Testers Wanted! Shot Scope V5 ×

Playing in Grint Tournaments

JC1959

I decided to try my hand at some "real" golf and joined the Grint, after getting enough rounds in the have a official grint handicap I went to my 1st Event that just happened to be in town at one of the nicer Courses.

Having played it a few times I know the layout so that felt like a advantage, we got rained out the day of the Tournament and it was rescheduled for a few months later and I actually did pretty good coming in second in my flight and quite honestly had the best putting day of my life with just about everything going in and even chipped in twice. So I was very energized and looked forward to more Tournaments, that's were things starting going downhill with my perception of the way the Tournaments are ran.

Has anyone else played in these Tournaments and what was your feeling on sandbagging?

Callaway Paradym 10.5* GD AD UB 6s

Callaway Paradym 3w GD AD UB 7s

Callaway Paradym 5w GD AD DI 8x

Mizuno JPX 923 tour 4-GW PX IO 6.0

Mizuno 23 54* PX IO 6.5

Mizuno 23 58* PX IO 6.5

PING PLD 

• 1 month later...

Honestly I had no idea Grint did ran tourney's. 

As for Sandbagging goes, the people that do this and they know who they are should throw their clubs in a lake, then take a long walk off a short pier.  

Sub 70 949 D 9* HZRUDS 60G 6.5 smoke RDX shaft. 

Sub 70 949X 4 wood ALDILA ABV 65-S shaft

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

Callaway 56 and 58 wedge. 

OG White Hot #1 putter

• 11 months later...

On this topic the next The Grint Tour is up for signup.  It's happening at The Ocean at Kiwah Island, a bucket list course for sure.  It's happening at the wrong time of the year and I'm way to busy to be able to take time out to do it, but I'm jealous of whoever from the forum that can go.  Anyone thinking of signing up?

It actually doesn't seem unreasonably priced all things considered, but that may just be the addict in me talking.

Driver - PXG GEN5 0311FX 9°+1° flat - ProjectX Cypher 40 5.5 trimmed to 44"
Wood - PXG GEN5 0311FX 4-wood flat - ProjectX Cypher 50 5.5 
Hybrid - PXG 0211 22° flat - ProjectX Cypher 50 5.5  and Adams Idea 5HY - 39" Fubuki z60 Hy Flex-R shaft
Irons - 5-PW Callaway Rouge ST Max w / ProjectX Tour Flighted 105 steel shafts
Wedges - Kirkland Signature G/S/L
Putter - Kirkland Signature KS1   Wilson Brass Tech BT-2 with Garsen ULTIMATE grip

Balls - Titelist Pro V1 (PROTO 388) and Pro V1x (PROTO 348 test balls from current '22 ball test.

RH player shooting ~112 in Portland, Oregon.  New to the game and improving every week!

• 4 weeks later...

Well it’s not the Grint.  But here’s an outing that is going to be a blast and a good value. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

On 11/8/2021 at 5:55 AM, JC1959 said:

Has anyone else played in these Tournaments and what was your feeling on sandbagging?

I have seen it all. Sandbaggers, downright cheaters and people delaying turning in their score card until they find out the score to beat. The bigger the stakes the bigger the cheaters.

If you can find a tournament with walking marshals or as long as you have to keep your opponents score then it’s harder for cheaters to cheat. You can research comments on the past events to see what others are saying. 

In general you will enjoy competitive play it’s just a few bad apples to give you a bad taste. Normally they get caught or called out and eventually banned.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

I have been watching the scores for the last few Grint Tournaments here in Central Florida and the sandbagging continues with folks that claim to be 8-12 caps shooting in the 70's under tournament conditions on some fairly tough courses, of course any 8-12 cap can have a stellar round and put up a sub 80 score.

But it always seems to be the same people doing it, how do their caps not go down? unless they are not posting low scores as a rule. It takes away from wanting to pay the money if the Grint Management is going to consistently turn a blind eye to this type of behavior. It does seem to be the guys that play a lot of the Tournaments that are doing it so I guess they don't want to piss off the regulars.

Callaway Paradym 10.5* GD AD UB 6s

Callaway Paradym 3w GD AD UB 7s

Callaway Paradym 5w GD AD DI 8x

Mizuno JPX 923 tour 4-GW PX IO 6.0

Mizuno 23 54* PX IO 6.5

Mizuno 23 58* PX IO 6.5

PING PLD 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/21/2022 at 11:15 PM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I have seen it all. Sandbaggers, downright cheaters and people delaying turning in their score card until they find out the score to beat. The bigger the stakes the bigger the cheaters.

If you can find a tournament with walking marshals or as long as you have to keep your opponents score then it’s harder for cheaters to cheat. You can research comments on the past events to see what others are saying. 

In general you will enjoy competitive play it’s just a few bad apples to give you a bad taste. Normally they get caught or called out and eventually banned.

In the book ‘Tales from Q School’ some of the guys actually leave early and have their caddies call them with the score.  I recommend this, just leave and no need to worry about the cheats.  Surely someone will send you a postcard if you win.

Mizuno irons, hybrids and Driver of the week 😆.  Cally wedges from CPO!

Nice Shot Man! ⛳️ 

• 1 month later...

Everybody is going to hate me and this is going to get called the worst take ever, but just don't play net events. This whole idea that "golf is unique because people with different skill levels can compete against each other on a level playing field"...is just GARBAGE. It's nonsense, hogwash, HOT TRASH. The whole handicap system sucks to begin with and the fact is that people cheat. Always have, always will. And the better your handicap gets, the more you're going to get screwed by the handicap system to boot. Gross events are the only way play on a level playing field. And even then, in the book referenced above, 'Tales from Q School', even those guys had to deal with cheaters - in professional events! Scrap the handicap system...burn it all!

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP DJ 65TX
Titleist TSR2 15º -  LAGP Tour AXS Blu 70X
PING iCrossover 3i - PING Tour Chrome 2.0 X
Mizuno MP-5,  4-9 C-Taper 
Mizuno T22 47.5º, 52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper

Scotty Special Select Newport 2 
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x

On 12/22/2022 at 4:04 AM, JC1959 said:

I have been watching the scores for the last few Grint Tournaments here in Central Florida and the sandbagging continues with folks that claim to be 8-12 caps shooting in the 70's under tournament conditions on some fairly tough courses, of course any 8-12 cap can have a stellar round and put up a sub 80 score.

But it always seems to be the same people doing it, how do their caps not go down? unless they are not posting low scores as a rule. It takes away from wanting to pay the money if the Grint Management is going to consistently turn a blind eye to this type of behavior. It does seem to be the guys that play a lot of the Tournaments that are doing it so I guess they don't want to piss off the regulars.

My question on this if it is a grint tourney is, Can Grint check when scores are posted for certain people?  What I mean is, When I play I use the Grint app and my score automatically goes in with one issue. I have to upload it, hit and hold the button for this to happen. I do this every time except if I am playing in scramble or event where all my strokes aren't used for a score. 

Sub 70 949 D 9* HZRUDS 60G 6.5 smoke RDX shaft. 

Sub 70 949X 4 wood ALDILA ABV 65-S shaft

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

Callaway 56 and 58 wedge. 

OG White Hot #1 putter

• 1 month later...
On 2/24/2023 at 3:28 PM, The Mad Bomber said:

Everybody is going to hate me and this is going to get called the worst take ever, but just don't play net events. This whole idea that "golf is unique because people with different skill levels can compete against each other on a level playing field"...is just GARBAGE. It's nonsense, hogwash, HOT TRASH. The whole handicap system sucks to begin with and the fact is that people cheat. Always have, always will. And the better your handicap gets, the more you're going to get screwed by the handicap system to boot. Gross events are the only way play on a level playing field. And even then, in the book referenced above, 'Tales from Q School', even those guys had to deal with cheaters - in professional events! Scrap the handicap system...burn it all!

I'm not against this at all. It always feels weird to get "beat" by someone that you are much better than. Competitive sports are about being as good as possible and I'm not sure the handicap system helps 

Untitled design-3.png

On 4/25/2023 at 4:56 PM, knotthead17 said:

I'm not against this at all. It always feels weird to get "beat" by someone that you are much better than. Competitive sports are about being as good as possible and I'm not sure the handicap system helps 

Just imagine if they did this in other sports. You race Usain Bolt, but you start 43 meters down the track from him. And you “win”. How is that a win?!? It’s not, and anyone starting down the track like that should just accept that they suck and race straight up against people as slow as them. Golf is the only major sport that makes “winners” out of losers.

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP DJ 65TX
Titleist TSR2 15º -  LAGP Tour AXS Blu 70X
PING iCrossover 3i - PING Tour Chrome 2.0 X
Mizuno MP-5,  4-9 C-Taper 
Mizuno T22 47.5º, 52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper

Scotty Special Select Newport 2 
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x

7 hours ago, The Mad Bomber said:

Just imagine if they did this in other sports. You race Usain Bolt, but you start 43 meters down the track from him. And you “win”. How is that a win?!? It’s not, and anyone starting down the track like that should just accept that they suck and race straight up against people as slow as them. Golf is the only major sport that makes “winners” out of losers.

Yeah exactly. Just doesn’t make a lot of sense to me 

Untitled design-3.png

I use The Grint but did not know they ran tournaments.

Do you use your Grint handicape?

I Play in SW WA and in the PDX area

I like to walk, I have a Clicgear with all the accoutrements and I am considering getting a V2.

On 4/25/2023 at 3:56 PM, knotthead17 said:

Some local clubs I've seen (or at least larger clubs), have both a net and gross competition with prizes for both.  Not sure if that's typically the case though.

Driver: :ping-small: Ping G425 Max ( Mitsubishi Tensei Orange 55g R)

Woods: :callaway-logo-1: Callaway Big Bertha B23 3 Wood (RCH 55 Regular), :taylormade-small: TaylorMade Stealth 2 HD 5 Wood (Fujikura Speeder NX Red Regular)

Hybrid:  :titleist-small: Titleist TSR2 5 Hybrid (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 65 R)

Irons: :callaway-logo-1: Callaway Apex 21 DCB (Project X IO Steel R), 

Wedges: :cleveland-small: Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 50, :cleveland-small: Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54, :callaway-logo-1: Callaway Jaws Full Face 58

Putter: :cleveland-small: Cleveland HB Soft #8P (UST All-In)

Ball: :srixon-small: Srixon Q Star Tour

On 2/24/2023 at 5:28 PM, The Mad Bomber said:

On 4/25/2023 at 6:56 PM, knotthead17 said:

I'm not totally against the handicap system, it works best if you're playing against friends/people you know. It's annoying at tournaments, somehow there's always a couple of 20 handicapers who shoot "career rounds" giving low handicaps absolutly no chance of winning. I only play in events now that have gross and net divisions. I know there's still cheaters out there but at least I feel I have a chance.

• 1 month later...

love the grint. best app out there, except for in the mygolfspy virtual tournament, which gives double points for using a different app, which is why i’m not participating this time around. 

as far as handicap, I follow the rules to the best of my understanding, and I only go out of my way to play with guys who do the same. unfortunately my father in law is a huge cheater, but other than that, my golf groups have been pretty great over the years, with real competition and respect among each other. makes it all worth it for me. 

Edited by ryan.mzzz

D       ______ Ping G400
F{3|15} ______ Cobra King F9
X{3|19} ______ Ping G425 Hybrid 
I{5|24} {6|27} {7|31} {8|35} {9|40} Callaway Apex CF16

W{45|50} _____ Vokey SM8
W{54|58} _____ Vokey SM9
P ____________ L.A.B. DF 2.1 w/ Stability