Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Spikes - yes or no?

DStar

Spikes - yes or no?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Currently in need of new shoes and have always worn spikes but do the new, spikeless, shoes work well in soft conditions?

• Yes
    • No

Out of 15+ pairs of golf shoes, by far, the most comfortable is the pair I recently reviewed, Duca del Cosma Tomcats.  My feet feel wonderful after a round.

Go to the review:  

9487DBD2-7B74-4DE3-885F-984B9D28396B.jpeg

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

On 11/8/2021 at 5:29 PM, ChitownM2 said:

...  The only possible up side I see is that I can wear them all day every day, in which case the "spikes"/sole design that provide the traction are going to wear down pretty fast.  Obviously if I am a golf instructor or similar it would be extremely convenient to just be wearing the same pair of shoes all day since you don't want to be wearing spikes around in your office, etc but for the casual golfer what is the upside? 

Of course I don't wear golf "spikeless" shoes all day, every day.  But on days that I play, I just find it easier to put them on at home, go to the course and maybe drinks or meal afterwards, and take them off when I get home.

To each, his own.

I'm spiked when playing morning rounds which is for the most part of my golfing. If I play an afternoon round with dry conditions I play spikeless. Even if I play in the morning with spikeless I can say I have never slipped during the swing. However I have slipped walking down a hill with wet grass with them. Just make sure you have a good tread pattern on the spikeless.

So damp with spikes and dry without for me.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

I've never had slipping issues with spikeless. That said, I find my spikes to be more comfortable overall.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I like spikes and wish we still used metal spikes.  I haven't crossed over to spikeless as I am concerned about them wearing out before the actual shoe is.  

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Changed to FJ Coastal Flex spikeless this summer. I’m never going back. My feet feel great and have zero issues with grip. All other golf shoes my feet would feel super tired after a round. Not anymore. 

:cobra-small: Radspeed Driver 10.5*

:cobra-small: Radspeed 3W 14.5*

:taylormade-small: Stealth 4H 22*

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4i-PW

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Wedge 52* Mid Bounce

:cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Wedge 56* Mid Bounce

Kirkland Signature KS1 Putter

In soft conditions, I wear Footjoy Rain boots, which, are spiked. But, my previous golf rain boots were Nike Air Bandon's, which, were spikeless. For more normal conditions, I wear spikeless golf shoes, which, I find more comfortable for walking. 

• 2 months later...

I have both spiked(Nike React Vapor) and spikeless(Nike Air Max G) and they both get the job done. I find my self preferring the spiked because I need the extra bit of traction as I used to play baseball and I'm used to moving that front foot, I get to keep myself a bit more grounded than when I sometimes slip in my spikeless. Now this may all be fundamental issues that I probably can correct but lately I'm definitely taking the React Vapor's out more than the Air Maxes. 

Driver: Nike VRS Covert

Wood: Nike VRS Covert 3 Wood

Irons: Nike Vapor Pro 3, Nike VR Pro Cavity 4-PW

Wedges: Nike SV Tour 52, 56, 60

Putter: Nike Ignite 001