TESTERS WANTED! ×

Have any of you done a golf ball fitting?

HAC

I’ve done 4 bridgestone ball fittings when they were doing them several years back. They were good for what they were and they showed you the numbers from your ball, the ball they recommend and in my case I was borderline so we tested different balls to see what they would do.

I haven’t done a titleist or Taylormade one yet but that’s on the list for next year. I would like to to go either TPI in Cali or Manchester lane and do a full fitting. 

I’ve done lots of side by side comparisons on the course and the prov1 has always been what works best. The 2019 versions of the tp5 and 5x were good options. Haven’t been a fan of the last three releases of the Bridgestone balls. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

6 hours ago, Riverboat said:

Do whatever makes you happy, but just for the record, you could get all that with balls costing a fraction of what you are paying and not affect your handicap at all. But again, sounds like you have plenty of money to "urinate away," so have at it if it's what you enjoy doing. 

It's got nothing to do with money, Riverboat.

I grew up with Spalding, Dunlop, and Titleist being the big ball companies, and Spalding and Titleist were both local, Massachusetts companies at the time.

Titleist's popular ball was wound back then, so I was a Spalding Top Flite guy.

Now, of those three, Titleist is left, and you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

The Pro V1x can play golf better than I can, so I can just stick with it and not worry about it.

If it goes out of production while I'm still playing golf, I'll find something else.

I'm just not a new-ball-tryer by nature.

As for the "urinating" comment, I was just kiidding you about being censored for "piss."

For some reason, I wasn't!

Edited by BostonSal

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

A few years ago, Taylormade had a ball fitting at my club, using the 1st Tee.  I think I hit about 6 balls with a monitor and was told the TPx was best for me. I got a two ball sleeve of TPx’s …..once they were gone I resumed using my Maxflis and Srixons.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

11 hours ago, Riverboat said:

If you look at testing numbers on balls or any other equipment, I think you would reach the same conclusion. For example, People freak out over getting the "longest" driver, but the difference between the top dog and the 25th ranked driver is usually just a few yards. The key, as you've said, is to find one that performs for you. Now as for me, I agree that I'd like the least expensive of those. But I get that some folks don't care about money, and would rather pay more for the ego boost that having expensive stuff gives them. It would just be nice if they would admit that's why they want it (at least to themselves), rather than trying to convince everyone that their exorbitant purchases actually help their game. 

My view is that  the best way to economize on equipment is to figure out what club is best for you and then to keep using it for several years. My sense is that the people pissing away the most money are the ones trying to find a bargain, then not liking it and buying a new bargain every year or two.  

• :taylormade-small: Sim 2 Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue 6R shaft
  • :taylormade-small:Sim 2 5 wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 5R shaft
  •  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft set to flat with weights set to fade.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • Go back and forth between :cameron-small: Select Newport 2 putter 34 inch length and :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne putter 33 inch length
  • Bridgestone B X.

11 hours ago, Riverboat said:

The key words here are "best for you." Which may or may not be at the top of the expert review lists, and may or may not be the most expensive or well known brand or model. Best model for your swing and your game and your budget. We agree. 

Absolutely.  This past year, I bought a new driver.  Going to a TaylorMade demo day at my club, I learned I could hit a 9 degree driver much further than my 10.5 degree driver - reduced spin, rolled further, etc  I went to a couple of other demo days at my club.  Talked a good bit with the pro who does fittings, demoed on the course virtually every 9 degree demo driver the club has (since I am lef handed, the options were fewer).  Knocked things down to a couple of drivers and had the pro look at me on the range with both of them.  Last thing I did near the end of the process was change shafts.  Ended up with the Sim 2 driver in my signature.  

What was neat is that while I got this done by mid-May, given Covid, it took until sometime in August to actually get the driver.  In the meantime, the club let me keep using the demo when I played so it was sort of if I had the new club.  Won some money in our Tuesday senior events (prizes are in shop credits).  Since there are about 85 members of the senior group and only about 30 or so actually play each week, most of the regulars make money each year from the group (annual dues ($35 a year) all go to the prizes).  So, by the time the driver came in, I had over $100 in shop credit and so the driver got cheaper!!!!

• :taylormade-small: Sim 2 Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue 6R shaft
  • :taylormade-small:Sim 2 5 wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 5R shaft
  •  th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0311 Gen 5 Seven Wood Project X Cypher 50 5.5 shaft set to flat with weights set to fade.
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrid 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at C4 setting (flat for lefties)
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • Go back and forth between :cameron-small: Select Newport 2 putter 34 inch length and :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne putter 33 inch length
  • Bridgestone B X.

BSfitting.png.b7e3c4400314f8399105e3439baa31da.pngMany years ago - I'm gonna say 10-15.  It was ProV1 or the X variant.  Also did one with Bridgestone "virtually" this year and have done one in person in the past.  They are all sales tools.  The only way it would be really useful is if you had access to a big database and could hit all of them on a grass range with wedges and irons in addition to a woods ball fitting.  That, IMO, is unrealistic.

I have done three......and all three times a different ball was recommended. the ONLY consistent message taken from all three fittings is the fact not one ball fits every shot.....you always sacrifice something.......and big box stores have crappy fittings....NEVER get fit inside for ANYTHING......after these "fittings", i did my own season long tests with 50 rounds and 10 different balls.....i concluded the three best all around balls for MY GAME....are the ChromeSoft X, Titleist Prov1 and Prov1 left dot......left dot is my favorite ball but I can play all three and have what i call success....you have to run our own tests once you get the driver #'s in your pocket......i found the best fitting techniques started with the 7 iron and ended with the putter.....

Golf is cool

I had a lesson with a pro on trackman and we tried a few different balls to see performance, it turned out for me that the pro v1x had most ball speed and distance of the balls we tried but Srixon ad333 was a very close 2nd in distance only by a yard or 2 with driver and spun great for me aroud the greens too. That being said I have yet to try the Taylormade TP5 and TP5x but  I can not justify the cost due to the good performace in all departments of the ball I am using.

I like the price and the performance and the feel off the putter face of the Srixon ad333 as well and I believe that this ball is probably a good choice for most mid to high hcp golfers that do not want to splash out for premium balls.

Edited by Grasper Parsnip
spelling

On 11/28/2021 at 9:01 AM, Riverboat said:

If you look at testing numbers on balls or any other equipment, I think you would reach the same conclusion. For example, People freak out over getting the "longest" driver, but the difference between the top dog and the 25th ranked driver is usually just a few yards. The key, as you've said, is to find one that performs for you. Now as for me, I agree that I'd like the least expensive of those. But I get that some folks don't care about money, and would rather pay more for the ego boost that having expensive stuff gives them. It would just be nice if they would admit that's why they want it (at least to themselves), rather than trying to convince everyone that their exorbitant purchases actually help their game. 

I get your point and agree for the most part, equipment is never going to magically fix your game and for most people, they don't end up getting the return they are expecting on spending $500+ on one or two clubs.

However, the difference in distance between the 1st and 25th driver in the most recent was ~9 yards and the difference in strokes gained was ~.077. Over the course of a typical round that is about a stroke saved, and for some people I am sure that is worth it.

19 hours ago, Clayton said:

BSfitting.png.b7e3c4400314f8399105e3439baa31da.pngMany years ago - I'm gonna say 10-15.  It was ProV1 or the X variant.  Also did one with Bridgestone "virtually" this year and have done one in person in the past.  They are all sales tools.  The only way it would be really useful is if you had access to a big database and could hit all of them on a grass range with wedges and irons in addition to a woods ball fitting.  That, IMO, is unrealistic.

I've played around with all the virtual ball fitters out there. First, I want to say that it seems some of them heavily rely on the question "what ball do you currently play" and just recommend their brand equivalent. If you say you play ProV1, Srixon will offer you the Z-Star, TaylorMade the TP5 and so on. I also noticed with Bridgestone that it is very hard to get recommended the above Tour BX. A user needs to put in very specific data to be recommend this ball. I keep getting the BRX through them, which I know is a bad ball for me. It was a great ball when it was under the B330 brand, but in the last iteration they changed it and dropped the compression so it's too soft of a ball for me now. I will lose distance.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

1 hour ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

I also noticed with Bridgestone that it is very hard to get recommended the above Tour BX. A user needs to put in very specific data to be recommend this ball. 

Interesting! I can't seem to get anything other than the BX! Funny enough, even when going to a neutral third-party I get recommended the BX. I guess maybe I should buy a sleeve...

