Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Recommendations for a Driving Iron

Headhammer

I’m using the New Level utility and have been happy with it. I had the P790 UDI last year and they perform similarly for me. The New Level has a slightly wider sole, but they narrow the head as it approaches the top line so it doesn’t look wide at address. 

https://www.newlevelgolf.com/online-store/NLU-01-Utility-Irons-p227515327

2360092856.jpg

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

For those of you that have a driving iron and a hybrid, do you feel like (off a tee) the driving iron is more accurate? I know a hybrid has more spin so it (if the lofts are equal) will hold a green better but I really just want an accurate 220 yd club off the tee for a few tight (30 yd landing zone) holes I play. My hybrid is pretty accurate but, as everyone has mentioned, has the ability to hook and I cannot really ever get it to fade. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

I’ve used the cobra utility in the past and I wasn’t much of a fan.  Was interested in the sub70 driving iron because of the various shaft options. I currently have a 4 iron in the hot metal lineup and love it. Although for the sake of tinkering I thought of changing to a hybrid/driving iron shaft in the 4 iron

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

2 hours ago, vandyland said:

For those of you that have a driving iron and a hybrid, do you feel like (off a tee) the driving iron is more accurate? I know a hybrid has more spin so it (if the lofts are equal) will hold a green better but I really just want an accurate 220 yd club off the tee for a few tight (30 yd landing zone) holes I play. My hybrid is pretty accurate but, as everyone has mentioned, has the ability to hook and I cannot really ever get it to fade. 

I am more accurate with the driving iron on average but that is because I have a tendency to hook hybrids.  I think I've had a terrible mis-hit 1 time this year with my driving iron.  Last year and early this year I had a ton of terrible mis-hits with my hybrid.  It might be the specific hybrid I had, but I've had bad experiences in the past so I tend to avoid them most of the time.

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Try Mizuno.  I bot a MP 18 MMC Fli Hi 3 iron, fitted to a Recoil shaft.  Works good for me.  Hit lo stingers off the deck, or hit regular lofted shot, and off the tee is good for 80% of my driver distance and no slice.  I bot it cuz I already had an older Mizuno Fli Hi 24degree that is a GFF.  The new ones are not GFF but Miz is good with their metallurgy. 

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  forged Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex.

Gap: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5, Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7.

Sand: Ancien Regime 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, Apex shaft. Heavy sole.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" bronze or copper. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

I use a Hogan UiHi , it’s my favorite iron most of the days when I go out.

Ping G 400 Max 10.5   
willwood irons 4 to pitching wedge Edisonwedges 49 53 57

taylormade big toe 60

Toulon design Las Vegas 

•  

Wait a few months and be sure to demo the Mizuno 2022 FliHi Driving irons.  Mizuno released this video yesterday 11/28/21   2 thru 4 

PingDriver: G430 Max
Ping: 5W, 7W, 9W / 4H
Irons: 6,7,8,9 Mizuno Pro 225 / PXG 0311P Gen6
Wedges: Mizuno T20 43 PW,  T22/S23 50/54/58
Putter: Newport2, PXG Closer

8 hours ago, vandyland said:

A driving iron will always have the advantage of a flat face vs the bulge and roll on a hybrid to help lateral dispersion. The driving iron CG is closer to the face than on a hybrid due to the head size, this also reduces gear effect on strikes away from CG. Looking at my own data I consider my dispersion with my driving iron to be around 40 yards on most shots versus 50-55 for a hybrid. This excludes my worst misses. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

On 10/30/2021 at 9:09 AM, Headhammer said:

Thanks for all the great suggestions. An additional question; since I will use the club mostly as a driving iron would you recommend staying with the same shaft in my irons or go up to the beefier shat in my woods?

I've been playing a Ben Hogan UiHi with a steel shaft in it, and am likely going to find a nice graphite shaft for it this off-season. Steel feels a bit heavy to me at that length, and I'm also more concerned with distance with that club, because it's nearly exclusively a tee ball club for me. 

Finding a good graphite option hasn't been the most straightforward for me though, so there is that to consider as well.

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

9 hours ago, ncwoz said:

I've been playing a Ben Hogan UiHi with a steel shaft in it, and am likely going to find a nice graphite shaft for it this off-season. Steel feels a bit heavy to me at that length, and I'm also more concerned with distance with that club, because it's nearly exclusively a tee ball club for me. 

Finding a good graphite option hasn't been the most straightforward for me though, so there is that to consider as well.

I Dmed Mike @cobragolf and he recommended I put the same shaft that is currently in my hybrids.

