TESTERS WANTED! ×

Rebuilding/Refitting Used Iron Set via OEM

Gavwlee

When getting back into the game after a long hiatus, I purchased a set of used MP-60 irons that seemed to be in pretty good condition. After playing a few months and getting the cobwebs off my game, I've come to realize the irons are all over the place when it comes to swingweight, length, loft, lie, different shaft stiffness, etc.

I've heard that Mizuno offers a service where you can send them your irons and they'll "rebuild/refit" them to the correct specs, for a fee. Does anyone here have experience with this? or can share any ideas on best approach to square things away? Considering this route or selling off for someone looking to tinker at home.

Mizuno ST-Z 220 9.5* Diamana D+ White 60S | Titleist 917F2 17* Diamana TB 70S | Titleist 913 Hybrid 19* Diamana White 92HY S | Mizuno JPX 921 Forged Nippon Modus Tour 115 S (4-GW) | Vokey SM5 52* (playing 53*) and 58* | Odyssey Black Series Tour Design No. 5 | Bridgestone Tour B XS | Mizuno BR-D4 6-Way California Blue

That sounds messy. How did the set end up with different shaft stiffness, are there actually different brand/model shafts installed in the iron set?

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

4 hours ago, dlow206 said:

That sounds messy. How did the set end up with different shaft stiffness, are there actually different brand/model shafts installed in the iron set?

No clue…the stickers on the shaft all show S300, but when I took it into the shop to get my grips changed out, the guy said he’s never seen anyone play with different shaft flexes in their irons before and was asking why I decided on doing that…and I just gave him a 🤨. Come to find out, some of the shafts had a CPM showing regular, while some were showing x-stiff. Explains why I was gravitating towards certain irons and avoiding others during a round (choke up on an 8 iron vs hitting my 9). Don’t know if the brands are actually different.

Weird thing is the serial numbers on the iron heads all match up.

Mizuno ST-Z 220 9.5* Diamana D+ White 60S | Titleist 917F2 17* Diamana TB 70S | Titleist 913 Hybrid 19* Diamana White 92HY S | Mizuno JPX 921 Forged Nippon Modus Tour 115 S (4-GW) | Vokey SM5 52* (playing 53*) and 58* | Odyssey Black Series Tour Design No. 5 | Bridgestone Tour B XS | Mizuno BR-D4 6-Way California Blue

• 3 weeks later...

First, you definitely don't have to send them back to Mizuno to be rebuilt.  Any local shop can rebuild them for you as will KBS if you want to send them out.

I also wouldn't just take one person's word that the shafts are all mis-matched.  It seems highly unlikely that would have happened and then someone went back and deliberately placed S300 labels on all of them.

Someone more knowledgeable should chime in on this as I'm no club building expert, but I thought the whole purpose of CPM measurements were to match them to the specific preferences for each person PRIOR to building the clubs.  Doesn't the process involve putting a constant weight on the tip end of the shaft and then taking measurements?  This can't be done with an assembled club as the head weight of each club is different.