Ryder cup was just there. This was all for the whistling course. I will say the views at Erin hills and whistling straits were stunning from what we were able to see. Whistling straits compared to Erin hills will let the public eat at the restaurant which was a nice treat with a view 

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RollingGreens said:

Currently on vacation in the northern portion of Wisconsin so on our way up from the Chicago area me and my wife stopped at Erin hills to pick up some merchandise. Dana tasting looking facility but really located in the middle of nowhere. They have some cabins on the property, but I overheard and was talking to an associate in the pro shop, roughly $250 for a round plus caddie fees and tipping around $60 per person. Seemed pretty modest for a top course. The next stop took us to whistling straits where I almost fell out of a chair,   I know their is probably a stay and play package with Koehler but it was $650 a round for mid morning to afternoon golf. You could get out early when their is likely fog for $400 or after 5 for $270. Doesn’t include anything related to caddies. Totally crazy. I’m hoping they are just taking advantage of the fact the Ryder cup was just there. This was all for the whistling course. I will say the views at Erin hills and whistling straits were stunning from what we were able to see. Whistling straits compared to Erin hills will let the public eat at the restaurant which was a nice treat with a view 

Erin Hills is not a good course IMHO. Boring, few holes stand out from the rest, greens, even after the redesign, leave much to be hoped for.  As to caddies, the 'suggested tip' is a joke. No one suggests a tip, a tip is based upon quality of service, knowledge of the course, personality, etc.  Most at Erin and Whistling will leave you wanting, and they carry double, which is fine a local club but not at a place one plays maybe once a year at most.  They will also shove everything from your carry bag into a much smaller bag, without telling you until you get to the first tee.  I refused it, and I refuse to have a caddy doing doubles at places such as these. The one time I had to do it, I carried my own bag for most of the round, and they still expected a caddy fee and tip.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/7/2022 at 9:04 AM, flyingwedges said:

Erin Hills is not a good course IMHO. Boring, few holes stand out from the rest, greens, even after the redesign, leave much to be hoped for.  As to caddies, the 'suggested tip' is a joke. No one suggests a tip, a tip is based upon quality of service, knowledge of the course, personality, etc.  Most at Erin and Whistling will leave you wanting, and they carry double, which is fine a local club but not at a place one plays maybe once a year at most.  They will also shove everything from your carry bag into a much smaller bag, without telling you until you get to the first tee.  I refused it, and I refuse to have a caddy doing doubles at places such as these. The one time I had to do it, I carried my own bag for most of the round, and they still expected a caddy fee and tip.

Quality of service was definitely stated for the tip I just thought it would be easier to throw down the suggested amount especially with talking about green fees and caddies fees. Sorry it sounds that you had a bad experience in the past. I can only speak in what I saw and many caddies were double bagging with each patrons individual bag. It’s really about the experience with rounds like those. If you play well that’s the cherry on the top

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/21/2021 at 10:21 AM, pulledabill said:

I might pay 2 bills to play a course with the exception of Pebble, and that's only because Pebble holds a special place for me in golf history.  Whistling Straits is one that catches my eye and I might play it one day, but I only that as I have no idea how much $$$ it is .  

I cringe a $100 with cart to be honest out here in Oregon  

Winter resident rate at Bandon....  Take full advantage.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, RollingGreens said:

Quality of service was definitely stated for the tip I just thought it would be easier to throw down the suggested amount especially with talking about green fees and caddies fees. Sorry it sounds that you had a bad experience in the past. I can only speak in what I saw and many caddies were double bagging with each patrons individual bag. It’s really about the experience with rounds like those. If you play well that’s the cherry on the top

Not a bad experience, a typical experience.e I don't know any low single digit players who find the caddies at these places worth a damn.  They all try to double bag, and that too is pure BS, as that takes away any benefit a caddy might provide.  Experience?  Only a few things mattter:  how was the weather, condition of the course, whether the caddy was a distraction, whether the caddy had any beneficial local knowledge (rare), and the score at the end of the day.  Playing well is not the cherry on top. Mot getting distracted by a caddy who thinks they are god's gift, not being misled by a caddy, and not being paired with folks who shouldn't be there.  That might be the cherry on top.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...