Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Most important fitting

shome

I was looking at the 2021 Best data for putters, drivers (mid swing speed) and game improvement irons.  The strokes gained spread across the clubs in a category is approximately...

Putter 2.2 strokes

Driver 0.769 strokes

GI Irons 0.1276 strokes

I did not see specific strokes gained numbers for wedges.

Doesn't this mean that far and away a putter fitting can make the biggest difference in your game?  Yet I see and hear of people fitting their driver and irons.  Driver fitting is important but if you only do one fitting then choose a putter fitting.  

2 hours ago, shome said:

I was looking at the 2021 Best data for putters, drivers (mid swing speed) and game improvement irons.  The strokes gained spread across the clubs in a category is approximately...

Putter 2.2 strokes

Driver 0.769 strokes

GI Irons 0.1276 strokes

Doesn't this mean that far and away a putter fitting can make the biggest difference in your game?  Yet I see and hear of people fitting their driver and irons.  Driver fitting is important but if you only do one fitting then choose a putter fitting.  

makes sense but my dumbass will probably just keep throwing away a couple hundred dollars every time my putter loses the magic.  

• Driver-  Ping G410 Plus 9*
  • Fairway- Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3 Wood 16.5*
  • Hybrid- Tour Edge Hot Launch C521 19* & 22* 
  • Irons-PXG 0211 DC, 5-GW
  • Wedges-  Sub70 286 54* & Sub70 JB 58*
  • Putter- Ping Sigma G Tyne (Superstroke grip)
  • Ball- Snell MTB-X Maxfli Tour X
  • Grips- Golf Pride CP2 Wrap Midsize
  • Bag- Ping Hoofer USA Edition 
  • Arccos 
2 hours ago, shome said:

Putter 2.2 strokes

Driver 0.769 strokes

GI Irons 0.1276 strokes

I think the answer is yes, no, maybe.  🙂   

The most wanted results are a combination of results over a group of golfers and individually those results could be significantly different.  Wedge testing is a little different since they do both a full swing, partial wedge, and wet wedge test.  Wedge fitting is important too since you have to consider bounce and grind and how you interact with the turf.

The large strokes gained numbers do point to a perspective that having the right putter is important and fitting is an ideal way to accomplish that.  I am a proponent of putter fitting and believe there is more to selecting a putter than looks and feel.    The putter strokes gained number could be related to the fact that the testers are bad putters.  Would probably need lots more analysis to figure out the details of that number. 

When looking at improving your game you need to understand your game to figure out where improvements are necessary.   If you are a good putter,  a putter fitting may just confirm  that you are already playing with the best putter.    If you struggle off the tee,  a driver fitting may be most important.   

You could be in a position where all your clubs are properly fit and you need to work on your swing skills or on course decision making.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I think that csnoil had a very fancy way of saying what I'm going to - I don't think that is the intended use of the most wanted testing numbers.  

Ultimately they are not fit to the equipment that they are testing for us - it's off the rack with tweaks, exactly what the average Joe might do when he walks into Dicks or Golf Galaxy.  They are trying to give us starting points for various swing types within each category of clubs.  From there one needs to judge for himself.  For example a number of years ago I was in need of a different set of irons - I looked at the Most Wanted testing but not the overall results - overall results including a long iron category - I don't game long irons so I created my own chart as it were. 

If your budget is limited and you can only be fit for one portion of your equipment you need to know your own tendencies - what's most important for you may not be for me.  No doubt there's some fruit to be found in each area of the game if you've not been fit but which one will bear the most fruit only you know and that by careful analysis.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

22 hours ago, shome said:

Putter 2.2 strokes

Driver 0.769 strokes

GI Irons 0.1276 strokes

I don't pay much attention to 'Most Wanted' for clubs. An actual fitting (not online ) that result in clubs that suit my swing is far more important to me in the decision making/purchase process. And I would go for a complete bag fitting - driver to putter.  

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

On 11/13/2021 at 9:01 AM, shome said:

Putter 2.2 strokes

Driver 0.769 strokes

GI Irons 0.1276 strokes

This is an interesting way to look at it... My personal opinion on fitting in order of importance is:
Driver > putter > wedges > irons

A poorly fit driver can easily cost you 20 yards per hole (0.2-0.3 strokes), but you could learn to putt with almost any putter with enough reps and it would be rare to magically drop 4 strokes with a new putter and no change to practice routines. The sheer volume for putter still makes it important. Wedges are so specialized for grinds, turf, partial/specific shots, on top of generic gapping. Irons is mostly gapping similar to long game, but there are specific shots and trajectories to consider in long game as well.  

I haven't made up my mind on long game (woods, hybrids, utilities) but it would probably be before or after wedges. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

I'm a big believer in putter fittings.  A couple years ago my wife bought me a putter fitting at Club Champion.  Was a great experience and I learned a lot about my putting stroke, type of putter best for me, lie angles, loft, etc.  I'm still using that same putter for 2 + years now.  But you've also got to be able to get to the green reasonably so those fittings are important also.  

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

PXG forged 54 & 58 wedges

PXG Operator H w/ BGT Stability shaft

On 11/13/2021 at 2:00 PM, PBH3 said:

makes sense but my dumbass will probably just keep throwing away a couple hundred dollars every time my putter loses the magic.  

You are not alone

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

2 hours ago, Larryd3 said:

I'm a big believer in putter fittings.  A couple years ago my wife bought me a putter fitting at Club Champion.  Was a great experience and I learned a lot about my putting stroke, type of putter best for me, lie angles, loft, etc.  I'm still using that same putter for 2 + years now.  But you've also got to be able to get to the green reasonably so those fittings are important also.  

Same here.  I've had one putter fitting and that was at Ping HQ in 2017.  My putting improved immediately and have no reason to even look at another putter.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Just now, Kenny B said:

Same here.  I've had one putter fitting and that was at Ping HQ in 2017.  My putting improved immediately and have no reason to even look at another putter.

I need to go and get my putter dialed in, hopefully on Quintic. Need to get the loft and lie angle right on my armlock putter. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

On 11/13/2021 at 3:42 PM, Riverboat said:

For high handicappers, assuming for the sake of discussion 14 drivers per round, 20-30 irons (not including wedges) and 36 or more putts, of course the stats will tend to show the putter can improve the most. Doesn't mean it's "the most important" fitting. Putting is, in general, the easiest place to improve with even a little practice, so a new putter that inspires a little practice is bound to have a big effect, even if it's no better fitted than the old one. 

I'd also add onto this by a arguing that because your putting motion involves such a shorter and more controlled kinetic chain than your iron/driver swing, you can work/fight through a poorly fit putter than a poorly fit iron or driver. Even with the Happy Gilmore slapstick or a mini golf putter, you can generally hit a putt in a forward direction. And with enough practice, you can figure out how far back and how far forward your motion will have to be to move the ball a certain amount in that direction. Would it be as easy as if you had a fitted putter? Absolutely not. But would it be doable? Yup.

In contrast, TXG and many other youtube channels has shown us just how much a poorly fit driver or iron can affect the results. Having the weight out to the toe instead of in the heel can significantly increase the numbers of hooks you have. Having the club in an open versus closed configuration can also have dramatic results. Having too spinny or too low launching of a driver can completely tank your ability to go for the green in 2 on a par 5. Just like with a putter, you can work/fight through it. But: 1) most of us aren't Matt and Ian with enough experience to know HOW to work/fight through it: 2) iron and driver swings have much longer motions and incorporate much more complex kinetic chains, so it's much harder tweaking everything in that chain to compensate; and 3) if your concentration slips for even one tee shot, the repercussions can be a 50 yard slice OB rather than a bad putt where you're still on the green but 10 yards past the flag. 

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.