TESTERS WANTED! ×

For you, what is the most difficult thing in golf ?

Hi everyone, 

I think the title of the topic has told you everything.

I wanted to start a topic and know, what is the most difficult thing in golf for you ? 

I hope that my post will be useful, that as many people as possible will participate, and that if possible, it will help people to find answers to their problems. 

Have a good day,
King Regards.

Finding time for meaningful practice in all areas of the game. 

DRIVER: Cobra F9 10.5  Tensei AV Blue 65g

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha- Mitsubishi Diamana  Redboard w/band

Irons- Mizuno JPX 919 Tours with S KBS Tour shafts

Hyrbid- TM 4h mid-rescue

Vokey- Vokey SM5 51 degrees,  SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

Mental aspect.  When I start thinking about too many swing thoughts during the round I mess up.  My best games are when my brain doesn't get involved and I just swing the club.  Also just dumb mistakes, like blading short chips, leaving the ball in the sand trap stuff like that.  

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

PXG forged 54 & 58 wedges

PXG Operator H w/ BGT Stability shaft

Endurance, both mental and physical. I can have 9 hole stretches of very good play, but tend to wear down as the round goes on. 

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

Imposter syndrome? Just believing in myself, knowing that I'm so close to that next level and can really hit a golf ball.

I carry a 3 hcp, feel like I'm pretty darn good. Thoughts I've caught myself having this year:

Should I really enter this tournament?

Why am I playing Titleist CBs?

Should I really be on the back tees?

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

31 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

I apologize to the op for my mini rant...

Personally I think looking at the game this way is a huge detriment to golfers. I think it would be much better to talk about the fun and what works. Golf in of itself is not difficult. It's a ball that doesn't move, everybody on here and almost everybody who has ever touched a club has been able to accomplish moving the ball in a forward direction. That's it that's the game. It is our expectations that make the game hard. It is our ego that gets in the way. It is the judgement we place on ourselves and the perception that we think other golfers are judging us that makes it difficult. Yes improvement of the game and challenging ourselves to get out of our comfort zones is difficult however the game in of itself is not difficult. 

I think you hit on some very strong points here.  I have always been a very competitive person for better or worse and I have been an upper tier athlete in my younger days.  I have very high expectations when it comes to sports.  This is the one sport that has brought me(along with most of us) to my knees.  I would say I am a decent golfer, not great but I can hold my own.  This is the last sport I picked up.  I've said it a hundred times, I don't consider myself a golfer.  I think how I don't consider myself a golfer is one of the reasons why I, unintentionally, hold myself back from being a better golfer than what I am.  My higher expectations adds a level of stress that I am always playing under.  Why do this to myself...I will never be a tour player.  I think that if I lowered my own expectations and didn't "care" as much as I do, then I would play better.  I am like most of us on here...the less I think about my swing, the better I play.  I just need to do this more.  

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

12 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

Personally I think looking at the game this way is a huge detriment to golfers. I think it would be much better to talk about the fun and what works. Golf in of itself is not difficult. It's a ball that doesn't move, everybody on here and almost everybody who has ever touched a club has been able to accomplish moving the ball in a forward direction. That's it that's the game. It is our expectations that make the game hard. It is our ego that gets in the way. It is the judgement we place on ourselves and the perception that we think other golfers are judging us that makes it difficult. Yes improvement of the game and challenging ourselves to get out of our comfort zones is difficult however the game in of itself is not difficult. 

For the sake of conversation, let's talk about this. And apologies for my counter-rant 😉

Acknowledging the most difficult aspect of the game for yourself by no means prevents a golfer from simultaneously talking about the fun and what works. It's far from a one or the other, black and white system. In fact, talking about both can be significantly beneficial. Case in point, the easiest part of the game for me is putting and adapting to different greens. The reason for that is that I have a fairly straightforward, simple and repeatable approach to putting. Looking at that strength has helped me work on trying to find ways to overcome my endurance deficiencies, i.e., finding how I can create as many simple and repeatable approaches: clubbing up as the round goes on, forcing myself to talk through every shot, even the simple ones, etc. 

