TESTERS WANTED! ×

Anyone playing a 6 degree gap between pitching wedge and gap wedge?

Hook DeLoft

On 11/17/2021 at 11:22 AM, Hook DeLoft said:

I’ve noticed that some strong lofted sets come with a 6 degree gap between wedges. Obviously, if this caused problems, you could adjust the lofts. But I was wondering if folks who have a set up like this find the gap to be too large. I have seen some write that the designers know what they’re doing and the gapping should be just fine, but the cynic in me suspects the big gap is a compromise. 

Bought new wedges 2 years ago, with a 46* PW from set, added a 52*( bent from 50*), then a 58*. Could never get my "imagination" to make up the shot I needed. Bought a 54*, had the "52" bent back to 50*(twice over 9 months), and my short game is much better. Don't have to worry if I over compensating for the gap, and trying to get the shot I wanted. The bending twice is because the metal will creep back to where is was bent. So, 46*, 50*, 54*, 58*-pitch thru lob wedges...

Driver-Ping g410 SFT, 3W-Callaway Diablo Octane, Hybrids-Snake Eyes Viper 18*+ 21*, Irons-GigaGolf Reva Hybrid Irons 24*- 46*, Wedges-Cleveland CBX2's 50*54*58*, Putter-Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c

I don't, but I have played with a 7 degree gap and done fine with it.  There has to be something weird going on for me to hit anything longer than 49 full, anyway.  

Right now I go 49,54,59

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I have a 6* gap between my 3 wedges, 44 (PW), 50 (GW) & 56 (SW). Has worked well for me. I  dont really use a full swing for to 56. Its more of a finesse club for me. I don't think I'm good enough to need to use 4 wedges with a 4* gap setup. 

Epic Max Driver

Epic Max 3 wood

Epic SuperHybrid 3

Srixon ZX5 4-PW

Cleveland CBX 50 & 56 degree

Odyssey Tri-hot 5k Double wide

I play 6° between wedges. 46° Srixon 785 pw, 52° Bridgestone, 58° Bridgestone. Used to have 8° when I had the 54°/60° setup. But went with the 52°/58° setup about 10yrs ago & have been really comfortable since. 

Cally Epic Flash 3 💎 / HZRDUS 1100- 6.5/tipped 1.5”

TM M3 3wd HL/ Rogue 80x

Srixon 785/ DGTI x100s

Bridgestone Tour B/ 52°&58°- DGTI s400

Scotty TEI3 Long Neck

I Play Speed Golf and carry just five clubs. So I have a 21° hybrid  35° eight iron and a 56° wedge. Crazy, but last year I averaged just two shots better with 14 clubs and walking than I did with five clubs and running. So the moral of the story is that the gap can be managed if you learn to hit the shots. 

My Pw is 45 degrees then 50, 56,60.  My first 50 was approach club that was too good, would almost do PW distances, so replaced with true wedge.  Between 3/4 and full swing, hinge and straight can make most distances from  140 yds in work.  The first approach was painful experience.  

Driver - 2023 Callaway Paradym 9.0, 3 Wood -2022 Rogue ST Max, 3 Hybrid Mavrik, 2017 X-forged 4-PW, Wedges Callaway 50-56-60, Putter Odyssey Toulon Chicago     

7 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The JB is effectively 11 now due to the reduction in loft. There a 1:1 ratio for bounce change to loft change. 

Also forgot to mention earlier just changing from 56/60 setup to a 54/58 won’t automatically fix thing of the bounce is still wrong. I agree on that. It was geared to changing the gaps. 

Since you are good out of the sand with the 56 you can either learn how to hit it better from the fairway or learn to play different shot with your gap wedge. I currently rely on the gap wedge. But sometimes when I'm 70 0r 80 yards out with a tight pin position I want more height to stop quick. That's when I pull the 56 with so so results.  Or use the JB wedge out of the fairway and find a 58 or 60* that works in the bunker. What is the bounce on the 60*. 10 degrees. But truthfully I never tried the 60 out of the sand. 

But before we get into that type of discussion and decision. Explain your sand game technique including how you setup, how you lay the club and how you swing. Then do the same for how your fairway shots? Also what is the grass and ground like on the fairway? Sand play, set up is slightly open, club face is slightly open. Aiming slightly left of the pin. Taking a dollar size divot with a thump sound at the bottom of the swing arc.  

Fairways are square setup. Sweeping swing minimal divot. This could be part of the problem because if I lay the 56 degree down on a hard surface with no shaft lean the leading edge is raised off the floor by over a 1/4 inch. Comparing the Sub 70 JB wedge this distance in minimal due to the grind. Minimal being less than 1/2 the distance of the CBX.

