TESTERS WANTED! ×

MGS Sourced Ball Fitting - you decide

Thin2win

26 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Maybe I will be in the minority,  but I am leaning toward the Vice Pro.   Pretty close with the V1,  but I think that one driver swing really skews the data.  I like the higher launch which I think works better at your swing speed.  Wedges were pretty much equal.  

Dropping the one crazy low spin vice and the one high spin pro v, the Vice averages a little more spin, which doesn't bother me. Both might be a little low for target spin. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

Short game? Nothing in it (IMO). But the driver data is really interesting. This may be an unpopular opinion, but I like the TP5x here... From a fitting perspective, I wouldn't want to see driver spin under 2000. (And frankly, closer to 2200 would be more stable and give you some forgiveness on high-toe strikes.) Yes, you can get some bombers, but you can also get knuckleballs. This is why I can't game the VeroX1. It can go a mile. But, for me, it's so low-spin, it can also fall out of the sky. 

I actually think 7i data would be a great tie-breaker here. If you like the ProV1 or the Vice Pro and get great numbers on everything except driver, I would throw a couple pieces of lead tape on the trailing edge of your driver and see if you don't get better spin numbers and a more stable flight. 

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

13 hours ago, Thin2win said:

Dropping the one crazy low spin vice and the one high spin pro v, the Vice averages a little more spin, which doesn't bother me. Both might be a little low for target spin. 

I’ve played the pro plus all year and have found it to have good green side pin and be quite long off the tee with my driver. It seems a little forgiving with the every know and then high fade with driver or long irons

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

12 hours ago, greggarner said:

Short game? Nothing in it (IMO). But the driver data is really interesting. This may be an unpopular opinion, but I like the TP5x here... From a fitting perspective, I wouldn't want to see driver spin under 2000.

See, this I think is the danger sometime of fitting in a launch monitor exclusive environment. We get so stuck on reaching optimum numbers we sometimes chase those instead of playability. If you can tolerate the spin off the driver and feel like you're getting enough out of the club, I'd say the choice here is actually Pro V1 looking at all the driver numbers, super efficient and much quicker off the driver, but all the balls have benefits, it depends on which of those is most important to you.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

Clearly all three of these are good choices however, until you can move this test to the course and see if any stand out, I'd go with the VP and put the savings towards beer 👍.  As I've mentioned in some of the How Did You Play posts, I often play a two ball format when going solo and match one ball vs. another.  I find it a great way to compare balls. 

Also, as a few have pointed out to me in various "which ball" threads, and the Titleist on-line ball fitter told me, the best test is making 40-60 yard shots onto the green.  I spent a little time last spring doing this, comparing the PV1, AVX, Maxfli Tour, CS, and Velocity.  I ultimately came to the conclusion the differences are so subtle all work just fine... as do a handful of others.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

4 hours ago, Berg Ryman said:

See, this I think is the danger sometime of fitting in a launch monitor exclusive environment. We get so stuck on reaching optimum numbers we sometimes chase those instead of playability. If you can tolerate the spin off the driver and feel like you're getting enough out of the club, I'd say the choice here is actually Pro V1 looking at all the driver numbers, super efficient and much quicker off the driver, but all the balls have benefits, it depends on which of those is most important to you.

Totally agree with you and I think we're saying the same thing. I wouldn't ever go 'all-in' on a ball just because of the launch monitor numbers, but it would tell me what to watch out for once it's on-course. Of course, capturing the strike location data with a launch monitor would help to get a better apples-to-apples comparison. A ball consistently reading under 2000 rpm off the big stick is probably going to have some bombs, which might initially seem like a positive. But the HUGE ball speed discrepancies makes me wonder about strike location in this small sample. If the ProV1 was struggling to get to 2000 rpm with dead-center strikes while the TP5x was "high spin" but they were low/heely strikes, the on-course evaluation of these balls could provide some really interesting insight. The ProV1 might be the 'bomber' dead-center and then just fall out of the sky as soon as you catch it slightly high-toe. The TP5x might look like it's 10 yards short until you catch one centered and suddenly its launch and spin is more optimized for your game and it's 20 yards better than the ProV1 that knuckled. 

So yeah. On-course, real-world testing over multiple days in as much variety of conditions as you can get is totally the way to go. And the information provided from a launch monitor helps provide additional context as to 'why' we're seeing what we're seeing. 🙂 

Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)

Tested:

2 hours ago, greggarner said:

Totally agree with you and I think we're saying the same thing. I wouldn't ever go 'all-in' on a ball just because of the launch monitor numbers, but it would tell me what to watch out for once it's on-course. Of course, capturing the strike location data with a launch monitor would help to get a better apples-to-apples comparison. A ball consistently reading under 2000 rpm off the big stick is probably going to have some bombs, which might initially seem like a positive. But the HUGE ball speed discrepancies makes me wonder about strike location in this small sample. If the ProV1 was struggling to get to 2000 rpm with dead-center strikes while the TP5x was "high spin" but they were low/heely strikes, the on-course evaluation of these balls could provide some really interesting insight. The ProV1 might be the 'bomber' dead-center and then just fall out of the sky as soon as you catch it slightly high-toe. The TP5x might look like it's 10 yards short until you catch one centered and suddenly its launch and spin is more optimized for your game and it's 20 yards better than the ProV1 that knuckled. 

