Testers Wanted! AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Is the PGA Tour in jeopardy? SGL/PGL starting to take form.

TBS

It depends on the day but I'm starting to think that the SGL/PGL could actually put the PGA tour in jeopardy. Hear me out with these quick thoughts-

• PGA Tour does not operate the Majors... if you are a top 50 player why not take a chance at joining a new league with (allegedly) much higher $$$ and better schedules.
  • Sorry if your home town/state benefits BUT there are too many tour events and tour stops. Who watched Bahamas this week? Or Sanderson Farms? 
  • If either of these other Leagues take off, the PGA tour will just be a graduated Korn Ferry tour. A little higher payouts, nicer courses, but still not the big money.
  • I'm no lawyer but I don't think the lifetime ban that is being threatened will hold up.

I do have some concerns - I wish SGL/PGL would combine and focus on creating a better Pro Golf experience. I'm concerned if there are three, it is going to be average Pro golf all around. Oh yeah... Saudi money... human rights... Killing journalists... yeah not great for "Living under par".

What are your thoughts? Are you for some new leagues? Should the PGA be worried?

:taylormade-small: M6 12* Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65g stiff

:titelist-small: TS2 16.5* HL Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75g stiff

:ping-small:  G410 Hybrid 19* Tour stiff 

:ping-small: i210 KBS tour stiff 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54* RTX Zipcore

:ping-small: 58* glide 3.0

:taylormade-small:  TP Black Copper Juno 34in

Oncore elixr or Snell MTBx

I think its still too early to tell, only 10 events even with bigger prizes there better be a lot of money for everyone, I even if the events only have 70 players if the bottom only make 50,000 a tournament over 10 that might not be enough. Then on top of this what's the exposure like for the tour, will sponsors feel these athletes are in the headlines enough not to mention if club makers have reservations about where the funding is coming from they could drop them which again means prize money better be high. I think the PGA tour is not too concerned yet and there could be plenty of decisions by other groups that affect how much traction this gets.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

17 minutes ago, TBS said:

PGA Tour does not operate the Majors... if you are a top 50 player why not take a chance at joining a new league with (allegedly) much higher $$$ and better schedules.

While the PGA tour doesn’t run then each major has qualifications that need to be met. Whether that’s a win on a pga or euro tour event, world ranking points, etc. Don’t forget that the WGC events are also usually pretty big events and they also require world ranking points.

These are events that every pro wants to play in and win. If these other tours don’t offer the ability to get world ranking points or a win being accepted by the bodies that control the entries to the majors I don’t see top tier pros jumping ship. 

If the top pros don’t jump ship then these other leagues are nothing more than a place for older guys with big names to go get more money. Not sure guys on korn ferry or challenge tour jump ship if their goal is to play on the pga tour.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I stopped rooting for the PGA Tour way back when they broke away from the PGA of America club pros in the 1960s I believe it was.

That's just how I felt about it at the time,

regardless of the practicality of the move and its revenue implications.

They do and did things their way, however, and were very successful for a long time.

All constructs eventually get challenged and things change.

Right now baseball is having its World Series, but it's no longer a true battle of champions.

Except as trademarked terms, the American League and the National League stopped actually existing more than two decades ago.

The World Series is merely the final round of the MLB playoffs, which is to say, culturally far less that it used to be.

Constructs change.

As a recreational player with very little interest in professional golf as sports entertainment, I hope that whatever they do works out well for all involved.  It won't affect me in any way,

Edited by BostonSal

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

13 hours ago, TBS said:

What are your thoughts? Are you for some new leagues? Should the PGA be worried?

The PGA should be more worried about the LPGA.  They are as good or better players and viewership growing every year.  If the PGA Tour gets hijacked by BIG $$$, and effectively goes by way of the NFL, NBA, and MLB, I'll just watch more LPGA, Champions Tour, and European Tour golf.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

On 11/1/2021 at 3:40 PM, BostonSal said:

I stopped rooting for the PGA Tour way back when they broke away from the PGA of America club pros in the 1960s I believe it was.

That's just how I felt about it at the time,

regardless of the practicality of the move and its revenue implications.

They do and did things their way, however, and were very successful for a long time.

All constructs eventually get challenged and things change.

Right now baseball is having its World Series, but it's no longer a true battle of champions.

Except as trademarked terms, the American League and the National League stopped actually existing more than two decades ago.

The World Series is merely the final round of the MLB playoffs, which is to say, culturally far less that it used to be.

Constructs change.

As a recreational player with very little interest in professional golf as sports entertainment, I hope that whatever they do works out well for all involved.  It won't affect me in any way,

I basically feel the same way you do on the Big Tour. I will watch when certain players are playing though like Mickleson , Jon Rahm or Bryson. Most of the time I watch the Champions Tour or LPGA. At this stage of life I could care less what any of them do

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

• 2 weeks later...

Well… The PGA tour is starting to make some moves. 

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2021/11/11/pga-tour-launch-guaranteed-money-events-for-top-stars/

I think this is a really smart move and should be a well deserved payout to the top players. If done well this would be some fun events to watch. 

:taylormade-small: M6 12* Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65g stiff

:titelist-small: TS2 16.5* HL Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75g stiff

:ping-small:  G410 Hybrid 19* Tour stiff 

:ping-small: i210 KBS tour stiff 4-GW

:cleveland-small: 54* RTX Zipcore

:ping-small: 58* glide 3.0

:taylormade-small:  TP Black Copper Juno 34in

Oncore elixr or Snell MTBx