I play at a private club with very good conditions and the fairway turf is cut pretty tight. The soil base does have a lot of clay so it does get firm.

After thinking about this through your questions. I would assume the first thing to try would be to see how well the 60 degree works out of the sand. Then have the Sub 70 in play. It seems like I might not be getting the 56 down into the turf enough to get good interaction with the club face and the ball. The other option is to put a slight forward press of the 56. But this then changes the loft defeating my desire to get the ball up high and stop quick.

Or as a true golfer I am thinking to much!

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

I have no idea what degree my gap wedge is, I only know to use it when I need to land my golf ball around 95 yards. I use my 52 for 80+ yards, 56 and 60 for flop shots and out of the bunker. Occasionally, I'll add my Edel 64 just to have fun with!

Divot Diva

My Wedges are, PW with 47° loft, a 54° and a 60°. I don't have any issues with loft between the wedges as I prefer my 60° from anything from 80m or closer. The 54° I play from 80m to 110m, and the PW from 110m to 125m. Greenside or from a fluffy lie I will go with anything from a 60° to a 9 Iron. 

default_titelist-small.jpg.ce9f42d5694f285c498235c26f81ca24.jpg TS3 8.5°

default_taylormade-small.jpg.38fe6f95dda21245f3fac3407e54d0b3.jpg RBZ Stage 2 Tour 14.5°

default_srixon-small.jpg.a483cde88014a8db05be8135e23aff6e.jpg ZX Utility 3 iron

default_srixon-small.jpg.a483cde88014a8db05be8135e23aff6e.jpg ZX7 4 Iron - PW

default_cleveland-small.jpg.903af6280bdadd06ef9c8f0c4dfe4218.jpg 54° and 60° Wedges

default_scotty-cameron-1.gif.aa4eac2325a98c0e94d74d30721a263a.gif Newport 2 Gunmetal

default_titelist-small.jpg.ce9f42d5694f285c498235c26f81ca24.jpg Pro V1

Garmin Fenix 6 X Pro with Garmin Golf to track stats and use for on course range finding

4 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

After thinking about this through your questions. I would assume the first thing to try would be to see how well the 60 degree works out of the sand. Then have the Sub 70 in play. It seems like I might not be getting the 56 down into the turf enough to get good interaction with the club face and the ball. The other option is to put a slight forward press of the 56. But this then changes the loft defeating my desire to get the ball up high and stop quick.

Dont over think it there old buddy you do just fine the way you play now

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

4 hours ago, Betty Rene said:

I have no idea what degree my gap wedge is, I only know to use it when I need to land my golf ball around 95 yards. I use my 52 for 80+ yards, 56 and 60 for flop shots and out of the bunker. Occasionally, I'll add my Edel 64 just to have fun with!

In my vintage play I have started carrying a Ping Zing 2 BECU at 62* that a friend of mine gave me. It is not really practical for me if I am playing my normal game. But on my vintage golf it is all kicks and giggles anyhow and do not care about the score. That thing is a blast for a high flop 40 yard shot especially with a Balata ball. I also have a cheap Dunlop 64* I mess around the yard here with to stay limber and again for kicks and giggles. Golf for me now is all about fun and trust me these days I have more fun than ever

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I have 5° between the PW (47°) and my gap wedge (52°) and then 6° between said gap wedge and my sand/lob wedge at 58°...  Gaping isn't much of a problem for that, I'd say as we're talking wedges, so very lofted, relatively high bounce clubs with short-ish shafts, that are made for "funking them". So I play full PW, full 52° sometimes but then again most shots with these 3 wedges are "partial", cutty (I usually play a strong draw), open faced.

Aim small... pray to miss small

My bag: Ping hoofer lite. My driver: Nike Vapor Pro. 4w: Inesis 500. Hybrid: Nike Vapor Flex. Irons (4-PW): Takomo 301 combo on KBS tour X. Wedges: Vokey SM7 52° and 58°. Putter: Cleveland Classic HB1. Balls: Inesis Tour900 yellow.

8 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Yeah you need to look at how you are using the club in the sand vs in the fairway, also compare surface type. Hard pan sand vs softer type fairways or whatever they might be. Ball position, dynamic loft, aoa, ground before, at or after ball. Are you really a sweeper/shallow with wedges or do you have more of a steeper attack compared to irons.

