Seriously considering dropping a wood......thoughts?

Shank Aaron

Great thing about living here- We can have our opinions and voices -------- wait.... I should be good on that since it isn't Politics nowadays? HAHAHA- I don't know ...

Of course- lessons is the obvious choice but every club manufacturer would go out of business or make 2-3 yr. cycles.... where's the fun on here if that's the case.

Sounds like you have no faith in that driver- get it resolved by fitting, lesson or dump it and go to something that can take care of the slot. Go up on loft whatever- sounds like an issue since you are either dependent on 3wd or really don't need the driver for the courses you play??? The courses you play, is it warranted for the top part of the bag or the bottom to score best? 

Could you dump the 3wd and 5wd for 4wd or turn either one of them into a 4wd with the sleeve. Either way, it doesn't matter unless you use it off the deck? If so, could you use either or and dump the other? 

Looks like the 4H is solid though and everything up to the 43* I assume has no gapping issues etc.

With the gapping from 43*- I consider that a 1* weak 9i in my mind but it's you so.... again- either go see someone about the gapping issues, bounces, swing etc or continue to read my bull.... haha. It sounds like you'd like the 4* gaps would be better and I'm not counting the 43* as a wedge. How about 47*-51*-55*- 59* or 60* then. Have the grinds for each on how you play them from that yardage the most and done. I don't like to get cute with opening or playing delicate shots with the wedges, if I screw up and get in a precarious situation then do my best with a stock shot and take it on the scorecard. I'm not good enough or have the time to be auto from bad spots.

So- the short answer-

Dump one or the other of the FWs if you want to get the extra wedge

Bend the 48* to 47*,

Buy a wedge to fit the 51* slot 

Bend the 54* to 55*

Either bend the 56* to 59*(dependent on bounce and if you could play it) or get something else.

ALL IS DEPENDENT ON YOU....

David

• Like 2

:taylormade-small: SIM 9* - Hzdrus RDX Black 70

:taylormade-small: M1-3HL- Hzdrus RDX Blue 70

:callaway-small:     Steelhead 7WD RCH99

:bridgestone-small: J15 CB 4-pw C-Taper Lite

:benhogan-small:Equalizer Wedges 50*-54*-58* V- Tour

:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Rossie

:titelist-small: AVX

When I first started golfing and my game was mediocre,I loved wedges due to how easy they are to hit.

Now years later I have progressed greatly with hitting woods.

I am dead accurate and long with all my woods and could never imagine my bag without them.

I think golfers today carry way to many wedges….The greats of yesterday would probably laugh at how many wedges you guys think you need🤷‍♂️

Edited by UST81
Misspelled word
  • Like 1

For most of the summer I carried a driver, 3 wood and 19 degree hybrid. Then besides my 4-PW I played 50-55-60 degree wedges. For myself I found that the 50 & 55 had too much overlap for me so I switched back to my old set up. Moved my hybrid to 17 degrees and put a 3 iron in the bag. My wedges are now 52 and 58. It seems to set up nice for me and I like to hit 3/4 and knock down shots. Some of it may also be where you play most of your golf and what clubs you really don’t need in the bag. 

• Like 1

On 11/24/2021 at 4:37 PM, puttnfool said:

Drop the 3wd and the 5wd and pick up a 4wd.

That's one "problem" solved.

I was going to suggest this one for consideration although it could be accomplished by keeping one or the otter and adjusting up or down.

Good luck 

• Like 1

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

Today I pulled the 3W from my bag, adjusted my 5-6W from 20* to 17* and added my 5 iron.  Only a couple holes missed the 3W…..gonna play this way for awhile and see if 5he 5 iron add makes sense. Used the 5 iron several times today.

• Like 2

Driver: PXG 0211 w/Evenflo Riptide CB Regular shaft 

Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3-4W(16*), 5-6W(20*) both w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft and Patriot 7W w/AccuLaunch 60 by Accuflex

Hybrid: Cobra F8 3 Hybrid(19*) w/Recoil ES regular shaft 

Irons: Wilson D7 5-PW w/Recoil 460 Regular graphite shafts 

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore(50*/54*/58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  

Putter: 33" Evnroll ER2 w/Evnroll Gravity Grip 

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black).  

Pushcart:  Caddytek 3.0 from Costco

Ball: Maxfli Tour CG & Titleist Pro V1x.

My 2021 golf season is over, but I plan to be back out there in April as long as all of the requisite parts are still operational.

After a complete bag overhaul in 2009, I once again accomplished the same by the end of 2021.

