Is Maxfli DTC?

hckymeyer

Is Maxfli a DTC brand for golf balls?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Is Maxfli DTC?

• Yes
    • No

19 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

Maxfli Tour ball is 34.99 at Dicks - same price as Snell MTB-X. Note I've tried the Maxfli - but still prefer Snell. 

You can buy two dozen Maxflis for $60 almost all the time. You can’t get Snell MTBs for $30/dozen even if you buy 5 dozen, and you now pay shipping for Snells - though there’s a Black Friday free shipping promo going on thru 11/29. With several Dicks and Golf Galaxy’s near me, it’s cheaper and more convenient than ordering from Snell.

• Like 1
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B Fit@TrueSpec ER2
  • Maxfli Tour Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT

On 11/17/2021 at 1:21 PM, cnosil said:

I said yes due to the limited market for purchasing Maxfli.   I can actually buy Vice at more retail outlets than Maxfli so do we no longer consider Vice DTC?   

Same here.  I keep hoping to see another skookum deal from DSG's on the Tours but wonder if, with all the materials and inventory shortages, we've seen the last of those?

• Like 1

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

1 hour ago, Middler said:

You can buy two dozen Maxflis for $60 almost all the time. You can’t get Snell MTBs for $30/dozen even if you buy 5 dozen, and you now pay shipping for Snells - though there’s a Black Friday free shipping promo going on thru 11/29. With several Dicks and Golf Galaxy’s near me, it’s cheaper and more convenient than ordering from Snell.

OK great.

Maxfli still isn't a DTC brand.

• Like 1

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:callaway-small: Mavrik Max 10.5* R Flex Evenflow RipTide
:cleveland-small: Hy-Wood
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D200 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact

1 hour ago, russtopherb said:

OK great.

So by your definition, Tesla would also not be a DTC brand because they have retail stores where I can go in and buy cars at?

2 minutes ago, ChitownM2 said:

So by your definition, Tesla would also not be a DTC brand because they have retail stores where I can go in and buy cars at?

Yep.

Snell, Vice, etc all primarily offer their product shipping directly to customers so they can get their product from the manufacturer right at their doorstep. Maxfli has to be purchased via a big box store, whether it's in person or ordering online via their website. Not sure why there's confusion over this other than deliberately trying to be argumentative. 

• Like 1

I don't particularly care one way or the other, I think it's just sloppy work by the MGS crew. It would seem they meant to say, "not one of the big brands" (Cally, Titleist, TM, etc) and "DTC" is convenient short-hand. I can buy balls "direct-to-consumer" from any of the big brands too and you can even get a discount on some of them, like TM, if you subscribe. Fundamentally, for me at least, "DTC" is a business/distribution/sales strategy, not a categorization of a company.

• Love 3

Driver: :cobra-small: RADspeed 9* with Motore X F1 60S
Fun driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 9.5* with 47" Tensei CK White 60S
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 54* :cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Modus3 Tour 115
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Premier 11s, :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago

Ball: Maxfli Tour, ProV1, or TP5x
Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer (2018) in black/white/copper

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots
:SuperSpeed: and Fit for Golf 

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review

7 hours ago, russtopherb said:

OK great.

Who cares? If it’s so important to you, by all means you’re right.

7 minutes ago, Middler said:

Who cares? If it’s so important to you, by all means you’re right.

We care, hence the thread. 

• Like 1

On 11/18/2021 at 6:27 PM, fozcycle said:

Recently I ordered 4 dozen Maxfli Tour yellows an$ they arrived within 2 days…..Believe that is DTC.

Whether I go to Dick's or order online, my price is the same.  So I'll say the primary distribution channel is retail.  I can order gym shorts and tennis rackets on the same order.  The entire order can be picked up locally if in stock. Doesn't seem the same as DTC golf balls, although Vice is expanding to other gear and apparently to other retail or online vendors.

But I'm ok just getting rid of the DTC label.  What does that imply in terms of the ball?  I order Pro-V's in the annual 4-4-3 sale direct.  I would never define them as DTC, but I can decide if I prefer Snell, Srixon, or Titleist, all relative to how they play and how much I am willing to pay.  And all 3 brands have been delivered to my door.

I said it is DTC. Because we all consider Snell DTC and Vice, etc. Vice is sold at walmart for crying out loud. Maxfli is made for and sold by Dicks. Just like Snell is made for and sold by Dean. Its no different. And I would bet Snell has a store front at the headquarters too.

FTR Snell offers a great product from a great company and customer relations are fantastic there. 

Edited by Tyler86
  • Like 1

Mavrik Max Driver

M2 5W

818 hybrids

Steelhead XR Irons

ZipCore wedges

SeeMore PR M7X

I voted "no", but more importantly, I learned from this thread that Maxfli can be considered a Dick's "house brand".  Dick's will never see a dime from me because of the corporate attitude towards another product that I own that begins with the letter "g".

Semper ubi, sub ubi.

11 hours ago, Tyler86 said:

And I would bet Snell has a store front at the headquarters too.

You’d lose that bet, unfortunately. No store front at Snell HQ. 

• Like 1

On 11/17/2021 at 10:51 PM, ChitownM2 said:

If that is the criteria you're measuring by then none of the DTC brands are actually DTC.  There isn't a single one of the "mainstream" DTC companies that manufactures their own balls.  Even Taylormade doesn't yet manufacture their own balls completely as they just bought the factory that makes them for them....

True but there is a big difference in that DSG/GG have actual brick and morter stores that add to the cost vs companies like Vice, Snell, Cut, etc that are strictly virtual.  Having physical stores is something that should be built into the pricing model for Maxfli, which is kind of what makes them so amazing that they can compete on price with the DTC brands but arent truly DTC.

• Like 1

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Wow, yesterday must have been a slow golf news day if we are arguing whether Maxfli is or isn't a DTC brand.😄 As someone else said we are splitting hairs a bit. DTC "to me" means no middle man, the product goes from manufacturer to the consumer without additional mark-ups or additional dollars tacked on to pay for the brick & mortar overhead. I see Maxfli as Dicks & GG's house brand, but since they are technically the manufacturer I guess one could consider it a DTC brand. On the other hand, one could argue that there are additional mark-ups on the ball to account for the overhead of shelf space in a brick & mortar store. Meh, I'm going to get my second cup of coffee now. 

• Like 3

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

Like whether or not a ball is DTC factors in to the buying decision. Price, performance, quality, color, availability yes. DTC or not, no. Some people just like to be "outraged" about every little thing.

Based on the arguments here, Kirkland is also a Direct To Consumer ball.  They only sell through their stores or internet.  You can not buy them at a Pro Shop. Maybe that's the diff.  DTC balls are not sold in Pro Shops???

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max driver | Ping G410 3 & 5 fairway woods | Titleist 818 H1 4 & 5 hybrids | Titleist 718 AP1 irons | Titleist SM9 52F & 56S wedges | Bettinardi BB45 putter | Bushnell NEO Ghost GPS | Snell MTB-X yellow / Titleist Pro V1 yellow ball | GHIN hcp floats between 10 & 12

:ping-small:  :titelist-small: :vokey-small:   :bettinardi-small:   :Snell:   :918457628_PrecisionPro:  :Clicgear:   :footjoy-small:  

"Never bet against an old man with old clubs that have new grips"

Here is how MGS defined them:

• Like 2

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 5-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter: Auditions ongoing 

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787, :seemore-small: mFGP2, logo-horizontal-black.svg Directed Force 2.1

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

This is taking on the life of 'should fittings be free' discussion. While personal opinion of all of our forum members is important and valued, in this case it's not going to change MGS HQ's opinion or the awards.  As someone who was in the DTC (not golf related) business for 25 yrs,  I don't believe believe @Tony C's. definition is accurate. But that's my opinion and BTW I don't dispute Maxfli's, performance. quality and cost.  What matters to me is: would other ball companies have been selected for top quality awards if the definition was different.

• Like 2

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra King F-9  5 wood
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Snell MTB-X  And Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Tester :SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

4 hours ago, CrazyGolfNut said:

Based on the arguments here, Kirkland is also a Direct To Consumer ball.  They only sell through their stores or internet.  You can not buy them at a Pro Shop. Maybe that's the diff.  DTC balls are not sold in Pro Shops???

I would consider Kirkland DTC also.

7 hours ago, russtopherb said:

You’d lose that bet, unfortunately. No store front at Snell HQ. 

🤯

Mavrik Max Driver

M2 5W

818 hybrids

Steelhead XR Irons

ZipCore wedges

SeeMore PR M7X

On 11/18/2021 at 10:49 AM, tony@CIC said:

Maxfli Tour ball is 34.99 at Dicks - same price as Snell MTB-X. Note I've tried the Maxfli - but still prefer Snell. 

Maxfli 2020 is 2 for $60 and 2019 is 2 for $45. Might want to try OnCore they have buy 2 get one free.

• Like 1