TESTERS WANTED! ×

Seriously considering dropping a wood......thoughts?

Shank Aaron

So, here's the gist. Just like the title says, I'm on the fence about dropping one of the woods and adding a wedge for 2022 as my gamer set up for the tournament season to avoid some situations that would've made a real difference when it really counted. Through lessons, a couple of performance fittings, and enough practice to shame Tiger I've dropped my index to 11.3 to end this season and I'm pretty proud of that with this being the end of my fourth full season playing. 

And here's the stats through the 47 rounds I played this year including tournaments via Arccos-

Woods

Epic Max LS OB Seeker- 498 total shots, 298 yards smart distance, 52% FIR

Sim2 Max 3w- 19 total shots, 253 yards smart distance, 71% FIR off the tee (9 shots), 19% GIR (10 shots)

Epic Max 5w- 18 total shots, 231 yards smart distance, 67% FIR off the tee (5 shots), 49% GIR (13 shots)

Apex 21/Epic Speed Super 4h- 46 total shots, 234 yards smart distance, 87% FIR (17 shots), 55% GIR (29 shots)

Apex 21 5i- 21 total shots, 211 yards smart range, 81% FIR (12 shots), 69% GIR (9 shots)

Wedges

Apex 21 PW (43*)- 97 total shots, 130 yards smart distance, 58% GIR

Apex 21 AW (48*)- 111 total shots, 108 yards smart distance, 59% GIR

Vokey SM8 54*- 223 total shots (including pitch/chips), 93 yards smart distance, 67% GIR

Ping Forged 56*- 128 total shots (almost all chips/pitches inside 50 yards), 86 yards smart distance, 91% GIR (probably skewed by all of the chips/pitches)

My initial thoughts are pulling me towards putting the 5w on the bench and adding another wedge to fill the gap between the PW/AW, or even adding a 58/60 to give me more options around the green. I had quite a few short game shots where the 56 was either too much, or not enough. I'm not very good at all at opening the face up to get the added height out of the greenside rough/pot bunker, and it usually ends in disaster when I try it on course. Then again, I've had quite a few shots this year where the approach was on the in-between side of the PW/AW. I've had bad luck with trying to swing lighter/slower and/or harder/faster with the wedges, nothing that got me in trouble on course, but not consistent enough to do it comfortably. So, the corners I've painted myself into is which wood to drop and which wedge to add. I will be doing some serious testing over the winter and moving forward, but I wanted to get everyone's take on their experiences with making this type of move for some insight. Appreciate it in advance.

P.S.- Yes, I've already been fitted this season.......twice.....

Shank's Tentative 2024 WITB

O.B. Finder- Paradym Smoke Ai TD 9*/Ventus TR Blue 6X +1/D

FW- Callaway UW 17*/VA Composites Nemesys 7X

4H- Paradym Super Hybrid/Ventus Velo Blue 8X

5-AW- Apex 21 $-Taper 120S Blackout- (almost time for a new set of something....)

Spoons- Vokey Jet Black SM9 50.08 F/54.10 S/58.08 M Jet Black/Accra iWedge Tour (Until the SM10's drop)

Flat One- Bettinardi Hive Poison Kool-Aid Innovai 6.0

Left Dash ALL DAY/14-way Vessel Players 4 (Thank GOD they finally fully enclosed each club pocket)

1 minute ago, Shank Aaron said:

So, here's the gist. Just like the title says, I'm on the fence about dropping one of the woods and adding a wedge for 2022 as my gamer set up for the tournament season to avoid some situations that would've made a real difference when it really counted. Through lessons, a couple of performance fittings, and enough practice to shame Tiger I've dropped my index to 11.3 to end this season and I'm pretty proud of that with this being the end of my fourth full season playing. 

And here's the stats through the 47 rounds I played this year including tournaments via Arccos-

Woods

Epic Max LS OB Seeker- 498 total shots, 298 yards smart distance, 52% FIR

Sim2 Max 3w- 19 total shots, 253 yards smart distance, 71% FIR off the tee (9 shots), 19% GIR (10 shots)

Epic Max 5w- 18 total shots, 231 yards smart distance, 67% FIR off the tee (5 shots), 49% GIR (13 shots)

Apex 21/Epic Speed Super 4h- 46 total shots, 234 yards smart distance, 87% FIR (17 shots), 55% GIR (29 shots)

Apex 21 5i- 21 total shots, 211 yards smart range, 81% FIR (12 shots), 69% GIR (9 shots)

Wedges

Apex 21 PW (43*)- 97 total shots, 130 yards smart distance, 58% GIR

Apex 21 AW (48*)- 111 total shots, 108 yards smart distance, 59% GIR

Vokey SM8 54*- 223 total shots (including pitch/chips), 93 yards smart distance, 67% GIR

Ping Forged 56*- 128 total shots (almost all chips/pitches inside 50 yards), 86 yards smart distance, 91% GIR (probably skewed by all of the chips/pitches)

My initial thoughts are pulling me towards putting the 5w on the bench and adding another wedge to fill the gap between the PW/AW, or even adding a 58/60 to give me more options around the green. I had quite a few short game shots where the 56 was either too much, or not enough. I'm not very good at all at opening the face up to get the added height out of the greenside rough/pot bunker, and it usually ends in disaster when I try it on course. Then again, I've had quite a few shots this year where the approach was on the in-between side of the PW/AW. I've had bad luck with trying to swing lighter/slower and/or harder/faster with the wedges, nothing that got me in trouble on course, but not consistent enough to do it comfortably. So, the corners I've painted myself into is which wood to drop and which wedge to add. I will be doing some serious testing over the winter and moving forward, but I wanted to get everyone's take on their experiences with making this type of move for some insight. Appreciate it in advance.

P.S.- Yes, I've already been fitted this season.......twice.....

The best way to solve that problem is with a fifteen-slot cart bag.

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

1 minute ago, BostonSal said:

The best way to solve that problem is with a fifteen-slot cart bag.

MY MAN! I like the way you think!

5-AW- Apex 21 $-Taper 120S Blackout- (almost time for a new set of something....)

Spoons- Vokey Jet Black SM9 50.08 F/54.10 S/58.08 M Jet Black/Accra iWedge Tour (Until the SM10's drop)

Left Dash ALL DAY/14-way Vessel Players 4 (Thank GOD they finally fully enclosed each club pocket)

32 minutes ago, Shank Aaron said:

I've had quite a few shots this year where the approach was on the in-between side of the PW/AW. I've had bad luck with trying to swing lighter/slower and/or harder/faster with the wedges, nothing that got me in trouble on course, but not consistent enough to do it comfortably. 

I think you answered your question in terms of your bag. Of course another way is to take a lesson is figure out what's going on with your wedge play. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I think based on distances and consistency, you definitely drop the 5 wood and just mail it to me. 

As for the wedge, that depends on what you're more comfortable learning and what you expect to happen more next year. Do you think you can learn to be comfortable opening up your club face on the handful of occasions where you'll need a short flop and stop? Or do you think it would be more valuable for you to have a 120 yard club. Then again, since you have 20 yard gaps between your wedges, do you focus on reducing the overall gapping. E.g., bending the 43 degree to 44, bending the 48 to 47, swapping the 54 with a 52, and leaving the 56 (or swapping it with a 58 and filling the gaps below 100 with partial shots.

Tldr: agree that 5 wood is out. As for the replacement, up to you. 

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

2 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

I think you answered your question in terms of your bag. Of course another way is to take a lesson is figure out what's going on with your wedge play. 

Someone said lesson. Drink!

....but actually, a wedge lesson would probably be really good. 

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

You should carry whatever you think is best for your game at courses you play. What anyone else chooses for their 14 clubs may/not relate to you. My choices are in the sig line, but no one else I play with has exactly the same makeup (all have more woods/hybrids than me), and that's fine and dandy. I don't like hybrids, but I force myself to carry and use one, maybe someday I'll warm up to them.

I almost never use my 56º or my 60º full swing, I use my 50º GW from 95 yards and in - and in prior threads I've read that many other players also don't use their highest loft wedges full swing. FWIW

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

18 minutes ago, MNUte said:

I think based on distances and consistency, you definitely drop the 5 wood and just mail it to me. 

As for the wedge, that depends on what you're more comfortable learning and what you expect to happen more next year. Do you think you can learn to be comfortable opening up your club face on the handful of occasions where you'll need a short flop and stop? Or do you think it would be more valuable for you to have a 120 yard club. Then again, since you have 20 yard gaps between your wedges, do you focus on reducing the overall gapping. E.g., bending the 43 degree to 44, bending the 48 to 47, swapping the 54 with a 52, and leaving the 56 (or swapping it with a 58 and filling the gaps below 100 with partial shots.

