TESTERS WANTED! ×

Trackman Data vs. You

fixyurdivot

Trackman Driver Data  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Does your driver launch data match well with Trackman data?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If no, which attribute is out?

• launch angle
    • ball height (apex)
    • landing angle
    • spin

For those of you who have/know your driver set-up ball flight data, how well does Trackman's data, which is based on mountains of players, match your data?  What if any aspects don't match up and do you think it is robbing you average carry distance?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

I belong to an indoor golf club in SLC called golf 365. They use trackman, and I have purchased a box of Rct prov1x . The number that always seems off to me is spin axis. I hit hooks that I’ve never seen on the course. The face and path numbers don’t reflect the sharp hooks that I see on the trackman. Aside from my driver and 3 wood, I’m very happy with all the other data i see with my irons. The RCT ball makes the trackman as good as the GC hawk I was using last year, and I’m saving 45 minutes of drive time.

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

I put landing angle as my reason for the "No" response, but that's not my mismatch. In a Trackman 7 vs GC Quad vs AboutGolf 3Trak over the summer I spread out over a months worth of time. I used each simulator 3 separate days spread out over 3 weeks time to keep the data honest since I never know which me will show up on any given day. Throwing out shots that were out of my usual data range, good or bad, the main difference in data came from the Trackman. Ball Speed, Club Speed, backspin, carry/total distance, apex, side spin, and launch angle were all within a few data points between the three. Not enough to raise any eyebrows. Here's where it got a little fuzzy. The club path, face to path, and smash factor numbers were very different between the TM and the other two units. I'll have to dig around and find my notebook with all of the data points and differences, but the gap between the TM and the GC/AG units left me scratching my head with no real answer. 

Shank's Tentative 2024 WITB

O.B. Finder- Paradym Smoke Ai TD 9*/Ventus TR Blue 6X +1/D

FW- Callaway UW 17*/VA Composites Nemesys 7X

4H- Paradym Super Hybrid/Ventus Velo Blue 8X

5-AW- Apex 21 $-Taper 120S Blackout- (almost time for a new set of something....)

Spoons- Vokey Jet Black SM9 50.08 F/54.10 S/58.08 M Jet Black/Accra iWedge Tour (Until the SM10's drop)

Flat One- Bettinardi Hive Poison Kool-Aid Innovai 6.0

Left Dash ALL DAY/14-way Vessel Players 4 (Thank GOD they finally fully enclosed each club pocket)

That's interesting guys. My first fitting was with GCQuad.  Last years fitting was first with Trackman because the GCQuad at TrueSpec went down the day before I arrived.  They had me return after the X-mas/New Year period for a redo on the GCQuad.  I've never delved deep into the differences and pretty much trusted the fitter and the integrity of their equipment. 

Perhaps someone on the forum knows of a study that compares these top shelf LM's and what if any differences are observed?  Of course then the question becomes "which is correct"?  I'm unaware of a LM "gold standard".

My understanding of the hyper-linked article is that the swing speed groups, and corresponding take-aways regarding their launch data and affect on driver carry distance, is based on a large cross-section of TM data and therefore representative for the vast majority of golfers in each category.  For those of us who have been fitted using quality LM systems by competent fitters, the presumption (at least mine) would be that we'd find the general populous TM data a match (or real close)... maybe a bad assumption though? 🤔

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Yes because 99% of the time I get fit for my driver so mine are optimal to my swing.

The numbers between trackman, flightscope and gc2 have been close to each other so I don’t pay attention to the differences between them especially since I predominantly do outdoor fittings and with above average range balls.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Txg did a video on the rct ball where they ran the GC quad and the TM simultaneously. The units disagree when the swing speed gets up above 115 and the spin goes low, below 1500. The GC regards these as bombs that go 330, and the TM thinks the ball won’t stay in the air much past 290. And they occasionally produced different shapes. 

TM definitely does me wrong as a low launch, higher speed player: I get a lot of drives in the 112 mph range with smash factors above 1.42, that only fly 266. IRL, no reasonably straight drive of mine flies less than 280. On the other hand, last year when I was using a GC, it regularly had my drives carrying 310, which is equally inaccurate. To me, and I can’t remember what the txg boys final assumption was, but the TM gives you less distance, the GC gives you more.

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

I am not familiar with all the config settings that are available with the launch monitors but I assume there is some tweaking of parameters that could have an effect or maybe just the calibration or position of the sensors themselves.  I have seen very different batches of data from different trackman units.  Sometimes the ball flight and shot data matches the feel of the shot and sometimes it is off.  I can still tell what the shot will look like by the feel of the ball on the clubface, my swing and finish position without seeing it.  Playing without glasses in near dark evening rounds will help develop such skills so you can find your ball regularly!  🙂  

I have been in 2nd swing and in Golf Galaxy trying a couple different clubs for fun and the ball flight will show hooks that do not come close to the feel off the clubface.  One time in 2nd swing I was adjusting my swing after seeing the hook on screen and I know I was hitting a high fade but it was locked in on the hook ball flight.  I moved to the next bay over and wow...there was the high fade ball flight!  It's kind of interesting I have never seen one give me a banana slice only the bad hooks.  After a few warmup swings I know to trust my feel and see if the ball flight matches up on screen.  If not I will try a different bay if I can.

The Trackman units at the local course have been fairly accurate for ball flight and distance compared to the feel off the clubface and distance I see on course.  I used them recently when comparing the performance of the Sub70 849 Pro in the club review to the Ping G410.  For me that is the real advantage of a launch monitor that is close to accurate (it doesn't have to be exact), back to back comparison data between clubs giving you relative differences.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

• 3 weeks later...

I will not be using trackman again after this season: having already paid for a 6 month membership, I'm stuck for the winter, but I'll be looking for a studio with a GC quad next off season. Just too many odd shots where the ball data doesn't equal what I see on the screen, mostly with driver.

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9