Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Blind buying

RickyBobby_PR

Many of us like to tinker and that leads to blind buying things for whatever reason. Taking out the tinkering aspect of clubs and shafts.

Why do you blind buy clubs or shafts?

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

5 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Many of us like to tinker and that leads to blind buying things for whatever reason. Taking out the tinkering aspect of clubs and shafts.

Define blind buy?

I ask because it could be that I know or at least think that a certain shaft/head combo will work for me from prior fittings. I don’t know that I’d call that “blind.”

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I’ve been fit for every spot in my bag except putter over the years. I’ve tested and demo’d more clubs and combos than I can count and have a pretty good idea what works for me and what I don’t like.

For me, my blind buys lately that aren’t just for tinkering with new heads or for seeing what the buzz around a shaft is all about, have been for upgraded versions of shafts for ones that have worked in the past. Hzrdus rdx blue because of the improved feel over the hzrdus yellow. For clubs it’s to have the new shiny version of the current driver I have and to get it as soon as it’s released.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Just now, revkev said:

Define blind buy?

I ask because it could be that I know or at least think that a certain shaft/head combo will work for me from prior fittings. I don’t know that I’d call that “blind.”

Blind buy would be more along the lines of something you haven’t hit before whether it’s the club head, shaft or combo of them 

I guess I should answer this question, because I am quite frequently a blind buyer (not always, but often). Couple of things, besides the pure tinkering aspect:

1. With the pandemic, I have chosen to not attend as many events/fittings (personal choice)

2. I enjoy the club building aspects as much as I do playing the game

3. I like doing research and buying golf clubs. Golf and club building are my main hobbies, so i don't spend much time/money on any other hobbies

4. I like technology and having the latest technology. I guess I don't mean just technology, its more technology and/or innovations. Year to year, the innovations are probably very small, but like to try them anyway. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

I've bought blind plenty of times in the past, usually because it's a great deal and I know I won't take a bath if I have to move it relatively quickly. Or, I will buy a newer version of something I already know works for me like mentioned above.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

19 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Blind buy would be more along the lines of something you haven’t hit before whether it’s the club head, shaft or combo of them 

I probably fall into the non-blind buy category.   As one of the Most wanted testers I get to hit a wide variety of clubs and shafts as part of testing so picking something I haven’t hit would require something pretty exotic or unique.  I have bought a few aftermarket shafts blind but generally equipment doesn’t go into my bag unless I have hit the club or shaft.   The exception would be putters. I love experimenting with putters to the point that it  is probably detrimental to my game.  I’d like to try different putter shafts but having bought one blind I would need more detailed analysis to specifically buy another aftermarket putter shaft; especially at their current prices. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

When it comes to golf equipment, I do not blind buy.  I am a brand loyalist and always get fit when I purchase my equipment.  Always test the shafts as well as the new heads.  Have always been a selective buyer.  I may invest in more expensive equipment therefore blind buying is definitely out of the question and never makes purchases off eBay.   

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 19.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 5-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1 (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

Working in pro shop gives me the advantage to test a lot of different clubs and balls. I am a loyalist to Titleist but my old Amp Cell driver hasn't left the bag yet. We had an abundance of putters this year and it did more harm so I'm back to the old putter. 

Titleist irons, Cobra Driver,Cleveland Wedges, Odyssey putter

Blind buying doesn't hurt. We have all been there we somehow ended up with a club in our bag that just works great for us. Whether it was purchased off the shelf, a hand me down or we found it at a great price and said "WHY NOT". 

I'm a big believer in fittings if you just can't figure it out what the issue is but I also believe fittings aren't a cure all remedy. 

If you are a full time golf junkie and constantly trying to really improve, I am sure you have put some thought into your blind buying before hitting the purchase button. 

Driver: Taylormade Sim 2 Max

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Max

Driving Iron: Titleist u510

Hybrid: Taylormade Gapr

Irons: Taylormade P760

Wedges: Vokey Jet Black 52/56/60

Putter: Taylormade Spider X

Ball: ProV1x

• 2 weeks later...

My preferred supplier of recent years is not a sponsor here so I won't throw them a plug,

but since our club professional is mostly a polo shirt salesman these days,

and as that used to be my source of fitting and buying alike,

I now buy everything on pure faith, often never having seen in person the model that I'm ordering.

I know what general type of shaft that I want.  

I know the EXACT grip model that I want.

I know my lengths and lie angles.

After, that it's a crapshoot.  

If something doesn't feel right, I resort to lead tape and otherwise live with it.

I will only buy from dealers that will sell clubs individually because I get pretty weird with set configuration.

My set  almost always has overlapping lofts between long irons and lofted woods.

There is often up to an 8 to 10° gap between the 42° 9-iron and the first wedge.

I often have to mix and match models to get the gapping that I want, especially in metals (woods) and wedges.

Absent an unlikely liberalization of the 14-club rule, I'll always have big holes in the loft progression in order to bag clubs that I like the most.

But yes, I buy with plastic online, and it's always a Hail Mary.

I've been delighted and I've been burned, but I have gotten better  at it with experience.

Edited by BostonSal

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

I forgot to mention in the previous post that I am in no way critical of the launch monitor / simulator method of custom fitting.

I can totally appreciate how that would be beneficial to any player about to make a significant investment in equipment.

While I lack the patience and level of commitment to take that route myself, I would not advise anybody to skip that process if they have access to it.

However, the thread was about buying blind, and I am indeed one who tends to do exactly that, not just a single club but right up to the complete set level..

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

I blind buy used from sellers that have a return policy. I just picked up a TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 with a 30 day return policy. I'll play with it for two weeks and make a decision. 

-ckeller52

What's in the bag? This is....
IRONS         Srixon ZX5 5-AW fitted with Elements Recoil 806 F2 Shafts
WEDGE's     Vokey SM9 54* 14 Fitted with Elements Recoil 806 F2 Shafts and A 60* Jean Carlo Golf Wedge (Amazon)
DRIVER       default_taylormade-small.jpg M6
3 WOOD     default_taylormade-small.jpg M6
HYBRIDS     cobra King F9 Speedback 3&4  KBS TOUR HB GRAPHITE 75 R
PUTTER       cobra WideSport 35" 
Lamkin       Sonar+ Tour Calibrate Standard Golf Grips
I also use Garmin Approach S70 and a Bushnell V3 (no slope)
And a Full Swing Kit launch monitor for the three times a week or so when I practice. 

On 11/1/2021 at 1:07 PM, RickyBobby_PR said:

I rarely buy brand new clubs now.  I'm too old in the tooth.  I have good idea how my game is regressing over the years so I know I need lighter more flexible shafts, but I still want the heads, so It buy the clubs with the heads but get the shafts changed.

Putters and wedges I can live with, so they don't need re-shafting.

I have always been largely a blind buyer.  I know enough to know my swing speed is average, average height, length, everything.  I also know that my swing is not very consistent, and I have been taking lessons to improve so my swing keeps changing.   I like to play with different clubs and tinker but have found that I like the look and feel of Titleist stuff.  So I hadn't seen too much value in fitting.   Last week, though I went and got fitted for irons at Club Champion (because my wife is going to buy me new ones for Christmas).  The best fit turned out to be (shafts fit first and more matched to your swing) 65g Aldila R flex graphite shafts and Callaway Apex (not Pro) heads.  Overall, I enjoyed the fitting experience and know that I got a good fit.  Definitely better than trying to get a spot with everyone waiting in line and getting time dedicated to me at the PGA superstore.  The fitting cost $175, or what I have spent on the used driver, fairway, or hybrids I have in my bag so it was somewhat of a splurge for me.  The cost of the irons that we came up with was even more exorbitant, with upcharge graphite shafts, the recommended SST puring, etc.  Not something that I can find on eBAY.  But I can take the specs and have a different club builder go and build them for me.  Standard length.  Lie angle turned out to be .5 degree upright.  (Not even sure it's worth messing with if I had to pay extra to bend each club such a small amount but it won't cost extra with the builder that I am going with).   One other option that I would recommend is that you can sign up for FREE demo days for your favorite manufacturer.  I did a Titleist one a few years ago.  I didn't buy the new driver that that they fit me for, but I learned that they recommended a light shaft for me and I also hit a 3 wood that felt amazing.  I later found a used version of that 3 wood that I have in my bag now and a similar used driver.   

