TESTERS WANTED! ×

The importance of putting

SweetRichard

1 hour ago, SweetRichard said:

The most drives you will make in a round is 14.  What are the most putts you will make?

Depends on how close my approach shot is to the hole or how well my wedges are working any given day.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

3 hours ago, SweetRichard said:

The most drives you will make in a round is 14.  What are the most putts you will make?

There are lots of aspects of the game that are important and if you aren't good at one of them your scores will suffer.  

Hit drives out of bounds or lose the ball off the tee and you will hit a lot more than 14.    Hit the ball into the hole from off the green and you don't have to worry about putting.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

17 hours ago, SweetRichard said:

For most of us at least twice that if we're putting well.  But, as @cnosilpoints out lots of strokes can be lost in those 14 drives.  I get where you're going with the question though, and can confidently say that most all of my best rounds involve better than average putting.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

48 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

For most of us at least twice that if we're putting well.  But, as @cnosilpoints out lots of strokes can be lost in those 14 drives.  I get where you're going with the question though, and can confidently say that most all of my best rounds involve better than average putting.

If I say 32 putts, did I have a good or bad score?  How about If I say 38 or 28   Really isn’t enough information in just a number; need to factor in things like proximity to the hole, greens hit, maybe strokes gained, or feet of putts made.  Maybe 38 putts is good if I hit all the greens  if they were big and average proximity was 50 feet from the hole.   What does better than average mean and how do you quantify?   It’s really hard to throw out a single number and make an educated opinion.    

I think the point the OP was tying to make is that putting is the most important part of the game because you hit more of them than anything else.  But that really is a false narrative because as I pointed out those 14 drives could be terrible or I could struggle with approach or short game.  We as players can’t score well if we have a glaring weakness and that weakness could be any part of their game.  Just getting better at putting won’t make a significant change in your score unless  your putting is the weakness in your game.  

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

18 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Just getting better at putting won’t make a significant change in your score unless  your putting is the weakness in your game.

You just made (described) my case... most of the time 😆.  Our AZ groups include two-bits for fewest putts and I usually have a better than average score when I pocket those quarters.

21 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

You just made (described) my case... most of the time 😆.  Our AZ groups include two-bits for fewest putts and I usually have a better than average score when I pocket those quarters.

Then go work on your putting!!!!😂

Just now, cnosil said:

Then go work on your putting!!!!😂

I can't exactly put my finger on who, but I'm pretty certain at least one other spy has said the same thing.  Now, with @Yellow Ballis dissin my FIR's, I'm starting to develop a complex.

18 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Now, with @Yellow Ballis dissin my FIR's, I'm starting to develop a complex.

I see the mental part of the game is starting to creap to the surface! Boy your easy to rattle. 

Its so simple. Follow these instructions. Hit a couple more fairways, hit a couple more GIR, and make a few more putts and your a single digit handicap. If you need any more help just let me know. 😃

11 hours ago, cnosil said:

If I say 32 putts, did I have a good or bad score?  How about If I say 38 or 28   Really isn’t enough information in just a number; need to factor in things like proximity to the hole, greens hit, maybe strokes gained, or feet of putts made.  Maybe 38 putts is good if I hit all the greens  if they were big and average proximity was 50 feet from the hole.   What does better than average mean and how do you quantify?   It’s really hard to throw out a single number and make an educated opinion.    

I think the point the OP was tying to make is that putting is the most important part of the game because you hit more of them than anything else.  But that really is a false narrative because as I pointed out those 14 drives could be terrible or I could struggle with approach or short game.  We as players can’t score well if we have a glaring weakness and that weakness could be any part of their game.  Just getting better at putting won’t make a significant change in your score unless  your putting is the weakness in your game.  

I don't think most of us have the game where we only have one weakness.  In any given round any part of my game could be viewed as a weakness LOL. The best rounds are when all parts are working well; the worst rounds are when none of them are working well.  Generally, my putting is one of my strengths.  If it's off, I'm about 6-8 shots worse, assuming of course that the other parts of my game are about normal.  Not a pretty picture when that happens!  It's not a matter of getting better at putting; yes, I practice, but some days the ball just doesn't drop... even for pros.

10 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

I can't exactly put my finger on who, but I'm pretty certain at least one other spy has said the same thing.  Now, with @Yellow Ballis dissin my FIR's, I'm starting to develop a complex.

