Is it wrong to be a proud golfer who walks and points out the bad traits of cart riders?

Michael J Lee

Yes, it is wrong

• Like 1

• Driver- ping-logo.jpg.c39cc6d1c061e68fb2522832f294fa88.jpg Ping G410 Plus 9*
  • Fairway- tour-edge.gif.a6f294e0926c30f03c36126cc7c0ec50.gifTour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3 Wood 16.5*
  • Hybrid- tour-edge.gif.a6f294e0926c30f03c36126cc7c0ec50.gifTour Edge Hot Launch C521 19* & 22* 
  • Irons- Taylor-Made-Logo.jpg.a922638edae25f1c036539a36e9a0f6e.jpgTaylormade RSi2, 5-PW
  • Wedges- Acer.jpg.51238d11edef77900a56a58a1ce09fc4.jpgAcer XB, 50*, 54* and 58*
  • Putter- ping-logo.jpg.c39cc6d1c061e68fb2522832f294fa88.jpgPing Sigma G Tyne (Superstroke grip)
  • Ball- GHzATeLo.jpg.69ffdb028e4ddbcd7846eb57a52b47ee.jpgSnell MTB-X
  • Bag- ping-logo.jpg.c39cc6d1c061e68fb2522832f294fa88.jpg2021 Ping Hoofer USA Edition 

Hi, thanks to all for responding to my initiation of this topic. I learned from it as this is the purpose. Most cart riders are very gracious in my experience But what was not addressed by most of the responses was the importance of the exercise that walking golf offers and the fact that letting cart riders play through slows the pace. Also, drinking alcohol or using MJ during a round certainly risks serious injury to innocent golfers, riding or walking!

New Avid Golfer 

2 minutes ago, Michael J Lee said:

Hi, thanks to all for responding to my initiation of this topic. I learned from it as this is the purpose. Most cart riders are very gracious in my experience But what was not addressed by most of the responses was the importance of the exercise that walking golf offers and the fact that letting cart riders play through slows the pace. Also, drinking alcohol or using MJ during a round certainly risks serious injury to innocent golfers, riding or walking!

What trash courses are you playing that people are so drunk or stoned that innocent golfers are at risk of serious injury?  

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

• Driver- ping-logo.jpg.c39cc6d1c061e68fb2522832f294fa88.jpg Ping G410 Plus 9*
  • Fairway- tour-edge.gif.a6f294e0926c30f03c36126cc7c0ec50.gifTour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3 Wood 16.5*
  • Hybrid- tour-edge.gif.a6f294e0926c30f03c36126cc7c0ec50.gifTour Edge Hot Launch C521 19* & 22* 
  • Irons- Taylor-Made-Logo.jpg.a922638edae25f1c036539a36e9a0f6e.jpgTaylormade RSi2, 5-PW
  • Wedges- Acer.jpg.51238d11edef77900a56a58a1ce09fc4.jpgAcer XB, 50*, 54* and 58*
  • Putter- ping-logo.jpg.c39cc6d1c061e68fb2522832f294fa88.jpgPing Sigma G Tyne (Superstroke grip)
  • Ball- GHzATeLo.jpg.69ffdb028e4ddbcd7846eb57a52b47ee.jpgSnell MTB-X
  • Bag- ping-logo.jpg.c39cc6d1c061e68fb2522832f294fa88.jpg2021 Ping Hoofer USA Edition 

56 minutes ago, Michael J Lee said:

letting cart riders play through slows the pace.

slow golf slows the pace.

• Like 3
  • Srixon Z7 Driver
  • Srixon ZX 3W, 5W & 7W
  • Titleist 2021 T200 5-GW
  • Nike V-Forged 52-10 & 56-14
  • Odyssey White Hot OG 7s Putter
  • Maxfli Tour

1 hour ago, Michael J Lee said:

But what was not addressed by most of the responses was the importance of the exercise that walking golf offers and the fact that letting cart riders play through slows the pace.

There are lots of ways to get exercise.  People exercise outside of golf but if you choose to walk then it is great exercise.  

as for letting players in carts play through, walkers and people in carts should be on the same pace and walkers often exceed the pace of players in carts.  If there are openings in front of you and there are players backed up behind you then you should speed up play and/or let the faster players through whether you are walking or riding.  

