TESTERS WANTED! ×

Recommendations for a Driving Iron

Headhammer

As the title says I'm thinking about adding a driving iron to my bag. I like my hybrids from the deck, but not off a tee box with a tight landing area or coming out of a shoot. Right now my longest iron is a 5 and I hit it about 190 off the tee. It is my goto club when faced with a tight line off the tee, but I would like to get a little more distance. I feel more in control with an iron so I'm looking for an easy to hit & control iron. Whatcha got?

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

1 minute ago, Headhammer said:

As the title says I'm thinking about adding a driving iron to my bag. I like my hybrids from the deck, but not off a tee box with a tight landing area or coming out of a shoot. Right now my longest iron is a 5 and I hit it about 190 off the tee. It is my goto club when faced with a tight line off the tee, but I would like to get a little more distance. I feel more in control with an iron so I'm looking for an easy to hit & control iron. Whatcha got?

Hit driving irons during most wanted testing and the size and shape of these clubs really vary.  Some are more iron like and some are more hybrid like.  Overall I was impressed with this years clubs and for me the ones that were more hybrid shaped worked better.   I personally liked the Titleist U-505 but it has a pretty wide sole.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I just went back and read that most wanted report. I prefer a more iron like shape vs a hybrid shape.Saw Srixon was the leader, but the adjustability of the Cobra, and the fact that I'm a Cobra guy has piqued my interest. 

1 hour ago, Headhammer said:

I just went back and read that most wanted report. I prefer a more iron like shape vs a hybrid shape.Saw Srixon was the leader, but the adjustability of the Cobra, and the fact that I'm a Cobra guy has piqued my interest. 

I am not a cobra person so it wouldn't be my choice 🙂    If you want more iron shape the DTC brands seemed to be more iron like.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Srixon and Titleist IMO have the best iron like driving iron. TaylorMade udi have been good in the past 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I've got the cobra king utility, I love it. I can't say it is better or worse than anything else, but for me it has the right look and produces consistently great shots. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

A lesser used product I would say, but i have the G410 Crossovers from Ping and do really love them. They have worked great for me and I even introduced one to replace my 4 iron. Not sure how the newest one performs, but love the look of the 410 overall and wish I could find a 425 to give a look and hit to compare. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I've got two three club options between driver and 5-iron.

The best option for my own club is

18, 21° fairway woods as the only fairway options between driver and 5-iron;

then a driving iron to use strictly as a driving club.

The more versatile option for playing at other courses would be

16.5º fairway wood with 19 and 22º hybrids. All three fairway playable.

(Downside is that for me, the hybrid feels less safe than a driving iron on scary driving holes.)

The eleven staying constant would be

driver

5-GW

56-08, 60-06

and putter.

To try a driving iron without paying too much, try to find an 18º Mizuno Fli Hi II with the stock Exsar Blue shaft  (circa 2004).  

Bending it to 19º makes it a touch easier to elevate.

Worked for me.  Newer ones are even better, but this one is pretty good..

Edited by BostonSal

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

I use a Titleist U500 4 iron with a GD Tour AD-UT 85 S 3-iron length shaft in it. Hit it straight nearly every time, but sometimes much higher than I would like. I get great consistency off the fairway as well, but a pretty high trajectory for me either way, tee or turf. My U500 4 iron is only a degree stronger than my T200 5 iron, so if I had to do it all over again, I'd probably get the U500 in a 3i head. Of course, then it would be similar to my TS3 20* hybrid  (though, hopefully offering different trajectories.)  I've thought about bending it 2 degrees strong, but have been advised against it.....at least until it's out of warranty. Evidently, the U500s don't take well to bending. I don't know that for a fact, but it was suggested to me by my clubfitter when I brought up the idea.

Titleist TSi3 Driver/TSI2 3W/TSI3 20*H

Titleist U500 4i/T200 5-PW/Vokey SM8 48/54/60

Scotty Newport 2 Select

I have the Sub 70 699U pro in my bag and have been very happy with it.  I think you can demo it as well from them. 

I used to have the previous Cobra DI and the Sub 70 is much better IMO

Ping G430 Max 9* turned up to 10* in draw setting X-Stiff Ping Tour Chrome 2.0 60

Srixon ZX 3w Ventus Velocore Blue 7s

Ping G425 5w X-Stiff Ping Tour 70 

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

Srixon ZX& 7-PW  Modus Tour 105 Stiff 

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore 50* 54* 58* TrueTemper Dynamic Gold Spinner

See the source image Phantom X5 Putter

Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond <>

I keep a Titleist 816h1 18* in my bag that I use successfully off the grass and the tee....am a senior golfer (75) and can out drive most of the other seniors in our league with it over their drivers.       