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

7 minutes ago, greggarner said:

Interesting! I can't seem to get anything other than the BX! Funny enough, even when going to a neutral third-party I get recommended the BX. I guess maybe I should buy a sleeve...

I think they're a good ball. I had a dozen of the red box I played a few rounds with. Not very clicky for an X ball, and one of the  rounds I played I got tons of zip on the greens. 

Take Dead Aim

14 minutes ago, Riverboat said:

I was under the impression that strokes gained was a per round statistic. So that. 077 difference would mean .077 strokes per round, no translation to 18 holes necessary. Am I mistaken?

Doesn't really matter to me, as I think it's a pretty meaningless stat for a club and more meaningful for a golfer, but clarification would help my confusion. 

The 9 yards may or may not be worth the money, but I would want to check to see if that 9 yards actually happens when I swing the club before dropping the extra money. Again, what works for a robot doesn't necessarily translate to what I see on the course. 

From my understanding the way they listed it, it was strokes gained per shot and this test was done by test golfers and not a robot.

I would absolutely agree on verifying club/shaft performance for your game personally before purchasing because every person and swing is a bit different, where I am I would not go out and buy a brand new $600-$700 driver if the difference was 9 yards but if I was in the market and it was a $100-$200 difference from other clubs I was looking at, it would be hard to say no all else being equal.

2 hours ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

I think they're a good ball. I had a dozen of the red box I played a few rounds with. Not very clicky for an X ball, and one of the  rounds I played I got tons of zip on the greens. 

@greggarner I checked out that site you dropped in the link. My top 5 balls based on the survey:

Snell MTB-X

Srixon Z-Star XV

Srixon Z-Star (my current gamer)

Vice Tour

Titleist Velocity

When I changed the answer to the "does cost matter question" to No, I also got the Bridgestone Tour B X

Take Dead Aim

6 minutes ago, Riverboat said:

I was under the impression that strokes gained was a per round statistic. So that. 077 difference would mean .077 strokes per round, no translation to 18 holes necessary. Am I mistaken?

Doesn't really matter to me, as I think it's a pretty meaningless stat for a club and more meaningful for a golfer, but clarification would help my confusion. 

strokes gained is typically measured shot by shot and then added up for the round.  For tour players we see the numbers added up based on categories (driving, putting, approach, etc) and then totaled for the round; direct comparison to others playing the same tournament.  For the average player we compare our round against a collection of data  across all golfers.  Comparisons can be made at any level: club, shot, round, tournament, season against all golfers, or specific handicaps.   It is simply an indicator on how well you do compared to averages and may give an indication of areas to work on.  It is also great for expectation management to enable the player to better understand how many stroke it takes to hole out from anywhere. 

let’s start with something simple.. from 8’ the strokes gained number is 1.50.  If you one putt you gain .5 stokes; if you 2 putt you lose .5 strokes.   Every distance has a strokes gained number and you do the same type of comparison that I just described.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

21 hours ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

@greggarner I checked out that site you dropped in the link. My top 5 balls based on the survey:

Snell MTB-X

Srixon Z-Star XV

Srixon Z-Star (my current gamer)

Vice Tour

Titleist Velocity

When I changed the answer to the "does cost matter question" to No, I also got the Bridgestone Tour B X

That's quite a spread in terms of performance! Really interesting to see two ionomer balls sneak in there. Personally, I haven't hit the Vice Tour, but I don't hate the Velocity. I love the Z-Star, but it's borderline too low-spin off the big stick for me. When I hit that downwind, it just knuckles and drops out of the sky. Great all-around ball though!

Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)

Tested:

1 hour ago, greggarner said:

That's quite a spread in terms of performance! Really interesting to see two ionomer balls sneak in there. Personally, I haven't hit the Vice Tour, but I don't hate the Velocity. I love the Z-Star, but it's borderline too low-spin off the big stick for me. When I hit that downwind, it just knuckles and drops out of the sky. Great all-around ball though!

I'm very happy with the Z-Star. I play with guys who use the TP5x & ProV1 and I've not noticed any performance loss compared to them. And I used to be a ProV guy, but I can't justify the cost when the Srixon are $10 less a dozen (and Snell are almost $20 less) and perform just as well. I did find an MTB-X and played 45 holes with it before losing it, this ball has my attention and may take over once I run out of Z-Stars.