• Like 7

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 11/2/2021 at 11:26 AM, Michael J Lee said:

Hi, I am a golfer who walks with push carts and even a battery operated cart for my bag and one of the main reasons I golf is because of the exercise I get doing it! I will someday use a riding cart when I am unable to walk but until then I will walk. I respect anyone who golfs with a riding cart because of hip or knee problems for instance and I applaud their doing it. However, I don't appreciate having to compete with the cart riders who zoom all over the course and the way the management of the golf courses try to ram so many golfers through to make more money and encourage riding carts to the detriment of the enjoyment of golfing by walkers. Also, these cart riders violate the rules of the courses by bringing in coolers full of beer and whiskey and often are smoking cigars that you can smell 100 yards away. Really, this is a huge problem and I don't see anyone talking about it. In fact, I have been "canceled" by one of the other threads on MyGolfSpy for even bringing up this topic. But I speak with some authority because I travel quite a bit and their are even regional differences on this and the further south you go the bigger the problem (eg., I get criticized for wanting to walk at some courses). Really! The trend is not our friend! What do you think?

I prefer to walk/push but have lately taken a cart as I have a newborn and it’s the way I am able to get the most amount of golf in while not driving my wife insane. Additionally a number of people golf with drive and I would otherwise lose out on part of a social aspect. Will likely walk more in the future, especially if I go during peak times and it doesn’t slow my pace of play to walk either. 
If it matters, I never smoke on the course and have 1-2 beers half the times I go out.

You're familiar with road rage...this would be CART RAGE! I'd let it alone. Too many idiots (drunk too) out there.

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G400 Max Driver 10.5° w/Diamona S+ LTD Blue-Board 70 R Flex

Ping G410 5 Fairway Wood Mitsubishi Tensi Orange R Flex

Ping G410 4-5-6 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi Blue R Flex

Ping i500 Irons 5-U w/Recoil SmacWrap F3 Flex (power-spec lofts)

Ping 3.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap F3 Flex

2021 Ping Fetch Putter

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Mid-Size Grips

I think it’s ugly and arrogant. You don’t know why others may be riding. In my case two spinal fusions, three knee surgeries, and psoriatic arthritis. I’m lucky to be able to play. If I had to walk, I probably wouldn’t be able to play, or at least play as well as I still do at 60. I’m glad you have the great gift of a strong healthy body, don’t worry about how others play. 

• Like 5

Greg Robertson 

4 hours ago, Tiftaaft said:

slow golf slows the pace.

This is exactly right!  I typically walk also but ride when I play with my step-dad who has a knee issue and can't walk 18 so we ride.  A month ago it was just us and three women walking were pushing us playing lightning fast so we let them go.  Just cause we have a cart doesn't mean we are faster as my step-dad just moves slower.  I've walked countless times with friends and played up the ass of a group of cart riders who just play slow.  There is nothing wrong with slow play as long as they know it and let people play through, be polite and not a dick about it and as to play through.  Some people know they are slow and will let you go through.

People should be able to booze up all they want and enjoy your day, your paying for it.  As long as it doesn't interfere too much with everyone else.  Nobody is playing for money or anything so just enjoy the day.

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist 975J.  True Temper steel shaft

Hybrid: Ben Hogan Edge CFT

Irons: Mizuno 921 Hot Metal

SW: Cleveland 56 degree

Nike 60 degree wedge

Putter: Never Compromise 4.2

On 11/2/2021 at 4:14 PM, Riverboat said:

I don't mind the cigars nearly as much as the pot. Marijuana use on our local courses has soared the past few years. Never could stand the smell of it, but worse is that most of the smokers get worse and MUCH slower as the round goes on. Keep weeds and weed off my course, please. 

My buddy used to light a joint halfway through our rounds.  Personally I loved it because he usually started to play worse and I would win our match 😀

6 hours ago, Michael J Lee said:

i don't get exercise from golf.  I am on the course because I find the game to be fun.  Walking is not fun in my opinion. I caddied in HS and College, where I walked the course, that was work.  Now it's for fun and walking isn't fun.

Driver: Cobra F6

3W: Titleist TSi3

5W: TM RocketBallz -(my favorite club)

Hybrids: Cleveland 2-4

Irons: Callaway Apex DCB 4-PW

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMB 52 & 56

Putter: TM Rossa Monte Carlo Mallet 

36 minutes ago, rhaze91 said:

People should be able to booze up all they want and enjoy your day, your paying for it.  As long as it doesn't interfere too much with everyone else.  Nobody is playing for money or anything so just enjoy the day.

I agree in principle, but the problem is that the more drunk or high people get, in general, the less they believe or care that they are interfering with the enjoyment of others. This becomes even more of a problem if you point out to the drunk or high players that they are severely out of position and holding up the course. Their beer or weed muscles kick in and they are ready to fight rather than admit they are being inconsiderate.

Those playing loud music on the course are also usually not interested in hearing that they are being inconsiderate. (Music at low volume that only your group can hear is fine, but others shouldn't have to hear it.) Sorry, but my quiet is not interfering with your round. Your noise is impinging on mine. Golf is one of the last bastions of peace, quiet, and civility in our society. It would be nice if we could just be considerate of others and keep it that way. 

😧 Wilson Triton

3w: PXG 341

5W: Cleveland launcher 

3H: Wilson Deep Red

5-GW: PXG 0211

SW LW: Mizuno MP T5

P: Scott Cameron Newport

On 11/2/2021 at 11:26 AM, Michael J Lee said:

Hi, I am a golfer who walks with push carts and even a battery operated cart for my bag and one of the main reasons I golf is because of the exercise I get doing it! I will someday use a riding cart when I am unable to walk but until then I will walk. I respect anyone who golfs with a riding cart because of hip or knee problems for instance and I applaud their doing it. However, I don't appreciate having to compete with the cart riders who zoom all over the course and the way the management of the golf courses try to ram so many golfers through to make more money and encourage riding carts to the detriment of the enjoyment of golfing by walkers. Also, these cart riders violate the rules of the courses by bringing in coolers full of beer and whiskey and often are smoking cigars that you can smell 100 yards away. Really, this is a huge problem and I don't see anyone talking about it. In fact, I have been "canceled" by one of the other threads on MyGolfSpy for even bringing up this topic. But I speak with some authority because I travel quite a bit and their are even regional differences on this and the further south you go the bigger the problem (eg., I get criticized for wanting to walk at some courses). Really! The trend is not our friend! What do you think?

You sound delightful. I bet you are a hoot at parties

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Family, old cars or bikes and GOLF

On 11/2/2021 at 11:48 AM, cnosil said:

You simply sound like an angry get off my lawn type of person that does not respect a large portion of the golfing world.    People who walk also bring coolers or outside beverages to the course, smoke cigars, and contribute to pace of play issues.  It seems to be a huge problem in your eyes but mark be not to others.  Some courses only allow walking at certain times or prohibit walking due to the course layout.  You can always play at a different course or time if you really want to walk.   I don’t know what post got “cancelled” but  you don’t seem up for a discussion on the topic so you were probably very my way or the highway in any response you would have made.  

GREAT RESPONSE!!!

WITB

Driver - Taylormade M6

3wd - Taylormade RBZ

Hybrids - Taylormade RBZ

Irons - Taylormade RSi1

Putter - Macgregor Smoothie

Whether walking or riding, as long as you show a modicum of etiquette and not creating problems with other players you’re good with me. While I can’t stand cigar smoke, they may not care of my throwing out a f**k after one of my poor shots. 

3 hours ago, Riverboat said:

I agree in principle, but the problem is that the more drunk or high people get, in general, the less they believe or care that they are interfering with the enjoyment of others. This becomes even more of a problem if you point out to the drunk or high players that they are severely out of position and holding up the course. Their beer or weed muscles kick in and they are ready to fight rather than admit they are being inconsiderate.

Those playing loud music on the course are also usually not interested in hearing that they are being inconsiderate. (Music at low volume that only your group can hear is fine, but others shouldn't have to hear it.) Sorry, but my quiet is not interfering with your round. Your noise is impinging on mine. Golf is one of the last bastions of peace, quiet, and civility in our society. It would be nice if we could just be considerate of others and keep it that way. 

Are people playing at course where people are getting this drunk or high? In the last two years, I have only heard one groups music and have had no other issues with people drinking, smoking or other behavior. I am playing multiple local courses too. Is this a regional issue?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Londo said:

Are people playing at course where people are getting this drunk or high? In the last two years, I have only heard one groups music and have had no other issues with people drinking, smoking or other behavior. I am playing multiple local courses too. Is this a regional issue?

I'm in Pennsylvania. I'd say in the past year, pot smoking has been obvious maybe 10 times, drunk maybe 3, loud music maybe 20 to 30. Now we are not talking confrontations every time, as some still handle requests to speed up, play through, or turn it down like sane human beings, but it's still something you shouldn't have to deal with. Keep in mind that I play probably 250 rounds a year so I'm probably out there a lot more than most on this forum. 

😧 Wilson Triton

3w: PXG 341

5W: Cleveland launcher 

3H: Wilson Deep Red

5-GW: PXG 0211

SW LW: Mizuno MP T5

P: Scott Cameron Newport

Michael Lee, you can only control your play.  Play smart, with respect for others and you can carry your head high.  Just try not letting the music from others bother you.  If you are playing as a single, make sure the Starter puts you with others.  The round can be more enjoyable when you meet others from around the world.  Be safe, Play golf.

