TESTERS WANTED! ×

Driver acquisition time...!

therod

First of all, your wife is a keeper.  Second, I also am gaming a PXG (Gen 2 0811 XF) and I LOVE it!  Do yourself a favor and at least find a PXG store or a used one at Superstore or something and give it a swing.

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

Hit a boatload of drivers. The first 5 or 6 were all very similar. I really liked the C721, but I had researched it and just wanted to like it to begin with. Then I hit a TSI3. And the ball went 20 more yards after I put the stock red ventus in it. Ball after ball went 20 more yards than anything else I hit. Going to have to be a wise eBay shopper to save money. Crazy expensive but crazy good.

Sounds like fun, enjoy the gift.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

6 minutes ago, therod said:

Hit a boatload of drivers. The first 5 or 6 were all very similar. I really liked the C721, but I had researched it and just wanted to like it to begin with. Then I hit a TSI3. And the ball went 20 more yards after I put the stock red ventus in it. Ball after ball went 20 more yards than anything else I hit. Going to have to be a wise eBay shopper to save money. Crazy expensive but crazy good.

Sounds like you got to try a lot of options and found a great fitting club.   I personally wouldn't refer to the ventus red as "stock" as it is a $345 upgrade from Titleist.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

25 minutes ago, therod said:

Why did it go 20 yards further?

Was that carry or total yards?

Did you try various shafts in each of the other drivers? 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I didn't try other shafts in other drivers. I just felt confident, knowing my game and my swing, that the HZRDUS that was in the Titleist wasn't for me. What I would like 2 find out is how much, if any, difference is there in distance in the TSI3 vs the TSI2 if all other variables are the same. It seems the TSI2 is the more forgiving option, but is there a distance loss to get that forgiveness? I might investigate that since I can get a TSI2 for a good bit less than a TSI3.

42 minutes ago, therod said:

I didn't try other shafts in other drivers. I just felt confident, knowing my game and my swing, that the HZRDUS that was in the Titleist wasn't for me. What I would like 2 find out is how much, if any, difference is there in distance in the TSI3 vs the TSI2 if all other variables are the same. It seems the TSI2 is the more forgiving option, but is there a distance loss to get that forgiveness? I might investigate that since I can get a TSI2 for a good bit less than a TSI3.

You have to define what forgiveness means and how you will measure it. 

Do you have the launch monitor numbers for each setup you hit? That would be ball speed, launch, spin, peak height/apex, land/descent angle, carry yards, standard deviation?

To determine what’s really best and most forgiving and/or what works better for you all those numbers come into play. Unless you just want the driver that goes furthest on carry regardless of how it gets there.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

4 hours ago, therod said:

there in distance in the TSI3 vs the TSI2 if all other variables are the same. It seems the TSI2 is the more forgiving option, but is there a distance loss to get that forgiveness?

What variables? 

If you haven't include the PXG 0811 Gen 4 driver in your options, you are missing the boat.  It is 299 right now with a "stock" shaft. The most expensive upgrade is $300.

You won't be able to hit it in a golf store naturally, but you should be able to find a location near you with a PXG fitting.  (pxg website can direct you)

Also, I am assuming by stock Ventus Red you meant the non velocore version?

On 11/22/2021 at 1:39 PM, therod said:

For my birthday a few weeks ago, my wife told me to get a new driver. She told me I could go to Club Champion if I wanted. I think I would rather go to the local PGA Superstore and hit everything they have. I'm a lefty, so that will narrow the field quite a bit. I did a truegolffit a few weeks ago, and it put me in a Wilson D9, with a TSI1 as the 2nd choice. I would also really like to tit the new Cleveland Launcher XL and the Exotics C721. And I'll see what else they have. I also have a brand new Evenflow Max shaft that hasn't even had a tip on it yet waiting for me to give it a shot. Needless to say, fun times ahead!

Your wife is truly an incredible and understanding person. May she be a true inspiration to all wives out there. 

Best of luck with your search for the perfect driver. 👍⛳🏌️♂️

Mizuno Pro Model E Tour AD VR 5

Callaway XR 3W 15* 565 Speeder 

Ping G30 5W 18* 757 Speeder

Hogan Apex 99 blades 4-E, KBS Tour CT Limited

Hogan VKTR 21* hybrid 
Hogan EQ wedges. 50*, 56*. 
SC Newport 1.5
Snell MTBX

On 11/25/2021 at 9:33 AM, therod said:

Buy what works the best.  Spare no expense.  Your wife already approved the budget item.

DRIVER:     Rogue 10.5 degree

3 WOOD:     Mavrik Max 15.0 degree

21 DEGREE HYBRID:     Titleist 909H

IRONS:     Callaway XR Pros  5 - PW

GAP WEDGE:      Titleist Vokey  48 degree

SAND WEDGE:   Titleist Vokey  54 degree

LOB WEDGE:      Titleist Vokey  56 degree

LOB WEDGE:      Titleist Vokey  60 degree

PUTTER:     Odyssey Black #7

BALL:       Titleist Pro V1  

2 hours ago, Glfaholic said:

If you haven't include the PXG 0811 Gen 4 driver in your options, you are missing the boat.  It is 299 right now with a "stock" shaft. The most expensive upgrade is $300.

You won't be able to hit it in a golf store naturally, but you should be able to find a location near you with a PXG fitting.  (pxg website can direct you)

Also, I am assuming by stock Ventus Red you meant the non velocore version?

Titleist doesn’t have a non velocore version. 