So yeah. On-course, real-world testing over multiple days in as much variety of conditions as you can get is totally the way to go. And the information provided from a launch monitor helps provide additional context as to 'why' we're seeing what we're seeing. 🙂 

Just given that I was hitting the cut I was trying to hit with the tp5x, I can tell you that yes, hitting it pretty center, but heel biased. 

Prov was pretty dead center. 

I have 1 real issue with the Vice Pro right now, I've been playing the red ones for the last year, but the red is staining my hitting screen. I now have little pinkish marks on my screen! If the VP comes out in the end, I'll have to get plain white ones for sim use. 

I've played the Vice Pro shot for shot with the TP5X on the course a few times this fall, and put up good scores with both. 

I think my real overall goal here is to find a few balls that I'm happy with how they come off my driver, definitely don't want low spin rockets. Then compare those on 50 yard shots. 

Right now, my personal feedback is I like the CSXLS and the VP/TP5X. 

I still have a list of balls to go through, ZStar, Q-star, Maxfli Tour X, current Costco ball, I've heard rumor that someone is sending me some Snell MTB and MTB-X's to try. 

This doesn't replace final verdict of on course testing, but it does help paint the picture. Had I got those samples of tp5x and Prov 1 on the course of be convinced that the prov1 was 20 yards longer for me. 

WITB:

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

19 hours ago, greggarner said:

100% Greg, I think we just came at it from two different sides of a similar coin to be honest. 

Now @Thin2win, I see that so far you're liking the winner from group 1, and a couple from group 3, curious as to what slightly is turning you off from Z Star XV, the winner of Group 2?

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

SIK Golf Flo-C

43 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

100% Greg, I think we just came at it from two different sides of a similar coin to be honest. 

Now @Thin2win, I see that so far you're liking the winner from group 1, and a couple from group 3, curious as to what slightly is turning you off from Z Star XV, the winner of Group 2?

Nothing really, it's definitely going to the next round. The next round will be a lot more shots in the sample size, shooting for 40 shots with each on driver, so multiple range sessions, 5 shots each ball and rotating through them repeatedly. I'm also keeping all my bad shots in, because I think any of these balls are going to do good things on good swings. 

I don't remember how far any of the balls in the test have gone, spin has been the number I've been playing the most attention to.  In my head I was looking for driver spin in the 2150-2350 range. I know that when I get below that range my bad swings become penalty stroke lost balls. Significantly above that I'm probably losing more distance then I want on good hits. 

Mid Iron I'm just looking for a consistent carry and stopping. Don't really care if it stops with spin or decent angle, but I don't want to hit the middle of a green and watch the ball to roll off the back. 

Wedge, just consistency. 

WITB:

I think you could flip a coin on those numbers. I would say go out on the course and see how they feel/react around the greens & putting to make the determination. Put them in order and then base cost per ball to beers you need... haha.

I didn't look but do the ball performances for you compare relatively to what the ball testing showed? Curious on that- I've been playing around with the ProV, AVX and Maxfli Tour- AVX is softer around the greens but doesn't quite hit and stop as I have played for so many years. It feels softer on all shots but don't like how it performs for me around the green. It's almost impossible for me to tell the difference between the ProV & Tour though on all aspects, I'm simply not good enough. I started playing the Tours being cheaper new than "mint" of the others. I've beat it to death before I lose it on the courses I play.

David

:taylormade-small: SIM 9* - Hzdrus RDX Black 70

:taylormade-small: M1-3HL- Hzdrus RDX Blue 70

:callaway-small:     Steelhead 7WD RCH99

:bridgestone-small: J15 CB 4-pw C-Taper Lite

:benhogan-small:Equalizer Wedges 50*-54*-58* V- Tour

:seemore:- M3W

Okay all, a little different game for you this week. One you all remember from 3rd grade. Simple matching.

Your Options are:

20211209_162837.jpg.98e6f95f78c7a73548cd7de5a46cb8c4.jpg

Vice Pro Soft, Noodle, Q-Star Divide, Kirkland 3P, Maxfli Tour X Matte

And your data set for 100y(ish) wedge shots:

1043425664_ballcomp.PNG.59d0fa818499012628c26589523120a6.PNG

I'm fairly confident that you all are smart enough to instantly identify 3 of them. I think 2 are blind guesses.

Cheers all.

WITB:

So Purple is the Noodle... and the top two spinners are the Kirkland and Maxfli I think though not sure which is which yet and probably won't know until the iron test. Then it's super close between Q Star and Pro Soft... hrrrm

SIK Golf Flo-C

Green is Kirkland

Blue is Maxfli

Yellow is Q Star

Red is Noodle

Green is Vice

What did I win?

