Jump to content

Can 15 Year Old Clubs Still Compete?


Fenix
 Share

Recommended Posts

Once upon a time, I was a club fitter/builder, then left the game, and recently had back surgery. So now with getting back into the game, recovering from back surgery, and selling off most of my equipment, I'm left with 3 sets of clubs, down from 10 , so I'm making progress haha. I built so many to try out and experiment with different heads, shafts, etc but I was always very picky about which clubs would stay in my primary set. So now that I have a different profession, I want to get down to 1 set of clubs.

I'm going through a similar approach to how I would choose clubs to be in my primary set.. Here's a snapshot of yesterdays session. 

iron compare 211123.png

The Srixon and KZG sets I build back in 2006ish The HMB's I traded for recently. Lofts were checked prior to hitting, All the other specs were recorded as well and will need to be dialed in a little more once the final set is chosen. I just finished PT and started fitness training again so I'm not as consistent as I used to be but it's a start and a process. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interesting stuff.  IMO, on well struck shots I don’t think there will be much difference.   The area of improvement technology wise would be based on how consistent those numbers remain on misshits.   What is the standard deviation on those numbers and how many shots are included?  

  • Like 3
  • Hmmm 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787

 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Interesting stuff.  IMO, on well struck shots I don’t think there will be much difference.   The area of improvement technology wise would be based on how consistent those numbers remain on misshits.   What is the standard deviation on those numbers and how many shots are included?  

This was my first test like this, I just wanted to dial in the process. I only hit 5 shots, only keeping the median three, meaning I ditched the perfect shot, duff or real odd ball, so I didn't just choose the longest or 'best' shots since I wanted to take into consideration my own inconsistency. I'm not too surprised by these irons numbers, the Mizuno HMB was a touch longer on the 6 iron but also 2 degrees stronger so really that's a wash. I expect I'll see a wider gap when I go through my hybrid and wood evaluations. 

I also recorded all the specs on the clubs (freq, sw, length, etc) so on this first test I'm seeing the the KZG's are 3/8" longer than the other two sets, the lie angle about .5 more upright, so combining those two the effective lie is even more upright, I need to dial that down a little. Also, the sole on those are narrower than the Srixon and HMB so I suspect that's a little less forgiving. As I hit the rest of the irons and then repeat this all again, I'll be interested to see if the numbers shake out a little more. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

To piggyback on what @cnosil pointed out about mishits, another factor may be dispersion as well. From the chart, the Srixons look like the set to beat on most metrics, but accuracy plays a big part as well. A newer set might help with that... or it might not depending on your ball striking.

  • Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10
Whatever ball I have 3 dozen of that my kids got me as a gift

Twitter: @russtopherb

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, russtopherb said:

To piggyback on what @cnosil pointed out about mishits, another factor may be dispersion as well. From the chart, the Srixons look like the set to beat on most metrics, but accuracy plays a big part as well. A newer set might help with that... or it might not depending on your ball striking.

Based on this first session the Srixons were the most accurate dispersion wise and the most consistent with distance gaps. I'm definitely tracking that as well since I would rather have irons that are more consistent and accurate vs longer. There are other things I'm making note of as well, like the Srixon's swing weights are in-between the other two sets and the most consistent within each other. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can tell you one thing on the back injury graphite shafts can and will help in the irons. KZG irons I am big on ----they make a good product and are usually ahead of their time. I actually have 2 sets of KZGs one being what I call the old Teardrop CB with Rifle 5.5s and a set of forged blade type CBs with unknown shafts. I did have a set of Teardrops with Swing Science 200 graphites in them and like an idiot sold them. For me irons are not about distance but accuracy. The irons in my signature are 2016 models and I love them. But for me year wise they are a step up because I was playing a set of 1980s Mac VIPs with Hogan Apex steel shafts. Kinda a broad ban departure for me but I had to switch due to permanant nerve damage in my back and the steel shafts were causing high frequency vibrations enraging the already damaged nerves in my back. I have always been a feel and instinct player and have to really revamp my swing and feel but I am learning how to work those irons and tone my swing down some and wait on the graphite some. Overall I like the numbers for you on the KZGs but I may be a little biased

  • Like 2

Driver ---- TM M-6 Evenflow 65 G R flex---- 3 wood TM V-Steel Aldila 65G R Flex--- 7 Wood TM V-Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex---  Irons 5 thru PW 2016 TM TP CBs Steelfiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy2 52* Stock regular shaft--- SW Callaway Mack Daddy PM grind modified to 10* bounce KBS wedge shaft R---- Putter Scotty Sante Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft you seriously think it was going anywhere? Bag Old School Burton Mini Staff non demontional no advertising

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Welcome to the forums!

Compete is an interesting choice of words - like others have already written a well hit shot is a well hit shot - I'm actually surprised to see a 46 degree PW from 2006 but regardless loft for loft, shaft length for shaft length a well hit shot is a well hit shot - there won't be much difference - but golf, at least the scoring part of golf is all about the less than perfect strikes.  So if by compete you mean that you are going to go out and play against other golfers with irons that are 15 years old I'd think not.  

 

If by compete you mean can you get back into playing with them and have fun - of course - I'm sure they will perform just fine.

 

Enjoy

  • Like 3

Taylor Made Sim2  10.5 (Opened 1 click) Ventus Blue 5  R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

Edison Wedges 54 and 59 KBS Tour Graphite 80's

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Tour Exotics 3 wood is in the bag because we are allowed 14 clubs.  It's a great club for pulling balls out of the water or from bushes - you never want to put your hand into anything in Florida unless you are absolutely certain that it's safe.  There are rare wind conditions when I might hit it off the tee on a few holes that I play.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, revkev said:

Welcome to the forums!

Compete is an interesting choice of words - like others have already written a well hit shot is a well hit shot - I'm actually surprised to see a 46 degree PW from 2006 but regardless loft for loft, shaft length for shaft length a well hit shot is a well hit shot - there won't be much difference - but golf, at least the scoring part of golf is all about the less than perfect strikes.  So if by compete you mean that you are going to go out and play against other golfers with irons that are 15 years old I'd think not.  

If by compete you mean can you get back into playing with them and have fun - of course - I'm sure they will perform just fine.

Enjoy

I'd agree it's about managing misses to a point. Based on this first session they definitely can compete. The 15-year old Srixon set was the most accurate dispersion wise and the most consistent with distance gaps.

I'm actually not too surprised by the irons, I suspect I'll see bigger discrepancies when I get into my hybrids and woods. For this session I didn't just take the best shots, I'm including misses as well. I'm definitely tracking that as well since I would rather have irons that are more consistent (with distance gaps and mis-hits) and accurate vs longer. There are other things I'm making note of as well, like the Srixon's swing weights are in-between the other two sets and the most consistent within each other. This and other specs are things I have to evaluate. The newer Mizuno 6 iron is 2 degrees stronger that my Srixon and KZG irons, taking that into consideration, these are nearly the same. As I do more sessions with the rest of the clubs and get more shots in with all of them it'll be interesting to see how this all shakes out. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm pretty sure that fifteen year old clubs are no more than a set of fresh grips away from being perfectly playable.

UNLESS THEY"RE YOUR FIFTEEN YEAR OLD CLUBS, PERHAPS,

simply because you're fifteen years older than you were when you first played them.

If you were 25 and now you're 40--no problem, most likely.

If you were 50 and now you're 65, however, it could conceivably be different.

  • Like 2

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, BostonSal said:

I'm pretty sure that fifteen year old clubs are no more than a set of fresh grips away from being perfectly playable.

UNLESS THEY"RE YOUR FIFTEEN YEAR OLD CLUBS, PERHAPS,

simply because you're fifteen years older than you were when you first played them.

If you were 25 and now you're 40--no problem, most likely.

More this 🙂 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

100% 15 year old irons can compete. I have a set of Ping Eye2s in the garage, I bet I'd shoot the same with them once I figured out the distances.

I agree 🙂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Fenix said:


I'm actually not too surprised by the irons, I suspect I'll see bigger discrepancies when I get into my hybrids and woods. For this session I didn't just take the best shots, I'm including misses as well. 

I don’t think you will see much difference with the other clubs as well.  You should keep the misshits and mediocre shots; the only ones you should throw out are severe outliers.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787

 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

I don’t think you will see much difference with the other clubs as well.  You should keep the misshits and mediocre shots; the only ones you should throw out are severe outliers.  

Yeah I hit a small sampling to start but really only threw out the severe ones (good or bad)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes. If you hit 15 year old clubs well, score low, keep them.

  • Like 2

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G400 Max Driver 10.5° w/Diamona S+ LTD Blue-Board 70 R Flex

Ping G410 5 Fairway Wood Mitsubishi Tensi Orange R Flex

Ping G410 4-5-6 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi Blue R Flex

Ping i500 Irons 5-U w/Recoil SmacWrap F3 Flex (power-spec lofts)

Ping 3.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap F3 Flex

2021 Ping Fetch Putter

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Mid-Size Grips

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've done a few demo sessions with the new irons, and the only real difference I see is that the new irons have a lot less Loft then the older clubs with the same number stamped on the head. AS an example, the TM Burner 2.0 6 iron has 5 degrees less loft than my 18 year old forged irons and the ball goes about 20 yards farther with the new Burner than my older 6 iron. Bottom line the Burner 6 iron is more like a strong 5 iron of 15 years ago. Me, I'd much rather have my older set and just hit a 5 iron if I need another 15-20 yards of carry. 

 

Same thing for the new drivers. I'll keep my old 2005 Launcher Comp and let the rest of you have the newer driver with the adjustable hosel garbage. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have seven year old heads and keep "updating" by swapping shafts and grips based on my changing abilities.  I'm 68 so my game IS changing whether I like it or not and it is far different than the game I had at 38 but equipment tweaks keeps it close even though distance is the part that changed the most. 

But the heads I have I like.  Perform well, great feel and the look at address I want so I don't want to change them. How they perform for me became a function of the shaft installed and graphite was the best move I've made.  Same with grip - now softer midsize with two wraps under the lower hand.  If recovering from a back injury those can be a benefit for you like they were with age for me.  But don't just grab any graphite or grip.  Get fit and get the loft, lie, flex, kick point, grip size, etc.,  combination you need then research the shafts/grips that fit your dynamic swing data.  And not just with five balls eliminating the high and low.  Get as much data you need per club to make an intelligent decision.  

Now I've said I love my heads, I am looking at foam or polymer filled heads.  I tried some at my fitting and they can be a game changer for bad backs and aging bodies!

  • Like 1

GPS111

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Fenix said:

Yeah I hit a small sampling to start but really only threw out the severe ones (good or bad)

You should keep the really good ones,  they are the far end of your dispersion pattern.  Need to determine the full pattern, not just the ones you fell like you hit normal.  That is why you look at standard deviations. 

  • Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787

 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Fenix said:

Once upon a time, I was a club fitter/builder, then left the game, and recently had back surgery. So now with getting back into the game, recovering from back surgery, and selling off most of my equipment, I'm left with 3 sets of clubs, down from 10 , so I'm making progress haha. I built so many to try out and experiment with different heads, shafts, etc but I was always very picky about which clubs would stay in my primary set. So now that I have a different profession, I want to get down to 1 set of clubs.

I'm going through a similar approach to how I would choose clubs to be in my primary set.. Here's a snapshot of yesterdays session. 

iron compare 211123.png

The Srixon and KZG sets I build back in 2006ish The HMB's I traded for recently. Lofts were checked prior to hitting, All the other specs were recorded as well and will need to be dialed in a little more once the final set is chosen. I just finished PT and started fitness training again so I'm not as consistent as I used to be but it's a start and a process. 

As someone who plays irons that are 10-20 years old (depending upon if Im playing the Mizunos or the Cobras), I can tell you that older clubs absolutely can compete.  Ive said many times in the past that Im not really a fan of loft jacking because it kills spin, which isnt always a good thing.

A well struck shot isnt going to me much different with any iron, although you could argue that the newer clubs are better on mishits.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, ZenGolfer said:

As someone who plays irons that are 10-20 years old (depending upon if Im playing the Mizunos or the Cobras), I can tell you that older clubs absolutely can compete.  Ive said many times in the past that Im not really a fan of loft jacking because it kills spin, which isnt always a good thing.

A well struck shot isnt going to me much different with any iron, although you could argue that the newer clubs are better on mishits.

Yeah totally not a fan of loft jacking, I never found the ego in saying I'm hitting a certain club number over another.  These three sets all have different shafts too which shows the head/shaft combo is pretty well even across these. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...