Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Are you over-thinking the game?

Mental Game  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Are you over-thinking the game?

• Yes
    • No

If I look back in time, I had the usual mind clutter most golfers have. Swing thoughts, don't top it, don't get in the sand trap. Don't go in the water. Keep the ball on the green below the hole and so on and so on. In the last few years as my handicap dropped way down it seems that everything just went away. I don't think about anything during the swing. I line up my direction from behind the ball. Pick a spot I want to hit. Step up beside the ball and take one practice swing. Step in and swing. Same on the putting green. I believe that once you have a repeatable swing and you know what the ball is going to do, the stress and over thinking goes away. This allows a free swing and therefore good results (for the most part).  I can't tell you when it happened but all I know is it happened sometime over the past two to three years and my game changed and my handicap went down big time. Saying that the mental part of the game is a big part is true. If I had to put a number on it I would guess it is equivalent to an additional six strokes on your handicap. It was for me at least. From roughly a 6 to now a .6 in a few years with no increase in practice and playing once a week. Two if I'm lucky. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

There is another thread about most difficult par of the game and I said mental.   If you  have done the DECADE foundations you hear that the mental aspect of the game is where people struggle; specifically staying focused for 18 holes and making decisions Lou Stagner talks about expectation management which in my mind is part of the mental game and about not being disappointed with results.   I know when I hit a bad short game shots struggle mentally to regain composure and execute the next shot.  As @Tom the Golf Nutmentioned the mental game can cost you lots of strokes on the course.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Golfers have unique personalities, at least the ones who play the game for long periods of time. We are always fighting ourselves, most are type A personalities, and a good portion are analytical. Add all this up along with a game that you can never master and you have the constant thoughts or what ifs or whatever. IMO the key to this is separating all the thoughts and questions for the actual execution of the shot. I believe that for most people to stop the thought train is almost impossible. However having that same train while trying to execute is not usually a recipe for success. There are a couple of things that I have implemented recently that have helped stop the thoughts, if only for long enough for me to swing. Pre shot routine is the same, pre-shot thought process is the same, however when I am getting into the shot my only thought is react to the target. I am not 100% of course, however I have seen that the results are getting better and the after shot thought process is more about the next shot versus the thoughts I had when I hit it good or bad. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

Sam Snead once said something to the effect of, "Give me a big dumb man with big hands, and I'll turn him into a golfer." Sometimes when I hit a poor, or poorly advised, shot, I'll actually say out loud, "I'm too smart for this game."

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

I think there's a couple of issues at play here, and I'm not sure how best to parse them so I'm just going to go in a bit and I hope you all follow.

Do I "overthink" on the golf course, I don't think I do and to be honest, I think outside of the rare Bryson type, I don't anyone does for a full round of golf. When I hear the word overthink, I think of someone who is trying to be smartest in the room or someone who gets to be too cute for their own good in how they are attacking things. From time to time do I potentially get too cute when the simple action is the best, yeah, but it never takes over for the whole round.

I think the bigger issue, and the one brought up by @cnosil, that I we all lose focus through a round. I'm incredibly guilty of it. Hell, it's part why of why when I went through my iron fitting I wanted to get into something that stimulated my brain into shots and set-up instead of something big and bulky like the G710's I was using.

Another point in this is that we become very results oriented as we golf since at the end of the day we care about the score we post. As such, and again, brought up by @cnosil, we shift expectations to an untenable state, especially comparing ourselves to the contemporaries we see on television or even those better players at our local club.

So I guess that's my take on this question? Are we overthinkers, by and large no, but we are under focusers and idealists when discussing our games.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

2 hours ago, Berg Ryman said:

I think there's a couple of issues at play here, and I'm not sure how best to parse them so I'm just going to go in a bit and I hope you all follow.

Do I "overthink" on the golf course, I don't think I do and to be honest, I think outside of the rare Bryson type, I don't anyone does for a full round of golf. When I hear the word overthink, I think of someone who is trying to be smartest in the room or someone who gets to be too cute for their own good in how they are attacking things. From time to time do I potentially get too cute when the simple action is the best, yeah, but it never takes over for the whole round.

I think the bigger issue, and the one brought up by @cnosil, that I we all lose focus through a round. I'm incredibly guilty of it. Hell, it's part why of why when I went through my iron fitting I wanted to get into something that stimulated my brain into shots and set-up instead of something big and bulky like the G710's I was using.

Another point in this is that we become very results oriented as we golf since at the end of the day we care about the score we post. As such, and again, brought up by @cnosil, we shift expectations to an untenable state, especially comparing ourselves to the contemporaries we see on television or even those better players at our local club.

So I guess that's my take on this question? Are we overthinkers, by and large no, but we are under focusers and idealists when discussing our games.

Yea, that's an interesting perspective on the subject.  Regarding the unfocused part, I think that actually helps me move away from the too serious, over thinking part.

4 hours ago, THEZIPR23 said:

Golfers have unique personalities, at least the ones who play the game for long periods of time. We are always fighting ourselves, most are type A personalities, and a good portion are analytical. Add all this up along with a game that you can never master and you have the constant thoughts or what ifs or whatever.

Guilty as described 🙂.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Funny!! I am enjoying the Game more!! Why > have stopped writing my Score Down on the Scorecard!!  Now; do have a good idea what I shot on a Hole. I know!!

But the reality is the Score is the outcome!! Not the process!!. "One Shot at a Time" Counts!! 

Yep; still have the odd Bad Hole. Probably more "odd"!! 

But, a saying got my attention [as in the 51/2" to 6" between the Ears] "WIN" resonated with me!!

"What's Important Now" is got me playing better & Laffing more!!

Cheers. b

I don't keep score any more either. If you play all the time, year round, over thinking golf would be a buzz kill. I don't have to worry about a bad round today because tomorrow or the next day will be different. I think if you play only on the weekend, like I did when I started, the round meant way more to me because I would have to live with it for a week. So in that case, I made sure to really be committed to every shot, living and dying based on the result. We all know where that leads. Golf is a game, we aren't making money at it, it needs to be fun. And fast, please play fast. So ya, not overthinking the game.                                                                                                                         

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

Several years ago I stopped thinking/worrying about the process & results. Instead, it became:  ‘Swing the club, hit the ball, find it — Do it again.’  As scores dropped, it became more enjoyable. Still keep the stats which reveal what I actually need to improve rather than what I assumed/thought was important. Using the LSW shot analysis & recommendations have been made the day-to-day that much easier ….

Driver:    :tour-edge: E523. Offset. A-Light. 12’

Fairway: :callaway-logo-1:  Big Bertha. A-Light. 16.0’

Hybrid:    :tour-edge:  E523. Offset. A-Light. 4H-22’

Hybrid:    :tour-edge:  E523. Offset. A-Light. 5H-25’

Irons:        :callaway-logo-1:  Big Bertha. A-Light. 6-7-8-9-PW-AW.

Wedge:    :cleveland-small: CBX-Zipcore. Wedge. 50’

Wedge:     :cleveland-small: CBX-Zipcore. Wedge. 54’

Putter:        :taylormade-small:Spider. Tour III

Yes sir. I generally do. I have been trying more this past year not to let mishits mess my mind up. Same goes for the "thoughts". One thing that has helped me is after getting a hip replacement a year ago Sep 90 % of my rounds are walking. That extra time walking to my ball you'd think would fill my head with all that garbage but enjoying the world around me has help relax me. I think that is the key for me. Better relaxation.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

I dont “over think” it. Im not sure you CAN over think it. Smart golf usually leads to good score cards. I DO however frequently have a cluttered mind thats filled with fear and worry, which gets me in trouble 🤣. I think the “hit ball, find ball, repeat” method works because you are calm and not worried, not that you arent over thinking it. But 🤷‍♂️

Mavrik Max Driver

M2 5W

818 hybrids

Steelhead XR Irons

ZipCore wedges

SeeMore PR M7X

Sometimes it helps to remember that there's really no such thing as a backswing and a downswing, there's just a swing. I played hockey, and it never occurred to me to break down a slapshot into separate parts. You just hit the puck. Same with golf, just hit the  ball. You can break things down and look at positions in practice, but when playing, it's best to think about nothing but the desired flight and the clubface hitting the ball.

Driver: :tour-edge: c721 9.5 / HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Irons: :taylormade-small:P7MB 3-PW, Project X IO 5.5, 1.5 flat
Wedges: Hogan Equalizer II, 52 standard V sole, 58 Texas Grind
Hybrid: :callaway-small: FT 20 degrees
Fairway: :tour-edge: c721 5-wood / HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Putter: EVNROLL ER2 Black

Rule #1...never think while playing. Keep your mind a blank.

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

14 hours ago, Riverboat said:

Judging by the posts on this site, I certainly think most of the people here are overthinking... and overly technical. My God, guys shooting in the 90s who are trying to focus on 7 different positions in the swing, worrying about overpronation, using launch monitors to try to "perfect" launch angle, and so many other things that just clog up their natural abilities. Master the basic fundamentals, grip, alignment, stance, and basic swing path, then aim it and let fly until you are shooting reasonable scores. 

And... One swing thought only on the course please. And speed up... slow play will not improve your game. It's what gives you the time to overthink.

Ha, LOL.  To be clear, I'm not suggesting that understanding and working on swing mechanics, to improve ball striking and scoring, isn't worth the time, but rather that doing so can get in the way.  I agree that a nice steady pace of play helps me play better.  

22 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

We've heard many times that at least 90% of our game is played between our ears.  When one stops to think about the myriad of conscious and subconscious things we do preparing for and executing a shot or putt, it's a wonder we're not all in rooms with padded walls. Since arriving in AZ last month for our winter season, I have been playing the best golf I can recall.  Now I do have the new irons, new putter, and new driver shaft, and it could be that it just took a few months for those to hit full stride - but I'm thinking it's more my recent decision to try not to over-think, over analyze my shots.

I cannot recall which pro interview it was where he discussed "freeing his mind of the clutter" and allowing the more "natural, free swinging" part of his skills back onto the course... but it resonated with me.  Since retiring in 2016, finding MGS in 2018, and playing lots more golf, I have read lots of tips and advice aimed at improving our game.  Some have really been helpful and others not so much.  But this particular comment really got me thinking that perhaps I've fallen too far into the over-thinking side of the balance.  Rather than step into a shot/putt worrying about not executing it correctly, I'm now expecting that I will.  Instead of thinking through a long pre-shot checklist, just trying to think less and trust your ingrained memory and muscle/moto skills will be there.

My last three rounds have all been sub 80 and yesterday's 76 my best of the season and near lifetime best.  I'm hoping this level of play continues and that my effort not to let all the conscious and subconscious swing things get in the way.

What are your thoughts on this?

I certainly used to but I dont anymore.  I think that much of it has to do with me starting a daily Buddhist practice, daily meditation and learning the way that my mind works.  Im able to tune out much more of the negative self talk, overanalysis, worrying and other mental clutter and just believe in myself and swing the freaking club.

I often remember the line in the movie, "The Legend Of Bagger Vance", where he says something along the lines of how playing good golf is all about being able to stop thinking without falling asleep.  I like that and its a mantra that Ive tried to emulate.

I dont care about new equipment (its cool and all but its not something that I feel that I need any more), I dont care what the pros are playing and I dont care about swing tips.  I mean, the best swing tip that you could ever get is to stop listening to swing tips. LOL

I just show up  at the course with whatever swing I have that day, play with what Ive got that day and I let the rest go.

I would say that for anyone who struggles with the mental side of the game, meditating can be hugely beneficial.  Its not all that difficult either and theres really nothing spiritual or mystical about it.  Meditation is little more than learning how to notice your thoughts and let them go without clinging to them.  You certainly may have spritual or mystical experiences while meditation but even those arent something that you should seek out or cling to and those too you simply let go.  Meditation is all about learning how to accept the present moment with no clinging or judgement.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

12 hours ago, wtcaldwell73 said:

I read "Golf Is Not a Game of Perfect", and it changed my golfing life!

I'm going to look for that one.

Wouldn't we all just love to step up and swing? I suspect some can pull it off. Others can't, that why there's golf instruction. With that said, what prevents me from just swinging my swing, is the thought that the downswing must start from the ground up. I have difficulty with this. But, still believe in it. What do you think? Must the swing start with a lower body part (feet, knees, hips up to the core, shdrs. arms, club etc)

Edited by NC Golfer

5 hours ago, NC Golfer said:

Wouldn't we all just love to step up and swing? I suspect some can pull it off. Others can't, that why there's golf instruction. With that said, what prevents me from just swinging my swing, is the thought that the downswing must start from the ground up. I have difficulty with this. But, still believe in it. What do you think? Must the swing start with a lower body part (feet, knees, hips up to the core, shdrs. arms, club etc)

you can swing however you want but sequencing correctly makes the swing work better.   would you start a ball throwing motion from anywhere other than the ground?  you can do it but cant throw it very far. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

I’m a chronic over-thinker in life: I try not to duplicate that on the golf course.  Over time I’ve learned to turn off my brain before I step into a shot: I never thought about my form or footwork while  throwing a football or shooting a free throw in a game, practice was where I thought about technique.  I try to bring that idea to the course. Once I begin to take the club back I want to be an athlete, not a thinker. 

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

I WILDLY over think the game while typing at a laptop.

On the course, I have a worse habit.

I often take thinking completely out of the equation when a little might help.

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

Not at all. And maybe that is why I feel so level headed on the golf course. It’s just me versus the score card. I haven’t been subjected to online lessons / YouTube instructors / or people who have this one size fits all secret to sub 70 golf mojo. 

im from the school of take what you have to the course and learn thru playing the game. Versus, taking endless lessons with little to no return on investments 

would have to add that if one was going to go down analyzing this game heavily. And you had a swing coach. My suggestions would be will this work lead to straighter shots / longer drives / and most importantly lower scores. If not , or if the process is years and years of getting ideal golf camera positions. Than my answer would be why bother. That really isn’t golf. Having a perfect looking golf swing never has any factor on what scores are on the card 

Swing thought(s) = swing through the ball and tempo

Motto = I'm not good enough to think on the golf course

Driver:  Ping G425 Max (10.5º; Regular )

Fwy:  Cobra King SZ (3; Regular); Ping G410 (5; Regular)

Hybrids: Ping G410 (22º and 26º; Regular)

Irons: Cleveland Launcher XL (6-U)

Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 (54º/12º), and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 (58º/8º)

Putter:  Ping Karsten Anser X

Know what?? I do not like timing of year end as people start accusing me of "How To Golf" Reading & Thinking. & that Sport's Fans is a scary thought.!!

Like a few people here I played Hockey & even played in MLG & sometimes I scored & sometimes I didn't. I just learned to play Smarter

& sometimes it worked & sometimes it didn't.  Took me awhile, from having Hair to not having, to recognize "WIN" as in "What's Important Now"!!

That has brought me smiling & Ah-Ching!! Ah-Ching!!

Happy Holidays!!

& Stay Safe. 

b

This is one of those questions that has a binary conclusion built into the answer and as a result may or may not add any identifiable value to one’s game.

To start what does overthink even mean? Is it time spent over the ball or is it the time spent getting ready to get over the ball and all the other things pre address?

Do the pros and their caddies overthink when they discuss a shots a half dozen environmental inputs, club choices and trajectory options?

So what is the problem that you think needs solving  and that the question begs an answer for ? Slow play, inconsiderate etiquette, wrong or wasteful thinking or ……?

Overthinking is a huge part of many games, myself included. I am a fan of listening to the Par Train. They talk a lot about the mental aspect, as I believe it's a big part of Evan's work background. I often start the day pretty quiet, and the noise gets louder. I think the majority of everyone's handicap could drop multiple shots (depending on current handicap) if we could all think less. I agree with a comment above. I've recently played with a 15 who thinks he can shoot at the flag stick every time. I'm about a 5 with 35 years golf experience and have found the more I play, the worse it gets. 

When my wife asked if I wanted to leave Maine and move to where she grew up, I couldn't say no to Pinehurst, NC. I honestly don't spend much money on golf equipment, but I'm constantly reading reviews in case I ever get ready to buy

I swing left handed and have been the State of Maine Left Hander's champion since 1997, the last year they held the tournament. I'm currently a 7.1 handicap. Trying to get lower, but my gut gets in the way.

WITB

Driver: image.png.2a9745c9eca1e1dcd4c3ecfd5b2823e3.png Epic speed 9 degree

Irons: :titelist-small: 990's S300 Stiff shafts bought when I was in college. (Received a personal use discount, otherwise would've stuck with my Hogan Edge's)

3 Wood: :callaway-small:  Epic speed 15 degree or image.png.188f225bd9daa89b3976cdaa079d23d0.png PT15

52/56/60 :taylormade-small: Z Spin wedges (heck of a deal $100 for all 3 at Dick's in 2013)

Putter: :odyssey-small: OG Rossie

image.png