Overly simplifying the game to the point where you're saying it is as simple as moving the ball in a forward direction and that the source of failure is just ego or expectations is far more detrimental than acknowledging difficulties. In creating that black and white summary that "it's not your game, it's your ego and expectations" without acknowledging the unique WHY for each individual golfer's struggles, you're potentially blocking off so many ways for golfers to improve and the chance for them to find what works best for them. The reason I struggle with endurance is because I have bad ankles and knees. So just saying I need to reduce my ego or lower my expectations doesn't do anything for the fact that I deal with more pain as a round goes on, making it harder to concentrate or keep my swing consistent.  Indeed, the argument could be made that the assertion that golf is not difficult fosters a focus on ego and expectation ("if the game is so easy, why did I fat that chip? If the game is so easy, how come I couldn't hit the ball in a forward direction on that shot?").

I'd say if your premise was tweaked to be "acknowledging and working on reducing ego and expectations can help people make significant improvement in their game," I'd be 100% on board. That's been a significant source of my game becoming more consistent. Similarly, if your premise was tweaked to be "golf is a lot easier than we think and tend to make it," I'd be 100% on board. And if your premise was tweaked to be "ONLY focusing on the difficulties in your game and wallowing in them is detrimental to golfers," I'd be 100% on board. But as they stand, I'd say your assertions that "the game in and of itself is not difficult" and its just our expectations and ego getting in the way is far more detrimental than people acknowledging what they find to be the most difficult part of their game.

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

I the summary is that the mental aspect is the toughest:  we set too high of expectations, expect to pull of the miracle shot, lose focus during the round, abandon swing changes because they aren’t working that day, constantly tweak our swing based on the last result, we tell ourselves not to do something and immediately do it. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 hours ago, THEZIPR23 said:

Got to disagree with, "golf in of itself is not difficult"   It's a hard game, guess if my skill level was more on par with yours I might have a different perspective.  However I do agree with expectations, I know some years back I got way too serious about having that crazy low index and ended up not having any fun and really disliking golf.  I ended up not playing for 3 or 4 years and now have a different outlook and am enjoying it again.  

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

30 minutes ago, Larryd3 said:

guess if my skill level was more on par with yours I might have a different perspective.  

Thank you for proving my point. Steph Curry shoots the basketball way better than I do. I don't think basketball is hard because of this. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

25 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

Thank you for proving my point. Steph Curry shoots the basketball way better than I do. I don't think basketball is hard because of this. 

Guess it all depends on what your definition of golfing is.  If it's just knocking the ball forward (most of the time) then it's fairly easy. But that's not really golf, just like banging balls at TopGolf isn't golfing.  For me golf is trying to move the ball forward, keep it in play and break 80 or 90.  That's not so easy for most people.  

TM Sim2 Max  10.5

Ping G410 5 wood

Ping G410 7 & 9 woods 

PXG Gen 5 0311P  5-gap

8 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

I think we're off point here. The OP 's thread is "for you - what is the most difficult thing in golf'. Low handicappers will certainly have a different perspective than those of us in the higher end and working diligently to get better. I love the game, have fun at it and am diligently working on the things I need to for better results. The latter doesn't minimize the former. 

I get that from my perspective it is different because of my handicap. I will remove myself from my soapbox.

To the OP, golf is difficult because of the head attached to my shoulders. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

3 hours ago, cnosil said:

I the summary is that the mental aspect is the toughest:  we set too high of expectations, expect to pull of the miracle shot, lose focus during the round, abandon swing changes because they aren’t working that day, constantly tweak our swing based on the last result, we tell ourselves not to do something and immediately do it. 

Yes, I agree with you, the mental aspect is very hard. Unfortunately, it is one of the most important points in golf. 

Edited by Nibblick Golf

Being on the low end of handicaps I find the hardest thing for me to adapt to is playing a course with sand traps that have a different consistency between them. One can be hard packed, another wet sand, then another fluffy sand. I am a pretty decent bunker player but judging the amount of sand to take to get the ball close to the hole is challenging when the bunkers are different from one another. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Following golfers that either don't know or don't have any golf etiquette. Additionally, golfers that don't play ready golf and stand around or wait in the cart until someone else has played, then ride 10 ft., get out and hit their shot.