• Like 6
  • Love 2

Driver: PXG 0211 w/Evenflo Riptide CB Regular shaft 

Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3-4W(16*), 5-6W(20*) both w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft and Patriot 7W w/AccuLaunch 60 by Accuflex

Hybrid: Cobra F8 3 Hybrid(19*) w/Recoil ES regular shaft 

Irons: Wilson D7 5-PW w/Recoil 460 Regular graphite shafts 

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore(50*/54*/58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  

Putter: 33" Evnroll ER2 w/Evnroll Gravity Grip 

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black).  

Pushcart:  Caddytek 3.0 from Costco

Ball: Maxfli Tour CG & Titleist Pro V1x.

What we have here gentlemen is the inability to have fun at this wonderful game.  At 75 I feel bless to be able to go out and actually ride and play with all the medical issues, unfortunately I have, and enjoy myself and play in 3.5 to 4 hours three days a week with my men's senior league (ages 60-93).  We have a few Karens in our group also, but not this bad.  Their main complaints are about slow play.  I am a reformed smoker (stopped cold turkey in 1990 and choose not to play with those who smoke) our guys purchase their drinks from the cart girls and we do not allow cooler on the course.  This type of behavior is totally the responsibility of the management of the course should be addressed with them.   If it cannot be resolved, recommend changing courses.  Getting an ulcer is not the answer.  Hakuna matata.   😉

• Like 4

Titleist

DRIVER - TSI3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR S

FAIRWAY - TSI2 16.5* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 S

HYBRID - 816H1 17.0* - Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 8.8 Tour Spec S

HYBRID - 818H1 21.0* - Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 8.8 Tour Spec S

IRONS - T300 (2019) - 5-53W True Temper AMT Red 107g-95gm R300

WEDGE - VOKEY SM7 58.12* D Grind - Nippon NS Pro 950 GH R (snow flaked z's)

PUTTER - 2020 SC SPECIAL SELECT CUSTOM PUTTER  - 35" Newport 2 w/GolfPride SNSR 104

GOLF BALL - TITLEIST PROV 1

GOLF BAG - TITLEIST MIDSIZE TOUR BAG BLACK 

1 hour ago, ChuckZ said:

What we have here gentlemen is the inability to have fun at this wonderful game.  At 75 I feel bless to be able to go out and actually ride and play with all the medical issues, unfortunately I have, and enjoy myself and play in 3.5 to 4 hours three days a week with my men's senior league (ages 60-93).  We have a few Karens in our group also, but not this bad.  Their main complaints are about slow play.  I am a reformed smoker (stopped cold turkey in 1990 and choose not to play with those who smoke) our guys purchase their drinks from the cart girls and we do not allow cooler on the course.  This type of behavior is totally the responsibility of the management of the course should be addressed with them.   If it cannot be resolved, recommend changing courses.  Getting an ulcer is not the answer.  Hakuna matata.   😉

Amen Chuck, well said

On 11/3/2021 at 8:55 AM, Tiftaaft said:

While I prefer to walk (and carry), I ride more than I should for my game and health (it's better for me, and I'm more connected to my game when I walk).  So... 

Dear OP

• I usually drive a cart and follow the course rules for cart paths/90 degrees as needed for respect to the course
  • I haven't had a knee or hip replacement, though I did get a new pair of Footjoys last month.
  • I live in Houston - about as far south as you can get
  • I don't smoke, though some days you can smell my bad game from 100 yards away
  • I don't drink alcohol on the course
  • My course has a cooler attached to all the carts...so I don't have to bring my own
  • I replace and sand my divots, and others in the vicinity of my own
  • I fix my ball marks and others I see on the way to my ball on the green
  • I rake my traps, and other players footprints while I'm there (more often than I would like)
  • I play faster in a cart which allows me to spend more time making the course and experience better for my fellow golfers
  • I DO zoom around the course when there is nobody holding me back and can play 18 in 2.5 hours on occasion... but also have played rounds at 5+ hours when the course is busy.  It's golf.  
  • I patiently wait for the the 4 walkers in front of me to wave me through when they are looking for their ball in the hazard.
  • I am not a detriment to any golfer on the course... rider, walker or limper
  • While I'm not confident in my game from day to day - I am confident in my etiquette on the course (etiquette for the course AND for my fellow golfers).
  • I am not unique in the above bullets
  • Your comments are over generalized and directed at the few, not the majority.

AND .... you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night, right?  

ROTFL  🤣

• Haha 2

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     TSi2 9* Project X HZRDUS RDX Smoke C3 setting

Fairways   HZRDUS Smoke 13.5* & 19* C3 setting

Driving Iron:   U500 17* Fujikura Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   T300 4 & 5 iron, T200 6 - W Project X 6.0 1* up

Wedges   SM7 48*, 52*, 56*

Putter    Newport 2

Ball   2020 ProV1