TESTERS WANTED! ×

MG C/4 golf ball

JohnP

Why has MG golf discontinued production of the C-4 golf ball?

Driver - Callaway Mavrik 

Fwy Woods - Taylormade Sim2 

Hybrids - Callaway Steelhead XR

Irons - Callaway Apex Forged

Wedges - Vokey SM7

Putter - Cameron 5.5

Ball - MG C4 and Taylormade TP5

43 minutes ago, JohnP said:

Why has MG golf discontinued production of the C-4 golf ball?

Do not know for sure but maybe it has to do with the current supply crisis and materials prices.  And I will say past experiences that ball was a great quality ball for the price. Yeah with the current state of things with labor involved too they may not be able to keep their price point to compete. This is just all speculation on my part.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

OMG! Just checked and all they have are the Big Senior ball and Callaway rejects.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

That's too bad.  I played them for a long while and they were quite strong for the price.  Maybe they'll make a return eventually.

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0811XT -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

PXG_Logo Small.jpg 0211 3W -- Tensei AV Raw Blue

Hybrids

image.png.374545efa45a29aed00287677e783604.png  0317X 2&4 -- Tensei AV Raw Blue 

Irons 

:srixon-small: ZX7 4/AW -- C-Taper Lite 110

Wedges

:cleveland-small:  RTX Zipcore 56 Mid @55° -- TT DG Spinner

Putter

Test.png DF2.1 or Link.1 -- Accra

Ball

:srixon-small:  Zstar Diamond

I'm sure it is supply chain related in some way or another.  Also possible that the factory that makes them decided to drop MG as a customer for a more lucrative one.  

I still don't think we've seen what is going to happen with all of the different balls made at the Nassau factory now that TM has bought the factory.  I believe Snell balls are made there along with a lot of other DTC brand balls so if TM decided to keep all the factory capacity for themself then we could see a lot of the DTC balls disappear for awhile and/or be slightly different when they return.

20 hours ago, ChitownM2 said:

I'm sure it is supply chain related in some way or another.  Also possible that the factory that makes them decided to drop MG as a customer for a more lucrative one.  

I still don't think we've seen what is going to happen with all of the different balls made at the Nassau factory now that TM has bought the factory.  I believe Snell balls are made there along with a lot of other DTC brand balls so if TM decided to keep all the factory capacity for themself then we could see a lot of the DTC balls disappear for awhile and/or be slightly different when they return.

Yeah, I would be curious to watch what happens in the golf ball world. I actually think the whole golf equipment industry is reaching a point of consolidation. There are so many DTC brands and big brands that some consolidation will be inevitable. I could see a company like TM just buying out Snell depending on the Nassau contracts. Other successful companies like Sub70 and Hogan could be back on the radar but it really depends on how profitable they truly are. If all the DTC companies are just breaking even (very plausible), then they will probably just continue to exist on their own unless their volume picks up and it starts cutting into the major OEMs. 

I could also see several DTC companies dropping out in the next couple years. Lower volume companies like Haywood and really even some companies like Hogan could perish. I don't know that any of these DTC companies have any supply chain control and they certainly don't have the financial power to take over any factories like the major OEMs might. Realistically, TM taking over the Nassau factory may just be the start of OEMs taking over manufacturers if they are finding they need better control of their supply chains. I could easily Acushnet, and Callaway get into buying factories since they have a little easier access to capital since they are publicly traded. TM being held by a private equity firm is a wild card in how much financial capacity they have but they bought Nassau, so I guess that means something. I don't know where Karsten Manufacturing sits financially. Cobra (Puma) is also a wild card.

Overall, with a couple successful years for golf and a lot of capital sitting around, I think there is going to be movement in the golf industry and it may be focused on manufacturing and supply chains. TM buying Nassau could be the tip of the iceberg. I don't think companies like Sub70 or Hogan have enough clout to justify mergers/acquisitions from the big OEMs. Why buy a company that is likely not very profitable that sells equipment at below market pricing? What might make sense is buying out factories and playing the long game. We shall see.