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 20.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 6-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1s (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

U-505 is going to be the most confidence inspiring / forgiving. Wide sole and graphite shaft. I replaced my 4 iron with a U-505 and its very versatile from a flight perspective. So far so good. 

WIMB

Driver: Cobra Radspeed 9* Motore X F3 S

3W: SIM2 Max 15* Ventus Blue S

3H: SIM2 Max 19* Ventus Blue S

Irons: Srixon ZX5 4-AW Nippon NS PRO Modus3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: Vokey SM8 Black (54*, 58*)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11 2021

Bags/Accessories: Stitch SL2, Garmin S40 + Precision Pro NX7 Pro Slope (old model)

I've not long bought a 2, 3 and 4 Titleist 712U irons.  I picked them up for very reasonable prices off eBay.  The shafts weren't to my liking so I got them all re-shafted the same with TT Dynamic Gold SL shafts.

I've tried them against my 19°, 21° and 24° Titleist 910H hybrids and hit them just as well to about the same length but lower, so better for links courses in the wind.

I haven't bought a brand new club in 8 years.  Don't feel as though I need to.

I use a U510 2I and it is my favorite club. It's what I hit from most tees and will often hit for long second shots. I usually get 210-240 yards off the tee with a good strike dependent on roll out. Interestingly that club also has my longest recorded tee shot at 285 yards (with the wind at gamble sands, just crested a hill and got all the roll). I rally have no complaints as I find it easier to hit than either my 3H (which tbh I hate and will probably replace next season with a 3I, excited to try the U-505) or my 3-Wood. Shaft wise I use the Tensei AV Raw White 90S, I absolutely love it but a lot of my friends are not huge fans because it is a very inactive shaft.

For adde context i'm a high handicapper (~36) and fairly tall (I play it +1.5 inches).

Driver: :taylormade-small:M6 (Crown cracked, TSi2 on order)

3-Wood: :callaway-small: Mavrik, Project-X Riptide 60S + 1 Inch

2-Iron: :titelist-small: U-510, Tensei AV Raw White 90S + 1.5 Inch

3-Hybrid: :cobra-small: RAD Speed ONE Length, Aerotech Steel Fiber 110 + 1.5 Inches

4-Hybrid: :taylormade-small:  GAPR Mid, KBS Hybrid 90S

5-GW: :cobra-small: RAD Speed ONE Length, Aerotech Steel Fiber 110 + 1.5 inches

56°/60°: :cobra-small: King MIM ONE Length, Aerotech Steel Fiber 110 + 1.5 inches

Putter: :callaway-small:Toulon Las Vegas H7, Stroke Lab 37.5 inches

Bag: :Ogio: 2020 Convoy SE 

Rangefinder: Nikon CoolShot Pro Stabilized

I have a Titleist U-I5 1 iron. I really like when I an having an off day with the big stick and I also us it instead of a 3 wood. Also when I need to go under branches limbs, or its windy. 

I also just got (last week), the Sub70 3 Hybrid. Haven't had it on the course yet, but so far on the range its pretty good.  

Both I feel will serve their purpose. The 1 iron is longer so I now I don't have such a gap from my driver to my 4 iron. 

Sub 70 949 D 9* HZRUDS 60G 6.5 smoke RDX shaft. 

Sub 70 949X 4 wood ALDILA ABV 65-S shaft

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

Callaway 56 and 58 wedge. 

OG White Hot #1 putter

On 10/28/2021 at 3:28 PM, Headhammer said:

I highly recommend the Cobra King Utility Irons. I cant say much for the newest version but I just picked up the previous blacked out version in the 3 iron. It looks as close to a standard iron as you're gonna find but with all of the goodies that a UDI has packed into it. Top line is actually very thin considering and there's just the slightest amount of offset. Off the tee the thing just flies. I've only had it out for 1 round but off the deck I found it to work well on both fairway and rough lies. I bought it to take the place of an Epic Flash 3 hybrid. The hybrid was great when I made contact but for the few times per round that I actually used it, I found that I really only get a sold hit about 1 out of every 4 tries. Mentally, because you're using irons all throughout the round, when you need to pull out the driving iron, it isn't as much of a mental transition. It's just another iron but also happens to smash the ball 240 yds. 

I found mine in minty fresh condition for $100. I put a $25 Kuro Kage Black shaft in it and the things a consistency beast. 

