Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Is Maxfli DTC?

hckymeyer

Is Maxfli a DTC brand for golf balls?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Is Maxfli DTC?

• Yes
    • No

I voted "no", but more importantly, I learned from this thread that Maxfli can be considered a Dick's "house brand".  Dick's will never see a dime from me because of the corporate attitude towards another product that I own that begins with the letter "g".

:ping-small: G430 Max HL Max Driver

:ping-small: G430 Max HL 5- and 7-Woods

:ping-small: G430 Max  HL 4-Hybrid

:titleist-small: T300 6-GW Irons

:ping-small: Glide 3.0 52 and 58 degree Wedges

:titleist-small: Vokey SM9 56 degree Sand Wedge

:bettinardi-small: BB-8W Putter

:titleist-small: ProV1x Balls

Semper ubi, sub ubi.

11 hours ago, Tyler86 said:

And I would bet Snell has a store front at the headquarters too.

You’d lose that bet, unfortunately. No store front at Snell HQ. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

On 11/17/2021 at 10:51 PM, ChitownM2 said:

If that is the criteria you're measuring by then none of the DTC brands are actually DTC.  There isn't a single one of the "mainstream" DTC companies that manufactures their own balls.  Even Taylormade doesn't yet manufacture their own balls completely as they just bought the factory that makes them for them....

True but there is a big difference in that DSG/GG have actual brick and morter stores that add to the cost vs companies like Vice, Snell, Cut, etc that are strictly virtual.  Having physical stores is something that should be built into the pricing model for Maxfli, which is kind of what makes them so amazing that they can compete on price with the DTC brands but arent truly DTC.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Wow, yesterday must have been a slow golf news day if we are arguing whether Maxfli is or isn't a DTC brand.😄 As someone else said we are splitting hairs a bit. DTC "to me" means no middle man, the product goes from manufacturer to the consumer without additional mark-ups or additional dollars tacked on to pay for the brick & mortar overhead. I see Maxfli as Dicks & GG's house brand, but since they are technically the manufacturer I guess one could consider it a DTC brand. On the other hand, one could argue that there are additional mark-ups on the ball to account for the overhead of shelf space in a brick & mortar store. Meh, I'm going to get my second cup of coffee now. 

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

Like whether or not a ball is DTC factors in to the buying decision. Price, performance, quality, color, availability yes. DTC or not, no. Some people just like to be "outraged" about every little thing.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

Based on the arguments here, Kirkland is also a Direct To Consumer ball.  They only sell through their stores or internet.  You can not buy them at a Pro Shop. Maybe that's the diff.  DTC balls are not sold in Pro Shops???

• Driver _ Ping G400 Max
  • Woods _ Ping G410 3 & 5 | Cleveland Launcher XL HALO 7
  • Hybrid _ Titleist 818 H1 5 
  • Irons _ Titleist T300 6-GW
  • Wedges _ Titleist SM9 52F & 56S
  • Putter _ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife Two Bar Hybrid
  • Distance _ Bushnell Phantom 2 GPS | Precision Pro NX7 Pro
  • Ball _ Titleist Pro V1 yellow
  • GHIN _ HCP floats between 8 & 12

:ping-small:  :cleveland-small: :titelist-small:  :vokey-small:   :odyssey-small:  :rife-putters-1:  :918457628_PrecisionPro:  :sunmountain: :Clicgear:   :footjoy-small:  

"Never bet against an old man with old clubs that have new grips"

Here is how MGS defined them:

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

This is taking on the life of 'should fittings be free' discussion. While personal opinion of all of our forum members is important and valued, in this case it's not going to change MGS HQ's opinion or the awards.  As someone who was in the DTC (not golf related) business for 25 yrs,  I don't believe believe @Tony C's. definition is accurate. But that's my opinion and BTW I don't dispute Maxfli's, performance. quality and cost.  What matters to me is: would other ball companies have been selected for top quality awards if the definition was different.

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

4 hours ago, CrazyGolfNut said:

Based on the arguments here, Kirkland is also a Direct To Consumer ball.  They only sell through their stores or internet.  You can not buy them at a Pro Shop. Maybe that's the diff.  DTC balls are not sold in Pro Shops???

I would consider Kirkland DTC also.

7 hours ago, russtopherb said:

You’d lose that bet, unfortunately. No store front at Snell HQ. 

🤯

Mavrik Max Driver

M2 5W

818 hybrids

Steelhead XR Irons

ZipCore wedges

SeeMore PR M7X

On 11/18/2021 at 10:49 AM, tony@CIC said:

Maxfli Tour ball is 34.99 at Dicks - same price as Snell MTB-X. Note I've tried the Maxfli - but still prefer Snell. 

Maxfli 2020 is 2 for $60 and 2019 is 2 for $45. Might want to try OnCore they have buy 2 get one free.

Driver-Sub70 849D

3 wood-Sub70 939X

5 wood-Callaway Rogue

4 hybrid-Tour Edge EXS 220

irons-Sub70 699 V2 irons

wedges-Sub70 JB wedges, 50, 54, 58

putter-Sub 70 FN 001 with Evenroll Gravity Grip

Ball-OnCore Elixir

57 minutes ago, tschott said:

Maxfli 2020 is 2 for $60 and 2019 is 2 for $45. Might want to try OnCore they have buy 2 get one free.

Think I saw the 2021 Tour 48 box on sale for $104.98 at Dick's. Good price, Good Ball.

Tour Edge C721 Driver, Integra 45g L flex shaft

BombTech 2 HW 16*

BombTech 5 W

Maltby KE4-Max 5 - PW, Recoil Dart 65 A flex shaft

Maltby TSW-DRM 50*/54* wedges, Recoil Dart 75 R flex/spinner shaft

Bettinardi Studio Stock #5 putter

Walmart sells Vice products, balls, hats, gloves and bags.  At least my Walmart(Wesley Chapel, FL). So does that mean they are no longer DTC?

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

DTC brands can still branch out to brick and mortar and still be considered DTC since their primary method of distribution is still direct to consumers. 

https://hbr.org/2020/03/reinventing-the-direct-to-consumer-business-model

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Like others have stated, I feel like that its kind of hairsplitting and depends on your interpretation of DTC. I am okay with MGS classifying Maxfli as DTC if they are in the grey area- as long as they include their definition/criteria of DTC

DTC technically refers to the product originator (not necessarily the producer) selling to the consumer directly while bypassing 3rd party retail, wholesale, and/or distribution. The point is to eliminate unnecessary intermediary margins that result in additional retail markup. 

In the case of Maxfli, it is a house brand of DSG and only sold in their retail locations so classifying that as DTC is acceptable because DSG has full control over the marketing/distribution/retail portion of the supply chain. Costco’s Kirkland balls qualify as well. 

Additional to this particular industry, most consider the fact that balls considered to be DTC are produced in independent, white label factories not owned by the originator. The most direct form of distribution in this industry would be purchasing a urethane offering from Acushnet, Bridgestone, or Callaway (all fully manufactured in wholly owned facilities) via their website.

:titelist-small:  TS2 9.5

:titelist-small:  909F2 15.5

:titelist-small:  690.CB 3-PW

:titelist-small:  Vokey SM5 50, 56

image.png.e50b7e7a9b18feff4720d7b223a2013d.png   Works Versa 1W

Everythig get screwed up eventually.

I remember Maxfli as a major premium model made by Dunlop,

just as Top Flite was a major premium model made by Spalding.

Now neither is affiliated with its original source in any way but they're still around as store brands.

Then again, I also remember playing with R&A spec 1.62" golf balls,

so what I remember doesn't matter much any more.

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

On 11/21/2021 at 4:49 PM, tschott said:

I just bought 48 MaxFli Tours for $104.98 - $26.25/dozen with free shipping. Pretty sure they’re the 2021 model as well based on the alignment markings and pricing.

https://www.golfgalaxy.com/p/maxfli-tour-gloss-white-golf-balls-48-pack-21maxu2021mxfltrlgbl/21maxu2021mxfltrlgbl?bopisFilter=false&isaFilter=true

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

On 11/19/2021 at 7:30 AM, Middler said:

You can buy two dozen Maxflis for $60 almost all the time. You can’t get Snell MTBs for $30/dozen even if you buy 5 dozen, and you now pay shipping for Snells - though there’s a Black Friday free shipping promo going on thru 11/29. With several Dicks and Golf Galaxy’s near me, it’s cheaper and more convenient than ordering from Snell.

I recently got two dozen 2021 Maxflis for $40.  Dick's had the $60 deal for two dozen you describe and sent me a $20 coupon so $40 for two dozen urethane golf balls that got excellent reviews from MGS.

I went to the store to pick it up.  Would it have counted more as direct to consumer if I had ordered it from their website and had it shipped to me?  Isn't the key QPR not the method in which I get it?

Edited by HAC
  • :taylormade-small: Sim 2 Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue 6R shaft
  • :taylormade-small:Sim 2 5 wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 5R shaft
  •  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg 0311 Gen 6 Hybrids 3-28 and 31 degrees.
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • image.png.e5dbe8fedd098b46b3fda77752b5beae.png MG4 56.12 with Fujikura Ventus TR Blue Flex: R
  • LAB DF3 putter - 33 inches long, 71 degree lie angle, Accra shaft
  • Bridgestone B X or Titleist Pro V-1x

image.png

image.png