Could have been me.  Sounds like something I would have said after playing with you over the last 3 years.  🤣

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/21/2021 at 4:46 PM, SweetRichard said:

I realize this is an older post.  I believe putting, and chipping are paramount.  I am working on getting my putts per round down to around 30.  Making more putts less than 6 feet in length is essential.  Pro's are 50/50 from 8 feet, so for me to expect to make an appreciably greater number of  putts over 8' is completely unreasonable.  I can however practice and make more 3,4,5, and 6 footers.  Chipping the ball closer to the hole when I miss the green is the first great step in making more sub 6 footers.

I recently watched a great video.  Can I beat Tommy Fleetwood starting at -10, when he starts even.  Spoiler!!!! They finish even.  It is all about putting.  Tommy birdies a couple with one putts, never 3 putts, and unlike his opponent doesn't miss 2 3 footers and a 4 footer when holing out.  It was an eye opening video for me, and re-affirmed my bettering my score by improving my sub 8 foot putting, and chipping to within 8 foot to give me an opportunity to realistically make a one putt, when I miss the green.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Putter:  :ping-small: Scottsdale Wolverine

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 2H, 3H

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

14 minutes ago, stuka44 said:

I realize this is an older post.  I believe putting, and chipping are paramount.  I am working on getting my putts per round down to around 30.  Making more putts less than 6 feet in length is essential.  Pro's are 50/50 from 8 feet, so for me to expect to make an appreciably greater number of  putts over 8' is completely unreasonable.  I can however practice and make more 3,4,5, and 6 footers.  Chipping the ball closer to the hole when I miss the green is the first great step in making more sub 6 footers.

I recently watched a great video.  Can I beat Tommy Fleetwood starting at -10, when he starts even.  Spoiler!!!! They finish even.  It is all about putting.  Tommy birdies a couple with one putts, never 3 putts, and unlike his opponent doesn't miss 2 3 footers and a 4 footer when holing out.  It was an eye opening video for me, and re-affirmed my bettering my score by improving my sub 8 foot putting, and chipping to within 8 foot to give me an opportunity to realistically make a one putt, when I miss the green.

Hello,

30 putts a round would be an incredible average.  I'm working on getting mine down to 33.  Please see the image below from a MSG article (data borrowed from the Grint).   I only bring this up because setting a goal that's too difficult to achieve can only disappoint.  My current average is just above 35 for last 20 rounds.

pakman92

grint-overall-perf-2

Edited by pakman92
spelling correction
  • 99422724_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.e67bdb8f7e6eea7baa71ca677594bbde.jpgEpic Max LS 11.5° (10.5°+1) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6 stiff
  • 99422724_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.e67bdb8f7e6eea7baa71ca677594bbde.jpgEpic Flash 3 Wood 17° (15°+2) w/ Project X Even Flow Green 60 stiff
  • 943183396_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.391f8ed5e36869c949eb3a241d2a750d.jpgSuper Hybrid 21° (20°+1) w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 80 stiff
  • 518011180_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.f52e8c7ce28e9a854c65b04b28450163.jpgRogue Hybrid 5 (24°) w/ Aldila Synergy 60 HYB Graphite stiff
  •   Screenshot 2021-12-24 002411.jpg2021 P790 Irons 5-AW (1° flat, weakened lofts) w/ Aerotech Steelfiber i95 cw regular
  • 467311891_Screenshot2021-12-24002654.jpg.3c87f11fa77f127a10ed922bdcbbcc69.jpgCBX2 Wedges 54°, 58° w/ True Temper DG 115 Wedge flex
  • 467311891_Screenshot2021-12-24002654.jpg.3c87f11fa77f127a10ed922bdcbbcc69.jpgOdyssey White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab, 33 in
  • 1360869533_Screenshot2021-12-24002835.jpg.38d6fb8915a5bd0b37b4bbec950f4c64.jpgPro V1
  • bushnell_launchpro_logos_medium.jpg.7df9dcd404a46928e3850d1e1335e4e3.jpgBushnell Launch Pro

As mentioned there’s more to it than just the number of putts.

Work on wedge game and short irons if you want to score better

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

18 hours ago, pakman92 said:

30 putts a round would be an incredible average.  I'm working on getting mine down to 33.  Please see the image below from a MSG article (data borrowed from the Grint).   I only bring this up because setting a goal that's too difficult to achieve can only disappoint.  My current average is just above 35 for last 20 rounds.

