Have any of you done a golf ball fitting?

HAC

8 hours ago, HAC said:

I mean an actual in person golf ball fitting.  If so, where and did you find it helpful?

I couldn't find anyone in person that would fit different brands, so I'm doing it myself. I personally find it valuable to take all variables away, have all my equipment, ball especially because it's used for every shot on every hole. So yeah I could do some trial and error but I'd rather have data behind it knowing ball a is better than b, c, d, e...... I'm trying to get down to one set of clubs, one driver, irons, wedges, putter so why not do the same with the ball.

And in the end if I can't tell the difference or it's only a few yards then fine. It takes further guess work out of the way, way easier to just have my brand and model so that way it's easier to shop for and have ready to play. 

As a fitter, Srixon did a fitting at Golf Galaxy, but at these inside facilities you can't tell anything. Taylor Made gave me a sleeve of TP5 and TP5x and asked me to complete a survey, and the TP5 is still the best ball, in my opinion...PERIOD. Titleist sent me two white sleeves with a #2 and #3, no idea what the balls were, and asked me to complete a survey. The #2 was the best...wish I know which ball it was, although I believe it was the 2022 Pro V1, while the #3 was the Pro V1x.

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G400 Max Driver 10.5° w/Diamona S+ LTD Blue-Board 70 R Flex

Ping G410 5 Fairway Wood Mitsubishi Tensi Orange R Flex

Ping G410 4-5-6 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi Blue R Flex

Ping i500 Irons 5-U w/Recoil SmacWrap F3 Flex (power-spec lofts)

Ping 3.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap F3 Flex

2021 Ping Fetch Putter

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Mid-Size Grips

3 hours ago, Scott Bronstein said:

To answer the question about has anyone actually done a ball fitting before.

my answer is Yes, I’ve been fitted and was a senior Golf Ball Fitter.  I was in the greater Boston area as a pupil and fitter.

As you've been on the other side, do you mind explaining the process a little bit?

Take Dead Aim

2 hours ago, HDTVMAN said:

Titleist sent me two white sleeves with a #2 and #3, no idea what the balls were, and asked me to complete a survey. The #2 was the best...wish I know which ball it was, although I believe it was the 2022 Pro V1, while the #3 was the Pro V1x.

For the 'unofficial' testing through MGS? The #2 ball was the AVX and the #3 ball was the ProV1 Left Dot. That kind of head-to-head testing is a great way to go about fitting, but you can spend an entire season just winnowing down balls. And then by the time you think you have a winner, it's a new season and there are new products released. Meanwhile, Jordan Spieth only just switched from his 2017 model ProV1x... 

• Like 1

Driver: :cobra-small: RADspeed 9* with Motore X F1 60S
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff
Wet/Soft: 3i-PW
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged, KBS Tour-V 110S
Hard/Fast: 4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S

52*, 58* :cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Modus3 Tour 115
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Premier 11s

Ball: I'll try anything with a urethane cover
Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer (2018) in black/white/copper

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots
:SuperSpeed:

All clubs RH

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review

I've been fit before, By Bridgestone years ago when they were very actively doing that. And while I'm no pro, you could say I'm currently in the middle of a lengthy ball fitting...

• Like 3

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 17.5° - Fujikura Pro

Utility:    :cobra-small: King Forged 20.5° Utility - Catalyst X

Irons:   image.png.cbfb2d938ea45d82004d9bdeb23cf643.pngD7 Forged GW-5i - Recoils

Wedges:   :Sub70:  JB 52° , 286 56°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

On 11/24/2021 at 1:33 PM, Kenny B said:

I wished that MGS had done the recent Titleist fitting with at least as many higher handicaps as they did with scratch and + handicaps.  Maybe they didn't because it wouldn't give clear-cut results.

Doesn't Titleist say that better quality golf balls make a bigger difference to high handicap golfers than to low handicap ones?

• :taylormade-small: Sim 2 Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue 6R shaft
  • :taylormade-small:Sim 2 5 wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 5R shaft
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrids 21 and 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at D4 settings
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • Go back and forth between :cameron-small: Select Newport 2 putter 34 inch length and :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne putter 33 inch length
  • :titelist-small:  Pro V1x (may go to Pro V1 next year) and bought some Maxflis to try out for the offseason

30 minutes ago, HAC said:

Doesn't Titleist say that better quality golf balls make a bigger difference to high handicap golfers than to low handicap ones?

I suppose that is something Titleist would say for marketing purposes; there are many more high handicap golfers! LOL  

Personally, I don't believe it.

• Like 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

4 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

I suppose that is something Titleist would say for marketing purposes; there are many more high handicap golfers! LOL  

Personally, I don't believe it.