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

Well that does it. I am going to order the demos for the 699 Pro Utility and the 699 Utility this week and hit them against my hybrid looking at both accuracy and distance off a tee. I have room in my bag for a tee only fairway finder, of course there is the added bonus if I can hit these off the fairway and/or chip with them. I hope to use the Trackman I have access to and post the results in the unofficial review forum. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

19 hours ago, ncwoz said:

Have you tried lighter steel options? I am in the same scenario with the Ping G700 4 iron I use with their AWT 2.0 shaft and am wondering about the gains going to a graphite shaft that would be around 2" longer. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

13 hours ago, BMart519 said:

Have you tried lighter steel options? I am in the same scenario with the Ping G700 4 iron I use with their AWT 2.0 shaft and am wondering about the gains going to a graphite shaft that would be around 2" longer. 

Sorta, the shaft that's in there now is a softer and lighter steel shaft. I don't think weight is the issue with that shaft, but the flex and overall feel doesn't suit my liking. I think getting a similar profile to my irons, with slightly less weight and still enough flex would be the goal, but that's a chunk of variables to all consider. Thus, my search continues 😉

Right Handed

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

WITB thread here

On 11/24/2021 at 9:02 AM, CRW said:

I’m using the New Level utility and have been happy with it. I had the P790 UDI last year and they perform similarly for me. The New Level has a slightly wider sole, but they narrow the head as it approaches the top line so it doesn’t look wide at address. 

https://www.newlevelgolf.com/online-store/NLU-01-Utility-Irons-p227515327

2360092856.jpg

Nice choice! However, you better hit that club on the sweet spot, or you will be severely punished in both feel and distance/accuracy. I know because I have one in 21* loft, and have used it on-and-off since mid-2020.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

That new Mizuno driving iron looks nice.  Like the black colour of it as well.  Would like to see how the top line looks at address.

:titelist-small:  TSR 3   9.0  GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:titelist-small: U-510 19 Utility Iron HZDUS Smoke Black 6.0 Stiff

:Takomo:  5-PW 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2 - 35”  / Super Stroke Slim 3.0

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Loyal MCC Plus 4 Sensor User

On 11/29/2021 at 9:48 PM, ncwoz said:

I've been playing a Ben Hogan UiHi with a steel shaft in it, and am likely going to find a nice graphite shaft for it this off-season.

So I have been demoing the Ben Hogan UiHi with a graphite recoil shaft in it and I have some thoughts. I think the goal of these clubs is to have an easy to hit, high launching long iron which sounds good in theory but, to me, is really only for someone who doesn't like hybrids or high lofted fairway woods. The UiHi (granted it is a 4 iron since that is the only loft they offer as a demo) spins more than I would like and launches higher than I would like which means it behaves more like a hybrid and less like a penetrating wind cheater that I am looking for. Even with 4 degrees less of loft in the 3i, based on the launch window of the 4 the 3 is still going to throw it too high. All that is to say, it is a good club, it just doesn't answer the question I am asking. 

I am getting the Sub 70 699 pro delivered today (demo also) that has a graphite shaft in it that is slightly heavier so I am hoping this will launch quite a bit lower. I also have the Sub 70 699 standard utility but I am really eyeing the pro as I think it will launch lower. 

6 hours ago, vandyland said:

So I have been demoing the Ben Hogan UiHi with a graphite recoil shaft in it and I have some thoughts. I think the goal of these clubs is to have an easy to hit, high launching long iron which sounds good in theory but, to me, is really only for someone who doesn't like hybrids or high lofted fairway woods. The UiHi (granted it is a 4 iron since that is the only loft they offer as a demo) spins more than I would like and launches higher than I would like which means it behaves more like a hybrid and less like a penetrating wind cheater that I am looking for. Even with 4 degrees less of loft in the 3i, based on the launch window of the 4 the 3 is still going to throw it too high. All that is to say, it is a good club, it just doesn't answer the question I am asking. 

I am getting the Sub 70 699 pro delivered today (demo also) that has a graphite shaft in it that is slightly heavier so I am hoping this will launch quite a bit lower. I also have the Sub 70 699 standard utility but I am really eyeing the pro as I think it will launch lower. 

Interesting! Certainly might just be a case of different swings needing different clubs, unique deliveries, etc. but I do typically find the Hogan UiHi gets the ball flight I'm looking for - stock mid to low, but then I can (usually) deloft it a bit at impact for a lower ball flight if I'm really trying to keep it below the wind. I do wonder if the high flight you're seeing is more influenced by the 4 iron loft or even the shaft than you're realizing, but you're the one who's seen and experienced it first-hand so it would be silly for me to tell you you're wrong 🙂 

There were pretty varying experiences from the testers of the UiHi  as well (pretty sure I still have the link in my bio), but I personally think that had more to do with differing swings and deliveries than the club itself. Just another reason to get fit! And also a frustrating part of this part of the bag and getting fit - below Driver/3W and above irons, it seems many fitting places have much less options, or none at all.

Good luck with the Sub 70!

Right Handed

WITB thread here

Sorry for the grainy first photo. I find it hard to photograph clubs! The photos are comparing the 699-U to the 699 pro in the same loft (3 iron - 19*). The first photo has the pro on the left and the U on the right. The pro has less offset and slightly less back end but it may be hard to tell in this photo. Also, it looks like the pro is longer due to the angle but they look very close in blade length to the naked eye.

