TESTERS WANTED! ×

2021 is winding down. How did your year of golf play out for you?

Although I didn't play as much as I would have liked (said pretty much everyone, ever!) I am pretty happy with my season. Exercise and stretching over the past 1.5 years gained me almost a club of distance that I didn't have before. I got a driver "lesson" from a few single digit friends that helped me immensely and finally had me hitting driver decently for the first time in a while. Had my first ever 9 hole round that I played with a single ball, no penalties or balls lost to the woods/water. 

I'm hopeful that the mild weather continues and I can get out there a few more times before putting the clubs in the closet for the winter.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Best season of golf ever.  Also the first season ever, so there's that. Had a ton of fun and have seen my son and I gradually improve among the daily ebbs and flows.  Excited for next year!

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet Max 3 wood and 7 wood

Cobra Aerojet 4/5/6 hybrids

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

Cobra Snakebite 52° and 58° wedges

Cobra King Stingray 20 putter

Like @Grand Stranded I had an up and down year.  I started out in the spring looking forward to the 3-day clinic in LA with Monte Scheinblum.   He pointed out my biggest flaw which is not making a good rotation in my backswing.  So, I worked on that along with his No Turn Cast video.  It got me into a better impact position, and it basically cured my sh@nks.  Thank you Monte!!  I managed to shoot my age... 74 and I followed that up with a sub-par 71.  That was a big UP!!  

Now the Down...  I had been working on increasing/maintaining swing speed, and I started to have shoulder and wrist problems.  At 74 I expect to have aches and pains, but with each year it gets harder and harder to recover.  I've played through it with mixed results.  Some days I play pretty well, and other days it's like Why am I out here?  I've always had swings in score from one round to another, but this year the curve has swung more to mid- to high 80's scores... fewer mid- high 70's rounds.  

I haven't been spending as much time on short game practice as previous years because my focus has been on improving my ball striking.  Maybe that's part of the problem IDK.  I guess I need to spend enough time to maintain my swing, but spend more time on pitching and putting.  Moving up to the White (Senior) tees has helped with more scores in the 70's, but I can also shoot the same high 80's scores that I do from the Blue tees.  

I've considered taking some time off now that the weather is turning colder; even felt like quitting after a few rounds this year, but as I posted in my Signature... I can't quit, because I don't want to get old!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

This season was back at it. After the last two years preparing for, and having, the been of our first child and COVID, I didn't play much.

This year I've gotten 55 rounds - wanted 60, but there's still time.

I wanted to push for scratch, and ended the year at 3.5. I started at 5.4, went up to almost 7 and lowest was 3.3. 

I shot my lowest round in years, firing 74 three times on my home course.

I wanted to play in several tournaments, but I only completed 1. First, my handicap went up so I wasn't able to qualify for the big tournaments. Then I got sick and had to WD before even playing. A third one I had to WD on the second day due to a family health issue. At least the 1 tournament I played, I broke 80 for the first time shooting 79.

I know for next year I need to drop more weight in the off season, get back to a stretching routine, and find a way to keep the swing going till March.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

My golf season wasn’t cut short this year like the last 2 years because of multiple eye surgeries. That alone makes it a good one. My handicap started just over 17 and dropped to 13.5. I also broke 80 for the first time. Bought a new driver, utility iron and putter all were good additions. 

D- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

Hybrid- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699 U  21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges- Sub 70 286 50+54, Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree 

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach soft # 11

Ball- Titleist Tour Soft

Strange year for me since I was playing in the high 80's the beginning of the year then slowly got worse. Mid summer, I was wondering if golf was worth the time and effort as I also lost my tee shot - didn't matter whether it was a driver, 5 wood or hybrid. Nothing worked! The around September it all changed, tee shots came back, woods and irons were back and wedges were spot on. I'm going to attribute most of the issues to a pulled hamstring and even after I recovered from that injury I was hesitant about rotating in my backswing. Also lots of focus on the swing really helped. This past week, I've played 18 for 6 days in a row with little discomfort in my leg. My other issue is the putter.  I'm 3 putting too often.  My tendency has been a push -  I just upgraded the heel weight from 8 g to 30g. Putting improved dramatically yesterday and the misses were generally on the line but either slightly short or long. So more work required on distance control. 