While a forward press would reduce loft at address it doenst necessarily mean you will present that or less loft at impact. Our minds understand what we are trying to do and we make swings around those thoughts and what the mind/body recognize about where the club and clubface are in the swing 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

My short irons are 5* gaps ending at set matching 45* PW kept that going to a 50* GW and then 54* and 58*. Only “full swing” with PW and GW really but even then at best it’s 90%. I play my 50* in the 75-110yd range, 54 is exclusively for green side bunkers, and 58* for 75yds and in. So I’m really playing an 8* gap between GW and LW since I don’t pull my 54 outside of a trap.5674C5EB-B0B5-4598-903F-1D08CA50FA28.jpeg.99916f16ab97f2532df966a318440b23.jpeg

Bag: Sub 70 Cart Series bag

Driver: Ping G425 LST 9 deg (set to 7.5 deg/"big minus") Mitsubishi C6 Blue Stiff 55g Grip JumboMax Ultralite (=std grip Jumbo size)

3W: Ping G410 14.5 deg (Set to 13.5 deg) Mitsubishi C6 Blue Stiff 65g Grip JumboMax (=std grip Jumbo size)

Hybrid: 19 deg (Set to 18) deg Ping G410 hybrid Mitsubishi C6 Black Stiff 80g Grip JumboMax Ultralite (=std grip Jumbo size)

Irons: 5-GW Irons Cobra Forged Tec X KBS Tour Lite Regular -0.25" Grip JumboMax (=std grip Jumbo size)

Wedges: 50-07 S-grind, 54-08 D-grind and 58-12 deg D-grind Mizuno T22 Denim Copper Grip Golf Pride Z-Grip

Putter:  Cobra King 3D Printed Agera Armlock Putter 41"

Game Ball: Maxfli TourX CG 

The real conversation is not the spacing between wedges, it is how many wedges you want to carry.  

What is important on how far you hit full swing wedges them, not specifically the degrees of gapping.  Most people aren't playing matching upper wedges to their PW (maybe GW).  (Ping irons and Titleist Wedges sound familiar?) so it could be a different swing weight, shaft length etc. which can affect distance.  But it is a good starting point.  Like a on a scale loosing weight, good number doesn't tell the whole story.  6 ft 220 (8% body fat) is very different from 6ft 220 (20% body fat).  One I am an NFL corner, the other I am a Dad!

You need to see if you have gaps in your YARDAGES on the full swings for your wedges (the scoring clubs). 

When you are hitting into a green with a wedge do you often find yourself saying you need to "lay off" or "lean on" etc?  Maybe your gaps are too big.  Go out to a green when you are not going to be bothered and hit 10-20 balls from each wedge and get an average distance.  Put those on a chart and see what the data says.  

We call them wedges but the current PW is really a 9I from 10 years ago at 44 degrees.  So I carry 5 Wedges (60, 56, 52, 48, and 44) but I don't carry a 4 iron because of the limit.  But I may only hit 1 4I a round.  But I like all the options around the green.  Most people can't hit a 4I inside a 20 yard circle, but we are all trying to hit our wedges inside that circle and trying to do it very consistently.

I would say let the data do the talking first.  Then you might have to bend a few lofts or get a different club etc. Degrees are just the beginning of the conversation.

Cheers

Tigger

PW to GW is 6 deg. For full swings I just choke down on the PW for yardages between the GW and the PW. 4 deg difference between the GW and SW and from the SW to LW so no problems there. 

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

I go 9iron-38 GW48 to LW57 so 9* gap, I'll go down the shaft of the 9iron or GW if I need to. I only carry 7 clubs because I like to feel the irons distance to the pin, I'm finding that that works out quite good for me. I'm about to try a older Taylormade 360 Ti driver with a 4-5 wood length steel shaft, I've been practicing hitting it off the deck because I can run it onto the green...

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

My wedges go 44-48-54-58.  So I have the 6* gap on the 48-54 wedges. I don't have many situations that arise where I'm uncomfortable choosing one or the other. I'm an old codger and my wedges don't go all that far but a full shot is...44=115; 48=100; 54=83 and 58=68.

:titleist-small: TSR4 10* Graphite Design UB-5R

:titleist-small: TSR2 15* Tensei Blue 75R

:titleist-small: TSR2 18* Tensei Blue 75R

:srixon-small: ZX Utility iron 20* Recoil 95g F3

:mizuno-small: Mizuno Pro 225 5-PW Recoil 95g F3

:vokey-small: SM9 48-54-58

:scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 34.5"

Shot my age for the 1st time on 7/9/2022 with a 69

With my current setup I have 6º between all wedges.

PW: 48º
SW: 54º
LW: 60º

And it wasn't that long ago I had 5 SCOR wedges.  🤣

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Look at the witb for Cam Smith at The Open Champ.  Note variety of grinds.  Ya make your variety of shots with less-than-full swing clubs.  Unless you are talking about trying to make full swing shots as close as about 60 or 50 yards, the loft gaps aren't the only factor.

Driver: PXG 0211, A flex Evnflo Riptide (2021). And an old Callaway 454 TI (2004) on regular flex.

3 W: Callaway Steelhead Xr A flex Tensei CK 55 gram. The rest are Regular flex.

5 W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hybrid iron, GFF, even tho it is a hollow body iron.

6,7,8,9,wedge: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex shafts.

Gap wedges: 52 x 9 Mizuno forged S5, wedge shaft; 60 x 6 Mizuno forged T7, wedge shaft.

Sand: Old original Hogan Sure Out on Apex original shaft, probably 56 / 12.

Chipper:  (yep I carry a chipper) old Don Martin "Up n In" bronze? copper? 🙂

Putter: Just switched Jan 2024 to a Odyssey Stroke lab "R" Ball with the 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

I literally bounce between two gappings.  Have TM SLDR irons so PW is 46deg.  Use Cleveland CBX / CBX2 wedges - 4deg gap setup: PW (TM) 46deg, GW (50), SW (54), LW (58) - all CBX or 6deg gap: PW (TM) 46 deg, GW (52), SW/LW (58).  The 52 is a CBX2.  In terms of shot distances - the 52 seems to be more versatile.  When I really want to mess with my head I’ll drag the old Eye2 wedges out, another day another conversation.

WITB? Ping G400 SFT w/Aldila Mamba shaft R flex; Ping G410 3w; Ping G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26); TaylorMade SLDR 5i (interchanges w/5h)-PW -stock graphite shafts Rflex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -Rflex and Odyssey AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

No! I have 4° gap between my wedges, PW 46° - 130 yards, GW 50° - 115 yards, SW 54° - 100 yards and LW 58° - 85 yards. Around the green I use only 58° bounce 6° in the Summer time and for the Winter 54° bounce 14°.

Edited by Marius Grigore

Morris

On 7/23/2022 at 2:02 PM, Donn lost in San Diego said:

Look at the witb for Cam Smith at The Open Champ.  Note variety of grinds.  Ya make your variety of shots with less-than-full swing clubs.  Unless you are talking about trying to make full swing shots as close as about 60 or 50 yards, the loft gaps aren't the only factor.

Correct preach it!  Most people do not understand my reasoning on doing things. Wedges are scoring clubs or saving shot clubs. Most of the time I spec out a wedge for the sole grind and what different shots I can hit with it. Now I have lost some distance and right now I am carrying a 52 instead of a 56 and distance wise I do with it what I used to do with a 56. Also scaled back to a 58. PW wise I am at 48 and if I have further than 100 yards well shrug that is what a 9 iron is for. Right now I am in the experimental stages of wedge set up . If I decide to go with the current 52 58 set up I will tell the specs.

G

On 7/28/2022 at 5:17 PM, Willie T said:

I literally bounce between two gappings.  Have TM SLDR irons so PW is 46deg.  Use Cleveland CBX / CBX2 wedges - 4deg gap setup: PW (TM) 46deg, GW (50), SW (54), LW (58) - all CBX or 6deg gap: PW (TM) 46 deg, GW (52), SW/LW (58).  The 52 is a CBX2.  In terms of shot distances - the 52 seems to be more versatile.  When I really want to mess with my head I’ll drag the old Eye2 wedges out, another day another conversation.

Love the thought of the Eye2 wedges--- Yes I have several and a couple of Zings I am quite fond of too. When I play my vintage stuff I do sorta "cheat" I carry a BECU Zing 2 LW at 62*. Not that is is really practical for me at this stage but because of the kicks and giggles factor. With it square I can only hit it about 40 yards or so. Open it up and I can hit it straight up about 20 yards total. It is a blast to do that hitting a Srixon Divide ball. 

G

2 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Love the thought of the Eye2 wedges--- Yes I have several and a couple of Zings I am quite fond of too. When I play my vintage stuff I do sorta "cheat" I carry a BECU Zing 2 LW at 62*. Not that is is really practical for me at this stage but because of the kicks and giggles factor. With it square I can only hit it about 40 yards or so. Open it up and I can hit it straight up about 20 yards total. It is a blast to do that hitting a Srixon Divide ball. 

I have a Daiwa Protege SW that I can hit high, it belonged to Ian Baker Finch Aussie Pro. I had a mate Pro in Sydney who got the set of irons and gave them to me, I liked hitting over tree's because I couldn't hit under lol but was ok over...

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

On 7/30/2022 at 3:35 AM, BIG STU said:

The Eye 2’s line up like this - 50.5 GW, 53.5 SW (Eye 2+) and 57.5 LW.  They are fun to hit - shoot now I may have to put them back in the bag for golf Thurs.  

WITB? Ping G400 SFT w/Aldila Mamba shaft R flex; Ping G410 3w; Ping G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26); TaylorMade SLDR 5i (interchanges w/5h)-PW -stock graphite shafts Rflex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -Rflex and Odyssey AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls.