TESTERS WANTED! ×

Have any of you done a golf ball fitting?

HAC

I mean an actual in person golf ball fitting.  If so, where and did you find it helpful?

• :taylormade-small: Sim 2 Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue 6R shaft
  • :taylormade-small:Sim 2 5 wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 5R shaft
  •  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft set to flat with weights set to fade.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • Go back and forth between :cameron-small: Select Newport 2 putter 34 inch length and :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne putter 33 inch length
  • Bridgestone B X.

I haven't, and I can't imagine why I would? Unlike clubs, balls are a small investment, so it's easy enough to narrow the choices based on my swing speed/distances and wants (e.g. spin vs distance), budget - and just buy and try them. [There are ball fitting guides online]

I've found almost every ball I'd ever want to try as well, so I try them all, side by side even, without spending any more. To be specific, in the past 4-5 years I've bought Pro V1s (about once a year), Snell MTB/X and MaxFli Tours, but I have also found and repeatedly tried out all the tour balls from Callaway, TaylorMade, Bridgestone, Srixon, Mizuno, Vice and Wilson. And I don't actually look for lost balls, just find them while looking for mine or other players usually.

And I suspect many people would be fit to a Pro V1/V1X if price was no object. But not everyone wants to spend $50/box...

If I didn't restrict my budget I'd never play anything but Pro V1s. But I find Snell MTBs and MaxFli Tours perform just as well, just as durable (just not quite as consistent per Ball Lab), for $26-35/dozen. YMMV

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, FJ DryJoys

41 minutes ago, HAC said:

I mean an actual in person golf ball fitting.  If so, where and did you find it helpful?

I have done a couple of Bridgestone in person fittings; they were done over 10 years ago and wee really just an extension of the online fitting since there wasn’t any kind of launch monitor.    Having seen the Titleist fitting that MGS recently did I am kicking myself for not going as it did what I think needs to be done in a ball fitting.  Basically same strategy as what @Middleris saying, but having someone that can actually interpret the shots better than I can would be valuable.  I currently don’t have a ball that I exclusively play and play a wide variety of models and brands; nothing seems readily different between any of them which is why I haven’t locked down to a single ball.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I currently don’t have a ball that I exclusively play and play a wide variety of models and brands; nothing seems readily different between any of them which is why I haven’t locked down to a single ball.  

I would agree with that. Most of the tour balls aren't wildly different, subtle differences in spin-trajectory-distance, durability and (unseen) quality/consistency. I can play anything with decent spin (always urethane) as long as it isn't soft (hate all of them).

• Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1

2 hours ago, Middler said:

I haven't, and I can't imagine why I would? Unlike clubs, balls are a small investment, so it's easy enough to narrow the choices based on my swing speed/distances and wants (e.g. spin vs distance), budget - and just buy and try them. [There are ball fitting guides online]

I've found almost every ball I'd ever want to try as well, so I try them all, side by side even, without spending any more. To be specific, in the past 4-5 years I've bought Pro V1s (about once a year), Snell MTB/X and MaxFli Tours, but I have also found and repeatedly tried out all the tour balls from Callaway, TaylorMade, Bridgestone, Srixon, Mizuno, Vice and Wilson. And I don't actually look for lost balls, just find them while looking for mine or other players usually.

And I suspect many people would be fit to a Pro V1/V1X if price was no object. But not everyone wants to spend $50/box...

If I didn't restrict my budget I'd never play anything but Pro V1s. But I find Snell MTBs and MaxFli Tours perform just as well, just as durable (just not quite as consistent per Ball Lab), for $26-35/dozen. YMMV

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

I have done a couple of Bridgestone in person fittings; they were done over 10 years ago and wee really just an extension of the online fitting since there wasn’t any kind of launch monitor.    Having seen the Titleist fitting that MGS recently did I am kicking myself for not going as it did what I think needs to be done in a ball fitting.  Basically same strategy as what @Middleris saying, but having someone that can actually interpret the shots better than I can would be valuable.  I currently don’t have a ball that I exclusively play and play a wide variety of models and brands; nothing seems readily different between any of them which is why I haven’t locked down to a single ball.  

This is interesting. Are you both saying you can't tell a difference between the different balls or just that in the end it doesn't really matter? For whatever reason I can tell the difference immediately. Mostly based on launch window, height and of course feel. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

19 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

This is interesting. Are you both saying you can't tell a difference between the different balls or just that in the end it doesn't really matter? For whatever reason I can tell the difference immediately. Mostly based on launch window, height and of course feel. 

I can’t really tell the difference.  Maybe they launch a little differently.  Iron shots get about the same amount if rollout.  Pitches and chips are close as well.   It could very well be that I just don’t have enough knowledge to test properly.   I could go to MGS and use the launch monitor to get numbers, but how does that translate to improved play?   

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I can’t really tell the difference.  Maybe they launch a little differently.  Iron shots get about the same amount if rollout.  Pitches and chips are close as well.   It could very well be that I just don’t have enough knowledge to test properly.   I could go to MGS and use the launch monitor to get numbers, but how does that translate to improved play?   

I would agree testing balls in practice with LM is not the best idea as there are just too many variables not accounted for. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

I wished that MGS had done the recent Titleist fitting with at least as many higher handicaps as they did with scratch and + handicaps.  Maybe they didn't because it wouldn't give clear-cut results.

While I am a borderline single digit handicap, my swing speed is slow and generally speaking, most balls give similar distance off the tee and 7i; around the green there is a huge difference.  I can tell the difference between urethane and non-urethane balls,  and I can tell the difference between PV1/PV1x and other urethane balls.  I have no launch monitor data; just feel and observation.  

When I play a PV1, I have to remember that I have to fly the ball closer to the hole on chips/pitches... sometimes I forget.  It's frustrating to have the ball check when you didn't plan on it.  Other urethane and 2-piece balls roll out more, but if I play them all the time, I can easily gauge the rollout better than I can gauge how much spin I can consistently put on a PV1.  If I didn't care about the price, I would play PV1x all the time and get used to the check on the green... but I do care.  In looking  for a winter ball I found that the Callaway Warbird ball flies higher than most balls for my swing and provides sufficient check on the greens that is easy to control.  It's my ball of choice for awhile.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

3 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I wished that MGS had done the recent Titleist fitting with at least as many higher handicaps as they did with scratch and + handicaps.  Maybe they didn't because it wouldn't give clear-cut results.

They didn’t because those were the people that went.  As mentioned I was invited to go along with the pool of testers that MGS has.  Unfortunately the test was in the middle of the week during the day.  

I was lucky to visit Bridgestone HQ in Georgia with @GolfSpy Barbajoa few years ago and was fitted there by probably their best dude for that, Adam Rehberg.  (He works with Tiger, so I guess he's a'rite...)  I've been a Bridgestone loyalist since then and although I also try other brands, I always end up coming back to what I know works for my game.  @Kenny Bhit the nail on the head above; if you have to constantly adjust your game to your ball, you're leaving strokes on the golf course.  

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

I've not had a ball fitting done but I think I'd like to. Based on the combination of ball lab info provided by MGS and knowing the parameters of what I like to play, I can narrow down to what I want. I play the Z-Star now, and the ProV1 for years, both of those are considered medium launch-medium spin balls with Firm compression. The Z-Stars are almost $10 less per box, plus Srixon runs BOGO more often so I switched. I imagine any other Medium-Medium ball between 85-90 compression would work fine for me as well. Maxfli comes to mind. I know <75 compression is too soft and I will lose distance so I can throw out the Chrome Soft & Tour B RX. I know I don't like the way TP5x and ProV1x perform in the short game, they are much too clicky. 

But all of the above are why I want to do a ball fitting. Maybe there is another Medium-Medium ball I haven't considered that will perform just as well as Srixon or Titleist for a better price. Maybe there is a different X ball that gives me the short game performance I am looking for. Maybe I am in that niche market that actually should play AVX. Just put all the questions to bed and figure it out. Peace of mind is worth the price of a fitting.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

49 minutes ago, Clay5477 said:

I also had a Bridgestone ball fitting, around 10 years or so ago.

The guy running the test told me that with my low clubhead speed, it really didn't matter what ball I played.

So, yeah, really didn't help me much.

I have to say I think that person (I won't use the term "fitter" with them) did you a disservice.

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

37 minutes ago, Clay5477 said:

I also had a Bridgestone ball fitting, around 10 years or so ago.

The guy running the test told me that with my low clubhead speed, it really didn't matter what ball I played.

So, yeah, really didn't help me much.

I had a similar Bridgestone ball fitting about the same time with similar results.  Of course, they had to put me into a Bridgestone ball and that was the B-RXS.  It was OK, but not enough difference to stick with it.

Us slow speed players need to find a ball that we like to play around the green and stick with it so we become familiar with how it reacts.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

14 minutes ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

I've not had a ball fitting done but I think I'd like to. Based on the combination of ball lab info provided by MGS and knowing the parameters of what I like to play, I can narrow down to what I want. I play the Z-Star now, and the ProV1 for years, both of those are considered medium launch-medium spin balls with Firm compression. The Z-Stars are almost $10 less per box, plus Srixon runs BOGO more often so I switched. I imagine any other Medium-Medium ball between 85-90 compression would work fine for me as well. Maxfli comes to mind. I know <75 compression is too soft and I will lose distance so I can throw out the Chrome Soft & Tour B RX. I know I don't like the way TP5x and ProV1x perform in the short game, they are much too clicky. 

But all of the above are why I want to do a ball fitting. Maybe there is another Medium-Medium ball I haven't considered that will perform just as well as Srixon or Titleist for a better price. Maybe there is a different X ball that gives me the short game performance I am looking for. Maybe I am in that niche market that actually should play AVX. Just put all the questions to bed and figure it out. Peace of mind is worth the price of a fitting.

You sound to me (an untrained person who plays golf & types words into a forum post, LOLZ) like someone who could do their own on course testing.  Ask Santa to bring you various sleeves of balls you think you'd like to try and do your own on course analysis.  And, if it's convenient, go get ball fit.

I have been to a few fittings with two major brands . Titleist , and Bridgestone. I was fitted to a softer ball from both companies than their tour versions. I do feel the Bridgestone balls help me off the tee a little better. Also around the greens. So i would say yes if the opportunity presents itself try it out and get fit to a ball that fits your game. I'm a believer .

20211115_124541.jpg

1 hour ago, MGoBlue100 said:

You sound to me (an untrained person who plays golf & types words into a forum post, LOLZ) like someone who could do their own on course testing.  Ask Santa to bring you various sleeves of balls you think you'd like to try and do your own on course analysis.  And, if it's convenient, go get ball fit.

Lol you are correct, and I've kind of done my own on course testing. I'm planning on ordering a Snell test pack, and maybe some Vice over the winter. I have ProV1, Z-Star, Z-Star XV, and Maxfli on the shelf at home. I think it's all about short game performance. I know I lose distance with anything less than 75 compression, even if it's urethane, so those balls are out. I know the X balls are not going to go exceptionally further than the other tour balls, so it all comes down to iron control and greenside performance. I'm not knocking the ProV1x or TP5x, I just know they don't perform the way I like a golf ball to. I did get to try a Tour BX this year and I had two great rounds with it, one was 14 GIR with lots of rip on the iron shots, and two poor rounds. So I know not all X balls are created the same.

On the other hand, it's convenient to go get fit because there's a Golf Galaxy about 5 minutes from my house. It's going to be a boring winter, so why not. They charge $70 for the fitting and I can test anything on their shelves.

Take Dead Aim

1 hour ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

Maybe there is another Medium-Medium ball I haven't considered that will perform just as well as Srixon or Titleist for a better price. Maybe there is a different X ball that gives me the short game performance I am looking for. Maybe I am in that niche market that actually should play AVX.

Get out of my head. 🤣

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

8 hours ago, HAC said:

I couldn't find anyone in person that would fit different brands, so I'm doing it myself. I personally find it valuable to take all variables away, have all my equipment, ball especially because it's used for every shot on every hole. So yeah I could do some trial and error but I'd rather have data behind it knowing ball a is better than b, c, d, e...... I'm trying to get down to one set of clubs, one driver, irons, wedges, putter so why not do the same with the ball.

And in the end if I can't tell the difference or it's only a few yards then fine. It takes further guess work out of the way, way easier to just have my brand and model so that way it's easier to shop for and have ready to play. 

As a fitter, Srixon did a fitting at Golf Galaxy, but at these inside facilities you can't tell anything. Taylor Made gave me a sleeve of TP5 and TP5x and asked me to complete a survey, and the TP5 is still the best ball, in my opinion...PERIOD. Titleist sent me two white sleeves with a #2 and #3, no idea what the balls were, and asked me to complete a survey. The #2 was the best...wish I know which ball it was, although I believe it was the 2022 Pro V1, while the #3 was the Pro V1x.

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

3 hours ago, Scott Bronstein said:

To answer the question about has anyone actually done a ball fitting before.

my answer is Yes, I’ve been fitted and was a senior Golf Ball Fitter.  I was in the greater Boston area as a pupil and fitter.

As you've been on the other side, do you mind explaining the process a little bit?

Take Dead Aim

3 hours ago, greggarner said:

Get out of my head. 🤣

Lol no...glad I'm not the only one with this train of thought.

Take Dead Aim

2 hours ago, HDTVMAN said:

Titleist sent me two white sleeves with a #2 and #3, no idea what the balls were, and asked me to complete a survey. The #2 was the best...wish I know which ball it was, although I believe it was the 2022 Pro V1, while the #3 was the Pro V1x.

For the 'unofficial' testing through MGS? The #2 ball was the AVX and the #3 ball was the ProV1 Left Dot. That kind of head-to-head testing is a great way to go about fitting, but you can spend an entire season just winnowing down balls. And then by the time you think you have a winner, it's a new season and there are new products released. Meanwhile, Jordan Spieth only just switched from his 2017 model ProV1x... 

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

I've been fit before, By Bridgestone years ago when they were very actively doing that. And while I'm no pro, you could say I'm currently in the middle of a lengthy ball fitting...

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

On 11/24/2021 at 1:33 PM, Kenny B said:

Doesn't Titleist say that better quality golf balls make a bigger difference to high handicap golfers than to low handicap ones?

• :taylormade-small: Sim 2 Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue 6R shaft
  • :taylormade-small:Sim 2 5 wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 5R shaft
  •  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft set to flat with weights set to fade.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • Go back and forth between :cameron-small: Select Newport 2 putter 34 inch length and :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne putter 33 inch length
  • Bridgestone B X.

30 minutes ago, HAC said:

Doesn't Titleist say that better quality golf balls make a bigger difference to high handicap golfers than to low handicap ones?

I suppose that is something Titleist would say for marketing purposes; there are many more high handicap golfers! LOL  

Personally, I don't believe it.

18 minutes ago, Riverboat said:

How they've convinced anyone but scratch golfers to p*** away $50 bucks a dozen on golf balls is a crime. 

I'm a 9, allegedly, since the computer apparently doesn't know how to adjust upward anymore.

I play the Pro V1x.  It's expensive, but I get to choose my own favorite ball number and they print my name on the ball, so there's always that.

Am I good enough to "urinate" away fifty bucks a dozen on golf balls?

Probably not.  By sticking to one ball all the time, however, I don't ever think about my ball.

That's got to be worth something.

Edited by BostonSal

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

20 minutes ago, Riverboat said:

Totally agree. How they've convinced anyone but scratch golfers to p*** away $50 bucks a dozen on golf balls is a crime. Just for kicks, I'll switch up and play premium balls once in a while when I've found a bunch of the same brand. Never much of a difference in scores. Usually a fraction of a stroke higher on average. But boy do my elbow and hands not enjoy it. (Nor do I enjoy the change in playing style they require or the slight loss in distance I experience.) Back to the low compressions I go. 

This was a point I made when MGS released it's big ball lab study over the summer. I kept going around and around trying to parse the data on the premium balls trying to figure out THE BALL I should play. And I couldn't do it.

My conclusion was that the balls in premium category weren't all that different. While I didn't compare every single ball because there's some I know I don't like, the ones I did were about 8 yards difference shortest to longest and only a few hundred RPM. That's not enough to make a difference. Play the least expensive ball that performs the way YOU like a golf ball to perform.

Take Dead Aim

On 11/24/2021 at 12:57 PM, THEZIPR23 said:

I can tell subtle differences in greenside spin and firmness (not so much trajectory even though it correlates with spin) between the various tour balls I’ve played, but I judge on scoring first and foremost. There’s no measurable difference in my results between any top tier tour ball (urethane, 3+ pc, non-soft),   except maybe Callaway (not a fan).

As an aside, I refuse to play any 2-pc ionomer/surlyn ball. When I find them I toss them in the fairway for someone else…

• Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1