Anyone playing a 6 degree gap between pitching wedge and gap wedge?

Hook DeLoft

1 minute ago, Raymond Irvine said:

I had a gapping session with our Pro last spring. Found my PW was at 44deg and my SW was at 52 deg the same as my Gap wedge. What an eye opener that was.

Since then I've bought 2 new wedges. 48deg and 56deg and discarded the SW. That was probably the best decision I've ever made, related to my bag ever. My game has tightened up brilliantly.

Seems like you have found a good pro that understands about things and he has enlightened you

Driver ---- Honma G1_X Stock tuned Honma R shaft---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex 15*--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex 21*---- 9 wood TM V-Steel stock MAS Stiff shaft 24*---  Irons 4 thru 9 Mac Muirfield TT black label R-- PW Hogan Starburst 50* --- SW Cleveland 588 56*--- LW Cleveland 588 60*--- Putter Stock 1972 Ping Anser- Bag Old School Burton plain non advertisement

My wife plays zx4’s and has 6 degrees between the set P wedge (44) and her Cleveland Smart sole Gap wedge (50) and her SW(56)

0CDA9F85-FD71-4495-9BD9-CF9DB38DF4E5.png

On 1/13/2022 at 5:28 AM, DrRob1963 said:

Lofts??? You guys need to try a 64* Mega-Lobby Wedge! Simply amazing what you can do with that much loft!!!!

I have one a cheapo Dunlop I had in a box of heads and I shafted it up---- Mess with it some for kicks and giggles on the range etc. I have not found a practical purpose for me for my on course game. 

• Hmmm 1

Driver ---- Honma G1_X Stock tuned Honma R shaft---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex 15*--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex 21*---- 9 wood TM V-Steel stock MAS Stiff shaft 24*---  Irons 4 thru 9 Mac Muirfield TT black label R-- PW Hogan Starburst 50* --- SW Cleveland 588 56*--- LW Cleveland 588 60*--- Putter Stock 1972 Ping Anser- Bag Old School Burton plain non advertisement

On 1/14/2022 at 10:02 PM, BIG STU said:

I have one a cheapo Dunlop I had in a box of heads and I shafted it up---- Mess with it some for kicks and giggles on the range etc. I have not found a practical purpose for me for my on course game. 

I am often facing greenside shots from deep bunkers, or from thick, sticky rough coming up an embankment to a short-sided pin - so it's very useful there - plus it suits me for manufacturing shots in that 30-40-50 yard range. And I can get excellent stop +/- backspin on the ball at its full range of about 65 yards.

My floppy is a quality Mizuno MP-R12 64* wedge with 5* bounce, with a really nice balance and weight to it. I think getting a high quality mega-floppy wedge is important if you're going to put one in your competition bag.

I know its not for everyone, and a mishit can put a smile on your ball's face, but I really like it, and practice with it a fair bit - so for me, its a very useful "emergency!" specialty club.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DrRob1963 said:

I am often facing greenside shots from deep bunkers, or from thick, sticky rough coming up an embankment to a short-sided pin - so it's very useful there - plus it suits me for manufacturing shots in that 30-40-50 yard range. And I can get excellent stop +/- backspin on the ball at its full range of about 65 yards.

My floppy is a quality Mizuno MP-R12 64* wedge with 5* bounce, with a really nice balance and weight to it. I think getting a high quality mega-floppy wedge is important if you're going to put one in your competition bag.

I know its not for everyone, and a mishit can put a smile on your ball's face, but I really like it, and practice with it a fair bit - so for me, its a very useful "emergency!" specialty club.

That is cool I always say play whatever fits your game. For me I am more or less a old school player from back in the day when the highest lofted wedges we had were 56* or so. We learned to work them as needed as the shot dictated. The shot you used for an example I have several different options with several clubs I can use there. All in all it is how one can utilize equipment to suit their game

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

6 degrees seems to be suitable.

if you have 4 degree gaps in your irons, and the PW and GW are the same shaft length, very common,   then your distance gap needs to be adjusted by making the GW weaker. (or shorter)

Distance is affected by about 85% loft and 15% by length (according to Tom Wishon)  so do your own math.

Edited by theblake7
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, theblake7 said:

6 degrees seems to be suitable.

if you have 4 degree gaps in your irons, and the PW and GW are the same shaft length, very common,   then your distance gap needs to be adjusted by making the GW weaker. (or shorter)

Distance is affected by about 85% loft and 15% by length (according to Tom Wishon)  so do your own math.

Yep I go a lot by what Tom Wishon says--- He used to be a regular poster on WRX and was gracious enough to answer questions until some a**hats started debating him and running him down. Have met him in person before. Anything he says I pay attention to. On the distance versus loft IMHO it all has to do with a lot of individual things for a person like SS and AOA etc. Everyone is different and that is why I am a big proponent of "tuning" clubs to ones individual game that includes shafts lofts and lies too. My clubs and sets ups might not work for you or anyone else and yours may not work for me. Hey the world marches every day to the beat of many different drums

• Like 1