For you, what is the most difficult thing in golf ?

9 hours ago, Nibblick Golf said:

Hi everyone, 

I think the title of the topic has told you everything.

I wanted to start a topic and know, what is the most difficult thing in golf for you ? 

I hope that my post will be useful, that as many people as possible will participate, and that if possible, it will help people to find answers to their problems. 

Have a good day,
King Regards.

Great call! Someday everything! But for me it's the long game , not off the tee, fairways... either a long iron or fairway, including Hybrids?

From 7 iron to Wedge not bad, driving OK, short game tidy  putting average. But anyone from 170 yards upwards codes challenge my confidence.

At 64 years I have lost some speed which doesn't help, even so it's always a challenge!

• Like 2

"They called it golf because all of the other four letter words were used" Raymond Floyd

For me, it's personal awareness.  As in, I have no clue why anything happens for me on the course and I don't know what adjustments I can make.  I mis-hit...was it my club face or my stance or my swing or the wind or fate??  Hopefully this is something I can address next season.

As far as an external difficulty, like Tom Petty said, it's the waiting that's the hardest part.  Drives me nuts and off my game when I have to wait on others.  I know it's part of the game but it doesn't mean I can't be annoyed by it.  Internally, anyway.

• Like 4

Titleist 385k driver

Dunlop 3 and 5 wood

Nickent 3DX 3 hybrid

Cobra AMP 5-PW

Titleist Vokey SM7 50° 54°  and Cleveland 588 56° wedges

PIng Anser putter

For me, the most difficult thing is developing a repeating swing.  I've been trying for 30 years and still can't do it.  It seems I am unable to feel slight differences in my swing and when I start going bad it seems I have to start all over again.  Today, I went to the range and hit the ball pretty well.  I made notes of what I was doing but experience tells me that I can try to do all the same things next time and hit the ball terribly.

• Like 4

14 of the following:

Ping G400 Max

Cobra King F9 Speedback 3 wood

Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Taylormade M4 5 hybrid

Callaway Mavrik Max 6-GW

PXG 0211 5-GW

PXG 0211 sand wedge bent to 53 degrees

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

100% agree, although I feel I am aware of what I am doing wrong on bad days I stop myself doing it! But the Pro I see regularly said to control tempo & rhythm... slow down and reduce the length of backswing this helps me restore the quality of strike, although does Rob you of a bit of distance.

I then gradually speed up once normal service is resumed! 

• Like 2

"They called it golf because all of the other four letter words were used" Raymond Floyd

3 hours ago, Hook DeLoft said:

For me, the most difficult thing is developing a repeating swing.  I've been trying for 30 years and still can't do it.  It seems I am unable to feel slight differences in my swing and when I start going bad it seems I have to start all over again.  Today, I went to the range and hit the ball pretty well.  I made notes of what I was doing but experience tells me that I can try to do all the same things next time and hit the ball terribly.

I resemble that...  😟

• Like 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Not letting one bad swing dictate the rest of my round.  I don't mean that I get upset, but many times I'll be playing a great round and then just have a bad swing on the 13/14 hole and hit a drive in a hazard.  Sometimes I continue thinking on this for too long and it affects the next few holes as I'm trying to guide the ball because of that one bad swing.  This also ties into making on course adjustments.  I know enough about my swing and club path to correct a hook or slice on the range in one swing.  However, because there are no circumstances on the range it doesn't matter if I overdo the next one.  On the course you aren't hitting driver after driver.  I've gotten better at managing my rounds and will usually take less club more often rather than continuing to hit driver. Or if I'm having an off day putting, I'm ok with lagging more often and just trying my best to get distance right in an effort to two putt. 

• Like 4

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

2 Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSI3 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X

4 Iron - Srixon ZX 23* Recoil F5                                                     Testing: :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron Graphite Design Tour AD IZ X Hybrid Shaft

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: MP 18 SC Dynamic Gold AMT X                   Testing: :titelist-small: T100-S 5 - GW KBS Tour 130 X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngJaws 5 Wedge 58* DG Tour Issue Stiff

Putter:   :scotty-small: Phantom 5.5 34"      Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"      Taylormade Tour Black Spider 34"

Patience. I cannot abide slow play. There are days I overcome it, but it is very difficult. Two days ago the temperature was in the mid 60s, no wind, 4 hour round, shot 83 with only 1 birdie. Yesterday was 45*, 15mph wind, walked the course in a little over 2 hours, shot 78 with 3 birdies.

If I owned a course, if you wanted a time before 9am you would have to play in under 3 hours, before noon under 3.5, any time after that under 4. You would have to agree beforehand that if you were the first group out of position and over the agreed upon pace, you would be asked to leave with no refund. Ah, well, I can dream, can't I?

• Like 5

😧 Wilson Triton

3w: PXG 341

5W: Cleveland launcher 

3H: Wilson Deep Red

5-GW: PXG 0211

SW LW: Mizuno MP T5

P: Scott Cameron Newport

Keeping calm/controlling my thoughts. I am “in my head” the whole round, especially if I start-off hot. I have the worst issue of playing “golf swing”, mainly because I’ve been through so many coaches, all of whom taught something different. The simplest little things can get me even when I’m aligning myself on the tee box, in the middle of my backswing, etc, which is frustrating because I’ve shot more scores in the 70s this year than I ever have. Ugh. So frustrating. I grew-up playing basketball, and played in college. I took thousands-and-thousands of shots and I could TELL what was off on a miss. I’ve never had that feeling in golf to KNOW how my swing should feel, and it’s the main contributor to my biggest obstacle, my brain!!!!!

• Like 4

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 Speedback/:callaway-small:Epic Max LS, Xphlexxx Busa 2 Liquid, XX stiff, 45”

Fwy:  :callaway-small: Epic Speed 4w, MMT 80X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 105X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4-10, :Nippon: Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

All but putter have Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Calibrate midsize built to oversize +1

For me It's getting to the course to actually play, getting my wife out to play which in turn I get to play. The rest is what it is. A great day not working, being outside and hanging with my friends. I may never get to a single digit handicap, but I am going to have a lot of fun regardless. Life is too short, enjoy it before you can't. 

• Like 3

Epic GBB driver 10.5 turned down to 9.5 Hzruds 6.5 smoke shaft. 

Titleist U15 1 iron 

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

Callaway 56 and 58 wedge. 

OG White Hot #1 putter

Two things that are difficult for me have nothing to do with swinging the club.

The first is making time to get to the course.  Current work schedule and elder care situation has me trying to sneak in maybe 9 holes a week if I'm lucky.

The second is staying interested after 3 hours.  If I'm playing by myself or with SWMBO it is no problem getting in 18 in that time frame if the course isn't packed.  We can usually jump around to different holes if a group or two are spread out holding us up.   But playing in a tourney or scramble that usually means I am ready to check out after 12 or 13 holes and my score suffers from there on.

• Like 3

Modern Bag: :Sub70:  849 Pro 9*, Hazrdous Smoke S Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 15*, & 23* Hybrids; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  :cleveland-small: Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 ;  :ping-small: Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: H2NO 

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

In my personal opinion. The most important thing in sports. Just like in my favorite golf. So it's mental health. Or as we used to say psychologically. I'm the kind of person who's puttering around in it. I'm almost constantly taking some kind of online life coaching certification. And I want to say that it all helps me. Because before I felt very uncomfortable. Everything was pressing on me when it didn't work out. I was very nervous. 

Edited by Jabrail Henderson
  • Like 2

Hardest thing for me, at the moment, is consistency. I can play some great golf, some terrible. Priority over the winter is to work on being more consistent, repeatable - I know I can do it but I can make a couple of silly shot choices then dwell on them and I'm done for the round. 

Keep telling myself I'm only 6 months in to playing regularly..

• Like 3

:cobra-small: RADSpeed 9° Matrix Black Tie X-Flex 🐺 🆕

:cobra-small: F9 3/4 Wood Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 🆕

:titelist-small: U510 16° 1-iron 🆕

:mizuno-small: MP54 4-PW Dynamic Gold S300 🆕

:cleveland-small: CG12 52° Gap

:cleveland-small: CG15 56° Sand

:cleveland-small: CG15 60° Lob

DStar #1 Putter

:titelist-small: AVX Balls

"Hey mister, your clubs are the wrong way round"..

The most difficult thing for me is finding time in my schedule to play more.

• Like 4

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10
Whatever ball I have 3 dozen of that my kids got me as a gift

Twitter: @russtopherb

For me its in general consistency.  Some days its my short game, some days its my driving (not in the fairway), some days its approach shots, etc.  It some times changes between front and back nine too.  My swing is better and more repeatable, but I believe my inconsistency is likely mental. 

Like others have said, I get fixated on one bad swing and it remains in my head for a hole or two.  Some people have suggested I need to visualize a better shot before hitting it; instead of thinking don't miss it left or right, etc.  Something to work on in 2022.

• Like 1

:titelist-small:  TSi 3   9.0  AV Raw White 65 Stiff

:titelist-small:  TSi3  15.0 AV Raw White 75 Stiff

:titelist-small: TS3 21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff 

:titelist-small:  4 iron 716 AP2 - DG 300 AMT Reg

Haywood  5-PW iron Signature - DG S300 Stiff

:taylormade-small:  52 - 09 Tour Preferred EF  - KBS Tour Wedge 

Haywood   56 - 12 KBS Tour Wedge

:taylormade-small:  60 - 10 Tour Preferred - KBS Tour Wedge 

:titelist-small:  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2

:srixon-small: Z-Star 

image.png.1cf0013c54bf0f68066ba2034c7799d0.png 

:Arccos: Official MGS Tester 2021

Welcome to the forum @Nibblick Golf.  My answer might be different tomorrow, next week, next month, or next year... but currently I would pick inconsistent putting as my nemesis.  Well, okay, to be brutally honest it's long been a challenge but definitely improved since moving to LHL and wielding the new ER5v.

• Like 1

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)