Anyone playing a 6 degree gap between pitching wedge and gap wedge?

Hook DeLoft

I do not play with a 6 degree gap between wedges. Pitching wedge to 48 degree wedge is a 5 degree gap but then go 52 degree to 56 degree. Six degrees is a lot to me between wedges. 

Golfnut

My wedges are 48PW, 52GW and 56SW. They're probably weaker on the first two than is current, but these are Nicklaus irons and the wedges came with the set.

Cobra Woods

Nicklaus & Nike Hybrids

Nicklaus Irons

Never Compromise Putter

I have a 7* gap between PW and GW. The PW is 45*, a JPX 900 forged, and the 52 is an SM8 Vokey AMT White stiff shaft (1st ever Vokey). I also have 56* Cleveland RTX Zipcore, 60* and 64* in an RTX 4. The 64* gets sacrificed for a G425 2 hybrid when I play away from my home course. I toyed with a 50* in a TM Hi-Toe (I know, what is the point of it in a 50*). I just found it was a little hit on bump and runs. Full shots were nice but any wedge in my bag needs to do more than one job. It also lacked the loft for those back in the stance 50-60 yard shits which could bounce short of a tier on a green and check up when it got up the tier. It could have been the loft, it could have been the bounce/grind. Either way it got bumped. As for the 7* gap, I have no problem choking down on my PW, playing punchy lower-flighted shots or popping it forward in the stance and sending it up a bit. As a stock shot with PW, GW and SW (56*) I will always lean towards lowering flight to control distance. The 50*, which I thought was solving a gapping problem, did not work for me. That's just my two cents anyway. 

Edited by jaybeemaestro

I have an 8 degree difference between my PW, 42 degrees, GW 50 degrees and SW 56. Oddly no probably gapping as I hit my PW 105 yds, GP 85 yds, SW 70 yds. Approx. 80 mph driver speed.

Work to golf

I have a 6 degree gap between all my wedges. I have no issues at all, I do hit a lot of partial shots though and rarely hit anything shorter than a 9 iron with a full swing. I like to play a 62 degree wedge mostly just for around the greens but the going from 62 to a 54 is a bit much.

I actually play a 6 degree gap between my pitching wedge and gap wedge, 46 and 52 respectively.  After that I keep it at a 4 degree gap for my sand wedge and lob wedge (56 and 60).  I looked into changing my lofts to 46, 50, 56 and 60 but the yardage gain with the two degree increase was almost nonexistent and not worth the change.  I have been playing the 46, 52, 56 and 60 set up for more than 20 years and for me, I am comfortable with that set up and right now not willing to make the change to anything different.

I play a Titleist TS3 9 degree driver, Ping G410 14.5 degree 3 wood, Titleist 818 H1 19 degree hybrid, Titleist 718 CB 4-9 irons, Vokey 46, 52, 56 and 60 degree wedges, with an Odyssey Black Series 1 putter.

My set PW is 46, and set GW is 51.  My Vokeys are bent to 55 and 59.

I don’t pay a ton of attention to stamped lofts.  The actual carry is going to change from OEM to OEM anyway.  The concern, in my mind, should be if you can take enough off the PW to hit the yardages you can’t quite get to with the gap.  If you can no worries in my book.

• Like 1

Driver:  :honma:TR20 460, Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW:  :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 65g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3 & 4H, Mitsubishi MMT 80g Stiff

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 5-GW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM8 54 S Grind bent to 55, 60 M Grind bent to 59, Aerotech Steelfiber i110 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot OG Double Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1X

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!

2 hours ago, YamYam said:

Trouble is when you start meeting with lofts on say Vokeys, the bounce angle changes too and also the grinds.

That is with any wedge or any iron for that matter some worse than others

Driver ---- Honma G1_X Stock tuned Honma R shaft---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex 15*--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex 21*---- 9 wood TM V-Steel stock MAS Stiff shaft 24*---  Irons 4 thru 9 Mac Muirfield TT black label R-- PW M-85 Macgregor 48* S-400 Sensicore --- SW  Vokey SM-4 51* stock shaft--- LW Vokey SM 5 L grind 58* stock shaft--- Putter -- Original Reuter Bulls Eye Standard---. Bag Old School Jones Original non stand

On 11/17/2021 at 11:22 AM, Hook DeLoft said:

I’ve noticed that some strong lofted sets come with a 6 degree gap between wedges. Obviously, if this caused problems, you could adjust the lofts. But I was wondering if folks who have a set up like this find the gap to be too large. I have seen some write that the designers know what they’re doing and the gapping should be just fine, but the cynic in me suspects the big gap is a compromise. 

Bought new wedges 2 years ago, with a 46* PW from set, added a 52*( bent from 50*), then a 58*. Could never get my "imagination" to make up the shot I needed. Bought a 54*, had the "52" bent back to 50*(twice over 9 months), and my short game is much better. Don't have to worry if I over compensating for the gap, and trying to get the shot I wanted. The bending twice is because the metal will creep back to where is was bent. So, 46*, 50*, 54*, 58*-pitch thru lob wedges...

