TESTERS WANTED! ×

Mizuno MP-64 versus Callaway Apex Pro 2021 4 - PW set comparison - players irons puzzle

Hi all, players iron question.

Some basic context, I was playing and practicing a lot in 2002 got my handicap down to about five or six with big Bertha Irons then into Max fli revolutions Irons, loved the softness of the revolutions,

then decided I was so good I purchased Mizuno MP 30, had a breakthrough about narrow soles and turf interaction, really started striking the ball well, such sweet contact, however those blades were a battle with toe hits, had to over practice, I also stupidly put X 100 extra stiff shafts which I did regret but it forced me to improve  hitting the center of the clubface, still a lot of toe shots that hurt, 10 to 20% of the time I would lose one half club length, nevertheless got the handicap down to 1.1. Learned to love them,  Then in 2005, all sorts of life problems combined with minor hip injury from over swinging the driver.  Took a break but Just seemed to suddenly stop playing golf..... Did not play another round of golf for 15 years, yikes. But during the lockdown I decided to go by a new set of irons, decided to go with Mavericks cavity backs because I assumed I was probably around the 12 handicap.  But at the last minute settled on the apex regular cavity back, after hitting dozens of clubs at the PGA superstore. So I have been playing with those for a year and 1/2, shooting some 84's but can put together a good nine shoot a 39.  So it is coming back but clubs feel too variable. Not enough feel.

Definitely getting old. joints hurt, sticking with regular shafts driver speed ~98-102  seven iron about 83 mph.

So after practicing I can see that I am a better player than I thought for the last six months I have been definitely missing my blades shaping ability and the narrow sole, the apex constantly feels thick and fat through impact, I have actually come to dislike the apex fat thick sole. 

Decided I was going to buy some more blade like clubs. Some players irons.

So I did two things simultaneously..... now I have a problem.

I picked up a set of MP 64 heads only nearly brand-new after doing two days of research on Google, reading every review ever written on the MP 64's, remind me of my MP 30s, but I think they're even better, arguably one of the best clubs Mizuno ever made. the MP 64 unanimously voted the best feeling, super optimized turf interaction sole designed by working hand-in-hand with dozens of professional golfers in 2003. Number one being Luke Donald.

Then the next few days I went to the PGA superstore to just test some of the new players irons, brought my old clubs to compare, the apex pros 21 interaction with the mat was so clean so beautiful, my apex CF 19's continued to be fat, I hit the sweet spot every single time with the pros could not believe how good the center contact felt, I could not resist. Traded in the apex for the pros.

so now I have two sets of players irons. I have yet to play around with the apex pros, but I sure am enjoying hitting them off the mat. So far.

I am now questioning whether I should bother to assemble the MP 64's, I got a super deal on them at 200 bucks. Nearly brand-new,.

But it looks like another $40 per shaft to get them into perfection so another $200.

I am questioning whether all of the modern technology is such a massive increase versus the MP 64's,

I am actually somewhat convinced the MP 64's still perform in today's game probably very similar to the JPX 921 tour. Perhaps slightly more pain on the toe shots versus the 921 tour.

I really miss my super sweet Mizuno's from 15 years ago. I am craving that old feeling.

I am even considering just getting fitted and buying a brand-new set of MP 20s.

Fun Puzzle to have

anyone still have MP 64's in play?

Cheers

mp 64 2.jpg

Callaway Apex Pro 21 (5-AW)

Callaway Mavrik Driver

Cobra Speed Zone

Callaway Mavrik 5 Wood

Cleveland RTX zipcore sand wedge

Odyssey Rossie White Hot OG Putter 

I still play MP 64's. I have thought about buying new irons for the last 3 years, then I think... why?

I have lost distance, but that isn't the clubs' fault. I'm older now and have nagging shoulder and back problems. Maybe in the near future I will see about new irons to get some distance back, but I still love my 64's.

29 minutes ago, silver & black said:

I still play MP 64's. I have thought about buying new irons for the last 3 years, then I think... why?

I have lost distance, but that isn't the clubs' fault. I'm older now and have nagging shoulder and back problems. Maybe in the near future I will see about new irons to get some distance back, but I still love my 64's.

Those irons are scoring clubs, there is no real requirement for them to go long, good players simply want consistent contact out of every fairway lie.  I remember my Mizuno seven iron traveled exactly 152 -155 yards when struck perfectly.  When I mishit it it went 148 yards.

Basically if I had the seven iron in my hand I was putting a 15-20 footer for birdie, almost felt like a robot seven iron, never went long. hit and stop.

That is what a good player wants from an iron. Predictability and greens in regulation.  

I have been playing with guys that go.... look I can hit my seven iron (31 degrees of loft) 180 yards ± 30.......      Good for you.

I do feel like the technology has not changed very much.... several clubs look identical to the 64, copy the best, even today.

Cheers 

back.JPG

srixon-z-785.png

Callaway Apex Pro 21 (5-AW)

Callaway Mavrik Driver

Cobra Speed Zone

Callaway Mavrik 5 Wood

Cleveland RTX zipcore sand wedge

Odyssey Rossie White Hot OG Putter