TESTERS WANTED! ×

Irons Directly from Mizuno

BenR

Hi All

I'm due for new irons and am strongly considering Mizuno.  There are (2) identifiable but distinct approaches:  1. go to a premium fitter where they build the club in-house, or conversely go to another fitter where there is a good chance the set can be custom ordered as needed directly from Mizuno.  This is an attractive option to reduce costs especially considering Mizuno offers quite a few shafts /grips without upcharge.  With a premium fitter, you pay additional for each shaft / grip, etc.  Question is am I doing myself a diservice by ordering as needed directly from Mizuno with specs needed from the fitting?  I understand that their attention to detail is suburb and provide tight tolerances.  Thank you.

3 hours ago, BenR said:

Hi All

I'm due for new irons and am strongly considering Mizuno.  There are (2) identifiable but distinct approaches:  1. go to a premium fitter where they build the club in-house, or conversely go to another fitter where there is a good chance the set can be custom ordered as needed directly from Mizuno.  This is an attractive option to reduce costs especially considering Mizuno offers quite a few shafts /grips without upcharge.  With a premium fitter, you pay additional for each shaft / grip, etc.  Question is am I doing myself a diservice by ordering as needed directly from Mizuno with specs needed from the fitting?  I understand that their attention to detail is suburb and provide tight tolerances.  Thank you.

There is no single answer in a fitting.  I am assuming your option one is club champion.   There are many posts on here about club champion and they are mixed regarding  service, attention to detail, and tolerances.   Even going to club champion you could be fit to a stock offering from Mizuno or even request to be fit into a stock offering from Mizuno.   Additionally Mizuno offers up charge options that you could try.  what a place like CC offers is the ability to try configurations that are not available directly  from a manufacturer.   If you stay in the sock/up charge categories, You can then take the fitting information from CC and order from Mizuno or other retailer.   Club Champrion, TrueSpec, etc are chain fitting stores.  

You could get the same service from a local non chain fitter.  Harder to find sometimes, but due to size you might get better overall service.   they usually run your small local golf shop or could just do fittings.  Maybe they are also a golf instructor. 

You also can do Big box store fittings like at a PGASS which will be exclusively stock and up charge options offered from the manufacturer.  

the key isn’t where you go,  it the fitter themself.  As long as you can find a good fitter  any of the options I laid out are good options.   You as a consumer just need to do you homework, understand what you want, and communicate your wishes   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I agree with @cnosil.  I will say however, I would try to find a small local shop if possible.  In these times, they could use the business more so than say a Club Champion or big box retailer.  As for myself, I went to Club Champion for a fitting a while back, got my specs and had my local pro order me the club in the specs I needed.  Club Champion was paid for the fitting, and the local pro made out on his end as well.  Just my two cents.

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

41 minutes ago, ballplayer002003 said:

I agree with @cnosil.  I will say however, I would try to find a small local shop if possible.  In these times, they could use the business more so than say a Club Champion or big box retailer.  As for myself, I went to Club Champion for a fitting a while back, got my specs and had my local pro order me the club in the specs I needed.  Club Champion was paid for the fitting, and the local pro made out on his end as well.  Just my two cents.

This!

I would try and search your area for a Mizuno Account that has a fitting cart.  If you are set on Mizuno they will be able to fit you well with the 3D shaft analyzer and the selection of shafts and heads in the cart to try.    

FYI, we will be come a Mizuno fitting account in 2022, not sure when our cart will be in, probably January right around the time the Mizuno Pro line is released.   we are in the DC/Baltimore area.

I bet after hearing this ballplayer is making his plans to head down first thing this spring 🙂

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

One thing to consider is that hopefully the specs are more strictly built when buying clubs from somewhere like TrueSpec than what comes directly from the manufacturer.  I've had several sets directly from TM, Cally, etc that the lofts and lies weren't correct, they are probably within the tolerances that each of them builds to but for that kind of money I'd kind of like them to be on spec.  So if you are concerned, you can always buy directly from Mizuno and then take to a local shop and have the lies and lofts checked and adjusted as needed.  

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

PXG forged 54 & 58 wedges

PXG Operator H w/ BGT Stability shaft

If you are close to a Club Champion and willing to pay the price, I would say go to them for the fitting, get your specs and order from a local shop that carries Mizuno.  The local shop can check the specs when the clubs come in and adjust as necessary.  I've never been to a Club Champion (none nearby) but I would have a hard time paying the usual price for a set of clubs and then paying extra on top of that for non-stock shafts, grips, etc.  But that last statement probably belongs in another thread.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

2 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

This!

I would try and search your area for a Mizuno Account that has a fitting cart.  If you are set on Mizuno they will be able to fit you well with the 3D shaft analyzer and the selection of shafts and heads in the cart to try.    

FYI, we will be come a Mizuno fitting account in 2022, not sure when our cart will be in, probably January right around the time the Mizuno Pro line is released.   we are in the DC/Baltimore area.

I bet after hearing this ballplayer is making his plans to head down first thing this spring 🙂

I would love to!!!

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

9 minutes ago, ballplayer002003 said:

I would love to!!!

I'll definitely keep you updated on when it arrives!   Work in a round of golf while you're here!

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

31 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I'll definitely keep you updated on when it arrives!   Work in a round of golf while you're here!

Absolutely!  I am game whenever you are buddy!