TESTERS WANTED! ×

MGS Sourced Ball Fitting - you decide

Thin2win

15 hours ago, dlow206 said:

You want to test these?

E44FD873-C28F-4153-B7D4-F9A2A595779D.jpeg.c955d6157952bee326f4096d72bedb8a.jpeg

0867BAEC-D049-444D-AC86-7B4803A7E0B8.jpeg.1dad550b5994b7057a9c721df784b314.jpeg

This box just brings a tear to my eye.  Long live the Nike One!

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

59 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Chris, how about testing some bottom shelf balls (the ~$20/dozen options) to each other and how they compare to your finalists? 

TM Distance and Rocketballz

Bridgestone e6 and e12

Wilson Fifty Elite and Duo Soft

Pinnacle Rush

Srixon Soft Feel

Callaway Supersoft and Warbird

What parameters would you want to see? 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

7 minutes ago, Thin2win said:

Same as you did for the top shelf balls.  I just think it would be interesting to see how much the data differs particularly distance and spin.  The results might yield a few surprises.  Just how cheap a ball can a low handicap, consistent ball striker, play without giving up meaningful performance?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

@Thin2win - on a more serious note than my Nike post, did you happen to test the Pro v1 left dash? i didn't see it but also haven't looked through every post. 

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

2 hours ago, Thin2win said:

Total cost of ownership when factoring in balls that launch so high they miss the screen and cause structural damage to your home

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

14 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

@Thin2win - on a more serious note than my Nike post, did you happen to test the Pro v1 left dash? i didn't see it but also haven't looked through every post. 

I didn't. mostly because regardless of the data, I wasn't going to play a titliest ball. I get that they are great, but I can't support their sport court habits. I included the ProV1 as I figured it was a good benchmark for many people to compare numbers against.

Just now, greggarner said:

Total cost of ownership when factoring in balls that launch so high they miss the screen and cause structural damage to your home

I have now added a overhanging ceiling protector, so I should be good 😃

WITB:

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

2 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

Same as you did for the top shelf balls.  I just think it would be interesting to see how much the data differs particularly distance and spin.  The results might yield a few surprises.  Just how cheap a ball can a low handicap, consistent ball striker, play without giving up meaningful performance?

So I did test the Velocity, and the results with it I would bet are pretty consistent with that hole grouping of balls. The Wilson Duo 50s might be a bit different given their very low compression. But on driver and 7i, I think the Velocity is every bit as good and basically the same numbers wise as a premium urethane ball. It might even be a little longer on the driver for many given its higher launch lower spin profile. Even with it being lower compression.

The difference is wedges, and again, that is going to comedown to the player and what they are looking for. It has 15-35% less spin then the premium urethane's. If that is what you want, then it is great. If you are looking for spin, or want to be able to hit a shot that has to fly a bunker but then check up... it just isn't going to do it. The other thing I found with ionomer covered balls, is that they do not like being wet at all. Their launch angles sky rocket and their spin drops by almost 40%.

I have a few 2 piece, i do even have a mojo I could test. but being 2 piece, there just isn't much between them other then compression and dimple pattern, and the LM cant check dimple pattern effects.  But generally, the Maxfli Tours are 4 dozen for $110 at Dicks... $27.50 a dozen... thats are pretty good price point for any ball. You can come over and test all the 2 piece balls you want 😃

WITB:

11 minutes ago, Thin2win said:

So I did test the Velocity, and the results with it I would bet are pretty consistent with that hole grouping of balls. The Wilson Duo 50s might be a bit different given their very low compression. But on driver and 7i, I think the Velocity is every bit as good and basically the same numbers wise as a premium urethane ball. It might even be a little longer on the driver for many given its higher launch lower spin profile. Even with it being lower compression.

The difference is wedges, and again, that is going to comedown to the player and what they are looking for. It has 15-35% less spin then the premium urethane's. If that is what you want, then it is great. If you are looking for spin, or want to be able to hit a shot that has to fly a bunker but then check up... it just isn't going to do it. The other thing I found with ionomer covered balls, is that they do not like being wet at all. Their launch angles sky rocket and their spin drops by almost 40%.

I have a few 2 piece, i do even have a mojo I could test. but being 2 piece, there just isn't much between them other then compression and dimple pattern, and the LM cant check dimple pattern effects.  But generally, the Maxfli Tours are 4 dozen for $110 at Dicks... $27.50 a dozen... thats are pretty good price point for any ball. You can come over and test all the 2 piece balls you want 😃

That's interesting about the ionomer cover and wet conditions... what's the physics behind that? 🤔  After the free on-line Titleist fitting (sample) offer last year (or maybe it was 2020?), I started testing approach shots from 60 yards out and trying to see differences in check-up.  I tried the PV1, AVX (fitter recommended #2), and Velocity.  The Velocity was on average a bit further from the divot than the others, but only by 1-2 feet.  Because I tend to hit short of the flag more than long, that can actually help me.

Like you, I hit thin and don't compress the ball.  I do notice with the ZX5's that I get more 8i thru AW shots that spin back a bit (particularly on sloped fronts).  I do tend to take a bit of a divot on those irons, but still thin compared to many. It's kind of cool to see, but not something I care about in shot making.  I don't ever see myself trying to master the land 10+ feet past the hole and zip it back shot.  In fact, I rarely see anyone I play with make shots like that.  

I have never purchased Velocity balls but find them regularly in Montana.  Apparently the guys who wear cowboy boots to/from the course have an affinity for them 😆.

And yes, I completely agree the Maxfli Tour (Tour X) are arguably the best cost to performance ball on the market - for sure on some of the sale offers.  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

@fixyurdivot

If the 2 piece balls work for your short game, then I don't see any reason not to play one. Generality speaking, they are as long or longer off the tee and are a little straighter too. 

When i was testing the Velocity, on 25y yards shots it was right around 2k spin. urethane balls were 2500-3500 on those shots, that is the area with the biggest difference. But as you mentioned, if you leave those shots short more spin probably hurts. 

But on pins just over a bunker or water, I think urethane balls give you options to get the ball closer. 

WITB:

10 hours ago, Thin2win said:

@fixyurdivot

If the 2 piece balls work for your short game, then I don't see any reason not to play one. Generality speaking, they are as long or longer off the tee and are a little straighter too. 

That's why I stick with either the Q Star Tour or 2 piece balls. I don't generate a lot of spin around the greens and my game is adapted to that. I just like to play a profile of ball that I know what to expect. I like the feel of those balls, and am good with the budget aspect too. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

• 1 month later...

So,  real world got to compare to simulator.  I've gotten a handful of rounds in now that the weather is improving and my on course validation showed that the Srixon Z Star 💎  is the best on course performing ball. The Chromesoft X LS is right there as well and these two my top choices for the year.  It turns out that on the course the extra soon on the driver really does help me out. 

I hit some pure drives on the course with the ZStar and the ZStar 💎.  I expected to walk out and find them in the same basic location,  3 different times the 💎 was 15-20 yards further up.

So,  if I can find them I'll stock up on diamonds for the year

WITB:

11 minutes ago, Thin2win said:

So,  real world got to compare to simulator.  I've gotten a handful of rounds in now that the weather is improving and my on course validation showed that the Srixon Z Star 💎  is the best on course performing ball. The Chromesoft X LS is right there as well and these two my top choices for the year.  It turns out that on the course the extra soon on the driver really does help me out. 

I hit some pure drives on the course with the ZStar and the ZStar 💎.  I expected to walk out and find them in the same basic location,  3 different times the 💎 was 15-20 yards further up.

So,  if I can find them I'll stock up on diamonds for the year

do it before Brooks wins this wee!

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

• 2 weeks later...

I just read through all 12 pages of this - complete and utter delight.  Can't believe the work you put into this - really, really fascinating.  I have been playing the MTB-Black (in bright yellow) and really love it, but also have a box (well, two, technically) of Kirkland's that my wife bought, and it's fascinating to see the differences so well broken down.  I have yet to put them into play at the same time, but I definitely think the MTB wins feel-wise.  Glad I bought the bundle of these.  The Kirkland's are a lot easier to lose, but as my game improves, I'm (thankfully) finding I'm losing way less than even a year ago.  I have several boxes of the Vice Pro as well, and have enjoyed those, and nice to see they kept up with the other balls tested against.

Seriously - congrats on this thread.  Genuinely enjoyable to read through everything. 

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

T2W... really, really good!  I echo all the other's comments and accolades.

Quick question... in an earlier post, you mentioned possibly testing the Triad... did you ever take them for a spin?  

My ball is the Maxfli Tour - though I do have 3 sleeves for the Srixon Diamond... I loved these balls when they came out... then I got hurt, put myself on the injured reserve for 8 weeks, and never put them back in my bag.  I may have to add a sleeve to my bag for the weekend.  I have also played several rounds with the Triad... it is a bit of a different animal... I'm not mad at it.  Just curious of your thoughts on it... especially since you aren't put off by the brand as evidenced by your irons.  

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

1 hour ago, Tiftaaft said:

T2W... really, really good!  I echo all the other's comments and accolades.

Quick question... in an earlier post, you mentioned possibly testing the Triad... did you ever take them for a spin?  

My ball is the Maxfli Tour - though I do have 3 sleeves for the Srixon Diamond... I loved these balls when they came out... then I got hurt, put myself on the injured reserve for 8 weeks, and never put them back in my bag.  I may have to add a sleeve to my bag for the weekend.  I have also played several rounds with the Triad... it is a bit of a different animal... I'm not mad at it.  Just curious of your thoughts on it... especially since you aren't put off by the brand as evidenced by your irons.  

So, I couldn't find a Triad locally. I tried 3 proshops, my local Dicks and the local golf store. Given that, I decided that it was probably not my ball just given the challenge of sourcing it. But, if I do find them, I will try them and throw up some numbers because I am curious.

WITB:

So much has been written on this very subject and so much testing has been done.  Golf Digest just released results of the top golf balls for 2022 which I personally found interesting based on a lot of similarities:  https://www.golfdigest.com/story/golf-ball-hot-list-2022

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 20.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 6-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1s (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

On 11/24/2021 at 8:55 PM, Kenny B said:

I hope you both have a wonderful Thanksgiving and looking forward to playing again together next year.

Bill, having played the Velocity I found the distance off the tee was very good, but it didn't do anything for me after that.  Martha played in a charity tournament for the local VA a couple of months ago and was given a sleeve of Callaway Warbird 2.0 (not the original Warbird which has a soft core) with their logo on it... appropriate!  I found this ball to be just as good, maybe better, off the tee as the Velocity and it surprisingly had decent spin around the green.  Not PV1-like but it stopped much faster than any other 2-piece ball I've tried.  What I liked most about it was that ball trajectory was much higher for my meager swing.

Chris, if you want to give it a try, I'll mail you a sleeve; the 2.0 is somewhat difficult to find... around $18/dozen, but much higher at some places... like Amazon!!

Try the Pinnacle Rush if you like firm, but not too firm, good distance, with decent spin on to the green, with reasonably good check. $19.99 for 15 at PGA SS..I enjoy this ball, as I still lose a few.

Driver-Ping g410 SFT, 3W-Callaway Diablo Octane, Hybrids-Snake Eyes Viper 18*+ 21*, Irons-GigaGolf Reva Hybrid Irons 24*- 46*, Wedges-Cleveland CBX2's 50*54*58*, Putter-Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c