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

9 hours ago, Nibblick Golf said:

Hi everyone, 

I think the title of the topic has told you everything.

I wanted to start a topic and know, what is the most difficult thing in golf for you ? 

I hope that my post will be useful, that as many people as possible will participate, and that if possible, it will help people to find answers to their problems. 

Have a good day,
King Regards.

Great call! Someday everything! But for me it's the long game , not off the tee, fairways... either a long iron or fairway, including Hybrids?

From 7 iron to Wedge not bad, driving OK, short game tidy  putting average. But anyone from 170 yards upwards codes challenge my confidence.

At 64 years I have lost some speed which doesn't help, even so it's always a challenge!

"They called it golf because all of the other four letter words were used" Raymond Floyd

For me, it's personal awareness.  As in, I have no clue why anything happens for me on the course and I don't know what adjustments I can make.  I mis-hit...was it my club face or my stance or my swing or the wind or fate??  Hopefully this is something I can address next season.

As far as an external difficulty, like Tom Petty said, it's the waiting that's the hardest part.  Drives me nuts and off my game when I have to wait on others.  I know it's part of the game but it doesn't mean I can't be annoyed by it.  Internally, anyway.

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet Max 3 wood and 7 wood

Cobra Aerojet 4/5/6 hybrids

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

Cobra Snakebite 52° and 58° wedges

Cobra King Stingray 20 putter

For me, the most difficult thing is developing a repeating swing.  I've been trying for 30 years and still can't do it.  It seems I am unable to feel slight differences in my swing and when I start going bad it seems I have to start all over again.  Today, I went to the range and hit the ball pretty well.  I made notes of what I was doing but experience tells me that I can try to do all the same things next time and hit the ball terribly.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

100% agree, although I feel I am aware of what I am doing wrong on bad days I stop myself doing it! But the Pro I see regularly said to control tempo & rhythm... slow down and reduce the length of backswing this helps me restore the quality of strike, although does Rob you of a bit of distance.

I then gradually speed up once normal service is resumed! 

"They called it golf because all of the other four letter words were used" Raymond Floyd

3 hours ago, Hook DeLoft said:

For me, the most difficult thing is developing a repeating swing.  I've been trying for 30 years and still can't do it.  It seems I am unable to feel slight differences in my swing and when I start going bad it seems I have to start all over again.  Today, I went to the range and hit the ball pretty well.  I made notes of what I was doing but experience tells me that I can try to do all the same things next time and hit the ball terribly.

I resemble that...  😟

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Not letting one bad swing dictate the rest of my round.  I don't mean that I get upset, but many times I'll be playing a great round and then just have a bad swing on the 13/14 hole and hit a drive in a hazard.  Sometimes I continue thinking on this for too long and it affects the next few holes as I'm trying to guide the ball because of that one bad swing.  This also ties into making on course adjustments.  I know enough about my swing and club path to correct a hook or slice on the range in one swing.  However, because there are no circumstances on the range it doesn't matter if I overdo the next one.  On the course you aren't hitting driver after driver.  I've gotten better at managing my rounds and will usually take less club more often rather than continuing to hit driver. Or if I'm having an off day putting, I'm ok with lagging more often and just trying my best to get distance right in an effort to two putt. 

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X (17.25*)

3 Hybrid :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Hzrdus RDX Black 6.5 (20.5*)

4 Iron -  :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW:  :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

Keeping calm/controlling my thoughts. I am “in my head” the whole round, especially if I start-off hot. I have the worst issue of playing “golf swing”, mainly because I’ve been through so many coaches, all of whom taught something different. The simplest little things can get me even when I’m aligning myself on the tee box, in the middle of my backswing, etc, which is frustrating because I’ve shot more scores in the 70s this year than I ever have. Ugh. So frustrating. I grew-up playing basketball, and played in college. I took thousands-and-thousands of shots and I could TELL what was off on a miss. I’ve never had that feeling in golf to KNOW how my swing should feel, and it’s the main contributor to my biggest obstacle, my brain!!!!!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX