Jump to content

The importance of putting


SweetRichard
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, SweetRichard said:

The most drives you will make in a round is 14.  What are the most putts you will make?

Depends on how close my approach shot is to the hole or how well my wedges are working any given day.

  • Like 2

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree set to +1, Aldila Extreme Green 55 gram R shaft 

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M4 3W (16.5*) 5W (21*) 7W (24*) -- stock R shafts.

Irons: :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBSTour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX2 52,56, 60 degree wedges

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, SweetRichard said:

The most drives you will make in a round is 14.  What are the most putts you will make?

There are lots of aspects of the game that are important and if you aren't good at one of them your scores will suffer.  

Hit drives out of bounds or lose the ball off the tee and you will hit a lot more than 14.    Hit the ball into the hole from off the green and you don't have to worry about putting.  

 

  • Like 4
  • Love 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787

 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, SweetRichard said:

The most drives you will make in a round is 14.  What are the most putts you will make?

For most of us at least twice that if we're putting well.  But, as @cnosilpoints out lots of strokes can be lost in those 14 drives.  I get where you're going with the question though, and can confidently say that most all of my best rounds involve better than average putting.

  • Like 1

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

For most of us at least twice that if we're putting well.  But, as @cnosilpoints out lots of strokes can be lost in those 14 drives.  I get where you're going with the question though, and can confidently say that most all of my best rounds involve better than average putting.

If I say 32 putts, did I have a good or bad score?  How about If I say 38 or 28   Really isn’t enough information in just a number; need to factor in things like proximity to the hole, greens hit, maybe strokes gained, or feet of putts made.  Maybe 38 putts is good if I hit all the greens  if they were big and average proximity was 50 feet from the hole.   What does better than average mean and how do you quantify?   It’s really hard to throw out a single number and make an educated opinion.    
 

I think the point the OP was tying to make is that putting is the most important part of the game because you hit more of them than anything else.  But that really is a false narrative because as I pointed out those 14 drives could be terrible or I could struggle with approach or short game.  We as players can’t score well if we have a glaring weakness and that weakness could be any part of their game.  Just getting better at putting won’t make a significant change in your score unless  your putting is the weakness in your game.  

  • Like 2

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787

 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Just getting better at putting won’t make a significant change in your score unless  your putting is the weakness in your game.

You just made (described) my case... most of the time 😆.  Our AZ groups include two-bits for fewest putts and I usually have a better than average score when I pocket those quarters.

  • Like 3

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

You just made (described) my case... most of the time 😆.  Our AZ groups include two-bits for fewest putts and I usually have a better than average score when I pocket those quarters.

Then go work on your putting!!!!😂

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787

 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, cnosil said:

Then go work on your putting!!!!😂

I can't exactly put my finger on who, but I'm pretty certain at least one other spy has said the same thing.  Now, with @Yellow Ballis dissin my FIR's, I'm starting to develop a complex.

  • Like 4

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

 Now, with @Yellow Ballis dissin my FIR's, I'm starting to develop a complex.

I see the mental part of the game is starting to creap to the surface! Boy your easy to rattle. 

Its so simple. Follow these instructions. Hit a couple more fairways, hit a couple more GIR, and make a few more putts and your a single digit handicap. If you need any more help just let me know. 😃

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, cnosil said:

If I say 32 putts, did I have a good or bad score?  How about If I say 38 or 28   Really isn’t enough information in just a number; need to factor in things like proximity to the hole, greens hit, maybe strokes gained, or feet of putts made.  Maybe 38 putts is good if I hit all the greens  if they were big and average proximity was 50 feet from the hole.   What does better than average mean and how do you quantify?   It’s really hard to throw out a single number and make an educated opinion.    
 

I think the point the OP was tying to make is that putting is the most important part of the game because you hit more of them than anything else.  But that really is a false narrative because as I pointed out those 14 drives could be terrible or I could struggle with approach or short game.  We as players can’t score well if we have a glaring weakness and that weakness could be any part of their game.  Just getting better at putting won’t make a significant change in your score unless  your putting is the weakness in your game.  

I don't think most of us have the game where we only have one weakness.  In any given round any part of my game could be viewed as a weakness LOL. The best rounds are when all parts are working well; the worst rounds are when none of them are working well.  Generally, my putting is one of my strengths.  If it's off, I'm about 6-8 shots worse, assuming of course that the other parts of my game are about normal.  Not a pretty picture when that happens!  It's not a matter of getting better at putting; yes, I practice, but some days the ball just doesn't drop... even for pros.

 

10 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

I can't exactly put my finger on who, but I'm pretty certain at least one other spy has said the same thing.  Now, with @Yellow Ballis dissin my FIR's, I'm starting to develop a complex.

Could have been me.  Sounds like something I would have said after playing with you over the last 3 years.  🤣

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...