Is Maxfli DTC?

hckymeyer

Is Maxfli a DTC brand for golf balls?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Is Maxfli DTC?

• Yes
    • No

57 minutes ago, tschott said:

Maxfli 2020 is 2 for $60 and 2019 is 2 for $45. Might want to try OnCore they have buy 2 get one free.

Think I saw the 2021 Tour 48 box on sale for $104.98 at Dick's. Good price, Good Ball.

• Like 1

Walmart sells Vice products, balls, hats, gloves and bags.  At least my Walmart(Wesley Chapel, FL). So does that mean they are no longer DTC?

Driver: PXG 0211 w/Evenflo Riptide CB Regular shaft 

Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3-4W(16*), 5-6W(20*) both w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft and Patriot 7W w/AccuLaunch 60 by Accuflex

Hybrid: Cobra F8 3 Hybrid(19*) w/Recoil ES regular shaft 

Irons: Wilson D7 5-PW w/Recoil 460 Regular graphite shafts 

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore(50*/54*/58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  

Putter: 33" Evnroll ER2 w/Evnroll Gravity Grip 

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black).  

Pushcart:  Caddytek 3.0 from Costco

Ball: Maxfli Tour CG & Titleist Pro V1x.

DTC brands can still branch out to brick and mortar and still be considered DTC since their primary method of distribution is still direct to consumers. 

https://hbr.org/2020/03/reinventing-the-direct-to-consumer-business-model

• Like 1

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10
Whatever ball I have 3 dozen of that my kids got me as a gift

Twitter: @russtopherb

Like others have stated, I feel like that its kind of hairsplitting and depends on your interpretation of DTC. I am okay with MGS classifying Maxfli as DTC if they are in the grey area- as long as they include their definition/criteria of DTC

DTC technically refers to the product originator (not necessarily the producer) selling to the consumer directly while bypassing 3rd party retail, wholesale, and/or distribution. The point is to eliminate unnecessary intermediary margins that result in additional retail markup. 

In the case of Maxfli, it is a house brand of DSG and only sold in their retail locations so classifying that as DTC is acceptable because DSG has full control over the marketing/distribution/retail portion of the supply chain. Costco’s Kirkland balls qualify as well. 

Additional to this particular industry, most consider the fact that balls considered to be DTC are produced in independent, white label factories not owned by the originator. The most direct form of distribution in this industry would be purchasing a urethane offering from Acushnet, Bridgestone, or Callaway (all fully manufactured in wholly owned facilities) via their website.

:titelist-small:  915D3

:titelist-small:  909F2

:titelist-small:  690.CB

:titelist-small:  Vokey SM5

:ping-small:  iWi D66

Everythig get screwed up eventually.

I remember Maxfli as a major premium model made by Dunlop,

just as Top Flite was a major premium model made by Spalding.

Now neither is affiliated with its original source in any way but they're still around as store brands.

Then again, I also remember playing with R&A spec 1.62" golf balls,

so what I remember doesn't matter much any more.

On 11/21/2021 at 4:49 PM, tschott said:

Maxfli 2020 is 2 for $60 and 2019 is 2 for $45. Might want to try OnCore they have buy 2 get one free.

I just bought 48 MaxFli Tours for $104.98 - $26.25/dozen with free shipping. Pretty sure they’re the 2021 model as well based on the alignment markings and pricing.

https://www.golfgalaxy.com/p/maxfli-tour-gloss-white-golf-balls-48-pack-21maxu2021mxfltrlgbl/21maxu2021mxfltrlgbl?bopisFilter=false&isaFilter=true

• Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B ER2
  • Maxfli Tour Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT

On 11/19/2021 at 7:30 AM, Middler said:

You can buy two dozen Maxflis for $60 almost all the time. You can’t get Snell MTBs for $30/dozen even if you buy 5 dozen, and you now pay shipping for Snells - though there’s a Black Friday free shipping promo going on thru 11/29. With several Dicks and Golf Galaxy’s near me, it’s cheaper and more convenient than ordering from Snell.

I recently got two dozen 2021 Maxflis for $40.  Dick's had the $60 deal for two dozen you describe and sent me a $20 coupon so $40 for two dozen urethane golf balls that got excellent reviews from MGS.

I went to the store to pick it up.  Would it have counted more as direct to consumer if I had ordered it from their website and had it shipped to me?  Isn't the key QPR not the method in which I get it?

Edited by HAC
  • :taylormade-small: Sim 2 Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue 6R shaft
  • :taylormade-small:Sim 2 5 wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 5R shaft
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrids 21 and 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at D4 settings
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • Go back and forth between :cameron-small: Select Newport 2 putter 34 inch length and :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne putter 33 inch length
  • :titelist-small:  Pro V1x (may go to Pro V1 next year) and bought some Maxflis to try out for the offseason