That happened with miscues, hiccups, and returns along the way, needless to say.

But I think we're good now.

And seriously, I have decided to not drop a wood or anything else.

I need fourteen clubs for the formally organized Member-Guest.

I do enter that to reciprocate my own invitation to a similar event. 

Other than that, I play with other geezers on weekday mornings, nobody cares, and I really did buy a Titleist Cart 15 StaDry bag.

Awesome bag, truth be told.  Highly recommended for any other shameless cheaters out there--or young guys with "alignment sticks."

Therefore, I won't be dropping any of my new but non-matching woods. Or anything else.

At most, I'll be putting a red, off-limits pouch over one of my three utility long irons.  

I don't need three of those.  With odd metals, however, I opted for a real "set" of irons like the old days. 

So it's three "woods,"

a complete set of eight numbered irons so I can go out like I came in,

three wedges with six-degree gaps after a 42º 9-iron,

and a putter.  That, unfortunately, comes to fifteen sticks, and I won't worry about it. 

TaylorMade 300___307cc 13.5º driver / Mitsubishi MiDi Proto

Titleist TSi2___16.5º fairway wood  /  Aldila Tour Blue 65

Ping G425 Max___20.5° fairway wood  /  Ping Alta CB 65 Red

Titleist U505___2, 3, 4  /  Mitsubishi Kuro Kage

Titleist T200___5  /  Mitsubishi Kuro Kage

Titleist T100___6, 7, 8, 9  /  Mitsubishi Kuro Kage

Titleist T100S___GW (48°)  /  Mitsubishi Kuro Kage

Titleist SM8___54-10, 60-04  /  Mitsubishi Kuro Kage

Tad Moore Chicopee___putter /  hickory shaft

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

Somewhere between three and four grand.

My club buying days are now officially over unless the senile dementia gets worse,

• Like 1

• Like 1
  • :taylormade-small: Sim 2 Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue 6R shaft
  • :taylormade-small:Sim 2 5 wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 5R shaft
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrids 21 and 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at D4 settings
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • Go back and forth between :cameron-small: Select Newport 2 putter 34 inch length and :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne putter 33 inch length
  • :titelist-small:  Pro V1x (may go to Pro V1 next year) and bought some Maxflis to try out for the offseason

Seems the 5 wood is expendable based on your data.  As far as wedge gap is concerned I’d bend your 108 yard cub a degree or 2 to tighten that gap unless your 9 iron is too tight to the pitching Wedge then I might add a degree of loft to the wedge. I’m not a great feel player so I’ve tinkered with wedges to meet my needs - I carry 4 including a 58 that is pretty good out of the sand & on flop shots - you might benefit from one of those.

The sound of a long drive is so much cooler when your playing partner says “Wow”

Tons of responses, and I truly appreciate the feedback. There's a lot to catch up on in this thread with the Holiday weekend, but every opinion given by y'all is appreciated. I think both woods and the 4h will take turns on the bench to test out how things work with the courses and distances I play (typically 6200-6400 by tournament/league  flighting). One of the things I didn't clear up that I meant to was with the wedges. I know the lessons I'm currently taking over the winter will either help, or flat out solve a bunch of my issues, but the main thing I wanted to accomplish with adding a wedge was more versatility/flexibility for my game. The majority of my approach shots are within 120 yards, with the bulk of those being 80 and closer. 

At the end of the day, the plan is to grind the lesson plan, and apply everything over the winter and experiment with my set up as much as possible. Again, thanks to all of you for the input. I'll post some updates on my progress as time goes. Cheers, boys.

• Like 1

Shanks 2021 WITB

O.B. Finder- Cally Epic Max LS Autoflex 505X

3W- Sim2 Max Tensei Blue 7S

5W- Epic Max MMT 7S 

4H- Epic Speed Super Hybrid

5-AW- Apex 21 $-Taper 120S Blackout

SW/LW- Vokey SM8 54*, Ping Glide Forged 56*

Flat One- Scotty Phantom X6 Tour Stability Shaft

Pro V1X

Vessel Players III 

On 11/27/2021 at 8:35 AM, revkev said:

I was going to suggest this one for consideration although it could be accomplished by keeping one or the otter and adjusting up or down.

Good luck 

Maybe.  Maybe not.  I'm of the feeling that a 4wd is completely different than a high lofted 3wd or strong lofted 5wd.  Loft is only one variable.

WITB:

Nothing presently.  I'm doing a full rebuild soon after my golfer's elbow heals and I get a full fitting.