I agree 30 putts  may be a little lofty realistically.  But I am convinced I can get it to  31 or 32 something.  Since testing the putting matt, which prompted me to begin practicing  putts of about 11 feet  and less (that's about the maximum of the mat), I realize I can make a greater percentage of 3,4, 5, and 6 foot putts in a round.  Last year in 28 entered rounds for stats I was 34.9 putts/round.  Through this year with 44 entered rounds I am 33.6 putt/round.  I attribute a vast majority of that progress to making more 3-7 footers, and 3 putting less, since beginning to actually practice putts (of that distance) after testing the indoor mat for MGS.

I have been putting pretty well since starting to actively practice putts(last 30 or so rounds) of 11 feet(focusing on 3,4,5,&6 foot)  and less.  In the last 9 rounds I have  had 296 putts 32.8 average. In those rounds I had 26 first putts of 4,5, and 6 feet.   8-4', 8-5', and 10-6'.  I one putted 4 times from 4 & 5 feet. and I made 6 of 10 from 6 feet.  If I had made 4 more putts of 4,5, and 6 feet that would be 32.4 putts per round.   Of those 296 putts mentioned in the last 9 rounds 52 of them or 17.5 % began from 7 feet and closer to the cup.  By practicing chipping, and short game I think I can get  this percentage up to around 20-24 %.

I guess I would just say, don't underestimate the impact you can have on your putting regardless of what your handicap is (and we are about the same), by making just a few more 3,4, 5, and 6 footers it will have a bigger impact than maybe you think. Combine that with chipping it to within 6 feet, a little more often,  to have a more realistic chance at a one putt, and I think 31 putts or so/per round is within my grasp.

Edited by stuka44

14 minutes ago, stuka44 said:

I agree 30 putts  may be a little lofty realistically.  But I am convinced I can get it to  31 or 32 something.  Since testing the putting matt, which prompted me to begin practicing  putts of about 11 feet  and less (that's about the maximum of the mat), I realize I can make a greater percentage of 3,4, 5, and 6 foot putts in a round.  Last year in 28 entered rounds for stats I was 34.9 putts/round.  Through this year with 44 entered rounds I am 33.6 putt/round.  I attribute a vast majority of that progress to making more 3-7 footers, and 3 putting less, since beginning to actually practice putts (of that distance) after testing the indoor mat for MGS.

I have been putting pretty well since starting to actively practice putts(last 30 or so rounds) of 11 feet(focusing on 3,4,5,&6 foot)  and less.  In the last 9 rounds I have  had 296 putts 32.8 average. In those rounds I had 26 first putts of 4,5, and 6 feet.   8-4', 8-5', and 10-6'.  I one putted 4 times from 4 & 5 feet. and I made 6 of 10 from 6 feet.  If I had made 4 more putts of 4,5, and 6 feet that would be 32.4 putts per round.   Of those 296 putts mentioned in the last 9 rounds 52 of them or 17.5 % began from 7 feet and closer to the cup.  By practicing chipping, and short game I think I can get  this percentage up to around 20-24 %.

I guess I would just say, don't underestimate the impact you can have on your putting regardless of what your handicap is (and we are about the same), by making just a few more 3,4, 5, and 6 footers it will have a bigger impact than maybe you think. Combine that with chipping it to within 6 feet, a little more often,  to have a more realistic chance at a one putt, and I think 31 putts or so/per round is within my grasp.

I look at your numbers and think you need to think differently.   Total putts is are really difficult number to measure as it doesn't take distance or greens hit into account.   Lets say you average 12 greens per round; which is a pretty good number) and 2 putt all those greens,  that leaves 6 missed greens and if you get up and down 50% of the time you are doing really well (33% is probably a better expectation).  Then you would average 33 putts per round.     Lets say you miss all the greens and get up and down 50% of the time,  you now average 27 putts per round.  Miss more greens and you can get your putt average down.      I totally agree that making more putts inside of 6 feet is a great way to improve and something you should practice.   It is even difficult to measure putts per green and putts per missed green as approach shots and proximity to the hole have a big influence on putting stats.   

As with everything it is hard to come up with a good way to measure performance.  Strokes gained seems to be the best metric out there as it compares your putting against opponents or specific handicap levels.   Ultimately just  looking at a single metric makes it difficult to really assess any part of your game.    

8 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I look at your numbers and think you need to think differently. 

No I agree with you completely.  Trying not making my comment any longer, yes there are many things which influence putts per round, and its not a great measure.  Yes there will be great fluctuations if I hit every green and are 25 feet from the pin, or miss every green and have a great day chipping close to the cup.  My overall point is that all other things in a persons game being more or less equal that chipping a few more balls to within 6 feet initially instead of leaving them at 8-9 feet will greatly increase your make percentage, and practicing those 6 footers will increase it even more.  And making more of the ones which were pre-destined to be within 6 feet to begin with will help further.  I was just responding to the average putts per round based on handicap chart posted.

And the one thing about strokes gained that I believe 100 percent is that YES hitting the ball closer to the hole from any distance is AWLAYS best!

44 minutes ago, stuka44 said:

No I agree with you completely.  Trying not making my comment any longer, yes there are many things which influence putts per round, and its not a great measure.  Yes there will be great fluctuations if I hit every green and are 25 feet from the pin, or miss every green and have a great day chipping close to the cup.  My overall point is that all other things in a persons game being more or less equal that chipping a few more balls to within 6 feet initially instead of leaving them at 8-9 feet will greatly increase your make percentage, and practicing those 6 footers will increase it even more.  And making more of the ones which were pre-destined to be within 6 feet to begin with will help further.  I was just responding to the average putts per round based on handicap chart posted.

And the one thing about strokes gained that I believe 100 percent is that YES hitting the ball closer to the hole from any distance is AWLAYS best!

You are correct, and every player is different in how they get the scores they shoot.  My scores live and die by my ability to chip and putt on a given day.  I am 74 and distance-challenged, but usually in the fairway.  I don't hit many GIR, usually 4-7.  But when I practice chips, pitches and putts seriously, my scores drop.  Over the last several years I worked very hard on my short game because I know I will miss a lot of greens.  If my short game is not on that particularly day, then I shoot mid- to high 80's.  This year I have shot my age for the first time (74 and 71); those days were wonderful and I wish I could do that all the time.  However, we don't always feel the same every day we tee it up.  On good days I have 29-31 putts; bad days 33-34 putts.  Of course, this number goes up when playing an unfamiliar course; it's the main reason my game doesn't "travel well".

What I don't understand about the putting chart by handicap shown above is:  How is grouping players in a handicap range without GIR input beneficial?  Maybe my bad days are my usual putts per round (34) as indicated, and my good days are unusual... but I doubt it.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I agree with the last few posts....I never really look at putts per round as a measure of a good or bad putting for a round.  Too many variables.  I do look at the % of putts made from 6' and in as well as the # of 3 putts.  Those two things generally tell if I have had a good or bad day putting.

Total putts is only important when SWMBO and I are playing total putts for $1. and I swear she aims for the fringe on every hole.  🥺

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

1 hour ago, Shapotomous said:

I agree with the last few posts....I never really look at putts per round as a measure of a good or bad putting for a round.  Too many variables.  I do look at the % of putts made from 6' and in as well as the # of 3 putts.  Those two things generally tell if I have had a good or bad day putting.

Total putts is only important when SWMBO and I are playing total putts for $1. and I swear she aims for the fringe on every hole.  🥺

I don't use 3-putts as a metric because it is so rare and usually only occurs on the first hole when I don't warm up on the green to get the speed for the day.  I don't have many really long putts, but when I do I can get my first putt close enough for a 2-putt.  The only putts for me where I consider a good or bad putting day are putts made/missed from less than 10 feet, and specifically those less than 5 feet.  Because I miss so many greens, I have to chip close to make a par.  If I make most of them, it's a good day; if not... bad day.  It's funny that I seem to have much better luck making the 5-10 footers for a par than for a birdie!😂

Tracking 3 putts also gives a clue into my iron accuracy for the day and speed control for lag putting. 

If I am leaving myself 30+ feet from the pin on approach shots I may have a GIR but it's not really a good iron shot.  If I end up 3 putting from that distance then I am usually way off on speed control.  

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

6 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

Tracking 3 putts also gives a clue into my iron accuracy for the day and speed control for lag putting. 

If I am leaving myself 30+ feet from the pin on approach shots I may have a GIR but it's not really a good iron shot.  If I end up 3 putting from that distance then I am usually way off on speed control.  

If I'm 30+ feet from the pin, I am probably off the green and chipping.

13 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

averaging 30' from 130ish isn't a bad shot.  What distance are you typically hitting into greens to average better than 30'?

23 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

But three putts can come for various reasons. Hit a good first putt from mid range and then lip out the second. Hit a putt a little too hard from 10’ and be above the hole with a slippery down hill.

If you are constantly leaving yourself 30’ on approach shots you could club up if it’s constantly short or club down if it’s constantly long. If it’s 30’ left or right putting isn’t the issue but rather the swing 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

38 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

If you are constantly leaving yourself 30’ on approach shots you could club up if it’s constantly short or club down if it’s constantly long. If it’s 30’ left or right putting isn’t the issue but rather the swing 

We aren't taking into account distance when talking about leaving an approach shot 30' away.  That is a dispersion pattern that 20 yards which really isn't that bad of an average.

https://practical-golf.com/golf-ball-control/

2 hours ago, Kenny B said:

If I'm 30+ feet from the pin, I am probably off the green and chipping.

Some of the shorter holes where I play have real small greens too.  At the opposite end of the spectrum a course near here, Wyncote has some HUGE greens where you could have a 100' putt!  They have a combo green on 1 & 10 that could be even longer than that and also have a dogleg in the putt!  🤣

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

averaging 30' from 130ish isn't a bad shot.  What distance are you typically hitting into greens to average better than 30'?

Generally if I have a 7i i am looking to be within 25'.  That is a 145 - 160 club for me depending on wind, elevation and lie.  8, 9 & pw I hope to be under 20'.  Partial PW, 49*, 53* & 57* (all partial swings) I hope to start at 15' and get inside 10' from about 75 yards and in.  My thousands of backyard wedges are from 65 and in to a 15' x 15' target so that is the reason for the high expectation.  I'm not saying I achieve it all the time but that is my target zone.

I don't have shot tracking data so I'll have to go by memory for the last couple rounds and see what the numbers say.

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

We aren't taking into account distance when talking about leaving an approach shot 30' away.  That is a dispersion pattern that 20 yards which really isn't that bad of an average.

https://practical-golf.com/golf-ball-control/

I read through the article which was interesting.  I had a couple immediate thoughts....

I think it is a mistake to try to compare averages to the tour.  The pin placements, hard greens and slopes purposely make it very difficult to keep a shot near the hole even at their level of shot control.  With the distance they hit the ball that is the only defense for a lot of courses.  

My other thought about his 105 yard sand wedge shot dispersion was he may have better success using the next wedge up and swinging 75 or 80% for more control.  Or maybe he needs to try some wedges with a different bounce....he was all over the place with that thing!  I am guessing that is not his favorite lay up yardage 😁

34 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

Generally if I have a 7i i am looking to be within 25'.  That is a 145 - 160 club for me depending on wind, elevation and lie.  8, 9 & pw I hope to be under 20'.  Partial PW, 49*, 53* & 57* (all partial swings) I hope to start at 15' and get inside 10' from about 75 yards and in.  My thousands of backyard wedges are from 65 and in to a 15' x 15' target so that is the reason for the high expectation.  I'm not saying I achieve it all the time but that is my target zone.

I don't have shot tracking data so I'll have to go by memory for the last couple rounds and see what the numbers say.

If you are achieving those numbers you are one heck of an iron player.   

29 minutes ago, Shapotomous said:

Some of the shorter holes where I play have real small greens too.  At the opposite end of the spectrum a course near here, Wyncote has some HUGE greens where you could have a 100' putt!  They have a combo green on 1 & 10 that could be even longer than that and also have a dogleg in the putt!  🤣

Our greens aren't necessarily small.  We have one combo green on #1 & 4.  Some of our greens are 40 yards front to back, but only 30-40 feet wide, so it's easy to miss left or right and if you do, you will be below green level and can't see the bottom of the pin.  I have also chipped off the green several times because of dogleg greens; no chance for a putt (does that count as a putt?).  Slopes on the greens are generally gradual, but 4 greens have a drop-off to a lower shelf which can make it difficult to get the right line and speed.  

3 hours ago, cnosil said:

If you are achieving those numbers you are one heck of an iron player.   

Nooooo I don't achieve it all the time....I'm way too streaky.  Because i wanted something to do other than put away Christmas decoration totes I worked up a spreadsheet of approach yardage and proximity from the last round!   😎

I came up with an average of 123 yards for an approach shot and a 17' distance from the pin for 17 holes.  One hole i was blocked by a tree and had to play a low hook up next to the green so I didn't count that one.  This was the winter tees which are about 6100 yards.  The yardages were lasered so they are within a couple yards, the proximity distances are my best guestimate from memory. 🤓