Totally agree. How they've convinced anyone but scratch golfers to p*** away $50 bucks a dozen on golf balls is a crime. Just for kicks, I'll switch up and play premium balls once in a while when I've found a bunch of the same brand. Never much of a difference in scores. Usually a fraction of a stroke higher on average. But boy do my elbow and hands not enjoy it. (Nor do I enjoy the change in playing style they require or the slight loss in distance I experience.) Back to the low compressions I go. 

• Like 1

😧 Wilson Triton

3w: PXG 341

5W: Cleveland launcher 

3H: Wilson Deep Red

5-GW: PXG 0211

SW LW: Mizuno MP T5

P: Scott Cameron Newport

18 minutes ago, Riverboat said:

How they've convinced anyone but scratch golfers to p*** away $50 bucks a dozen on golf balls is a crime. 

I'm a 9, allegedly, since the computer apparently doesn't know how to adjust upward anymore.

I play the Pro V1x.  It's expensive, but I get to choose my own favorite ball number and they print my name on the ball, so there's always that.

Am I good enough to "urinate" away fifty bucks a dozen on golf balls?

Probably not.  By sticking to one ball all the time, however, I don't ever think about my ball.

That's got to be worth something.

Edited by BostonSal
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Riverboat said:

Totally agree. How they've convinced anyone but scratch golfers to p*** away $50 bucks a dozen on golf balls is a crime. Just for kicks, I'll switch up and play premium balls once in a while when I've found a bunch of the same brand. Never much of a difference in scores. Usually a fraction of a stroke higher on average. But boy do my elbow and hands not enjoy it. (Nor do I enjoy the change in playing style they require or the slight loss in distance I experience.) Back to the low compressions I go. 

This was a point I made when MGS released it's big ball lab study over the summer. I kept going around and around trying to parse the data on the premium balls trying to figure out THE BALL I should play. And I couldn't do it.

My conclusion was that the balls in premium category weren't all that different. While I didn't compare every single ball because there's some I know I don't like, the ones I did were about 8 yards difference shortest to longest and only a few hundred RPM. That's not enough to make a difference. Play the least expensive ball that performs the way YOU like a golf ball to perform.

Take Dead Aim

5 minutes ago, BostonSal said:

I'm a 9, allegedly, since the computer apparently doesn't know how to adjust upward anymore.

I play the Pro V1x.  It's expensive, but I get to choose my own favorite ball number and they print my name on the ball, so there's always that.

Am I good enough to "urinate" away fifty bucks a dozen on golf balls?

Probably not.  By sticking to one ball all the time, however, I don't ever think about my ball.

That's got to be worth something.

Do whatever makes you happy, but just for the record, you could get all that with balls costing a fraction of what you are paying and not affect your handicap at all. But again, sounds like you have plenty of money to "urinate away," so have at it if it's what you enjoy doing. 

😧 Wilson Triton

On 11/24/2021 at 12:57 PM, THEZIPR23 said:

This is interesting. Are you both saying you can't tell a difference between the different balls or just that in the end it doesn't really matter? For whatever reason I can tell the difference immediately. Mostly based on launch window, height and of course feel. 

I can tell subtle differences in greenside spin and firmness (not so much trajectory even though it correlates with spin) between the various tour balls I’ve played, but I judge on scoring first and foremost. There’s no measurable difference in my results between any top tier tour ball (urethane, 3+ pc, non-soft),   except maybe Callaway (not a fan).

As an aside, I refuse to play any 2-pc ionomer/surlyn ball. When I find them I toss them in the fairway for someone else…

• Like 1
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B ER2
  • Maxfli Tour Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT

7 minutes ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

This was a point I made when MGS released it's big ball lab study over the summer. I kept going around and around trying to parse the data on the premium balls trying to figure out THE BALL I should play. And I couldn't do it.

My conclusion was that the balls in premium category weren't all that different. While I didn't compare every single ball because there's some I know I don't like, the ones I did were about 8 yards difference shortest to longest and only a few hundred RPM. That's not enough to make a difference. Play the least expensive ball that performs the way YOU like a golf ball to perform.

If you look at testing numbers on balls or any other equipment, I think you would reach the same conclusion. For example, People freak out over getting the "longest" driver, but the difference between the top dog and the 25th ranked driver is usually just a few yards. The key, as you've said, is to find one that performs for you. Now as for me, I agree that I'd like the least expensive of those. But I get that some folks don't care about money, and would rather pay more for the ego boost that having expensive stuff gives them. It would just be nice if they would admit that's why they want it (at least to themselves), rather than trying to convince everyone that their exorbitant purchases actually help their game. 

😧 Wilson Triton

I’ve done 4 bridgestone ball fittings when they were doing them several years back. They were good for what they were and they showed you the numbers from your ball, the ball they recommend and in my case I was borderline so we tested different balls to see what they would do.

I haven’t done a titleist or Taylormade one yet but that’s on the list for next year. I would like to to go either TPI in Cali or Manchester lane and do a full fitting. 

I’ve done lots of side by side comparisons on the course and the prov1 has always been what works best. The 2019 versions of the tp5 and 5x were good options. Haven’t been a fan of the last three releases of the Bridgestone balls. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

6 hours ago, Riverboat said:

Do whatever makes you happy, but just for the record, you could get all that with balls costing a fraction of what you are paying and not affect your handicap at all. But again, sounds like you have plenty of money to "urinate away," so have at it if it's what you enjoy doing. 

It's got nothing to do with money, Riverboat.

I grew up with Spalding, Dunlop, and Titleist being the big ball companies, and Spalding and Titleist were both local, Massachusetts companies at the time.

Titleist's popular ball was wound back then, so I was a Spalding Top Flite guy.

Now, of those three, Titleist is left, and you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

The Pro V1x can play golf better than I can, so I can just stick with it and not worry about it.

If it goes out of production while I'm still playing golf, I'll find something else.

I'm just not a new-ball-tryer by nature.

As for the "urinating" comment, I was just kiidding you about being censored for "piss."

For some reason, I wasn't!

Edited by BostonSal
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, BostonSal said:

It's got nothing to do with money, Riverboat.

I grew up with Spalding, Dunlop, and Titleist being the big ball companies, and Spalding and Titleist were both local, Massachusetts companies at the time.

Titleist's popular ball was wound back then, so I was a Spalding Top Flite guy.

Now, of those three, Titleist is left, and you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

The Pro V1x can play golf better than I can, so I can just stick with it and not worry about it.

If it goes out of production while I'm still playing golf, I'll find something else.

I'm just not a new-ball-tryer by nature.

As for the "urinating" comment, I was just kiidding you about being censored for "piss."

For some reason, I wasn't!

Haha... I actually self censored. I really enjoy your posts, by the way. If we lived closer, I'd try to set up a round with you. You've given me many lol's.

• Like 1

😧 Wilson Triton

A few years ago, Taylormade had a ball fitting at my club, using the 1st Tee.  I think I hit about 6 balls with a monitor and was told the TPx was best for me. I got a two ball sleeve of TPx’s …..once they were gone I resumed using my Maxflis and Srixons.

Driver: PXG 0211 w/Evenflo Riptide CB Regular shaft 

Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3-4W(16*), 5-6W(20*) both w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft and Patriot 7W w/AccuLaunch 60 by Accuflex

Hybrid: Cobra F8 3 Hybrid(19*) w/Recoil ES regular shaft 

Irons: Wilson D7 5-PW w/Recoil 460 Regular graphite shafts 

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore(50*/54*/58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  

Putter: 33" Evnroll ER2 w/Evnroll Gravity Grip 

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black).  

Pushcart:  Caddytek 3.0 from Costco

Ball: Maxfli Tour CG & Titleist Pro V1x.

11 hours ago, Riverboat said:

If you look at testing numbers on balls or any other equipment, I think you would reach the same conclusion. For example, People freak out over getting the "longest" driver, but the difference between the top dog and the 25th ranked driver is usually just a few yards. The key, as you've said, is to find one that performs for you. Now as for me, I agree that I'd like the least expensive of those. But I get that some folks don't care about money, and would rather pay more for the ego boost that having expensive stuff gives them. It would just be nice if they would admit that's why they want it (at least to themselves), rather than trying to convince everyone that their exorbitant purchases actually help their game. 

My view is that  the best way to economize on equipment is to figure out what club is best for you and then to keep using it for several years. My sense is that the people pissing away the most money are the ones trying to find a bargain, then not liking it and buying a new bargain every year or two.  

• :taylormade-small: Sim 2 Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue 6R shaft
  • :taylormade-small:Sim 2 5 wood Fujikura Ventus Blue 5R shaft
  • :titelist-small: H818 Hybrids 21 and 25 degrees Tensei ck Series 60 HY regular flex shafts at D4 settings
  • :titelist-small: 718 AP1 irons 6-gap Tensei ck Series AMC IR regular flex bent two degrees flat
  • :vokey-small: SM 7 Wedge 58 degrees M grind with 8 bounce Steel shafts wedge flex bent 2 degrees flat
  • :ping-small: Glide 3 52.12 and 56.14 with  Alta CB Red Regular Flex shaft bent 2 degrees flat
  • Go back and forth between :cameron-small: Select Newport 2 putter 34 inch length and :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne putter 33 inch length
  • :titelist-small:  Pro V1x (may go to Pro V1 next year) and bought some Maxflis to try out for the offseason

5 minutes ago, HAC said:

My view is that  the best way to economize on equipment is to figure out what club is best for you and then to keep using it for several years. My sense is that the people pissing away the most money are the ones trying to find a bargain, then not liking it and buying a new bargain every year or two.  

The key words here are "best for you." Which may or may not be at the top of the expert review lists, and may or may not be the most expensive or well known brand or model. Best model for your swing and your game and your budget. We agree. 

😧 Wilson Triton