I bought the PGX 0811x Prototype really like it, stock Evenflow shaft, my son tried it and bought one for $229 on their website. I agree that you should take a look. You can spend twice as much from the big companies if you want and not get a better driver.  $500-$700 for a new driver is too much for me.

Epic speed driver

sxiron 3 wood

Tour Edge hybrid 

PXG irons

Mizuno Wedges

SC Putter 

Fully agree, hit as many as you can get your hands on. Even superseded models if they have them. I game a Callaway Epic Flash and at the time I tested Mavrik, Sim, Cobra Speedzone, Ping 4??, Mizuno, Srixon etc. I have since also tested Epic Speed and Cobra Rad but none feel as good as the Epic Flash. 

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

Here is the difference between big box stores and Club Champion. Although a driver from Club Champion has additional costs, you will probably get the correct one you require at CC. Head, shaft, & grip will be correct. Not all fitters at CC are PGA certified, but they have been trained well and understand fitting very well. They are also familiar with shafts and what to expect in performance. I'm certified and have worked for a major retailer, however, I had to spend my own dime to learn and become a certified fitter. I went to the factories on my own dime and learned at Ping, Callaway, Titleist, and Taylor Made, plus visiting shaft and putter manufacturers. BUT, most employees of the big box stores have just left McDonald's, have no experience, learn from one minute videos, and are told by the manager to just sell anything to anyone...because the customer is too dumb to know any difference! Go to Club Champion. Buy your balls, tees, and gloves at a big box store.

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

On 11/25/2021 at 9:33 AM, therod said:

You got to heart of the matter. The head by itself is not the answer. The head and shaft combination is what works or doesn't. Thanks for mentioning the shaft.

Callaway 816 Alpha DBD driver, 3 wood, 5 wood, Alpha 815 3 hybrid, RAZR X Forged cavity back irons 3-AW, 54-14 MD4 wedge, Maltby MS+ wide grind 60 degree lob wedge, 37 inch Rife Swithback Two putter. All clubs overlength - 47 inch driver, 45 inch 3wood, 44 inch 5 wood, 41 inch 3 hybrid, 39.5 inch 5 iron with other irons in line with that. All clubs graphite shafted and X-flex except flex of putter.

A factor most don't consider is the location of the center of gravity in the driver head. Most have a deep COG - way back away from the face. That is apparently easier to hit for most people. For some reason I don't know I hit drivers with the center of gravity close to the face much better - both straighter and farther. My guess is because it feels more lkike an iron, but nthat is just a guess. Finding a head with that COG narrows the possible choiices way down to a few. It also reduces my looking once I find a good one. My current gamer is from 2016. I spray the shots with a deep COG driver and hit the front COG ones straight - completely backwards from conventional advice.

Callaway 816 Alpha DBD driver, 3 wood, 5 wood, Alpha 815 3 hybrid, RAZR X Forged cavity back irons 3-AW, 54-14 MD4 wedge, Maltby MS+ wide grind 60 degree lob wedge, 37 inch Rife Swithback Two putter. All clubs overlength - 47 inch driver, 45 inch 3wood, 44 inch 5 wood, 41 inch 3 hybrid, 39.5 inch 5 iron with other irons in line with that. All clubs graphite shafted and X-flex except flex of putter.

I think the Ventus was in the C721. I think the TSI3 I hit had a KuroKage in it. I'd like to go back next week and hit a TSI2 and see if there is any difference for me. I don't play as much as I used to, so the extra forgiveness in the TSI2 might be needed. Unless the TSI3 is that much longer. I'd still like to hit a G425 as well. We'll see.

Launcher XL has the same tech as the XXIO driver.  Counterbalanced shaft.  Very light weight.  NASA grade titanium. For a player who needs spin to help keep the ball in the air, the Launcher XL driver is tough to beat.  And at $349 for the bonded model and $399 for the adjustable, you should definitely check it out. 

59 minutes ago, therod said:

I think the Ventus was in the C721. I think the TSI3 I hit had a KuroKage in it. I'd like to go back next week and hit a TSI2 and see if there is any difference for me. I don't play as much as I used to, so the extra forgiveness in the TSI2 might be needed. Unless the TSI3 is that much longer. I'd still like to hit a G425 as well. We'll see.

Whatever works buy it, don’t try to choose a different head to “save money” because the numbers aren’t going to be exactly the same between a TSI2 and a TSI3, otherwise they’d both have the same name. Make sure you know what you’re willing to trade performance-wise to choose amongst all the options it comes down to. Opportunity cost….

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I've hit many drivers over my years. I am a 14 handicap and I have sold the house to game the Krank Driver !! Great design and performance. 

Flash driver, apex irons, srixon woods, mack daddy 4 60°, taylormade 56°, SC roundback putter in a Ping bag.

Have played a number of brands over the years and realized that the problem was me and finally went to see a Titleist fitter and they set me up with the correct big dog in 2010.  Have been playing them ever since, always going in whenever the new clubs came out to see if I needed an upgrade and we did not always move up to the new equipment if we did not see an improvement of at least ten yards.  Have learned that it just not the head but getting the right shaft to complete the driver.  Was recently set up with the new TSI3 10.75 with a Fujikura Speeder 661 Tour Rated S shaft and the ripe young age of 75 can still hit it 260. The proof is in the fitting by a qualified titleist fitter.  Trackman numbers do not lie.  All my woods/metals have Fujikura speeder shafts and Titleist heads with GolfPride MCC Plus 4 Grips.  At my age I need every advantage I can get.  Just another two cents worth.  Whatever you do, go see a qualified fitter, mine has over thirty years experience, one I can truly rely on.    

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 20.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 6-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1s (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE