Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Should Fittings be Free?

GolfSpy MPR

Yes; Fittings should be Free if you do purchase thru Fitting Shop or Fitter providing you buy & their price is

competitive in the Market Area &/or with "Off The Rack" Retailer.

Like my Golf Shoppe because I trust in guidance & price. They are square, so it is personally important, I am 

Square with them!!

Keep Smilin' Sports Fans!!

I would be offended if I was buying clubs from a shop and they tried to charge me for a fitting; offended enough that I would buy the clubs somewhere else! 

Started playing late in life, but as I got older I found that golf is a much better activity than a lot of things old folks get into, plus I meet some of the nicest most interesting people!

11 minutes ago, rore73 said:

I would be offended if I was buying clubs from a shop and they tried to charge me for a fitting; offended enough that I would buy the clubs somewhere else! 

You are paying for the time of the fitter. Why should the shop be required to reimburse that fee for a purchase of clubs.

nobody is entitled to the service, products or time of another individual 

Now if the fitter is also the sales person then I see it because that person/shop is getting the money regardless.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

• 1 month later...
On 1/24/2022 at 10:20 AM, greggarner said:

Just checking in here since there hasn't been any more news on this front. I noticed that, in 2022, fittings offered by MGS are still not free. Anybody got insider knowledge on this one? Is it a matter of just not prioritizing it to remove the cost? It's one of the main ads I see on the blog and it's still the most recent NPG episode, sooooo...

(yes, I know it's been busy. holidays. product launches. whatevs. But there was a stake driven in the ground and now it's bupkis)

I noticed this comment when it was posted and thought it was a really good point. Looks like MGS HQ did as well: 

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

Just received an email saying that TrueGolfFit was now 100% free. But clicking the link takes you to the site that has you pay as before with a refund guarantee if the selection doesn't "transform" your game. Is the website just not updated to be 100% free or is it a refund if not satisfied offer?

Update: Oops, sorry. Didn't see the earlier post.

:cobra-small: Dark Speed X Driver w/ :Fuji: Motore X F35R shaft, :srixon-small: ZX 5 Wood & 7 Wood w/Evenflow Riptide 5.5 shaft, :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi 24 deg Hybrid Iron, :mizuno-small: JPX919 Hot Metal 5-GW w/Project X LZ 5.5 shafts, :titleist-small: SM9 54D & 58M deg wedges, :odyssey-small: Sabertooth White Ice, :titleist-small: -Pro V1X (preferred) or :maxfli: Tour X ball, :ShotScope: X5 Watch, Nikon Laser 500 range finder.

So I just did the trufit thing and I was happy to see they recommend the same shaft I already use. However, it says ball speed 158mph, launch of 13*, and spin of 1950rpm = distance of 301. That seems off. Using Flightscope shot optimizer those same specs give a carry of 260 and total yards of 271...My Launch monitor (mevo+) agrees that even with 160.4 ball speed and 2149 rpm and 14.5 launch (to pretty close to the trufit numbers) i got 260.8 carry and "roll out total" as 285. (for consistancy sake the optimizer app shows those specs having a carry of 266 and total of 275 - which seems pretty close to my real world averages)

I am curious what algorithim they use to get that total distance. Seems like they might be inflating the numbers a bit to try and get people who don't know their real numbers to jump into "gaining 16 yards and 6% more accuracy" by buying a new driver. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi4 8* w/ Tensei AV Raw White 65gr X shaft set to D-1 Hosel
3 wood: :taylormade-small: M1 13.5* Head set open w/ Fade bias weights. 
Irons: :ping-small: I-Blades PW-3i, 2* up standard length.
Wedges: :ping-small:Glide 1.0 TS 60*, :ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 ES, :titelist-small:Vokey 52* 
Putter: :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin .
Ball: Various: Testing: :titelist-small: AVX, :bridgestone-small: BX, :taylormade-small: TP5x 

11 minutes ago, The 19th Hole said:

So I just did the trufit thing and I was happy to see they recommend the same shaft I already use. However, it says ball speed 158mph, launch of 13*, and spin of 1950rpm = distance of 301. That seems off. Using Flightscope shot optimizer those same specs give a carry of 260 and total yards of 271...My Launch monitor (mevo+) agrees that even with 160.4 ball speed and 2149 rpm and 14.5 launch (to pretty close to the trufit numbers) i got 260.8 carry and "roll out total" as 285. (for consistancy sake the optimizer app shows those specs having a carry of 266 and total of 275 - which seems pretty close to my real world averages)

I am curious what algorithim they use to get that total distance. Seems like they might be inflating the numbers a bit to try and get people who don't know their real numbers to jump into "gaining 16 yards and 6% more accuracy" by buying a new driver. 

I'm curious. Was the fitting free or did you have to pay for it? The email I received today says it's 100% free to every golfer.  Thanks,

:cobra-small: Dark Speed X Driver w/ :Fuji: Motore X F35R shaft, :srixon-small: ZX 5 Wood & 7 Wood w/Evenflow Riptide 5.5 shaft, :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi 24 deg Hybrid Iron, :mizuno-small: JPX919 Hot Metal 5-GW w/Project X LZ 5.5 shafts, :titleist-small: SM9 54D & 58M deg wedges, :odyssey-small: Sabertooth White Ice, :titleist-small: -Pro V1X (preferred) or :maxfli: Tour X ball, :ShotScope: X5 Watch, Nikon Laser 500 range finder.

Just now, MIgregb said:

I'm curious. Was the fitting free or did you have to pay for it? The email I received today says it's 100% free to every golfer.  Thanks,

it was free. Just had to enter in my email to get the results. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSi4 8* w/ Tensei AV Raw White 65gr X shaft set to D-1 Hosel
Wedges: :ping-small:Glide 1.0 TS 60*, :ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 ES, :titelist-small:Vokey 52* 
Ball: Various: Testing: :titelist-small: AVX, :bridgestone-small: BX, :taylormade-small: TP5x 

Looking back at some of the past comments about this program I keep seeing people talk about "expert mode". I dont see a way to get into that on the current version of the website. Am I just blind? 

2 minutes ago, The 19th Hole said:

it was free. Just had to enter in my email to get the results. 

I could have assumed that you still had to pay because they asked for the email address, but I could have sworn it was still saying refund if not satisfied. Regardless, it's working now. Thanks!

This is a fun tool to play around with. One thing I noticed is it does not provide a loft for the driver you're fit for. 

Also, it would be a cool feature to be able to compare your current gamer to the fitted club with the yards and accuracy numbers provided.

Im excited to see this platform expanded to fit you for other clubs as well

:ping-small: G410 9* Evenflow Black 75 6.0

:ping-small: G410 3W Evenflow Black 85 6.0

:ping-small: G410 5W, 4H Evenflow Black 85 6.0

:callaway-small: Mavrik Pro 5-AW TT Elevate 95 S

:vokey-small: SM9 54F, 58D

:scotty-cameron-1: 2020 Special Select Newport 2

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:wilson-small: Triad

36 minutes ago, The 19th Hole said:

Looking back at some of the past comments about this program I keep seeing people talk about "expert mode". I dont see a way to get into that on the current version of the website. Am I just blind? 

When asked to enter you data, you can select expert mode; it is a checkbox under where you enter the data 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Biggest issue with fittings,imo is that they occur on a simulator off of mats.  Many people would probably choose different clubs if they were actually playing them on a course in the context of a real round of golf.  That driver that you managed to get a few miles per hour of more than the others in the store won't look nearly as good when you're hitting in the rough all day.  Simulators are great, but they can only represent so much of the game. If a manufacturer or retailer could find a way to let you demo clubs and in real environment ( not necessarily a full round) I would be much more inclined to pay for that. 

Watch guys like Mark Crossfield on YouTube and then go to the big box stores and tell them what you want to try. 

I recently had a paid fitting at PTSS.  It was apparent that the fitter was very knowledgeable, but the experience wasn't great because there was a time limit and the only irons available were 7 irons.  I at least want to hit a pitching wedge and a 5-iron to understand how the set flows and possibly look at blending sets.  Unfortunately, all I was able to do was to hit the 7 iron of the next model up the chain for that manufacturer.  That's not the same as hitting two different five irons. 

Also, due to time constraints and the fitters presuppositions, only had a few manufacturers to hit.  Granted, they were the first ones that I chose, but would have liked to hit some brands I'm less familiar with.

On 3/1/2022 at 1:55 PM, Jon Diamond said:

hey all! I am looking to potentially upgrade my wedges. I play the Callaway Mack Daddy CB's and I am wanting to know how often you switch out your wedges? 

Everyone is different so I thought i'd open up the chat! 

On 11/2/2021 at 1:00 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:
Duration: 00:46:32

Special guest Ryan Barath (@RDSBarath) joins us for a head to head debate with MGS owner Adam Beach: Should fittings be free for all golfers?

---------------------------------------------

Welcome to MyGolfSpy!

Over 15 million golfers a year turn to MyGolfSpy to get unbiased, tested reviews and recommendations for the best golf gear to help you improve your game.

Golfers like you turn to us because we're independent and unbiased. And, over the years, we've created the #1 resource for golfers who put cold, hard data above marketing hype.

#MYGOLFSPY #CONSUMERFIRST

Check out MyGolfSpy today! www.mygolfspy.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Used by over 15 million forward-thinking golfers!

Subscribe to MYGOLFSPY on YouTube: bit.ly/MGSyoutube
OUR MISSION: mygolfspy.com/our-mission/

Check out MyGolfSpy's other channels!
--------------------------------------------

🏴REVIEWS: http://bit.ly/MGSreviews
🏴BUYERS GUIDES: https://mygolfspy.com/category/golf-buyers-guides/
🏴NEW RELEASES: http://bit.ly/MGSnewgear
🏴PODCAST: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/no-putts-given/id1356729135
🏴DRIVER FITTING TOOL: https://truegolffit.com/

------------------------------------
MYGOLFSPY on Social Media

🏴Twitter: https://twitter.com/MyGolfSpy
🏴Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/mygolfspycom/
🏴Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/mygolfspy/

Listen Here

On 11/2/2021 at 1:00 PM, GolfSpy MPR said:
Duration: 00:46:32

Special guest Ryan Barath (@RDSBarath) joins us for a head to head debate with MGS owner Adam Beach: Should fittings be free for all golfers?

Welcome to MyGolfSpy!

Over 15 million golfers a year turn to MyGolfSpy to get unbiased, tested reviews and recommendations for the best golf gear to help you improve your game.

Golfers like you turn to us because we're independent and unbiased. And, over the years, we've created the #1 resource for golfers who put cold, hard data above marketing hype.

#MYGOLFSPY #CONSUMERFIRST

Check out MyGolfSpy today! www.mygolfspy.com

Used by over 15 million forward-thinking golfers!

Subscribe to MYGOLFSPY on YouTube: bit.ly/MGSyoutube
OUR MISSION: mygolfspy.com/our-mission/

Check out MyGolfSpy's other channels!
--------------------------------------------

🏴REVIEWS: http://bit.ly/MGSreviews
🏴BUYERS GUIDES: https://mygolfspy.com/category/golf-buyers-guides/
🏴NEW RELEASES: http://bit.ly/MGSnewgear
🏴PODCAST: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/no-putts-given/id1356729135
🏴DRIVER FITTING TOOL: https://truegolffit.com/

MYGOLFSPY on Social Media

🏴Twitter: https://twitter.com/MyGolfSpy
🏴Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/mygolfspycom/
🏴Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/mygolfspy/

Listen Here

I wouldn't have a problem with a $50 fitting if it was competent.  My issue is with places like club champion that charges $350 for the whole bag and that's to sell you clubs.  OK, fine, but then you pay 3,000 or more for clubs?  Also,that's a lot of money for someone who has a good set of Callaway or Taylormade clubs that need bent or different shafts, etc. Your just paying for the specs and have to take them to a club smith. It only takes them about an hour and a half. That's a high rate for the amount of time. Then there is the cost of buying and replacing shafts and paying a club fitter for each club to set the lie and loft angles, shaft lengths, etc.  I agree that if you are buying a 1300 dollar set of clubs, 500 dollar driver, 200 plus a piece for 3 fairway woods, another 500 or so for wedges and 250 for a putter as I did, you should get a professional fitting for free. Some of us live in an area that is at least 2 hours from a fitting facility.