22 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Green is Kirkland

Blue is Maxfli

Yellow is Q Star

Red is Noodle

Green is Vice

What did I win?

you have 2 greens, and 1 correct, I don't even know if in today's 3rd grade you would get a participation ribbon 🤣

WITB:

15 minutes ago, Thin2win said:

you have 2 greens, and 1 correct, I don't even know if in today's 3rd grade you would get a participation ribbon 🤣

Oop's, I meant Purple = Vice.  But, according to Seattle School District's most recent grading standards, my answer is correct either way 👍

Here is some 7i data to help guide you. Peak height not shown on this, but they all were 29y +/- 1 y, so nothing really there.

86529670_7iballcomp.PNG.2b0d45951bfab1c039dc1eefb5a3543c.PNG

1879380769_7iclub.PNG.d246bbe4035fea00df5ea9b02be26439.PNG

WITB:

Gotta think green is the k-sig. High-spin on both. My knee-jerk was Noodle for fuschia but the 7i has me wondering about blue... I'll go with Vice for yellow and QST for blue. (watch. They'll be flip-flopped. 😑)

Which leaves red. Must be maxfli?

Tested:

1 hour ago, greggarner said:

Gotta think green is the k-sig. High-spin on both. My knee-jerk was Noodle for fuschia but the 7i has me wondering about blue... I'll go with Vice for yellow and QST for blue. (watch. They'll be flip-flopped. 😑)

Which leaves red. Must be maxfli?

Your perseverance has paid off, you sir have correctly identified the entire set. After the near misses you have had you were due. 

WITB:

All the work you've put into this has left me with one clear takeaway and definitive correlation to Tony's results... Kirkland Signature will no longer be amongst the handful of those I play.  It also suggests no one ball stands out as the best match for your game.  You'll need to consider durability and cost.

3 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

All the work you've put into this has left me with one clear takeaway and definitive correlation to Tony's results... Kirkland Signature will no longer be amongst the handful of those I play.  It also suggests no one ball stands out as the best match for your game.  You'll need to consider durability and cost.

I'm not sure what the Kirkland is going to do on driver day, but just in numbers I don't have any issues with it through wedge and iron. In the subjective "feel" category, it is the worst sounding/feeling ball I've hit in the entire test. Sounds like hard plastic when it gets hit, too the point where I thought I mishit the first half dozen shots I took with it before realizing that is just how that ball is. 

WITB:

3 hours ago, Thin2win said:

I'm not sure what the Kirkland is going to do on driver day, but just in numbers I don't have any issues with it through wedge and iron. In the subjective "feel" category, it is the worst sounding/feeling ball I've hit in the entire test. Sounds like hard plastic when it gets hit, too the point where I thought I mishit the first half dozen shots I took with it before realizing that is just how that ball is. 

Just for fun...  Do you want to compare it to the original Ksig?  I have some.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

3 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Just for fun...  Do you want to compare it to the original Ksig?  I have some.

I have a dozen too, but since I can't buy them I didn't see the value to test them. 

WITB:

I'll see how this all ends up, but I'm guessing that there isn't really just a single "best" golf ball. I'm guessing there will be a top tier of best options. At that point, cost /availability /durability /color options will all factor in. Yes, color options, I like colors. 

WITB:

59 minutes ago, Thin2win said:

I'll see how this all ends up, but I'm guessing that there isn't really just a single "best" golf ball. I'm guessing there will be a top tier of best options. At that point, cost /availability /durability /color options will all factor in. Yes, color options, I like colors. 

Don't let their 2 piece construction sway the decision 😉.

image.png.25b3fac0e37d3150f233b52034908bc8.png

I do wish they still had optic yellow and all colors available in a gloss finish.  All kidding aside, I haven't played these that frequently but they do seem to hold their own in my ball vs. ball rounds, nearly won me the long drive cup in a "Hard Rock Challenge", and is responsible for some of my lowest scoring rounds. 

Sadly, it seems Tony has never included the Velocity in any of these head to head robot ball comparisons (maybe next year).  It is in their database however.

image.png.711c529db43ab776e32f78df5f022d3f.png

22 hours ago, pineneedlespro said:

By the time you figure out the best golf ball for your swing (different golf balls react to different golf swings) the golf companies will have a new ball/version on the market then you have to start all over again!

You say that like it's a bad thing 😉

Tested:

4 minutes ago, greggarner said:

You say that like it's a bad thing 😉

It's a good thing.  Chris will know which "on sale" balls to buy 👍.

3 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Chris can whip us with any ball.

Yea, well there is that annoying fact 😐.  

Sorry for the driver delay. I tweaked my back a little over the weekend, and wanted to give it a few days to get happy again before I went on a driver swinging spree. 

I think I'll have it up tomorrow. 

WITB: