(Answered) Ask Me Anything - Johnny Wunder - Callaway Golf

GolfSpy_TCG

AMA

Here we go, Johnny filmed this AMA response while at the last PGA Tour event for the year. Enjoy!

Coming to us from Callaway Golf, on this week's AMA we have Johnny Wunder. He's amped to do the AMA, so come to him with all your Callaway Golf questions. Some of Johnny's background below shows a little different path to the world of representing one of the major golf equipment organizations:

1. Johnny is the current Director of Tour Content for Callaway Golf
  2. Former Clubhouse Attendant of the Anaheim Angels
  3. Was Director of Content at GolfWRX.com from 2018-2021
  4. Produced the film JOSIE with Game of Thrones star Sophie Turner
  5. Born in Seattle, Washington and grew up at Rainier Golf and CC

Please give Johnny a warm welcome. 

image.png

• Like 6

Driver: Sim 8* turned down to 6* X-Stiff, Aldila Rogue Silver 110

3 Wood: Sim 14* X-Stiff, Aldila Rogue Silver

2 Hybrid: Cobra Forged Tec set to 17* X-Stiff, Catalyst 6.0

4-6 Irons: 2021 P790 X-Stiff, KBS Tour FLT

7-PW Irons: 2021 P770 X-Stiff, KBS C-Taper 1* flat

Wedges: Mod 1 50* with Universal Down sole, Mod 1 56* with Narrow UP sole

My Putter: Hates Me (Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 4 Putter)

5.8 Handicapped Right Hander from Salt Lake City, Utah

Thanks for doing AMA with MGS!  3 Questions:

1) It seems like you had a different path into Callaway than say an engineer, what does Director of Tour content involve?  Follow up to that is how did your other jobs lead you to this position?

2) If Callaway didn't have to conform the rules of golf, what kind of performance could be attained in a driver?  Super forgiving?  Super long?  I know Callaway had their non-conforming driver years ago and obviously it didn't sell well and was discontinued but is this ever explored again with the amount of new golfers taking up the game?

3) Ball question.  The Callaway ball slogan is "Better for Everyone".   Can you explain this slogan and how this is perceived as honest marketing? 

• Like 3

Hello Mr. Wunder,

I'm from Bellingham, right up the road from your hometown. I love golf and I also love deep faced fairway woods.  Currently gaming a deep faced Tour Edge Exotics OG 5 wood and I have an Xhot 3Deep I like on certain courses.  My question is why the triple diamond T DEEEEEEP faced fairway woods haven't been released to the public like many of the other triple D clubs have?  I have an extreme interest in obtaining a 5 and maybe 3 wood version of those clubs Rahm has ITB.  Is it possible to get one somehow, or are there some clubs that Callaway will ONLY allow tour pros to have?  Here's a picture from your blog that I follow.

RahmDEEP5wd.jpeg

i210, 10.5* M4 @ 44.5", X, TEE 18* ladies edition, two ball, Righty, North of North, Currently stuck in the 80s...

Johnny, As a former clubhouse attendant, will the Angles be good at baseball anytime soon? 

Now to golf, When your thinking about what content to make, what are the leading factors in getting it produced? And to follow that up, What about the content you get to make excites you?

Thanks for doing this!

• Like 1

Hi Johnny! Thanks for doing this! I understand Callaway's current iron line has literally a club for every type of golfer.  With that in mind, I have a couple of questions:

1. How much overlap is there when designing or creating clubs that fit the same style or type of player? (Apex, Mavrik Pro, x forged cb, etc.)

2. With all of those iron lines, is there any push back from off site golf shops (not big box stores) about the amount of product they need to carry on the floor or in inventory?

• Like 1

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

Thanks for joining in with AMA!

What is the one aspect in the life of a Tour player that might be a surprise to all of us 'Average Joe' golfers?

• Like 1

Driver:  PXG 211 Project X Evenflow CB, 50g 5.5

Fariway:  PXG 211, 3-Wood Project X Evenflow CB, 60g 5.5

Hybrid:   PXG 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

Irons:  :titelist-small: T300 4-5, T200 6-PW Nippon 880 Pro R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  CBX2 50*, 54*, 58*, TT Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

Welcome Johnny!  I have been a fan of the '19 PM Grind wedge since it came out.  I have the 54º and 60º with KBS Tour 90 regular flex shaft.  I have worn the finish of the sole of my 60º.

Since the Jaws Full Toe just came out, can you tell me how it is the same and different than the PM Grind?  I did notice that the bounce has been reduced; that was one feature I liked about the PM Grind.  Has Phil put this new wedge in the bag?

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Welcome Johnny & thanks for taking our questions! 

Jon Rahm switches from Taylor Made to Callaway.  It was reported, the first round Jon plays with Callaway clubs he shoots 59.  First question - was it true he shot 59?  Rahm seems to be striking ball better with Callaway irons.  Any particular reason why Rahm's ball striking has elevated with the change?   Was it a shaft change?  Better fitting process? 

Thank you! 

• Like 1

Callaway Maverick Pro - Std Length, 5-PW & A Wedge - Elevate 105 stiff Steel Shafts-

Callaway EPIC 9.0 Subzero - set at 10.0 Draw bias - 6.0 Stiff Flex

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Bobby Jones 21 degree - stiff flex

Wedges: Titleist SM5 - 54 (M Grind) wedge flex; SM5 60 (S grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron - Select Newport 2

Ball: Titleist ProV1x

Handicap 0.6

Thanks for doing the AMA. How’d you ever get into doing work with Callaway? What is your favorite club to play from them? Golf or Baseball, what’s your favorite sport?

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS with RDX Blue 70g S (Testing Ventus Velocore Blue 6s 45")

2H: :callaway-small: Super Hybrid with Tensei Orange Pro Hyb 80 Stiff (Testing Ventus Velocore Blue 8s Hyb)

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F5 hybrid soft stepped

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: TAII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter 

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X and :OnCore: vero X1 (Winter ball :titelist-small: proV1 )

Quick question...Do you think we will we ever see, 3D printed golf balls?

Mizuno MP33 irons - Stiff, standard length, 1º flat

Krank Rage head on a Penley Extra Stiff 46" shaft

Right handed

Lawrenceville, GA

12 handicap - but I'm "Workin' on it."

Hi Johnny,

Thanks for doing this. I've been really happy with these threads, and I'm sure you'll be right up there. I'd also like to thank all of Callaway for allowing me and three others to be testers for the Epic drivers. I greatly enjoyed doing the test, and learned a fair bit about my driving game as a result. I hope my write up lived up to your expectations.

My question is about the other end of the bag. My PW is a set matching cavity back (45°), while my gap (50°), sand (54°), and lob (58°) wedges are are traditional muscle backs. I have a very large yardage gap between the PW and GW, 35 yards. I worked with my instructor on this, and found that if I hit down really hard on the gap and sand wedges I can gain as much as 15 yards, but that's not a change I'm comfortable with. I still have a couple sets of older clubs in the basement, and I have a couple clubs where I have a cavity back and a muscle back in the same (or nearly the same, 1°) loft. Hitting those I found the cavity backs were consistenly 10-15 yards longer. My instructor says it's common for the cavity backs to go farther, but he says I show more of a difference than most. Is this really that common? How do you fit around it? In my case, we bent the gap and sand wedges 2° stronger (I left the lob at 58°), and brought the yardage gap down quite a bit. Both wedges were high bounce models, so there's still plenty of bounce left (>10°). I use the LW for the vast majority of my bunker and greenside play, so I didn't change anything there. I have tried some cavity back wedges (Cleveland CBX), but was really unhappy with my yardage control with those. Conversely, I'm really pleased with the wedges I'm using.

Thanks again for coming to MGS and letting us bend your ear!

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

Welcome Johnny, thank you for joining!

1. I have tried every aspect of Callaway's lineup and currently game the Mavrik driver and fairway wood- what is your favorite part of Callaway's current lineup (drivers, woods, irons, wedges, balls)?

2. I had seen speculation that Callaway was pulling production of the Chromesoft line and rebranding/changing their ball, any truth to this or was it just something that was happening on the production side? 

Appreciate your insight!

Johnny,

Welcome and thanks for being with us!!! I enjoy hearing you on Sirius XM whenever you're on, very informative.  I particularly appreciate the times that you talk about how equipment choices that touring pros make might benefit us - not because we should make the same choices but because we need to put similar thought into our set make up.

So my question is how do you as a Callaway spokesperson, feel about blended iron sets?  How would you recommend that break between iron types and what's the best way to cover gapping issues - as background for the question I'm an aging single digit player whose eye loves a player's iron and whose swing can handle it in my shot irons but whose shallow AoA and moderate swing speed needs help starting around 7 iron.

Thanks

• Like 1

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

I'm fascinated with the story about Callaway and the Chicopee Golf Ball plant.  How much of that history is part of the every day experience at Callaway Golf and how is it possible to maintain the production volume that Callaway has to be a market leader?

Verified Hack, 23 handicap 🙂  Golfing for exercise and peace of mind.

|> Big Dogs: O'Donnell Triumph hybrids 10-15-19-27 graphite, Ginty Trouble Club steel

|> Blades: First StrikeTM DeliveranceTM 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-P  Spitfire Graphite XL Shafts

|> Flatstick: Pinemeadow Z-ON M1       

⛳.  :1590477705_SunMountain:C130 Supercharged 🌲  :Clicgear:3.5+  🌳   1435280570_COBALTicon25tall.jpg.31b6f5458d409c6539d66b88e728a841.jpgQ6 Slope   🏌️‍♂️  572101405_SwingUicon25.jpg.ef5d6308ca59444daedc3e24214e87d9.jpgSwingU Looper  

💻  1308581734_EPLogoxsm.jpg.93b58a256c00a74e47a35314305b477f.jpgMGS Logo  🌐  1590215503_dghLogo30.jpg.f5abb718a74e4d05c07131656bb13e78.jpgBall mark   |>   IGBRC   [International Golf Ball Rescue Committee] "playing the best found balls" -Founder-

1231925043_PGAHOPE_H_4Ch30.png.f5b3c2e4a88708f6a6b5d3e143d9cba8.png PGA HOPE Member 2138091835_StickHackLogo2021(3)20pixelstall.png.47a28d11828bd99f0147b9eee5c17ec4.png  "The World's Greatest Golf Club Without The Course" Member 

2020 Official Tester - PuttUp mat logo_full_331d238c-3cab-4f84-ac72-d09e86f448c5_300x-25.png.11580987b80d9d26da7f04a31eadac9d.png  2021 Official Tester - Inesis Waterproof Grip Golf Shoes 1398724741_Inesislogo.jpg.34e215e2c1310a7b31d310ab89f4c188.jpg

I'm a big fan of utility driving irons, although I use them as driving clubs exclusively. Hybrid players can use hybrids as either long irons or lofted woods, but I prefer real lofted woods plus a driving iron.  One small cosmetic thing that I really like about Callaway's utility is they put just lofts rather than club numbers on their current model.

I think of my driving iron as a utility club, and although it's only cosmetic, I don't like seeing a "2" in the bag with the next number being a a'5."

It's not part of the set.  It's a driving iron.   But Ping. Titleist, TaylorMade, etc. are all putting numbers on their utility irons.

Is there market research saying that this is preferable?

Welcome to the MGS forums, a place where we don't hit our drivers 350+ and our PW's to tucked 190y pins. 😅 Okay, had to get that in, sorry. 

Callaway has really expanded in the last few years, clothing, lifestyle products, accessory brands, and have been driving some new trends with clubs(specifically in the hybrid/fairway wood space which has been largely stagnant for years.)

So... what is next for Callaway? And what is next for you?

• Haha 1

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 17.5° - Fujikura Pro

Utility:    :cobra-small: King Forged 20.5° Utility - Catalyst X

Irons:   image.png.cbfb2d938ea45d82004d9bdeb23cf643.pngD7 Forged GW-5i - Recoils

Wedges:   :Sub70:  JB 52° , 286 56°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

We know one of your players used a "backup driver" to win the PGA, but it wasn't callaway. Is there anything definitive that would match the demand for that other company's club? I know you have adjustable Strong 3's, but I used to have a Big Bertha Deuce in Left Handed and would love another one.

When my wife asked if I wanted to leave Maine and move to where she grew up, I couldn't say no to Pinehurst, NC. I honestly don't spend much money on golf equipment, but I'm constantly reading reviews in case I ever get ready to buy

I swing left handed and have been the State of Maine Left Hander's champion since 1997, the last year they held the tournament. I'm currently a 6.3 handicap. Trying to get lower, but my gut gets in the way.

WITB

Driver: :taylormade-small: R11 9 degree turned 1 degree lower (Bought since it was on sale at Dick's)

Irons: :titelist-small: 990's S300 Stiff shafts bought when I was in college. (Received a personal use discount, otherwise would've stuck with my Hogan Edge's)

3 Wood: :callaway-small: GBB Epic 15 degree (only club newer than 5 years in the bag)

52/56/60 :taylormade-small: Z Spin wedges (heck of a deal $100 for all 3 at Dick's in 2013)

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot XG SRT (bought because I won credit for a long drive in 2010)

I am a callaway guy through and through.  However, I’ve struggled hitting the drivers with balloon slices.  I tried the TM Mini 300 and have been smoking it down the middle of the fairway and longer than any callaway driver I have hit.  Please tell me callaway is researching a mini style driver.

Driver: TM Mini 300 11.5* dialed down to 10*

3 wood, 3H, 4H, 5H, 6I-PW: Callaway Big Bertha 21

Wedges:  Cleveland CBX 48*, 54*, 58*

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab Ten

Ball:  Oncore Elixir

Love my Epic Forged Irons. What is Callaway’s next edition of these great irons?  When is it coming?

KRK

Epic Forged. MD5 Wedges TS 3 8.5

Hey Johnny would love to hear what you thought of your first year on tour with the Callaway Staff, what surprised you the most...maybe a player who you thought might be unapproachable, but turned out to be a go to guy?

Having a year of experience what will you change or how will you change in what you do next year if anything. 

:titelist-small: TSi1 Aldila Ascent 40G shaft

:titelist-small: TSi2 18 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 and 23 degree hybrids Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T300 5-P Tensei  R flex shaft 1/4 long 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:ping-small: Tyne 4 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12