Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Green Reading Book local rule - impact of new change 11/2/21 memo

cnosil

PGA tour sent a memo to the player and caddies that outline the green reading book rules. The goal seems to be to get technology out of the creation of books; no buying topographical maps or using levels on the green.  To be clear the tour is not banning green reading books it it simply trying to police how they are created.   In my opinion it does little to battle what people seem to be complaining about and will potentially give some advantage to a player that has played a course often   Nothing really prohibits a player or caddie from going to a course and creating the detailed books they currently have.  Additionally how will the tour prove that information in the players book was or wasn’t obtained according to these rules?  

image.jpeg.98abee026b61bb978cd90d2935518d09.jpeg

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

PGA tour sent a memo to the player and caddies that outline the green reading book rules. The goal seems to be to get technology out of the creation of books; no buying topographical maps or using levels on the green.  To be clear the tour is not banning green reading books it it simply trying to police how they are created.   In my opinion it does little to battle what people seem to be complaining about and will potentially give some advantage to a player that has played a course often   Nothing really prohibits a player or caddie from going to a course and creating the detailed books they currently have.  Additionally how will the tour prove that information in the players book was or wasn’t obtained according to these rules?  

This isn't really news, I remember the Player's Advisory Council announcing their decision a couple of months ago.  Obviously they've taken this time to work with the Ruling Bodies to create a Model Local Rule that's acceptable to all.  The potential shortcomings you mention may be a result of that negotiation process, but it still seems to be a big step. I'd say its attempting to restrict the use of technology in creating the books, taking it back to what was available before the availability of laser-generated elevation surveys and computer-driven analysis methods.  There has never been any prohibition on players going to a course and developing their own books, for both yardage and green contouring.  As to what technology a player will use to develop his book, perhaps they'll have to rely in individual integrity.     

Edited by DaveP043

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

22 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

This isn't really news, I remember the Player's Advisory Council announcing their decision a couple of months ago.  Obviously they've taken this time to work with the Ruling Bodies to create a Model Local Rule that's acceptable to all.  The potential shortcomings you mention may be a result of that negotiation process, but it still seems to be a bit step. I'd say its attempting to restrict the use of technology in creating the books, taking it back to what was available before the availability of laser-generated elevation surveys and computer-driven analysis methods.  There has never been any prohibition on players going to a course and developing their own books, for both yardage and green contouring.  As to what technology a player will use to develop his book, perhaps they'll have to rely in individual integrity.     

I consider it news since it details the expectations.  Some are comparing it to the use of yardage markers or lasers…shouldn’t player be expected to see the distances they need to hit  😁.     It will come down to the players integrity, as does other rulings that happen on the course.   I don’t think the majority of fans understand the subtleties of what this new rule does.  

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 11/2/2021 at 10:48 AM, DaveP043 said:

This isn't really news, I remember the Player's Advisory Council announcing their decision a couple of months ago.  Obviously they've taken this time to work with the Ruling Bodies to create a Model Local Rule that's acceptable to all.  The potential shortcomings you mention may be a result of that negotiation process, but it still seems to be a big step. I'd say its attempting to restrict the use of technology in creating the books, taking it back to what was available before the availability of laser-generated elevation surveys and computer-driven analysis methods.  There has never been any prohibition on players going to a course and developing their own books, for both yardage and green contouring.  As to what technology a player will use to develop his book, perhaps they'll have to rely in individual integrity.     

Seeing lots of comments now on the last paragraph that will prohibit the use of devices on the practice greens too.  For example, using a level to help calibrate your feels on the practice green is against the rules; but a player can use launch monitors on the driving range.  Would that also prohibit the use of a stimpmeter or the perfect putt device to roll a ball on the green to find a straight putt to practice or see how fast the green is rolling?