Anyone playing a 6 degree gap between pitching wedge and gap wedge?

Hook DeLoft

I have no idea what degree my gap wedge is, I only know to use it when I need to land my golf ball around 95 yards. I use my 52 for 80+ yards, 56 and 60 for flop shots and out of the bunker. Occasionally, I'll add my Edel 64 just to have fun with!

• Like 1

Divot Diva

My Wedges are, PW with 47° loft, a 54° and a 60°. I don't have any issues with loft between the wedges as I prefer my 60° from anything from 80m or closer. The 54° I play from 80m to 110m, and the PW from 110m to 125m. Greenside or from a fluffy lie I will go with anything from a 60° to a 9 Iron. 

default_titelist-small.jpg.ce9f42d5694f285c498235c26f81ca24.jpg TS3 8.5°

default_taylormade-small.jpg.38fe6f95dda21245f3fac3407e54d0b3.jpg RBZ Stage 2 Tour 14.5°

image.png.5c3f9754d5cea2ff38a7c4b2764675c0.png Apex Edge 2 Iron

default_mizuno-small.jpg.69e225713404a3293d291ed51b42b2ec.jpg MP32 Irons 3 - PW

default_cleveland-small.jpg.903af6280bdadd06ef9c8f0c4dfe4218.jpg 54° and 60° Wedges

default_scotty-cameron-1.gif.aa4eac2325a98c0e94d74d30721a263a.gif Newport 2 Gunmetal

default_titelist-small.jpg.ce9f42d5694f285c498235c26f81ca24.jpg Pro V1

4 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

After thinking about this through your questions. I would assume the first thing to try would be to see how well the 60 degree works out of the sand. Then have the Sub 70 in play. It seems like I might not be getting the 56 down into the turf enough to get good interaction with the club face and the ball. The other option is to put a slight forward press of the 56. But this then changes the loft defeating my desire to get the ball up high and stop quick.

Or as a true golfer I am thinking to much!

Dont over think it there old buddy you do just fine the way you play now

• Like 2

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex 15*--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex 21*---- 9 wood TM V-Steel stock MAS Stiff shaft 24*---  Irons 4 thru 9 Mac Muirfield TT black label --- PW  Vokey SM-4 51* stock shaft--- SW Vokey SM 5 L grind 58* stock shaft--- Putter -- Rusty Scotty Santa Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft---. Bag Old School Jones Original non stand

4 hours ago, Betty Rene said:

I have no idea what degree my gap wedge is, I only know to use it when I need to land my golf ball around 95 yards. I use my 52 for 80+ yards, 56 and 60 for flop shots and out of the bunker. Occasionally, I'll add my Edel 64 just to have fun with!

In my vintage play I have started carrying a Ping Zing 2 BECU at 62* that a friend of mine gave me. It is not really practical for me if I am playing my normal game. But on my vintage golf it is all kicks and giggles anyhow and do not care about the score. That thing is a blast for a high flop 40 yard shot especially with a Balata ball. I also have a cheap Dunlop 64* I mess around the yard here with to stay limber and again for kicks and giggles. Golf for me now is all about fun and trust me these days I have more fun than ever

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex 15*--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex 21*---- 9 wood TM V-Steel stock MAS Stiff shaft 24*---  Irons 4 thru 9 Mac Muirfield TT black label --- PW  Vokey SM-4 51* stock shaft--- SW Vokey SM 5 L grind 58* stock shaft--- Putter -- Rusty Scotty Santa Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft---. Bag Old School Jones Original non stand

I have 5° between the PW (47°) and my gap wedge (52°) and then 6° between said gap wedge and my sand/lob wedge at 58°...  Gaping isn't much of a problem for that, I'd say as we're talking wedges, so very lofted, relatively high bounce clubs with short-ish shafts, that are made for "funking them". So I play full PW, full 52° sometimes but then again most shots with these 3 wedges are "partial", cutty (I usually play a strong draw), open faced.

Aim small... pray to miss small

8 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

After thinking about this through your questions. I would assume the first thing to try would be to see how well the 60 degree works out of the sand. Then have the Sub 70 in play. It seems like I might not be getting the 56 down into the turf enough to get good interaction with the club face and the ball. The other option is to put a slight forward press of the 56. But this then changes the loft defeating my desire to get the ball up high and stop quick.

Or as a true golfer I am thinking to much!

Yeah you need to look at how you are using the club in the sand vs in the fairway, also compare surface type. Hard pan sand vs softer type fairways or whatever they might be. Ball position, dynamic loft, aoa, ground before, at or after ball. Are you really a sweeper/shallow with wedges or do you have more of a steeper attack compared to irons.

While a forward press would reduce loft at address it doenst necessarily mean you will present that or less loft at impact. Our minds understand what we are trying to do and we make swings around those thoughts and what the mind/body recognize about where the club and clubface are in the swing 

• Like 2

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

My short irons are 5* gaps ending at set matching 45* PW kept that going to a 50* GW and then 54* and 58*. Only “full swing” with PW and GW really but even then at best it’s 90%. I play my 50* in the 75-110yd range, 54 is exclusively for green side bunkers, and 58* for 75yds and in. So I’m really playing an 8* gap between GW and LW since I don’t pull my 54 outside of a trap.5674C5EB-B0B5-4598-903F-1D08CA50FA28.jpeg.99916f16ab97f2532df966a318440b23.jpeg

Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 14 way

Driver: Ping G425 LST 9 deg (set to 7.5 deg/"big minus") Mitsubishi C6 Blue Stiff 55g Grip JumboMax Ultralite X-Small

3W: Ping G410 14.5 deg (Set to 13.5 deg) Mitsubishi C6 Blue Stiff 65g Grip JumboMax Ultralite X-Small

Hybrids: 19 deg (Set to 18) and 22 (set to 21) deg Ping G410 hybrid Mitsubishi C6 Black Stiff 80g Grip JumboMax Ultralite X-Small

Irons: 5-PW Irons PXG 0211 KBS C Taper Tour 120 Stiff -0.25" Grip JumboMax Ultralite X-Small

Wedges: 50-07 S-grind, 54-08 D-grind and 58-12 deg D-grind Mizuno T22 Denim Copper Grip JumboMax Ultralite X-Small

Putter:  PXG Gen2 Spitfire Armlock 37.5" SuperStroke Flatso 3.0 17"

Game Ball: New Gamer Maxfli Tour CG 

The real conversation is not the spacing between wedges, it is how many wedges you want to carry.  

What is important on how far you hit full swing wedges them, not specifically the degrees of gapping.  Most people aren't playing matching upper wedges to their PW (maybe GW).  (Ping irons and Titleist Wedges sound familiar?) so it could be a different swing weight, shaft length etc. which can affect distance.  But it is a good starting point.  Like a on a scale loosing weight, good number doesn't tell the whole story.  6 ft 220 (8% body fat) is very different from 6ft 220 (20% body fat).  One I am an NFL corner, the other I am a Dad!

You need to see if you have gaps in your YARDAGES on the full swings for your wedges (the scoring clubs). 

When you are hitting into a green with a wedge do you often find yourself saying you need to "lay off" or "lean on" etc?  Maybe your gaps are too big.  Go out to a green when you are not going to be bothered and hit 10-20 balls from each wedge and get an average distance.  Put those on a chart and see what the data says.  

We call them wedges but the current PW is really a 9I from 10 years ago at 44 degrees.  So I carry 5 Wedges (60, 56, 52, 48, and 44) but I don't carry a 4 iron because of the limit.  But I may only hit 1 4I a round.  But I like all the options around the green.  Most people can't hit a 4I inside a 20 yard circle, but we are all trying to hit our wedges inside that circle and trying to do it very consistently.

I would say let the data do the talking first.  Then you might have to bend a few lofts or get a different club etc. Degrees are just the beginning of the conversation.

Cheers

Tigger

• Like 2

PW to GW is 6 deg. For full swings I just choke down on the PW for yardages between the GW and the PW. 4 deg difference between the GW and SW and from the SW to LW so no problems there. 

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5,7 regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in 7 wood)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 

Irons: Callaway Steelhead 7,9,PW (gapping distances require both a 7 hybrid and 7 iron, choke on the 7 for 8 iron distance or hook the 9 iron)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

I go 9iron-38 GW48 to LW57 so 9* gap, I'll go down the shaft of the 9iron or GW if I need to. I only carry 7 clubs because I like to feel the irons distance to the pin, I'm finding that that works out quite good for me. I'm about to try a older Taylormade 360 Ti driver with a 4-5 wood length steel shaft, I've been practicing hitting it off the deck because I can run it onto the green...

My wedges go 44-48-54-58.  So I have the 6* gap on the 48-54 wedges. I don't have many situations that arise where I'm uncomfortable choosing one or the other. I'm an old codger and my wedges don't go all that far but a full shot is...44=115; 48=100; 54=83 and 58=68.

TaylorMade Stealth 9* Ventus Blue 60 R

TaylorMade Stealth 15* 3W R

Mizuno CLK 19*

Mizuno CLK 22* > 24* 

Srixon X5 5-PW Aerotech Gener8 R +1/2"

Vokey SM8 48* 10* bounce

Vokey SM9 54*  10* bounce

Vokey SM9 58*   8* bounce

Edel putter 34.75"

Shot my age for the 1st time on 7/9/2022 with a 69

With my current setup I have 6º between all wedges.

PW: 48º
SW: 54º
LW: 60º

And it wasn't that long ago I had 5 SCOR wedges.  🤣

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Look at the witb for Cam Smith at The Open Champ.  Note variety of grinds.  Ya make your variety of shots with less-than-full swing clubs.  Unless you are talking about trying to make full swing shots as close as about 60 or 50 yards, the loft gaps aren't the only factor.

• Like 1

Driver  Callaway Epic on Recoil F2 (senior) flex

Three wood is TM Burner Superfast 3.0 on M (mature) flex

3H Old Adams A3OS red boxster on stock Graffaloy Platinum reg shaft

3 MP 18 MMC and 4 GFF hybrid Mizuno irons

5 Mizu hybrid Fli-hi

6 - W Ping I 500 irons on Recoil F3 reg flex shafts

Wedges:  Mizuno blue 52 09, 60 06, and old original Hogan Sure-out 56 14 sand

Chipper (yep I carry a chipper) old Don Martin Up n In bronze 

Putter Musty wood mallet, sometimes switch with my Scotty Cameron Futura X counter weight face balanced

I literally bounce between two gappings.  Have TM SLDR irons so PW is 46deg.  Use Cleveland CBX / CBX2 wedges - 4deg gap setup: PW (TM) 46deg, GW (50), SW (54), LW (58) - all CBX or 6deg gap: PW (TM) 46 deg, GW (52), SW/LW (58).  The 52 is a CBX2.  In terms of shot distances - the 52 seems to be more versatile.  When I really want to mess with my head I’ll drag the old Eye2 wedges out, another day another conversation.

• Like 1

WITB? :taylormade-small:10.5deg SLDR (R flex),  :taylormade-small:3HL/17 SLDR Series (R flex),:taylormade-small: 5/19 SLDR Series (R flex), :taylormade-small: 4h/22 SLDR Series (R flex), :callaway-small: DIablo graphite shaft irons (5 (R flex), 6-PW (A flex)), :cleveland-small: CBX 50, 54,& 58 wedges - graphite, :odyssey-small: White Iron 5 putter.   

No! I have 4° gap between my wedges, PW 46° - 130 yards, GW 50° - 115 yards, SW 54° - 100 yards and LW 58° - 85 yards. Around the green I use only 58° bounce 6° in the Summer time and for the Winter 54° bounce 14°.

Edited by Marius Grigore

On 7/23/2022 at 2:02 PM, Donn lost in San Diego said:

Look at the witb for Cam Smith at The Open Champ.  Note variety of grinds.  Ya make your variety of shots with less-than-full swing clubs.  Unless you are talking about trying to make full swing shots as close as about 60 or 50 yards, the loft gaps aren't the only factor.

Correct preach it!  Most people do not understand my reasoning on doing things. Wedges are scoring clubs or saving shot clubs. Most of the time I spec out a wedge for the sole grind and what different shots I can hit with it. Now I have lost some distance and right now I am carrying a 52 instead of a 56 and distance wise I do with it what I used to do with a 56. Also scaled back to a 58. PW wise I am at 48 and if I have further than 100 yards well shrug that is what a 9 iron is for. Right now I am in the experimental stages of wedge set up . If I decide to go with the current 52 58 set up I will tell the specs.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2022 at 5:17 PM, Willie T said:

I literally bounce between two gappings.  Have TM SLDR irons so PW is 46deg.  Use Cleveland CBX / CBX2 wedges - 4deg gap setup: PW (TM) 46deg, GW (50), SW (54), LW (58) - all CBX or 6deg gap: PW (TM) 46 deg, GW (52), SW/LW (58).  The 52 is a CBX2.  In terms of shot distances - the 52 seems to be more versatile.  When I really want to mess with my head I’ll drag the old Eye2 wedges out, another day another conversation.

Love the thought of the Eye2 wedges--- Yes I have several and a couple of Zings I am quite fond of too. When I play my vintage stuff I do sorta "cheat" I carry a BECU Zing 2 LW at 62*. Not that is is really practical for me at this stage but because of the kicks and giggles factor. With it square I can only hit it about 40 yards or so. Open it up and I can hit it straight up about 20 yards total. It is a blast to do that hitting a Srixon Divide ball. 

2 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Love the thought of the Eye2 wedges--- Yes I have several and a couple of Zings I am quite fond of too. When I play my vintage stuff I do sorta "cheat" I carry a BECU Zing 2 LW at 62*. Not that is is really practical for me at this stage but because of the kicks and giggles factor. With it square I can only hit it about 40 yards or so. Open it up and I can hit it straight up about 20 yards total. It is a blast to do that hitting a Srixon Divide ball. 

I have a Daiwa Protege SW that I can hit high, it belonged to Ian Baker Finch Aussie Pro. I had a mate Pro in Sydney who got the set of irons and gave them to me, I liked hitting over tree's because I couldn't hit under lol but was ok over...

• Like 1

On 7/30/2022 at 3:35 AM, BIG STU said:

The Eye 2’s line up like this - 50.5 GW, 53.5 SW (Eye 2+) and 57.5 LW.  They are fun to hit - shoot now I may have to put them back in the bag for golf Thurs.  

• Like 1

WITB? :taylormade-small:10.5deg SLDR (R flex),  :taylormade-small:3HL/17 SLDR Series (R flex),:taylormade-small: 5/19 SLDR Series (R flex), :taylormade-small: 4h/22 SLDR Series (R flex), :callaway-small: DIablo graphite shaft irons (5 (R flex), 6-PW (A flex)), :cleveland-small: CBX 50, 54,& 58 wedges - graphite, :odyssey-small: White Iron 5 putter.