TESTERS WANTED! ×

Is it wrong to be a proud golfer who walks and points out the bad traits of cart riders?

Hi, I am a golfer who walks with push carts and even a battery operated cart for my bag and one of the main reasons I golf is because of the exercise I get doing it! I will someday use a riding cart when I am unable to walk but until then I will walk. I respect anyone who golfs with a riding cart because of hip or knee problems for instance and I applaud their doing it. However, I don't appreciate having to compete with the cart riders who zoom all over the course and the way the management of the golf courses try to ram so many golfers through to make more money and encourage riding carts to the detriment of the enjoyment of golfing by walkers. Also, these cart riders violate the rules of the courses by bringing in coolers full of beer and whiskey and often are smoking cigars that you can smell 100 yards away. Really, this is a huge problem and I don't see anyone talking about it. In fact, I have been "canceled" by one of the other threads on MyGolfSpy for even bringing up this topic. But I speak with some authority because I travel quite a bit and their are even regional differences on this and the further south you go the bigger the problem (eg., I get criticized for wanting to walk at some courses). Really! The trend is not our friend! What do you think?

New Avid Golfer 

12 minutes ago, cnosil said:

You simply sound like an angry get off my lawn type of person that does not respect a large portion of the golfing world.    People who walk also bring coolers or outside beverages to the course, smoke cigars, and contribute to pace of play issues.  It seems to be a huge problem in your eyes but mark be not to others.  Some courses only allow walking at certain times or prohibit walking due to the course layout.  You can always play at a different course or time if you really want to walk.   I don’t know what post got “cancelled” but  you don’t seem up for a discussion on the topic so you were probably very my way or the highway in any response you would have made.  

I walk and smoke cigars! Walk and smoke who would have guessed that’s possible. It definitely keeps the bugs down and it’s enjoyable for me.

43 minutes ago, tommc23 said:

I walk and smoke cigars! Walk and smoke who would have guessed that’s possible. It definitely keeps the bugs down and it’s enjoyable for me.

I did the same, 2 cigars a round while walking.    
Didn’t do the alcohol until after round.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

55 minutes ago, tommc23 said:

I don't smoke but don't mind riding in the cart (gasp!!) of a cigar smoker since it does help keep the bugs away.

Does this mean we shouldn't be doing fireball shots for birdies?? 

I have rode a higher % this year than ever because our membership includes a cart and I am usually getting out late afternoon or evening and it allows me to play faster and jump around a sparsely populated course to get in as many holes as possible.  

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

I took a course a couple years back to get my bartending license here in NC and that's when I learned that it's a violation of state law to bring alcohol of any kind onto a golf course. AND it's the course that gets punished for a violation and not the golfer. So when I (hypothetically, of course) bring my cooler full of Ultras and a couple airline bottles of birdie juice, the course could lose their license to serve. 

I asked the head pro about it and he said, "hell, I don't care. Nobody's coming out here checking on that $h#*." 

In terms of what's germane to the thread, the only things I truly care about: 

1. play in less than 5 hours and/or let me play through
  2. don't hit into me
  3. either don't restrict walking times or include the cart fee in the price or charge me a cart fee and let me walk anyways (I get you want to make money. I'm not mad about it. I just prefer to walk. And yeah, I get pretty salty when they say, "you can't walk bEcAuSe pAcE-oF-pLaY.")

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

5 minutes ago, greggarner said:

I took a course a couple years back to get my bartending license here in NC and that's when I learned that it's a violation of state law to bring alcohol of any kind onto a golf course. AND it's the course that gets punished for a violation and not the golfer. So when I (hypothetically, of course) bring my cooler full of Ultras and a couple airline bottles of birdie juice, the course could lose their license to serve. 

I asked the head pro about it and he said, "hell, I don't care. Nobody's coming out here checking on that $h#*." 

2. don't hit into me
  3. either don't restrict walking times or include the cart fee in the price or charge me a cart fee and let me walk anyways (I get you want to make money. I'm not mad about it. I just prefer to walk. And yeah, I get pretty salty when they say, "you can't walk bEcAuSe pAcE-oF-pLaY.")

I agree with the pace of play. I walk fast I typically get a round done in 3 hours, by far not what @Shanksterdoes but I fell 3 hours is a good pace

The most shocking thing I learned from this thread is you need a license to be a bartender in NC...... one of the great bastions of moonshine..... think of the irony!  🤣

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

20 minutes ago, greggarner said:

2. don't hit into me

Using the excuse that walkers are slow is bogus.  Walkers can be just as fast and if 2 in a cart sometimes faster.

miss walking but knees/age stopped that a while ago.  

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

2 hours ago, Shapotomous said:

The most shocking thing I learned from this thread is you need a license to be a bartender in NC...... one of the great bastions of moonshine..... think of the irony!  🤣

Yeah, liquor laws here definitely over-corrected... A couple years back, there was a huge push by golf courses and restaurants for legislation that would allow alcohol on Sundays before noon. As such, the 'brunch bill' was born (and passed!) But you still can't buy liquor on Sundays. (All of our liquor stores are state-run)

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

2 hours ago, greggarner said:

Yeah, liquor laws here definitely over-corrected... A couple years back, there was a huge push by golf courses and restaurants for legislation that would allow alcohol on Sundays before noon. As such, the 'brunch bill' was born (and passed!) But you still can't buy liquor on Sundays. (All of our liquor stores are state-run)

I remember those laws when heading down to OBX for the weekend.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I walk with my push cart as often as I can, and where golf course layout/policy allows.  It's great exercise and I prefer the pace.  I find I'm able to focus better on my game when not hoping in/out of carts - particularly when with a second rider.  I cannot recall a situation where my walking with a cart and those riding in carts created an issue.  As @Rickppointed out, I find walkers to be as fast (maybe faster) than carts with two players.  We play a couple of courses here in Yuma that simply do not allow walking do to the long distances between a handful of greens and tees... one almost 1/2 mile 😲.  I play another course where you can walk (and I do) but the rate is the same as having the cart ... how's that for dedication? 🙂

Courses squeezing in extra tee time slots really has little to do with walk or ride.  Those that do compress times are simply trying to maximize play but they really should know how their course plays and whether it's more a detriment to the patrons experience.  I find courses that utilize marshal's generally keep pace of play in good shape. 

As for the BYOB, cigars, and cigarettes, I put them in the same category as sunflower seeds and chew.  If you create burn spots or litter the greens and tees with your vices, I'll sort of kindly let you know about it.  If you respond in a defiant manner, I'll let the course management know about it as well.

We've had numerous threads that discuss walking, riding, and bad habits on the course.  If anyone's been banned for it, that's news to me.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

The real problem is the people that play game improvement clubs and not blades!!! Then they walk around the club house thinking they are so good at golf..... ITS OUTRAGEOUS!

Who gives a damn what others do on the course! Let people enjoy the game the way they want too! 

Driver: Taylormade Sim 2 Max

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Max

Driving Iron: Titleist u510

Hybrid: Taylormade Gapr

Irons: Taylormade P760

Wedges: Vokey Jet Black 52/56/60

Putter: Taylormade Spider X

Ball: ProV1x

Yes, it is wrong

• Driver-  Ping G410 Plus 9*
  • Fairway- Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3 Wood 16.5*
  • Hybrid- Tour Edge Hot Launch C521 19* & 22* 
  • Irons-PXG 0211 DC, 5-GW
  • Wedges-  Sub70 286 54* & Sub70 JB 58*
  • Putter- Ping Sigma G Tyne (Superstroke grip)
  • Ball- Snell MTB-X Maxfli Tour X
  • Grips- Golf Pride CP2 Wrap Midsize
  • Bag- Ping Hoofer USA Edition 
  • Arccos 

Hi, thanks to all for responding to my initiation of this topic. I learned from it as this is the purpose. Most cart riders are very gracious in my experience But what was not addressed by most of the responses was the importance of the exercise that walking golf offers and the fact that letting cart riders play through slows the pace. Also, drinking alcohol or using MJ during a round certainly risks serious injury to innocent golfers, riding or walking!

New Avid Golfer 

2 minutes ago, Michael J Lee said:

Hi, thanks to all for responding to my initiation of this topic. I learned from it as this is the purpose. Most cart riders are very gracious in my experience But what was not addressed by most of the responses was the importance of the exercise that walking golf offers and the fact that letting cart riders play through slows the pace. Also, drinking alcohol or using MJ during a round certainly risks serious injury to innocent golfers, riding or walking!

What trash courses are you playing that people are so drunk or stoned that innocent golfers are at risk of serious injury?  

• Driver-  Ping G410 Plus 9*
  • Fairway- Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3 Wood 16.5*
  • Hybrid- Tour Edge Hot Launch C521 19* & 22* 
  • Irons-PXG 0211 DC, 5-GW
  • Wedges-  Sub70 286 54* & Sub70 JB 58*
  • Putter- Ping Sigma G Tyne (Superstroke grip)
  • Ball- Snell MTB-X Maxfli Tour X
  • Grips- Golf Pride CP2 Wrap Midsize
  • Bag- Ping Hoofer USA Edition 
  • Arccos 

56 minutes ago, Michael J Lee said:

letting cart riders play through slows the pace.

slow golf slows the pace.

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

1 hour ago, Michael J Lee said:

But what was not addressed by most of the responses was the importance of the exercise that walking golf offers and the fact that letting cart riders play through slows the pace.

There are lots of ways to get exercise.  People exercise outside of golf but if you choose to walk then it is great exercise.  

as for letting players in carts play through, walkers and people in carts should be on the same pace and walkers often exceed the pace of players in carts.  If there are openings in front of you and there are players backed up behind you then you should speed up play and/or let the faster players through whether you are walking or riding.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 11/2/2021 at 11:26 AM, Michael J Lee said:

Hi, I am a golfer who walks with push carts and even a battery operated cart for my bag and one of the main reasons I golf is because of the exercise I get doing it! I will someday use a riding cart when I am unable to walk but until then I will walk. I respect anyone who golfs with a riding cart because of hip or knee problems for instance and I applaud their doing it. However, I don't appreciate having to compete with the cart riders who zoom all over the course and the way the management of the golf courses try to ram so many golfers through to make more money and encourage riding carts to the detriment of the enjoyment of golfing by walkers. Also, these cart riders violate the rules of the courses by bringing in coolers full of beer and whiskey and often are smoking cigars that you can smell 100 yards away. Really, this is a huge problem and I don't see anyone talking about it. In fact, I have been "canceled" by one of the other threads on MyGolfSpy for even bringing up this topic. But I speak with some authority because I travel quite a bit and their are even regional differences on this and the further south you go the bigger the problem (eg., I get criticized for wanting to walk at some courses). Really! The trend is not our friend! What do you think?

I prefer to walk/push but have lately taken a cart as I have a newborn and it’s the way I am able to get the most amount of golf in while not driving my wife insane. Additionally a number of people golf with drive and I would otherwise lose out on part of a social aspect. Will likely walk more in the future, especially if I go during peak times and it doesn’t slow my pace of play to walk either. 
If it matters, I never smoke on the course and have 1-2 beers half the times I go out.

You're familiar with road rage...this would be CART RAGE! I'd let it alone. Too many idiots (drunk too) out there.

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

I think it’s ugly and arrogant. You don’t know why others may be riding. In my case two spinal fusions, three knee surgeries, and psoriatic arthritis. I’m lucky to be able to play. If I had to walk, I probably wouldn’t be able to play, or at least play as well as I still do at 60. I’m glad you have the great gift of a strong healthy body, don’t worry about how others play. 

Greg Robertson 

4 hours ago, Tiftaaft said:

slow golf slows the pace.

This is exactly right!  I typically walk also but ride when I play with my step-dad who has a knee issue and can't walk 18 so we ride.  A month ago it was just us and three women walking were pushing us playing lightning fast so we let them go.  Just cause we have a cart doesn't mean we are faster as my step-dad just moves slower.  I've walked countless times with friends and played up the ass of a group of cart riders who just play slow.  There is nothing wrong with slow play as long as they know it and let people play through, be polite and not a dick about it and as to play through.  Some people know they are slow and will let you go through.

People should be able to booze up all they want and enjoy your day, your paying for it.  As long as it doesn't interfere too much with everyone else.  Nobody is playing for money or anything so just enjoy the day.

Driver: Titleist Tsi 3

3 Wood : Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead 3

Hybrid : Hogan Edge CFT Hybrid 3

Irons : Hogan Apex ftx 3 iron

Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4i-GW

Wedge : Taylor Made 56 degree

Vokey Sm8 60 degree s grind

Putter: Evnroll ev11

On 11/2/2021 at 4:14 PM, Riverboat said:

I don't mind the cigars nearly as much as the pot. Marijuana use on our local courses has soared the past few years. Never could stand the smell of it, but worse is that most of the smokers get worse and MUCH slower as the round goes on. Keep weeds and weed off my course, please. 

My buddy used to light a joint halfway through our rounds.  Personally I loved it because he usually started to play worse and I would win our match 😀

6 hours ago, Michael J Lee said:

i don't get exercise from golf.  I am on the course because I find the game to be fun.  Walking is not fun in my opinion. I caddied in HS and College, where I walked the course, that was work.  Now it's for fun and walking isn't fun.

Driver: Cobra F6

3W: Titleist TSi3

5W: TM RocketBallz -(my favorite club)

Hybrids: Cleveland 2-4

Irons: Callaway Apex DCB 4-PW

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMB 52 & 56

Putter: TM Rossa Monte Carlo Mallet 

On 11/2/2021 at 11:26 AM, Michael J Lee said:

You sound delightful. I bet you are a hoot at parties

Family, old cars or bikes and GOLF