TESTERS WANTED! ×

Ping G400 Max - Distance

ElmMan

I was reading on another thread that quite a few owners of the Ping G400 Max feel that they are sacrificing distance for accuracy. I had never heard that before and I actually believed that the 400 max was considered a longer hitting driver. I have had mine since they came out. My distance has been ok. Accuracy is a little less than expected, but pretty good. I have tried changing shafts, but was concerned about the fact that Ping uses a counter-balanced shaft. I did get more distance with a Kuro Kage shaft, but kept yanking drives to the left. My swing speed is about 88 so I need every yard that I can get. If I can drive it 215-220 instead of 200-210, it allows for a few less fairway wood 2nd shots. Also, I have the chance to get the Callaway Epic Max driver at a very nice discount. But with a retail price over $500, it is still quite a few bucks even with a discount. I don't mind spending it if I feel confident that it is worth it. I haven't hit the Callaway yet and of course, I will, but I don't always trust the distance measurements at indoor units at the store. I did go to a paid fitter to get the Ping in the first place. At that time, the 400 max and the Callaway Rogue were both recommended to me. I chose the Ping. I am curious to know if people who have tried or have used the Ping G400 Max if it is a consensus that it is a comparatively shorter hitting driver. Thx

:ping-small: G400 Max driver,  Alta CB shaft R

:callaway-small: heavenwood

:cobra-small: Hybrids - 3 and 4 set to different settings depending on course. Sometimes a Taylormade 4

Maltby STi2 irons 5-GW, Fujikura Shaft

:vokey-small: 54, 58

:taylormade-small: Ardmore 3 putter

I have a G400 max and am very happy with the clubs performance and don’t feel like it performs worse than other drivers.   Performance will be individual and if you want to see how other drivers compare, make sure you swing your driver as well to compare results.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I was in the market for a new driver last spring.  I tried all of the major brands using a Trackman at a facility in Portland, OR hitting off mats into the driving range.  The Callaway Epic Max was the winner, but the Ping G425 was a close second, and both were clearly better (distance and consistency) than my old driver and everything else I tried.  I wouldn't have had a problem with either one; bought the Callaway and have been happy with it.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

With fittings and launch monitors one doesn’t have to sacrifice distance for dispersions or vice versa. Since you were fit for the g400 then the chances of you losing distance is probably low. If you do think you are missing something getting on a launch monitor with a good fitter and comparing to other drivers is the way to go.

Also not all counter balanced shafts are equal. There’s shafts that are cb that many don’t realize are actually a cb design. Also keep in mind Ping does a lot of testing with shafts and those drivers before they determine what shafts go into their matrix.  The Ping tour shaft and Alta shafts are designed by Ping.

I did a fitting with the Ping HQ team and the max wasn’t a fit for me because of launch and spin.

Its a great driver and long hitters like finau and champ used it

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

• 2 weeks later...