Driver-Ping g410 SFT, 3W-Callaway Diablo Octane, Hybrids-Snake Eyes Viper 18*+ 21*, Irons-GigaGolf Reva Hybrid Irons 24*- 46*, Wedges-Cleveland CBX2's 50*54*58*, Putter-Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c

I don't, but I have played with a 7 degree gap and done fine with it.  There has to be something weird going on for me to hit anything longer than 49 full, anyway.  

Right now I go 49,54,59

Taylor Made Stealth 10.5  Aldila Ascent Red R flex

Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 5-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Still on that elusive hunt for a 3 wood that I'm able to hit - I don't know why, I crush the 5 wood and it's really a 4 wood anyway. 

I have a 6* gap between my 3 wedges, 44 (PW), 50 (GW) & 56 (SW). Has worked well for me. I  dont really use a full swing for to 56. Its more of a finesse club for me. I don't think I'm good enough to need to use 4 wedges with a 4* gap setup. 

Epic Max Driver

Epic Max 3 wood

Epic SuperHybrid 3

Srixon ZX5 4-PW

Cleveland CBX 50 & 56 degree

Odyssey Tri-hot 5k Double wide

While my PW to GW is 5 degree difference, i have no trouble with a variety of shots.  FYI - i did feel the 6 degree diff to my SW was too much.  Current setup is PW 45, GW 50, SW 54, LW 58

Play ready golf !!!

I play 6° between wedges. 46° Srixon 785 pw, 52° Bridgestone, 58° Bridgestone. Used to have 8° when I had the 54°/60° setup. But went with the 52°/58° setup about 10yrs ago & have been really comfortable since. 

Cally Epic Flash 3 💎 / HZRDUS 1100- 6.5/tipped 1.5”

TM M3 3wd HL/ Rogue 80x

Srixon 785/ DGTI x100s

Bridgestone Tour B/ 52°&58°- DGTI s400

Scotty TEI3 Long Neck

I Play Speed Golf and carry just five clubs. So I have a 21° hybrid  35° eight iron and a 56° wedge. Crazy, but last year I averaged just two shots better with 14 clubs and walking than I did with five clubs and running. So the moral of the story is that the gap can be managed if you learn to hit the shots. 

• Like 1

My Pw is 45 degrees then 50, 56,60.  My first 50 was approach club that was too good, would almost do PW distances, so replaced with true wedge.  Between 3/4 and full swing, hinge and straight can make most distances from  140 yds in work.  The first approach was painful experience.  

All Fitted-- Driver - 2017 Callaway Epic Subzero 10.5d (same as Kevin Na), 3 Wood -2017 Epic Subzero 15d, 3 Hybrid Mavrik, X-forged 4-PW, Wedges Callaway 4 52-56-60, Odyssey Toulon Chicago     

7 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The JB is effectively 11 now due to the reduction in loft. There a 1:1 ratio for bounce change to loft change. 

Also forgot to mention earlier just changing from 56/60 setup to a 54/58 won’t automatically fix thing of the bounce is still wrong. I agree on that. It was geared to changing the gaps. 

Since you are good out of the sand with the 56 you can either learn how to hit it better from the fairway or learn to play different shot with your gap wedge. I currently rely on the gap wedge. But sometimes when I'm 70 0r 80 yards out with a tight pin position I want more height to stop quick. That's when I pull the 56 with so so results.  Or use the JB wedge out of the fairway and find a 58 or 60* that works in the bunker. What is the bounce on the 60*. 10 degrees. But truthfully I never tried the 60 out of the sand. 

But before we get into that type of discussion and decision. Explain your sand game technique including how you setup, how you lay the club and how you swing. Then do the same for how your fairway shots? Also what is the grass and ground like on the fairway? Sand play, set up is slightly open, club face is slightly open. Aiming slightly left of the pin. Taking a dollar size divot with a thump sound at the bottom of the swing arc.  

Fairways are square setup. Sweeping swing minimal divot. This could be part of the problem because if I lay the 56 degree down on a hard surface with no shaft lean the leading edge is raised off the floor by over a 1/4 inch. Comparing the Sub 70 JB wedge this distance in minimal due to the grind. Minimal being less than 1/2 the distance of the CBX.

I play at a private club with very good conditions and the fairway turf is cut pretty tight. The soil base does have a lot of clay so it does get firm.

After thinking about this through your questions. I would assume the first thing to try would be to see how well the 60 degree works out of the sand. Then have the Sub 70 in play. It seems like I might not be getting the 56 down into the turf enough to get good interaction with the club face and the ball. The other option is to put a slight forward press of the 56. But this then changes the loft defeating my desire to get the ball up high and stop quick.

Or as a true golfer I am thinking to much!

• Like 2

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi1 10* Stiff Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: 939x 5 hybrid

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (6 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"