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

I have the #3- 712U for those days when I put the driver in a corner because it's being bad. Love it. Swing a bit too hard with it trying to out drive my mates drivers sometimes and miss the sweet spot which never turns out good. Off the deck is fine as well on the fairway with a flat lie.

Cobra F9 with Atmos tour spec

Cobra F9 3wood Atmos Tour spec

Titleist AP2 3-Gap X100

Titleist BV SM 54/58

Spider Tour Black putter

On 10/28/2021 at 1:46 PM, Headhammer said:

I still hit a 1981, Ping Eye 1-iron, but only off the tee, for tight fairways. I used to be able to hit it off the deck, but not anymore. I used it between my 3 & 5 wood, but if I nutted it, I could get more distance than 3 wood. That was the benefit of the Ping Eye. Hit it right and it took off. 

:titelist-small: TSi3 #1-3-5 all with Tensi Blue S-flex

:callaway-small: 2019 Apex Pro black 3 & 4H Catalyst 70 or    

:titelist-small: TSi3 #2-3 depending on how I’m playing. Tensi Blue

:callaway-small: 2019 Calloway Apex Pro black, 5-PW, Catalyst 100 - 6.0, Super Stroker Jumbo   

:cobra-small:  2020 RadSpeed OL 4H, 5-GW … won’t get to actually use till warmer weather

:callaway-small: 2019 PM-grind, 56° & 60°, KBS steel, Green Cap

:taylormade-small: Blue Spider EX

:titelist-small: Pro V1X

On 10/28/2021 at 1:46 PM, Headhammer said:

Since you are a "Cobra guy", the Cobra King Utility Irons might be a good place to start.  Sub 70s 699U is also a pretty good choice, although from my experience it is not quite as forgiving as the Cobra King Utility Iron -- still pretty close, though.  I personally like the Tour Edge Exotics EXS Ti Utility Irons, as well as the last three generations of Exotics utility irons that preceded the EXS Ti model [I'm a Tour Edge Fitter/Dealer, so I have tried them all and actually have demos of the last few generations with a variety of shaft in them].

A compromise between modern (e.g. - larger headed, mini-fairway style) hybrids that may suit your needs are some more "iron-like" hybrid clubs.  This included a few of the Cobra models, as well as the Tour Edge Exotics hybrids that have "Pro" in their name (EXS Pro, and even better the CBX Pro).  The Sub 70 949 Pro hybrid also fits in this category, as do some older Adams "Pro" hybrids (standard pro or Pro Mini) that had more than a bit of a cult following around here (I have several of these clubs in lofts ranging from 17* to 23*).

Finally, if you can find a Mizuno Fli-Hi utility iron (NOT the JPX Fli-Hi hybrid/utility), or the newer MP18 Fli-Hi, I found these to be the best utiliy/driving irons that I ever hit.  However, you better strike them pure, or you will be punished in feel as well as distance loss.

I hope that this helps!

Edited by funkyjudge

DR - Callaway Paradym X, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - T.E. Exotics C722, Diamana D+ 82-S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Callaway Epic Flash, ACCRA Tour X 80S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X (5-GW), KBS TGI 75-R

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - Makefield VS custom, 34", 67* lie, 1.75* loft

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus (OnCore ELIXR or Maxfli Tour S in winter)

Bags - Vessel

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

I was looking for something to carry to replace my CLK hybrid. It’s a great club but I just hit it too far to use in place of a 3 iron no matter how I adjust it. I play the MP20 MMCs, 4-PW so I just got the MP20 HMB 3 iron. I’m hoping it will help. It looks and works more like an iron. I’ll just change the loft weaker on my 3 wood to help with gapping. 

Edited by John Bachman

Gapr lo if you can find one. I used it last time I played with @MattF and was able to attack par 5s with it quite well

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I use a Cobra King sz 4 iron as a driving iron.  Has a i95 aerofiber shaft in it.  Best decision ever and probably my best weapon.  I can hit it anywhere, off the tee, out of the rough.  It’s a game improvement club so it’s super forgiving and ridiculously long.  I always feel super confident when it’s in my hands.  Got the idea from fowler who at some point was playing a f9 as a driving iron.  If your a cobra guy should def try one.  

Also I’m not sure if the king utility and forged tec irons are any different since they look exactly the same, but I play the forged tec and the speed zone I suggested is a million times more forgiving and much longer.  I’m a 1.2 index and I wouldn’t want to use my four iron forged tec as my driving iron. Try the speedzone or radspeed.  I wouldn’t play them for anything less than a driving iron personally but you will be amazed how easy they are to hit and how long they are.  It’s a perfect driving iron.

SIM UDI 18*

TaylorMade M5 9* with Ventus Blue Velocore Shaft

TaylorMade M6 15* 3 wood

TaylorMade Sim Max 19*

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged Irons 4-GW, 1.5* Upright

Mizuno T7 58* TT Wedge Flex Shaft

Mizuno MP T 53* TT Wedge Flex Shaft

Odyssey White Hot PRO 2.0, Black Rossie

Rapidly Dropping Handicap (Was a 2.8 in 2011, got addicted to the power I had (122 mph Driver) and blew my game up with crazy slices.  Fought it for a while and decided to put the clubs "in the closet" for a while.  Ended up playing only 2-3 times per year until 2017.  Started playing 2-3 times per month until March of this year--decided to make a decision: Take a set of lessons and make a choice; Either see moderate improvement, or sell my clubs and just quit the game altogether.  Thankfully, a good coach was able to see some of the CRAP that had gotten into my swing and gotten me quickly back on track.  Hadn't broken 90 in about 4 years, shot a 77 a few weeks back, and haven't shot over 84 since April!

Thanks for all the great suggestions. An additional question; since I will use the club mostly as a driving iron would you recommend staying with the same shaft in my irons or go up to the beefier shat in my woods?

I play a 19-degree Ping G400 3-iron Regular flex.  The sole is wider than my Ping G Max irons and it's weighted.  I rarely have a miss with this club from the rough, fairway or tee.  My miss rate with hybrids was unacceptable costing too many strokes.  10 years ago, I played a 19-degree Titleist 503-H Stiff Flex.  It was prone to the occasional hook like other hybrids.  That doesn't happen with the Ping G400 crossover.

I am a 20-handicap senior.  Hybrids just don't work for me.  I notice other seniors struggle from the rough with hybrids and fairway woods.  They're called fairway woods for a reason.  To save strokes, get a crossover iron, take your medicine, and hit it down the fairway for an easy up and down.

Re shaft, it’s always hard to generalize what will work for someone else.  I play steel in my irons and went with with a graphite steelfiber i95.  It’s only about 10 grams lighter than my steel shafts in my irons so not to big an adjustment.  If you put a graphite in I would recommend something close to the weight in your current irons (within 10-20 grams lighter.)  Personally I couldn’t be happier with shaft and club.  If you go with the speedzone, you can buy direct from cobra and an upgraded graphite shaft will only cost you between 15-50 dollars more.  The speedzone single irons are on sale for $86 so the whole thing is also going cheaper than a titleist utility iron.  I’ve only hit 2 other utility irons but there’s no way I would trade anything for my speedzone.  It’s just so easy to hit.

On 10/28/2021 at 6:46 PM, Headhammer said:

This sounds a lot like me. My longest set iron is a 5 carrying about the same as you, then I carry two hybrids at 19 and 24 degrees, and then I'm currently using a P790 UDI 2 iron. I loved it at first, then went out of love with it for a while. The struggle I had was the head felt very light, so I've added some lead tape to it and I've been enjoying it again. Standard carry with that is around 215, but I use it to hit a lot of knockdown shots. If the ground is firm though, it can roll out to 260+ as it goes like a bullet.

Before that I used an MP H4 Mizuno driving iron, which, being a Mizuno, looked and felt great. Bit of a chunky head in comparison to the P790 UDI though. They had metal shafts in them though, and so I switched to the TaylorMade because I wanted to try something with graphite and less weight.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/29/2021 at 7:37 PM, vagabon68 said:

Got a Taylormade 790 2 udi. Don’t use it due to beyond my skills lol. I would be willing to part with 

Pics?  Might be interested!

TaylorMade M5 9* with Ventus Blue Velocore Shaft

TaylorMade M6 15* 3 wood

TaylorMade Sim Max 19*

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged Irons 4-GW, 1.5* Upright

Mizuno T7 58* TT Wedge Flex Shaft

Mizuno MP T 53* TT Wedge Flex Shaft

Odyssey White Hot PRO 2.0, Black Rossie

Rapidly Dropping Handicap (Was a 2.8 in 2011, got addicted to the power I had (122 mph Driver) and blew my game up with crazy slices.  Fought it for a while and decided to put the clubs "in the closet" for a while.  Ended up playing only 2-3 times per year until 2017.  Started playing 2-3 times per month until March of this year--decided to make a decision: Take a set of lessons and make a choice; Either see moderate improvement, or sell my clubs and just quit the game altogether.  Thankfully, a good coach was able to see some of the CRAP that had gotten into my swing and gotten me quickly back on track.  Hadn't broken 90 in about 4 years, shot a 77 a few weeks back, and haven't shot over 84 since April!