Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

No, it's just poor course design or tee placement.  If it's intended to be played by average golfers then it should be set up so that average players can play it.

Having said that, players should ensure they play off tees appropriate to their abilities.  If I were faced with a 200 yard carry to clear the water, with no option to play out to one side, I'm playing off the wrong tee and should move forward.

Edited by Pandaman
20 minutes ago, Pandaman said:

If I were faced with a 200 yard carry to clear the water, with no option to play out to one side, I'm playing off the wrong tee and should move forward.

Agree completely, I've seen a very few courses where someone playing the appropriate tees has an un-manageable carry.  But to the original question, there's no rule of golf.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

You are on the wrong tees and no there shouldn’t be a place to bail out. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Try playing that one hole up a tee.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

That is an option. If you keep a handicap, how does that figure in?

The other option is to play the hole from the same tee, but play it to your skill/distance level... stay short of the hazard and play your second shot from there?

My home course has a hole that requires a 200 yd. carry over a pond off the tee. Lots of guys just lay up to the pond and play from there.

I guess I don't understand the dilemma?

2 hours ago, silver & black said:

Are you on the wrong tees if there is only one hole on the course that poses this situation and all the rest are manageable?

Would have to see the score card to be certain but if you can’t carry the ball 200 yards the chances are very high you are playing the wrong tees.

I play a course where there is forced carry over water as well as yellow stakes in the marsh on the other side of the water from the tips and one tee box in front of those. Depending on which teeing ground they use the carry is anywhere from 160-220.

The two forward tees are both on the opposite side of water and and they water plays down the right side of the hole from there. Playing the third tee box on that course makes the course play long on almost all the par 4s and several of the par 5s

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

There is a course close to me where the first tee shot requires a carry of a ditch. The lay up area puts you on a downhill lie going into an up hill landing zone. If a new golfer or less skilled or not confident in their game will completely freak out. This is one of 4-5 holes on the course like this. For me it issue, but my wife hates that course and we never go there. 

The course has tried to change the design some but it is still a dumb design. 

Sub 70 949 D 9* HZRUDS 60G 6.5 smoke RDX shaft. 

Sub 70 949X 4 wood ALDILA ABV 65-S shaft

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

Callaway 56 and 58 wedge. 

OG White Hot #1 putter

On 11/4/2021 at 5:19 PM, Jim f murphy said:

Hi can you please settle an argument?

when you are playing from the tee on a par 4 and there is a hazard in front of you where. You would have to carry 200 yds to reach the fairway, if you are not capable of hitting over the hazard is it a rule of Golf that there must be a bale out area ?

regerds,

jim murphy

Why would you have an area with bundles of hay?

Nope there is no rule that there should be a "Bail" out area unless the hazard is a "Bale" of hay. Moving up to a closer tee should make the carry area shorter and some tees will avoid the hazard all together. Welcome to MGS from the resident sarcastic golfer!😉

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

25 minutes ago, Riverboat said:

Perhaps we could agree, all together, that it's altogether silly to focus on spelling and grammar on a forum like this? Just trying to bail out the bale speller.

You were right to point out my mistake and I'll agree to disagree with you!

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

Courses I hate are ones that force you to lay up with dog legs, water and other hazards and leave you 200yds into a par 4.

Courses I like are risk reward where you can take a carry on and make the hole appreciably shorter or bail out and leave a long iron.

OK question you carry the ball 220 yds with your driver  and you have a dog leg par 4 that has a large deep links bunker at the dog leg at 220 yds carry. Bail out left leaves 150yds in, if you carry the bunker it is about 270yds to the green and you have a chance of reaching. Grip it and ripped it a dolly 5i to the bail out?

WIMB

Driver Callaway Epic 10.5' Fujikura Stiff

3W Callaway Epic 15' Fujikura Stiff

3-AW Srixon Z565 Nippon Stiff

52', 56' Cleveland RTX 585 Wedges

Putter Taylormade Rosa Daytona

Bags 2017 Callaway Org14 Cart bag or 2018 Srixon Z start Carry bag