Spikes - yes or no?

DStar

Spikes - yes or no?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Currently in need of new shoes and have always worn spikes but do the new, spikeless, shoes work well in soft conditions?

• Yes
    • No

6 hours ago, DStar said:

I do have a pretty high swing speed and, as I'm in the UK where it can be wet quite a lot, I think I'll stick with some spikes for now and, maybe, look at getting some spikeless for the dry days.

Winter is coming so not much point getting SL's now. Going to have a look at some FJ Premier or Tour-X as I've been really happy with my DryJoys for comfort. 

I think that is your best bet.  I did have the FJ Premiere Flint for a couple rounds and while not as good of grip as the Gallivanters, I think I only slipped a couple times through 3 rounds.  I got rid of them because of heal issues and just not fitting me properly, but I didn't mind the grip on those.  

• Like 1

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X

4 Iron - Srixon ZX 23* Recoil F5                                                     Testing: :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: MP 18 SC Dynamic Gold AMT X                   Testing: :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

21 hours ago, fozcycle said:

I have a pair as well….actually have a pair of each, superlite & pro/sl…..the only prob is the spikes will wear out easily. That said, buy with the understanding they won’t last forever.

Yup - but at $100 pretty easy to rationalize. BTW with 15 pr of shoes - and rotating them they should last you another 10-15 years 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

Footwear is important and for me, I need to feel connected to the ground when I'd in my downswing. I go spike every time. Current shoes are best ever: Adidas boost! 

• Like 1

Driver - Titleist TS3 9.5  (HRZDUS Smoke 6.5)

3 wood - TaylorMade SIM2 MAX  15 (Ventus Blue 6S)

Hybrid - TaylorMade SIM MAX 19 (Ventus Blue 7S)

Irons - Mizuno JPX 921 Tour 4-GW (DG X100)

Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM8 54D (DG X100) & 58M (DG S400)

Putter - Odyssey WH RX VLine

Ball - Titleist Pro V1

I see a lot of people commenting about some slippage when it is wet out, how are the spikeless shoes on uphill/downhill/sidehill lies?  Especially on some of the public courses where you might have thinner grass cover on these slopes.  I can see how spikeless shoes can be as good when you're in the fairway on flat ground, possibly even when wet, but I have a hard time believing they can match the performance when I'm standing with the ball 9 inches below my feet and the ground is wet/soggy and I may only have 70% grass cover and 30% dirt.  You're already off balance on those shots and having less traction seems like it would be a real problem.

My experience has been that there's significant differences in spikeless soles,  I had slipping problems with Puma Ignite NXT - they have a rounded lug sole and slipped on wet turf a few times.   I also have Adidas and New Balance Spikeless that have aggressive traction and rarely slip with those.    

Some of the FJ Flex and Nike models have flatish areas on their soles - I wouldn't trust those.  

On 11/8/2021 at 7:56 AM, fozcycle said:

As an avid golfer, who plays early in the morning 3 times a week, I need good sturdy spikes.  I also have torn ligaments in my left ankle so I need ankle support.  That said, I do have several pair of golf shoes to fit the occasion, 15 pair, both spiked and spikeless.  My most recent pair are spikeless and I tested and reviewed them on MGS…….Duca del Cosma.   Let me tell you, they grab so well, I had no issues with them on dew swept mornings.  

You're old enough to have started with steel spikes as I did, Foz.  

How did you get confidence in soft spikes?  I was never able to make the transition.

I loved playing with the nails, and suffered badly when they were taken away.  I've literally fallen down with modern spikes.

Eventually, I gave up and went all the way to spikeless, which literally meant changing how I play.  I used to be able to consciously swing hard.  I haven't tried that in a long time.  Now it's strictly about staying in balance and taking as much club as I need or laying up if I have to.   

Fifteen pair is impressive--quite cool, actually--but I only go with three pair,

all the same identical model always in three different colors. 

They all wear out at once, and I get three more.  I've done that forever.  I need three for next season.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, daverain1 said:

My experience has been that there's significant differences in spikeless soles,  I had slipping problems with Puma Ignite NXT - they have a rounded lug sole and slipped on wet turf a few times.   I also have Adidas and New Balance Spikeless that have aggressive traction and rarely slip with those.    

Some of the FJ Flex and Nike models have flatish areas on their soles - I wouldn't trust those.  

I'd agree - there is a huge difference in soft spikes. Having worn soft spikes and knowing the difference, If I was starting over and considering the transition to soft spikes, the first thing I'd look at is the sole - then comfort and lastly looks. And you're correct some Fj's have slight wavy soles vs. soft spikes - that's why I mentioned Pro/Sl and Superlites. 

Left Hand orientation

:ping-small: G410 SFT driver 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

21 hours ago, BostonSal said:

You're old enough to have started with steel spikes as I did, Foz.  

How did you get confidence in soft spikes?  I was never able to make the transition.

I loved playing with the nails, and suffered badly when they were taken away.  I've literally fallen down with modern spikes.

Eventually, I gave up and went all the way to spikeless, which literally meant changing how I play.  I used to be able to consciously swing hard.  I haven't tried that in a long time.  Now it's strictly about staying in balance and taking as much club as I need or laying up if I have to.   

Fifteen pair is impressive--quite cool, actually--but I only go with three pair,

all the same identical model always in three different colors. 

They all wear out at once, and I get three more.  I've done that forever.  I need three for next season.

I wa# 9 years old when I got my first set of spiked golf shoes…..walking around on the sidewalk outside the clubhouse made a clickety-clack sound. Made me feel a part of something.  Going from steel to plastic was tough, but as courses started banning steel, I had to get used to them.

• Like 3

Driver: PXG 0211 w/Evenflo Riptide CB Regular shaft 

Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3-4W(16*), 5-6W(20*) both w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft and Patriot 7W w/AccuLaunch 60 by Accuflex

Hybrid: Cobra F8 3 Hybrid(19*) w/Recoil ES regular shaft 

Irons: Wilson D7 5-PW w/Recoil 460 Regular graphite shafts 

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore(50*/54*/58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  

Putter: 33" Evnroll ER2 w/Evnroll Gravity Grip 

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black).  

Pushcart:  Caddytek 3.0 from Costco

Ball: Maxfli Tour CG & Titleist Pro V1x.

I only wear spikeless if I'm walking on a dry sunny day. Otherwise, spikes. even softspikes,  give me confidence to swing normally, especially on uneven or bald lies. Also, there have been studies as to swing speed differences between spike and spikeless shoes. Currently Puma PWRADAPT Caged.

• Like 2

Buy Ecco from the website only. I bought Ecco Biom Hybrid in black and white, $220 msrp, bought on sale with 40% off sale prices for $90 each. Very soft leather, waterproof with Gore-Tex. Get on their email and follow on FB.

• Like 1

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G400 Max Driver 10.5° w/Diamona S+ LTD Blue-Board 70 R Flex

Ping G410 5 Fairway Wood Mitsubishi Tensi Orange R Flex

Ping G410 4-5-6 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi Blue R Flex

Ping i500 Irons 5-U w/Recoil SmacWrap F3 Flex (power-spec lofts)

Ping 3.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap F3 Flex

2021 Ping Fetch Putter

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Mid-Size Grips

I currently have three pair of golf shoes that I use. My foot joys have the removable spikes as well as pair that has non removable spikes. I have a pair of skechers that only have the non removable spikes. If it's really wet out I will tend to wear my foot joys with the removable spikes as they do provide more stability from slipping. Otherwise I will wear the other two pair alternating. 

• Like 1

Golfnut

I have several pairs of spikeless and one pair of spikes. Though I prefer spikeless the spikes are surprisingly more comfortable.

Edited by tehuti

:honma: T//World GS 11.5° driver w/Speedtuned R flex  shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft

:srixon-small: Z355 22° 7 wood w/Miyazaki Jinsoku shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 19° 3 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 22° 4 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 25° 5 hybrid w/Kuro Kage Black shaft

Lazrus 27° 6 hybrid w/Lazrus  graphite shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 Tour+ irons 7-PW w/UST Competition Series graphite shafts

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50° wedge

post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:cleveland-small:  Huntington Beach Soft Premier 10.5

Out of 15+ pairs of golf shoes, by far, the most comfortable is the pair I recently reviewed, Duca del Cosma Tomcats.  My feet feel wonderful after a round.

Go to the review:  

9487DBD2-7B74-4DE3-885F-984B9D28396B.jpeg

• Like 2

Driver: PXG 0211 w/Evenflo Riptide CB Regular shaft 

Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3-4W(16*), 5-6W(20*) both w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft and Patriot 7W w/AccuLaunch 60 by Accuflex

Hybrid: Cobra F8 3 Hybrid(19*) w/Recoil ES regular shaft 

Irons: Wilson D7 5-PW w/Recoil 460 Regular graphite shafts 

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore(50*/54*/58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  

Putter: 33" Evnroll ER2 w/Evnroll Gravity Grip 

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black).  

Pushcart:  Caddytek 3.0 from Costco

Ball: Maxfli Tour CG & Titleist Pro V1x.

On 11/8/2021 at 5:29 PM, ChitownM2 said:

...  The only possible up side I see is that I can wear them all day every day, in which case the "spikes"/sole design that provide the traction are going to wear down pretty fast.  Obviously if I am a golf instructor or similar it would be extremely convenient to just be wearing the same pair of shoes all day since you don't want to be wearing spikes around in your office, etc but for the casual golfer what is the upside? 

Of course I don't wear golf "spikeless" shoes all day, every day.  But on days that I play, I just find it easier to put them on at home, go to the course and maybe drinks or meal afterwards, and take them off when I get home.

To each, his own.

• Like 1

I'm spiked when playing morning rounds which is for the most part of my golfing. If I play an afternoon round with dry conditions I play spikeless. Even if I play in the morning with spikeless I can say I have never slipped during the swing. However I have slipped walking down a hill with wet grass with them. Just make sure you have a good tread pattern on the spikeless.

So damp with spikes and dry without for me.

• Like 1

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: 939x 5 hybrid

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (6 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

I've never had slipping issues with spikeless. That said, I find my spikes to be more comfortable overall.

• Like 1

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10
Whatever ball I have 3 dozen of that my kids got me as a gift

Twitter: @russtopherb

I like spikes and wish we still used metal spikes.  I haven't crossed over to spikeless as I am concerned about them wearing out before the actual shoe is.  

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

In soft conditions, I wear Footjoy Rain boots, which, are spiked. But, my previous golf rain boots were Nike Air Bandon's, which, were spikeless. For more normal conditions, I wear spikeless golf shoes, which, I find more comfortable for walking.