Titleist 714 AP2 Irons

Titleist TS2 Driver, Fairway and hybrid

Scotty Cameron Newport 3 putter

Titleist SM8 wedges

I buy blind all the time.  I buy used cars because I'm not in to paying for something that will immediately depreciate.  There are so many tinkerers out there that will be the new latest and greatest that I'm happy to try out a club for fractions of the retail price.  If it doesn't go where I want to how I want it to, I put it in time out or I push it along and get another...  I also started playing golf before the launch monitor where you either bought off the rack and played with it or you tried it on the range and then bought.  I was the youngest of 3 boys and always played with hand me down clubs too.  I don't doubt that there is gains in getting fit but, if you buy a wedge and want it to go 96 yards and you hit it 96 yards with the flight you want, play it...  Didn't Collin Montgomery game a 5 or 7 wood that had a ladies flex shaft in it for years??

I'm a tinkerer and love a good deal so I can afford to Tinker...

Driver:  Taylormade '16 9.5* M1 Fujikura XLR8 61 S RH

3 Wood: Cobra F7 14.5 Degree Aldila DVS Fairway 75X

5 Wood: Taylormade R15 17 degree Fujikura Speeder 67 S

Hybrid: Ping G400 3 Hyb 19 degree S

Irons: Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW Aerotek Steelfiber i110 cw S RH standard lie and 1* strong

Wedges: 50 Callaway MD 4, 54 Vokey SM5, 58 Callaway Forged

Putters: Oddysey White Hot #7 Fang, Scotty Cameron Futura Phantom Mallet, Callaway S2H2

I become convinced that a club or shaft or head will provide the exact one thing that my current doesn't. Reviews and ads reinforce that. I then have a mediocre round and become convinced - for example, that I would play better if my I hit my 5 wood higher. I then obsess over the solution until it goes on sale. Then I can't resist the sale.

:ping-small: G400 Max driver,  Alta CB shaft R

:callaway-small: heavenwood

:cobra-small: Hybrids - 3 and 4 set to different settings depending on course. Sometimes a Taylormade 4

Maltby STi2 irons 5-GW, Fujikura Shaft

:vokey-small: 54, 58

:taylormade-small: Ardmore 3 putter

3 minutes ago, ElmMan said:

I become convinced that a club or shaft or head will provide the exact one thing that my current doesn't. Reviews and ads reinforce that. I then have a mediocre round and become convinced - for example, that I would play better if my I hit my 5 wood higher. I then obsess over the solution until it goes on sale. Then I can't resist the sale.

LOL...... I fall victim to the same thing once in a while. Well it happened today. I have a hybrid that just doesn't cooperate for me. Its a 50/50 club.  Been trying to work it out for 3 years. It either goes straight or draws heavy.  It doesn’t have any adjustability. Been watching for that something special. And guess what I got a deal on today. It's  replacment, a Sub-70 939X hybrid that is adjustable. A return listed as  being in excellent condition.  Ordered it earlier today.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Does anyone actually at this point truly blind buy? With all the access to demo clubs or just the ability to hit just about any club prior to buying without any true fitting still allows for finding out what looks feels and performs well for you. Finances dictate in many instances such as mine not getting a true fitting will always hit clubs before any purchase though. 

Mizuno jpx 923hl irons CALLAWAY epic speed 9* evenflow green 55 shaft Cleveland rtx wedges evnroll 1.2 putter

13 minutes ago, rembo said:

Does anyone actually at this point truly blind buy? With all the access to demo clubs or just the ability to hit just about any club prior to buying without any true fitting still allows for finding out what looks feels and performs well for you. Finances dictate in many instances such as mine not getting a true fitting will always hit clubs before any purchase though. 

It also depends on where you live and how far you have to go to try a club. For me its a 2 hour drive one way to a name brand golf store that has a hitting bay. My local golf store doesn't have a place to even swing a club. My only other option is to wait until spring when we have a demo day at my club.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

I “blind buy” cause im a 35yo child and golf stuff are my toys, and like a child i get bored and impulse buy. I do make responsible educated golf purchases occasionally though too.

Mavrik Max Driver

M2 5W

818 hybrids

Steelhead XR Irons

ZipCore wedges

SeeMore PR M7X

55 minutes ago, rembo said:

I blind buy putters.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

52 minutes ago, Tyler86 said:

I “blind buy” cause im a 35yo child and golf stuff are my toys, and like a child i get bored and impulse buy. I do make responsible educated golf purchases occasionally though too.

Exactly, i am a 37 year old child

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

2 hours ago, rembo said:

Does anyone actually at this point truly blind buy? With all the access to demo clubs or just the ability to hit just about any club prior to buying without any true fitting still allows for finding out what looks feels and performs well for you.

The Hogan ‘buy two, get one free’ deal has my mouth watering.  DTC so I can’t try it out ahead of time.  I do have a pair of Hogan wedges now but they are older.

Interesting question. The way I am looking at the second hand golf market is a bit like a car hire facility. In the last year I've been able to flip a £50 set into a set that has much higher value. If I end up with something that clearly doesnt work for me I'll sell it for profit fairly easily and replace. It is actually quite good fun besides even if you get fit there is a good possibility that when you get said club in play on the course it may not work as well as the simulator data suggested it might. My next acquisition will be tsi3 swapping out my 917 d2 driver, it's been a while since I've had something new in my bag (6 months since I swapped out my wedges)

Whats in the bag:

Titleist TSi3 Driver 9°, Aldila NVS 55G Ladies Flex Shaft

Titleist 917F2 3 Wood 14.25°, Fujikura Speeder 665 Regular Flex Shaft

Titleist 818H1 18° Hybrid, Tensei 60HY Regular Flex Shaft

Titleist 818H1 21° Hybrid, Tensei 60HY Regular Flex Shaft

Mizuno JPX900 5-PW Iron, KBS Tour C Taper Lite 105 Regular Flex SShaft

Vokey Wedges -  50°, 54° & 58° S Grind, Wedge Flex Shaft

Scotty Cameron California Fastback Putter

Titleist Pro V1x

13 hours ago, rembo said:

Yes. Just hang out a dicks or local pro shop and you will see people walk in grab a club or set of clubs in whatever flex they are used to and pay for it. Some will talk with “sales” person and buy based purely on their recommendation whether right or wrong.

Read golf forums and people will preorder clubs as soon as the pre sale date hits and sometimes even before that because the brands sales rep or  person who runs pro shop will take their order and submit it as soon as they can.

Look at the what did you buy thread here or some of the threads where people are posting about their swing journey and you will see tons of blind buys on shafts or clubs because of how they are advertised for higher launch, lower spin, forgiveness or whatever the person thinks they need. You will see lots of  failed blind buys in these threads too

I been fitted twice once a full bag and then just for irons I know my specs and read about the shafts before I blind buy I only do this on discounted items never new 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag 

• 1 month later...

This is easy.  If new to golf ... at least get a basic fitting, or go somewhere and hit a few different clubs.  Blind buying would take some luck to work out.

For someone who is an experienced golfer, reads reviews and understands equipment ... it's not really blind buying.  

A lot of us have swings that change, for better or worse.  A 'fitting' is good for your swing that particular day.

Edited by morgan1819