Tldr: agree that 5 wood is out. As for the replacement, up to you. 

One part of my game I have zero holes in is generating wedge spin regardless of swing length, and I'm pretty happy and comfortable with the lower gapping, but it would be nice to have that 120 yard club to take any swing decisions out of the mix. Like I said, I will be doing some major testing over the winter on a couple of courses that give me those in-between shots and seeing what does/doesn't work. Bottom line- I'll definitely have a stock of different clubs to switch out based on the individual course I'm playing that day. 

Funny that a wedge lesson was brought up.......I have one this afternoon, and every Wednesday through the end of the year. 

13 minutes ago, Middler said:

You should carry whatever you think is best for your game at courses you play. What anyone else chooses for their 14 clubs may/not relate to you. My choices are in the sig line, but no one else I play with has the same makeup, and that's fine and dandy. I almost never use my 56º or my 60º full swing, I use my 50º GW from 95 yards and in - and in prior threads I've read that many other players also don't use their highest loft wedges full swing. FWIW

Thanks for your insight. Exactly the response I was looking for. 

7 minutes ago, Shank Aaron said:

it would be nice to have that 120 yard club to take any swing decisions out of the mix. . 

I think you answered your own question and are just looking for us to give you confirmation.  Reading what you said is you want more help with the wedge gap and aren’t 100% sold on varying the swing.  The top end of the bag is more about distance and you seem to have most distances covered.  The club to pull would be 3w, 5w, or hybrid all depending on how much you use them.  My lean would be 5w based on the numbers you posted and add the wedge.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

7 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I think you answered your own question and are just looking for us to give you confirmation.  Reading what you said is you want more help with the wedge gap and aren’t 100% sold on varying the swing.  The top end of the bag is more about distance and you seem to have most distances covered.  The club to pull would be 3w, 5w, or hybrid all depending on how much you use them.  My lean would be 5w based on the numbers you posted and add the wedge.  

What I said in the next to last line of the post was I hoped for experiences and insights from others who've made a change like this, which is exactly what you gave me. Appreciate it. 

Drop the club you hit least consistent between your hybrid and 5w. Alternatively , you could get a HL 3w sim2 max and drop the 3 and 5 woods. Then still add another wedge. If you don’t struggle with 3w though no need to reinvent the wheel. 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

1 hour ago, Middler said:

You should carry whatever you think is best for your game at courses you play. What anyone else chooses for their 14 clubs may/not relate to you. My choices are in the sig line, but no one else I play with has the same makeup, and that's fine and dandy. I don't like hybrids, but I force myself to carry and use one, maybe someday I'll warm up to them.

I almost never use my 56º or my 60º full swing, I use my 50º GW from 95 yards and in - and in prior threads I've read that many other players also don't use their highest loft wedges full swing. FWIW

The first line says it all period.  See my signature and I do not get along with hybrids period. The only reason I added the 52* was with my swing revamp I do not swing and hit the ball as far and my set now has a 47* PW. With my old set up with a 49* PW I could cover the gap fine between it and the 56*.  between loft creep and me not swinging as hard I needed the 52*.  still only carry 12 clubs which works fine for me. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Your 5W and 4h are redundant distance, choose the one you hit best. You don't really have any loft gaps to require another wedge. You should get rid of the 56 and replace with a 58 or 60. 

To hit a 120 yard shot, take a full swing with your 130 club and grip down about an inch or mid-grip instead of top end. I do the same thing with my 45 deg PW as the gap down from that is to 105 yards with my 50 deg GW. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

I'll dive in an take the other end, that while there are no obvious gaps after the 3 Wood, but I will say if you are averaging close to 300 with the driver you should get more than 250 out of your 3 wood, I would imagine you should be getting closer to 270, and then would want to tinker with a 5W or other loft depending on the resulting 3W loft to fill back in that 250 gap. As others have mentioned the bottom is likely not as spread as you think with just a little wedge matrix work and a couple tweaks like @BMart519 mentioned. That would give you many more options at the top end of the bag. You could also just try to get a bit more out of 3W to 265, 5W at 245 and Hybrid more at 230 or 225 option. This hopefully gives you more overlapping so you can play a soft 5W or full-out hybrid to get to 235 say. All of course are valid options as long as it works for your game.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

Drop the 3wd and the 5wd and pick up a 4wd.

That's one "problem" solved.

WITB:

Taylormade SIM2 Max 9° w/ UST ProForce V2 5F3 @ 45"

Callaway Epic Speed 4wd w/ AccuFLEX Evolution Reg

Dynacraft Genesis 3 hybrid w/ Steelfiber i95r

Srixon ZX5 4-6 and ZX7 7-GW w/ UST Recoil 95 F4 soft stepped once

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54/10 w/ Recoil 95 F4 shaft

Cleveland RTX-4 58/03 w/ Recoil 95 F4 9i shaft

Odyssey SL EXO Marxman

Pondering:

Nothing at the moment

In the locker:

Too much to list

I would work from the wedges backwards.  set your wedges to cover the gaps you want by either bending some, adding some or replacing some.  20 yard gap between wedges is pretty large IMHO.  I would prefer to see 10-15 yards at most between your scoring clubs.  You are trying to get that proximity to the hole in Feet, where as a 7 iron or 5W into a green is measure in yards proximity.  So build from the the Top (58 wedge/60 Wedge) and move down.  If you are uncomfortable with a high lofted (lob) type wedge then 56 is your top end.  But I promise you, if you work on your wedge play some, you will hit a lot more shots with a 58/60 than you would with a 2hy or 5W.  Then I would have a mix of longer clubs based upon the course you play.  If you have a lot of holes where it makes more sense to pull 3W than driver than keep that in.  If you have a bunch where there are easy par 5s in two, might need to keep the 5W or 2Hy in the bag.  But I agree with your thinking that you need less lower clubs than wedges.  

Scoring is a pretty simple equation.  How do you turn 3 shots into 2 shots?  Meaning: be able to chip, pitch, or wedge play close enough to one putt.  Almost everyone is less than 10% make percentage outside of 12 feet (especially when you only get one chance, not on a putting green with 10 balls on the same putt).  That means you need to be more precise with your approach/short game shots.  Which to me means, more options is better.  I only do one thing with a 5W....Hit it 190-210 yards.  Thats it. (okay, occasionally I putt with it over a rough fringe, but you see what I am saying). I use various wedges for Lob shots, bump and run, pitches, distance wedges, full shots, bunker play, pitch outs, hacking out of the rough.  Having a 60 wedge in the bag allows me a full shot at 70 yards, instead of trying to take something off a 56 (85 yard full shot).  

You are headed in the right direction.

Cheers

Tigger

Looking at the stats you gave the toss up for what to lose is between the 4H or the 5W.  Distance is within 3 yards.  The other stats can be misleading as the 4H has 4x the data of the 5W so are they really that much different?  If it were me I'd keep the wood and ditch the hybrid.  The wood has more scenarios where it can be used, especially when off the fairway or from a tee.

But replacing with another wedge?  I'd say maybe not.  You describe a lot of drawbacks to your wedge play - tried different speeds, can't open it enough so will another wedge fill a gap in ability?  Or create another problem without solving the ones you already mention?  Changing a club to solve a singular problem won't help your handicap.  No single club magic replaces knowing and learning what your clubs can do and practice to make them do more things.  I just read an article where Tiger practices a "nine window" drill with his wedges.  Draws, fades, and straight shots through low, medium, and high "window" targets.  Learning what you have can do far outweighs replacing practice with another club.

GPS111

I’ve  been a 5 wedge guy for 2 years, next season I’m going down to 4. That has more to do with my new irons being weaker lofts than a change in my scoring philosophy. 

Based on your bag setup, I would:

1) drop the 5w and add a wedge 

2) drop your 3w and 5w for a 4w as @puttnfoolsuggested

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

I should have included this before.  If you are adamant about adding a wedge look at where your current set up falls short.  All of the posts suggest different lofts and gapping but have you looked at bounce on your current wedges as part of your restrictions?  A 56* with 12* bounce will work well in sand or fluffy grass if sitting up but not off a tight lie on the fairway.  You can open it up to almost flat for the trap or grass but try to lay it open on that tight lie and it's probably skulling across the green or into the next county.  

I had four wedges but found the 52*/10* gap 56*/12* sand were wasted clubs in my bag.  I might be one or two shots per round from each.  I ended up replacing both with a 54*/10* that works out of sand and a tight fairway and can be laid open for both shots with a high track landing like on a mattress.  Totally changed the game for an 80 yard shot over sand to a tight pin that is out of range for my 60*/8* lob wedge. Yes there are 6* different in lofts but it fits my game and ranges and makes decisions on club selection lot easier.  All I have to do if picture the shot I need and execute.

If you don't consider bounce you'll go through a wallet of cash trying to figure it out by loft.

GPS111

Great thing about living here- We can have our opinions and voices -------- wait.... I should be good on that since it isn't Politics nowadays? HAHAHA- I don't know ...

Of course- lessons is the obvious choice but every club manufacturer would go out of business or make 2-3 yr. cycles.... where's the fun on here if that's the case.

Sounds like you have no faith in that driver- get it resolved by fitting, lesson or dump it and go to something that can take care of the slot. Go up on loft whatever- sounds like an issue since you are either dependent on 3wd or really don't need the driver for the courses you play??? The courses you play, is it warranted for the top part of the bag or the bottom to score best? 

Could you dump the 3wd and 5wd for 4wd or turn either one of them into a 4wd with the sleeve. Either way, it doesn't matter unless you use it off the deck? If so, could you use either or and dump the other? 

Looks like the 4H is solid though and everything up to the 43* I assume has no gapping issues etc.

With the gapping from 43*- I consider that a 1* weak 9i in my mind but it's you so.... again- either go see someone about the gapping issues, bounces, swing etc or continue to read my bull.... haha. It sounds like you'd like the 4* gaps would be better and I'm not counting the 43* as a wedge. How about 47*-51*-55*- 59* or 60* then. Have the grinds for each on how you play them from that yardage the most and done. I don't like to get cute with opening or playing delicate shots with the wedges, if I screw up and get in a precarious situation then do my best with a stock shot and take it on the scorecard. I'm not good enough or have the time to be auto from bad spots.

So- the short answer-

Dump one or the other of the FWs if you want to get the extra wedge

Bend the 48* to 47*,

Buy a wedge to fit the 51* slot 

Bend the 54* to 55*

Either bend the 56* to 59*(dependent on bounce and if you could play it) or get something else.

ALL IS DEPENDENT ON YOU....

David

:taylormade-small: SIM 9* - Hzdrus RDX Black 70

:taylormade-small: M1-3HL- Hzdrus RDX Blue 70

:callaway-small:     Steelhead 7WD RCH99

:bridgestone-small: J15 CB 4-pw C-Taper Lite

:benhogan-small:Equalizer Wedges 50*-54*-58* V- Tour

:seemore:- M3W

When I first started golfing and my game was mediocre,I loved wedges due to how easy they are to hit.

Now years later I have progressed greatly with hitting woods.

I am dead accurate and long with all my woods and could never imagine my bag without them.

I think golfers today carry way to many wedges….The greats of yesterday would probably laugh at how many wedges you guys think you need🤷‍♂️

Edited by UST81
Misspelled word

For most of the summer I carried a driver, 3 wood and 19 degree hybrid. Then besides my 4-PW I played 50-55-60 degree wedges. For myself I found that the 50 & 55 had too much overlap for me so I switched back to my old set up. Moved my hybrid to 17 degrees and put a 3 iron in the bag. My wedges are now 52 and 58. It seems to set up nice for me and I like to hit 3/4 and knock down shots. Some of it may also be where you play most of your golf and what clubs you really don’t need in the bag. 

On 11/24/2021 at 4:37 PM, puttnfool said:

Drop the 3wd and the 5wd and pick up a 4wd.

That's one "problem" solved.

I was going to suggest this one for consideration although it could be accomplished by keeping one or the otter and adjusting up or down.

Good luck 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Today I pulled the 3W from my bag, adjusted my 5-6W from 20* to 17* and added my 5 iron.  Only a couple holes missed the 3W…..gonna play this way for awhile and see if 5he 5 iron add makes sense. Used the 5 iron several times today.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

My 2021 golf season is over, but I plan to be back out there in April as long as all of the requisite parts are still operational.

After a complete bag overhaul in 2009, I once again accomplished the same by the end of 2021.

That happened with miscues, hiccups, and returns along the way, needless to say.

But I think we're good now.

And seriously, I have decided to not drop a wood or anything else.

I need fourteen clubs for the formally organized Member-Guest.

I do enter that to reciprocate my own invitation to a similar event. 

Other than that, I play with other geezers on weekday mornings, nobody cares, and I really did buy a Titleist Cart 15 StaDry bag.

Awesome bag, truth be told.  Highly recommended for any other shameless cheaters out there--or young guys with "alignment sticks."

Therefore, I won't be dropping any of my new but non-matching woods. Or anything else.

At most, I'll be putting a red, off-limits pouch over one of my three utility long irons.  

I don't need three of those.  With odd metals, however, I opted for a real "set" of irons like the old days. 

So it's three "woods,"

a complete set of eight numbered irons so I can go out like I came in,

three wedges with six-degree gaps after a 42º 9-iron,

and a putter.  That, unfortunately, comes to fifteen sticks, and I won't worry about it. 

TaylorMade 300___307cc 13.5º driver / Mitsubishi MiDi Proto

Titleist TSi2___16.5º fairway wood  /  Aldila Tour Blue 65

Ping G425 Max___20.5° fairway wood  /  Ping Alta CB 65 Red

Titleist U505___2, 3, 4  /  Mitsubishi Kuro Kage

Titleist T200___5  /  Mitsubishi Kuro Kage

Titleist T100___6, 7, 8, 9  /  Mitsubishi Kuro Kage

Titleist T100S___GW (48°)  /  Mitsubishi Kuro Kage

Titleist SM8___54-10, 60-04  /  Mitsubishi Kuro Kage

Tad Moore Chicopee___putter /  hickory shaft

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

Somewhere between three and four grand.

My club buying days are now officially over unless the senile dementia gets worse,

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

• :taylormade-small: Sim 2 Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue 6R shaft
  • :taylormade-small:Sim 2 5 wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 5R shaft
  •  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft set to flat with weights set to fade.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • Go back and forth between :cameron-small: Select Newport 2 putter 34 inch length and :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne putter 33 inch length
  • Bridgestone B X.

Seems the 5 wood is expendable based on your data.  As far as wedge gap is concerned I’d bend your 108 yard cub a degree or 2 to tighten that gap unless your 9 iron is too tight to the pitching Wedge then I might add a degree of loft to the wedge. I’m not a great feel player so I’ve tinkered with wedges to meet my needs - I carry 4 including a 58 that is pretty good out of the sand & on flop shots - you might benefit from one of those.

The sound of a long drive is so much cooler when your playing partner says “Wow”

Tons of responses, and I truly appreciate the feedback. There's a lot to catch up on in this thread with the Holiday weekend, but every opinion given by y'all is appreciated. I think both woods and the 4h will take turns on the bench to test out how things work with the courses and distances I play (typically 6200-6400 by tournament/league  flighting). One of the things I didn't clear up that I meant to was with the wedges. I know the lessons I'm currently taking over the winter will either help, or flat out solve a bunch of my issues, but the main thing I wanted to accomplish with adding a wedge was more versatility/flexibility for my game. The majority of my approach shots are within 120 yards, with the bulk of those being 80 and closer. 

At the end of the day, the plan is to grind the lesson plan, and apply everything over the winter and experiment with my set up as much as possible. Again, thanks to all of you for the input. I'll post some updates on my progress as time goes. Cheers, boys.

On 11/27/2021 at 8:35 AM, revkev said:

I was going to suggest this one for consideration although it could be accomplished by keeping one or the otter and adjusting up or down.

Good luck 

Maybe.  Maybe not.  I'm of the feeling that a 4wd is completely different than a high lofted 3wd or strong lofted 5wd.  Loft is only one variable.

WITB:

Taylormade SIM2 Max 9° w/ UST ProForce V2 5F3 @ 45"

Callaway Epic Speed 4wd w/ AccuFLEX Evolution Reg

Dynacraft Genesis 3 hybrid w/ Steelfiber i95r

Srixon ZX5 4-6 and ZX7 7-GW w/ UST Recoil 95 F4 soft stepped once

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54/10 w/ Recoil 95 F4 shaft

Cleveland RTX-4 58/03 w/ Recoil 95 F4 9i shaft

Odyssey SL EXO Marxman

Pondering:

Nothing at the moment

In the locker:

Too much to list