Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Is Maxfli DTC?

hckymeyer

Is Maxfli a DTC brand for golf balls?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Is Maxfli DTC?

• Yes
    • No

With the results of the Ball Lab quality test coming out today we have a somewhat surprising result for best quality DTC ball.  Maxfli?  I would call it a house brand for Dicks Sporting Good.  I personally see no way, shape, or form that it's considered a DTC brand, yet here it is in the winners circle.  So just curious what others think, is Maxfli DTC?

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I said yes due to the limited market for purchasing Maxfli.   I can actually buy Vice at more retail outlets than Maxfli so do we no longer consider Vice DTC?   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I would say it is a DTC ball.  It's made by Dick's and they sell it directly to consumers.  Just because Dick's is a huge company compared to say Vice or something doesn't mean they aren't DTC.  

What's the main reason you think they don't qualify?  

Edit:  @cnosil makes a good point.  Since Vice is available at retail stores, they actually aren't being sold by the manufacturer "directly to the consumer".  They are being sold by a middle man just like the big brands.  Maxfli, as far as I know, is only available at Dick's and Golf Galaxy which are one and the same...

Calling Maxfli a DTC ball, when it's sold almost exclusively at DSG or Golf Galaxy, pretty much negates the whole premise of "direct to consumer".

Tony's tweet about DTC being an OK term for Maxfli just because Snell and Vice are also available at stores doesn't really cut it, IMHO. Snell and Vice began as companies that sold direct to consumers without a presence in big box stores. Maxfli never has. Just because those two brands have expanded their reach and availability doesn't take away from the fact that they primarily sell via their own websites and offer specific deals to those who purchase directly. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Pretty easy answer for me: Vice and Snell's primary distribution channel is DTC, which is a classic definition of direct to consumer.  Try to buy Maxfli balls direct? Nope - you've got to go through retail outlets like Dicks/GG and others. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

I said yes due to the limited market for purchasing Maxfli.   I can actually buy Vice at more retail outlets than Maxfli so do we no longer consider Vice DTC?   

I was about to vote no, but this is a great point. Vice and Cut are easier to purchase than Maxfli. There's only 1 Dick's by my house, but there's 2 Targets and a Wal-Mart that are even closer. Plus Vice is also on Amazon. 

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I think there is a lot of hair splitting going on.  What I'm hearing is that if there was a Maxfli website that you could purchase balls from then it would qualify as DTC but since that site redirects to Dick's sporting goods website, which is a major retailer, they don't qualify?  

I guess maybe my definition of DTC is different.  I interpret DTC to mean that the manufacturer sells their product directly to the consumer with out any middle man or 3rd party being involved.  It doesn't matter to me whether that sale happens primarily over the internet or in a store or if the manufacturer of the product happens to also be a retailer.  

Similarly, I still consider PXG to be a DTC brand even though they have retail locations.  

I would say yes...and no.  I would say yes in that they are DTC because they dont have the markup that some of the more mainstream brands do and they are truly DTC in the sense that they are a DSG/GG exclusive and are a house brand.

I would say no because they arent a true DTC because the balls are manufactured for DSG/GG, then sold to DSG/GG and then sold to consumers.  Its not truly direct to consumer but its certainly far better than a lot of other brands.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

3 hours ago, ZenGolfer said:

I would say yes...and no.  I would say yes in that they are DTC because they dont have the markup that some of the more mainstream brands do and they are truly DTC in the sense that they are a DSG/GG exclusive and are a house brand.

I would say no because they arent a true DTC because the balls are manufactured for DSG/GG, then sold to DSG/GG and then sold to consumers.  Its not truly direct to consumer but its certainly far better than a lot of other brands.

If that is the criteria you're measuring by then none of the DTC brands are actually DTC.  There isn't a single one of the "mainstream" DTC companies that manufactures their own balls.  Even Taylormade doesn't yet manufacture their own balls completely as they just bought the factory that makes them for them....

In my gut I still don't see Maxfli as a DTC brand.  It just seems like one of those situations where you just know it when you see it, but have a hard time articulating the exact why.

I really did appreciate Tony's reply on Twitter though, and from that stand point it starts to make more sense.  So maybe from a strict definition of the company selling the ball is the company responsible for it being made and it's available primarily only through their channels then it could qualify as DTC.  

I just think while it may fit the definition, it's not in the spirit of what a DTC ball company started out to be.

Now get off my lawn and turn down that music!

(just kidding, come on over and let's golf/party)

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

15 minutes ago, hckymeyer said:

In my gut I still don't see Maxfli as a DTC brand.  It just seems like one of those situations where you just know it when you see it, but have a hard time articulating the exact why.

I do see your point and as a golfer that has been playing for a long time, Maxfli was a major golf brand so it is hard to quantify them as DTC.  It is kind of like Hogan, the company has shifted and uses different distribution channels.

I haven’t checked prices but Maybe it is because if you purchase directly from the manufacturer you get more discount than if you buy from the retailers. Meaning if I buy Snell in bulk from Snell I get savings,  if I buy from Amazon no price discount.  Even though available in other places to gain exposure, we are better off buying direct.  

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

54 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I haven’t checked prices 

Maxfli Tour ball is 34.99 at Dicks - same price as Snell MTB-X. Note I've tried the Maxfli - but still prefer Snell. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

7 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

Maxfli Tour ball is 34.99 at Dicks - same price as Snell MTB-X. Note I've tried the Maxfli - but still prefer Snell. 

My point was the with Snell if I buy through Snell.com i get a bulk discount.  If I buy through Amazon, no bulk price discount.  I just looked and MTB-X is $49 on Amazon. Buying direct saves you money.  