D05BFD54-5478-4B22-813D-7303B397D447.jpeg

The second photo shows the toe-on visual. Here you can see the pro (left) has a narrower sole and shallower back cavity. 

2B45057E-8483-448E-9EB6-123CA6A8C01E.jpeg

The third picture shows the soles compared to each other. The pro (left) being narrower and a touch shorter blade length. 

43B536C8-9E0D-401E-A779-91E60873BF9B.jpeg

The fourth picture shows the backs of the clubs and just how similar they look. Overall, I am assuming the 699-U will launch a bit higher and spin a tad more but we will just have to see. These seem so close on specs I think the only way I will tell much of a difference is on a launch monitor so I am going to try to jump on the Trackman this week. 

6E7DCA91-5397-462A-BD13-E120BDE23BD5.jpeg

Edited by vandyland

So is the Pro on the left in every pic but the last?

Great pics...thnaks....just wanna make sure

:Sub70:    849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 60g 

:tour-edge:   EXS 7wood  Tensei Blue R

:Sub70:    699 4-7i   USTRecoil 660 F3 R

:Sub70:    699 Pro 8-AW  USTRecoil 660 F3 R    

:Sub70:   JB Forged 54 and JB Forged 58 Full Face

:Sub70:    TAll Wide Blade putter

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9

Grint_Shield_Logo.svg The Grint Pro

2 hours ago, ncwoz said:

I do wonder if the high flight you're seeing is more influenced by the 4 iron loft or even the shaft than you're realizing, but you're the one who's seen and experienced it first-hand so it would be silly for me to tell you you're wrong 🙂 

I'm sure it does have to do with the 4 iron loft, a softer graphite shaft and just me in general. I hit the ball pretty high so I may be looking for something that doesn't exist! I did hit the Taylormade UDI 2 iron and it was launching in the ideal window (based on Trackman data) but I am not really dying to drop $250 if I can get a Sub 70 or Hogan club that can do that at 1/2 the price. I love my PTxPro irons and wanted to give a Hogan a try everywhere but I don't think the UiHi is for me. 

As always, I was a bit disappointed with the Hogan options for shafts. Would love to have a Project X option. The Recoil shafts, that are the only graphite shaft offered, are mid-high launching which is not really what I am after in this club. Thankfully, Sub 70 has a Project X option for me to try. 

On 11/29/2021 at 10:48 PM, ncwoz said:

The hosel size looks to be the issue with re-shafting driving irons with graphite. I was looking a few weeks back on golf works and saw that graphite tour was about the only  shaft I could go with unless I wanted to start sanding down hybrid shafts to match the hosel size 

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

4 hours ago, RollingGreens said:

The hosel size looks to be the issue with re-shafting driving irons with graphite. I was looking a few weeks back on golf works and saw that graphite tour was about the only  shaft I could go with unless I wanted to start sanding down hybrid shafts to match the hosel size 

That's another good point. I've found a few random shafts with the correct hosel size that I might give a go, but the options are limited. @edingc pointed me to the Recoil 110's and MMT Utilities as other options that also have the .355" taper if you're looking for other ones in addition to the Graphite Design shaft

Right Handed

WITB thread here

Well, hit the Sub 70 699 pro utility 3 iron, 699 regular utility 3 iron, and Ben Hogan UiHi 4 iron all against each other today using my hybrid as the baseline. Surprisingly, or not surprisingly, I could just as easily hook the long irons as I can the hybrid. So my initial thought is that none of these driving irons will really benefit me. I hit them all on trackman and was getting the following averages on center strikes:

Sub 70 699 Pro Utility (19.5*) - 98.5 mph club head, 140 ball speed, 1.43 smash, 8.2 launch angle, 3982 spin, 205 yd carry, 225 total
Sub 70 699 Utility (19.5*) -  98.3 mph club head, 140 ball speed, 1.44 smash, 9.0 launch angle, 4200 spin, 208 carry, 225 total
Ben Hogan UiHi 4 iron (22*) - 97.4 mph club head, 135 ball speed, 1.37 smash, 10.3 launch angle, 4500 spin, 195 carry, 209 total

Compare this to my current hybrid:

Pinhawk One Length 4 hyb (20*) - 92.3 mph, 135 mph, 1.48 smash, 11.5 launch, 4500 spin, 196 carry, 215 total

So basically, I don't really see what I would be getting from any of these clubs. If I had the UiHi 3 iron I assume it would be like 99 mph club head speed with 3900 spin and 205-210 carry and roll out to 220-230. So basically I might be able to squeeze out an extra 15 yards of roll in dry conditions. But again, dispersion was not any tighter. Of the three, the Sub 70 699 regular utility felt the best and the easiest to hit but probably not easier to hit than the hybrid. Oh well. Probably saved myself $125-150 by doing this test.