Yesterday was my best since early Spring, carding an 85, one bad drive on a par 5 and 1 on a par 3. Better yet, I knew why; I always take a practice swing with my driver and didn't on the last par 5  (too confident) and the par 3 was just a bad club selection with the ball ending up in the bunker.  Still lots of work required but no reason why I can't play consistently in the mid to low 80's.  

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

2021 is a weird one for me.  It's been mostly a good year with a lot of highs, but it's also been incredibly frustrating scoring wise and the lows have been pretty low.  I started the year with the goal to improve from the mid cap location I've been sitting at for years.  That started with heavy swing work and stopping the casual practices I'd been guilty of when playing (Gimme's, breakfast balls, etc.)  It turns out that I may not have actually been a mid-capper in the first place.... Even knowing that, it has felt like a major regression. 

Along the rest of the way:

• A major jump in swing speed, which caused a major issue in dispersion. 
  • A fitting to help correct the dispersion -- which also opened my eyes to club building. 
  • A rebuilt iron set. 
  • A renaissance with my driver and off the tee that exposed the weakest part of my game (Chipping & Pitching). 
  • A 105 yard hole out to halve the first competitive thing I've ever done on a golf course. 
  • Learning to practice with purpose
  • Almost cutting my finger off and having to sit out for a month while it healed
  • A complete rebuild of my pitching/chipping stroke -- which actually helped my iron striking
  • Hours and hours and hours of chipping and pitching practice
  • Learning to build clubs 
  • Rebuilding my wedges
  • Playing competitive golf in a local men's club
  • Maybe winning my flight at a tournament? (they still haven't posted results)
  • Lot's and lots of tinkering with the bag.  

The year has been a net positive, but the scoring regression (a real regression combined with finally counting all strokes) has really clouded it for me.  I'm only just finding my way out of it both from a more positive perspective and actually seeing improvement in my game.  Hoping next year will be much better scoring wise as it feels like my swing has never been better, I'm pretty competent off the tee, my putting is solid, my wedges are finally coming in line, and I'm finally figuring out how to play my brand of aggressive golf without making stupid mistakes.  I've got a pretty serious package of lessons on the way for my birthday and Christmas via my wife and I may actually make it to single digits after all.

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0811XT -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

PXG_Logo Small.jpg 0211 3W -- Tensei AV Raw Blue

Hybrids

image.png.374545efa45a29aed00287677e783604.png  0317X 2&4 -- Tensei AV Raw Blue 

Irons 

:srixon-small: ZX7 4/AW -- C-Taper Lite 110

Wedges

:cleveland-small:  RTX Zipcore 56 Mid @55° -- TT DG Spinner

Putter

Test.png DF2.1 or Link.1 -- Accra

Ball

:srixon-small:  Zstar Diamond

One of the most bizarre years of my golfing life I can remember. I got burnt out competing towards the end of last year so was taking a little breather. Then in January I hurt my back again and then again in April. Couple that with the pandemic life of a college and high school student and I played less golf this year than I have in the last 5+. It was nothing for me to play 5 days a week prior to this year, in 2021 I had 0 weeks of 5 rounds and 1 of more than 2 and that was last week. With all of that I have continued to work on my game and even though my handicap is higher than it has been in over 4 years, I know that I am a better golfer than I was previously. On the plus side I tied my personal best of 67 at my home club and last weekend won our club championship. So while not what I had planned for the year it was still another successful year on the course and off. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

2021 was probably the most golf I played in almost 10 years. My handicap did go down to the low 4's but I feel I am, at times, far off from where I really can and should be. I have some good rounds and some terrible rounds. I'd be ok with a slightly higher handicap if I was more consistent.

That's a total lie. I want it even lower. Moving to Pinehurst has been great, even if I didn't play any of the Pinehurst courses this year. A couple times at Country Club of North Carolina, some rounds at Whispering Pines, and Foxfire, and some rounds at Midland Country Club. I can't complain with a 10 play pass for only $99.

Hopefully in 2022 I make some adjustments to my dated bag.

When my wife asked if I wanted to leave Maine and move to where she grew up, I couldn't say no to Pinehurst, NC. I honestly don't spend much money on golf equipment, but I'm constantly reading reviews in case I ever get ready to buy

I swing left handed and have been the State of Maine Left Hander's champion since 1997, the last year they held the tournament. I'm currently a 7.1 handicap. Trying to get lower, but my gut gets in the way.

WITB

Driver: image.png.2a9745c9eca1e1dcd4c3ecfd5b2823e3.png Epic speed 9 degree

Irons: :titelist-small: 990's S300 Stiff shafts bought when I was in college. (Received a personal use discount, otherwise would've stuck with my Hogan Edge's)

3 Wood: :callaway-small:  Epic speed 15 degree or image.png.188f225bd9daa89b3976cdaa079d23d0.png PT15

52/56/60 :taylormade-small: Z Spin wedges (heck of a deal $100 for all 3 at Dick's in 2013)

Putter: :odyssey-small: OG Rossie

image.png

It was one of the strangest years that I've ever had.  Injury put me down and required a much later start that I usually have.  Once I was able to golf around Mid May, I was lucky to find my game was still there for the most part.  I was able to reduce my handicap from a 4.5 to a 2.6 this year.  I feel a bit off my game now, but I had a lot of confidence for most of the year.  Hoping to come on even stronger next year and not skip a beat.  I did not achieve my overall goal of shooting under par this year for a full round.  I shot 1 over several times and even once and I did have a 9 hole round at 3 under and a couple at 2 under, but did not have the time for a complete round. I suppose you can put them together, but that does not seem like the right thing to do.

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

My golf swing has gotten better as the season progress. My putting and chipping had been inconsistent during the year 

I think I been regarding putting and chipping as a “separate game”. As long as regard rolling the ball as a “game within a game”   Keep it in the context of golf game and not separate the swing from the stroke all is good. 

I don’t keep a handicap but it certainly would have dropped this year.  I’ve dropped from mid to high 80’s down to the low to mid 80’s.  If I can tame my blow up holes I’ll be in the 70’s. Snowman be gone!  That’s my goal for next year.

Nothing changed as far as equipment goes, just picked up a few tips that really solidify my swing.  I also practice putting in the house while on conference calls.  I don’t aim make a putt although it does help the ego.  I aim to roll the ball end over end.  For indoor practice on carpet I think that’s all I can hope for.

On 11/10/2021 at 10:58 PM, Grand Stranded said:

What about you guys? How was your season/year? Any big changes, improvements, or issues with your game you want to share with the class?

Great year!  Closing in on 45 rounds, and that is mostly just once on the weekend.  Holed out from 70 yards for my first eagle of the year, last weekend, thankfully the snow flurries didn't affect the shot any.  My oldest brother started playing with my second oldest brother and I so that is a great thing.   I'm thankful that I'm getting better (almost completely there), at just not taking the game too seriously anymore.  I'm finally realizing(at 55, which is not old mind you) that life is to freaking short to let some bad golf shots detract even the slightest amount from the enjoyment of playing golf with two of my older brothers.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

In spite of the pandemic related headwinds, 2021 has been a great year of golf.  Full bag fitting yielding the ZX5's with MMT shafts, new KBD TD driver shaft, new ER5v putter (thanks again MGS!!) and good health.  The composite iron shafts have greatly reduced my chronic left shoulder pain and I'm finding them every bit as good, arguably better, than steel. I averaged just about a round/week (golf still competes with fly fishing when back in Montana 🙂), spent a week playing with @Thin2win, @Kenny B(and his wife Martha) in Spokane, and now a full month into the winter season here in AZ.  My handicap is currently 10.9 and I feel like my quest to once again reach single digit is doable.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)