Really? First world problems to be sure. Ironically, after years using Snell MTBs exclusively I switched to Maxfli Tours this year, I could care less what you call the distribution channel...

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

FWIW, Buy Maxfli at maxfli.com ( a redirect to DSG online ), get discount on multiple boxes.  
Vice, Snell, Cut, etc.  Same thing.  At this point they really are essentially the same.  

The core difference is that Maxfli prices have to cover for the retail overhead that the others do not.

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

4 hours ago, Middler said:

, I could care less what you call the distribution channel...

My point was that Maxfli were in the DTC category for the 'Quality Awards' somewhat apples and oranges . I wonder if they weren't would Vice, Snell or others come in at number 1.? If the Maxfli's are that good - which I don't dispute,  they would have probably have taken 1st in a 'Value' category.  

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

4 hours ago, cnosil said:

My point was the with Snell if I buy through Snell.com i get a bulk discount.  If I buy through Amazon, no bulk price discount.  I just looked and MTB-X is $49 on Amazon. Buying direct saves you money.  

$49? 😱 WTH, why would anyone buy them on Amazon.  And yes, the bulk discounts are great and the 5 packs are back again. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

1 hour ago, tony@CIC said:

$49? 😱 WTH, why would anyone buy them on Amazon.  And yes, the bulk discounts are great and the 5 packs are back again. 

People love Amazon (and my wife gets lots of deliveries from there),  but you have to look at price as often you can find things considerably cheaper elsewhere.   

On 11/17/2021 at 5:00 PM, tony@CIC said:

Pretty easy answer for me: Vice and Snell's primary distribution channel is DTC, which is a classic definition of direct to consumer.  Try to buy Maxfli balls direct? Nope - you've got to go through retail outlets like Dicks/GG and others. 

Recently I ordered 4 dozen Maxfli Tour yellows an$ they arrived within 2 days…..Believe that is DTC.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

1 hour ago, fozcycle said:

Recently I ordered 4 dozen Maxfli Tour yellows an$ they arrived within 2 days…..Believe that is DTC.

You take care of my relatives or ............. well you know what I'm capable of. If you think your round of 99 was bad just wait.

19 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

You can buy two dozen Maxflis for $60 almost all the time. You can’t get Snell MTBs for $30/dozen even if you buy 5 dozen, and you now pay shipping for Snells - though there’s a Black Friday free shipping promo going on thru 11/29. With several Dicks and Golf Galaxy’s near me, it’s cheaper and more convenient than ordering from Snell.

• Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

On 11/17/2021 at 1:21 PM, cnosil said:

Same here.  I keep hoping to see another skookum deal from DSG's on the Tours but wonder if, with all the materials and inventory shortages, we've seen the last of those?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

1 hour ago, Middler said:

You can buy two dozen Maxflis for $60 almost all the time. You can’t get Snell MTBs for $30/dozen even if you buy 5 dozen, and you now pay shipping for Snells - though there’s a Black Friday free shipping promo going on thru 11/29. With several Dicks and Golf Galaxy’s near me, it’s cheaper and more convenient than ordering from Snell.

OK great.

Maxfli still isn't a DTC brand.

2 minutes ago, ChitownM2 said:

So by your definition, Tesla would also not be a DTC brand because they have retail stores where I can go in and buy cars at?

Yep.

Snell, Vice, etc all primarily offer their product shipping directly to customers so they can get their product from the manufacturer right at their doorstep. Maxfli has to be purchased via a big box store, whether it's in person or ordering online via their website. Not sure why there's confusion over this other than deliberately trying to be argumentative. 

I don't particularly care one way or the other, I think it's just sloppy work by the MGS crew. It would seem they meant to say, "not one of the big brands" (Cally, Titleist, TM, etc) and "DTC" is convenient short-hand. I can buy balls "direct-to-consumer" from any of the big brands too and you can even get a discount on some of them, like TM, if you subscribe. Fundamentally, for me at least, "DTC" is a business/distribution/sales strategy, not a categorization of a company.

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

7 hours ago, russtopherb said:

OK great.

Maxfli still isn't a DTC brand.

Who cares? If it’s so important to you, by all means you’re right.

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

7 minutes ago, Middler said:

Who cares? If it’s so important to you, by all means you’re right.

We care, hence the thread. 

On 11/18/2021 at 6:27 PM, fozcycle said:

Whether I go to Dick's or order online, my price is the same.  So I'll say the primary distribution channel is retail.  I can order gym shorts and tennis rackets on the same order.  The entire order can be picked up locally if in stock. Doesn't seem the same as DTC golf balls, although Vice is expanding to other gear and apparently to other retail or online vendors.

But I'm ok just getting rid of the DTC label.  What does that imply in terms of the ball?  I order Pro-V's in the annual 4-4-3 sale direct.  I would never define them as DTC, but I can decide if I prefer Snell, Srixon, or Titleist, all relative to how they play and how much I am willing to pay.  And all 3 brands have been delivered to my door.

Titleist TSR 11 degree, HZRDS Red R 44.75 LH

Titleist TSR-1 5/7 Woods LH

Titleist TSR-1 23 Hybrid LH

Titleist T200  7-48 - T350 6 Tensai AMT Red LH

Titleist SM9 50-54-58 TT AMT Red LH

Scotty Phantom X 7.5 RH

I said it is DTC. Because we all consider Snell DTC and Vice, etc. Vice is sold at walmart for crying out loud. Maxfli is made for and sold by Dicks. Just like Snell is made for and sold by Dean. Its no different. And I would bet Snell has a store front at the headquarters too.

FTR Snell offers a great product from a great company and customer relations are fantastic there. 

Edited by Tyler86

Mavrik Max Driver

M2 5W

818 hybrids

Steelhead XR Irons

ZipCore wedges

SeeMore PR M7X