I actually really like the Velocity. I still have a dozen from my cheap days kicking around, I'll play them occasionally. The ball goes a mile and holds greens just fine. I don't know anything about any of the Vice balls, but when I broke down the MGS ball lab data, the Pro Plus came out at the top, so that's the one I'd like to pick up a dozen of this offseason to try.

Take Dead Aim

On 11/30/2021 at 7:18 AM, DiscipleofPenick said:

I've played around with all the virtual ball fitters out there. First, I want to say that it seems some of them heavily rely on the question "what ball do you currently play" and just recommend their brand equivalent. If you say you play ProV1, Srixon will offer you the Z-Star, TaylorMade the TP5 and so on. I also noticed with Bridgestone that it is very hard to get recommended the above Tour BX. A user needs to put in very specific data to be recommend this ball. I keep getting the BRX through them, which I know is a bad ball for me. It was a great ball when it was under the B330 brand, but in the last iteration they changed it and dropped the compression so it's too soft of a ball for me now. I will lose distance.

I used the Bridgestone tool yesterday and BX was the rec for most of my test. I use the BXS currently and could only get that if I chose "Spin" as the priority. BX was the rec for accuracy and distance priorities. Only if I played around with slice shot shape would it go to e12. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

On 11/30/2021 at 3:18 PM, DiscipleofPenick said:

Interesting.  I don't think I answered any questions at all for this one.  They asked for a video of the swing with a golf ball box in the video.  Then they analyzed the video and e-mailed their suggestion.  I won a box of the balls as well but haven't played them yet.  Found a couple though and they kind of play like a distance ball but with spin around the greens.  I'd like to try their new "proto" ball that is going to be released soon.

On 12/1/2021 at 11:51 AM, DiscipleofPenick said:

I did find an MTB-X and played 45 holes with it before losing it, this ball has my attention and may take over once I run out of Z-Stars.

I picked up 3 doz Z-Stars during the Father's Day promo, which is how I discovered that I can't get enough driver spin with them. I really like the XV, especially the 2021 version with the less clicky cover, but I won a doz MTB-X and I gotta tell ya, I love that ball. If I didn't have $300 in shop credit expiring this month, I absolutely would pick up the Snell Value Pack. (It's just hard to say no to 6 doz "free" ProV1s...)

Tested:

34 minutes ago, greggarner said:

I picked up 3 doz Z-Stars during the Father's Day promo, which is how I discovered that I can't get enough driver spin with them. I really like the XV, especially the 2021 version with the less clicky cover, but I won a doz MTB-X and I gotta tell ya, I love that ball. If I didn't have $300 in shop credit expiring this month, I absolutely would pick up the Snell Value Pack. (It's just hard to say no to 6 doz "free" ProV1s...)

Haha, I agree with you. I'll never turn down ProV1s as a gift or on credit, I'm just not going to spend my money on them anymore. I have a dozen of the 2019 XVs to try because, and sorry if I'm repeating, I wonder if I should actually play the "X" balls. From what I've tried this past season there's ones that are far too clicky in the short game (ProV1x & TP5x), one that was ok (Tour BX), and one I love and want to give a full test (MTB-X). 

I think I'm going to order the Snell around Xmas then set up a ball fitting with Golf Galaxy and bring those with me. Galaxy says I can test anything on their shelves, but they don't have Vice/Snell. So I figure if I'm paying to test, I can bring in my own balls as well.

Take Dead Aim

38 minutes ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

Haha, I agree with you. I'll never turn down ProV1s as a gift or on credit, I'm just not going to spend my money on them anymore. I have a dozen of the 2019 XVs to try because, and sorry if I'm repeating, I wonder if I should actually play the "X" balls. From what I've tried this past season there's ones that are far too clicky in the short game (ProV1x & TP5x), one that was ok (Tour BX), and one I love and want to give a full test (MTB-X). 

I think I'm going to order the Snell around Xmas then set up a ball fitting with Golf Galaxy and bring those with me. Galaxy says I can test anything on their shelves, but they don't have Vice/Snell. So I figure if I'm paying to test, I can bring in my own balls as well.

You can't properly test golf balls on an indoor sim. You exclude all of the aerodynamic performance of the cover which affects the height and overall ball flight. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0