Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

using lats to pull club down and up

This fellow mentioned he really trys to engage his lats to pull the club but I’m not sure how exactly this would be done, is it supposed to feel like your trying to jerk your lat muscle away from your back? https://youtu.be/yn-g_TRrnh4?t=34

should you try to engage both lat muscles for both  the down swing & back swing - or do you only engage the rear lat for the backswing & front lat for downswing 

Edited by Timmytoe
1 hour ago, Timmytoe said:

should you try to engage both lat muscles for both  the down swing & back swing - or do you only engage the rear lat for the backswing & front lat for downswing 

As usual you are focusing on one tiny aspect of Bryson’s swing and trying to incorporate it into you swing.   You could also look to Kyle Berkshire as they do similar things.  In the article below you can see that it is about strengthening the lats to increase speed not consciously trying to engage specific muscle groups  

https://golf.com/instruction/fitness/workout-tips-gain-yards-kyle-berkshire/

as is usually recommended to you,  find an instructor and golf fitness coach and don’t nitpick small details or comments in a video   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Lats in the golf swing are used for rotation of the shoulder, arm extension(getting the arm up) and getting at the down and forward.

I can tell you in all the swing videos I’ve watched from GG, AMG, Monte and several others along with the lessons I’ve taken there’s been no discussion on engaging the lats in the backswing or downswing. Doesn’t mean they don’t have a role, as mentioned above they do certain things. For most it’s a feeling and not something that actually happens. Some need to feel it’s the shoulders that start the backswing, others it’s the chest/rib cage and other it could be train shoulder or lats.

Brysons swing is unique to Bryson. He’s used a one plane swing and then has worked with very high level coaches to make tweaks that work for him to achieve a certain goal with speed and not sacrifice accuracy to maximize his distance.

Trying to do anything that Bryson does without having his skills, his mechanics and his body are going to lead to disaster for anyone trying to mimic it. 

Find an instructor that teaches the one lane swing, work on it with that person and let them fine tune your swing to what your body can do.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Sometime ago, someone looked at the ability of golfers to do different strength exercises to see if there was a correlation to swing speed. The only one that consistently had a positive correlation was the number of pull ups the golfer could do.  How important are lats to pull ups?

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

7 hours ago, cnosil said:

As usual you are focusing on one tiny aspect of Bryson’s swing and trying to incorporate it into you swing.   You could also look to Kyle Berkshire as they do similar things.  In the article below you can see that it is about strengthening the lats to increase speed not consciously trying to engage specific muscle groups  

https://golf.com/instruction/fitness/workout-tips-gain-yards-kyle-berkshire/

as is usually recommended to you,  find an instructor and golf fitness coach and don’t nitpick small details or comments in a video   

He has a very unconventional swing and no one around my area teaches it, but it's no problem as I'm not to far away from figuring it out/replicating it , albeit a rough version 

When I'm at an area that does teach his swing I'll visit them and they'l sharpen it up but in the meantine I'm trying to  figure it out myself

Edited by Timmytoe
1 hour ago, Timmytoe said:

He has a very unconventional swing and no one around my area teaches it, but it's no problem as I'm not to far away from figuring it out/replicating it , albeit a rough version 

When I'm at an area that does teach his swing I'll visit them and they'l sharpen it up but in the meantine I'm trying to  figure it out myself

Nobody is going to teach his swig because it’s his swing. His coach wouldn’t teach you his swing. 

Trying to mimic his swing isn’t a smart move. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Kirk Junge has some content around the Bryson swing and how you can mimic many elements of Bryson's swing. However, even Kirk says you shouldn't try to copy exactly what Bryson does. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4