Why should I get new irons?

Peter-T

Hi,

I just started playing again after almost 30 years.  I have a relatively new driver (TaylorMade r7 quad), but my irons are over 40 years old.  I regripped them but steel shafts and heads are original.

I know a lot has changed in 40  years but what am I going to gain.  As I haven't played much in the last 30 years, I am not that good.  Now that I am retired I plan to play more often.

What are the benefits of the new technology?

If I can't replace the whole set at once, where do I begin?  I don't have a fairway wood but have pretty much everything else.  I bought a used 4 hybrid earlier this year just to have one in the bag.  My putter is also 40 years old and I think I only paid $25 for it back in 1980.

Thanks.

• Like 2

No reason to get new irons if you don't want to.  Yes, technology has changed but doesn't mean you will hit your clubs any better.    The general benefits of new technology is that the shafts bend profile may be better for your and that you may get more forgiveness on miss hits.    

You have made some other posts about playing better and your getting back into the game.  Talk to your instructor about clubs and what he recommends. 

• Like 4

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :callaway-small: 54-10S   :cleveland-small: 588  58-12
Putter:  :seemore-small: mFGP2

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Agree with the previous post where you don't have to get new ones of you don't want to. 

Another option could be to go to a local shop and bring your irons to hit side by side with some others. See some of the differences and maybe you'll have a answer if it is worth buying new to you irons. Another good thing to do is give s budget to whoever you're working with. This way you don't get any sticker shock. With all this being said there are lots of not too expensive good irons out there and any good shop or fitter should be able to find clubs you like that work within your budget. 

• Like 6

⛳🛄 as of Sept 24, 2020

SuperSpeed 2020 from 100-112 and climbing!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic Sub Zero - Set at 10* with Aldila Rogue Max 65 gram 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ weight back

:ping-small: G410 Crossover - 2 and 4 iron

Irons:     :ping-small: i210 5-U w/ Nippon Modus 105 stiff (2018 Tester)

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:      :srixon-small: Z Star

Other:     :Arccos: 

Why should you get new irons?? 

Asking that here is like a lion cub asking the pride why should we eat gazelles.....Because you CAN!!!!    🤣

Just kidding!  

What irons do you currently have?  My answer will be different if you have an old set of Ping Eye's versus a set of Sam Snead Blue Ridge Korvette's specials.  

Price doesn't equate to a quality club and what you can do with it.  Each of my Cleveland wedges were bought used for less than $30.  My Ping Anser & the various Bullseye wide flange putters from teh 70's & 80's were bought used for less than $25.  I still go back to them from time to time when the new Heppler needs a time out.

As mentioned newer clubs / shafts could be fit to your swing better than your current set and get you more consistent performance.  I like the suggestion of taking your gamers to a demo day or local fitter to get some comparison data.  Pay the fitter for their time and data then take the data and look for used clubs to match up.  If you are patient you can save a good bit of $$.  Besides it's just plain fun to try new stuff! 

• Like 1

Modern Bag:  Sub70 849 Pro 9*, Hazrdous Smoke S Flex;  Titleist 915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 15*, & 23* Hybrids; Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Cleveland Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 ;  Ping Heppler Fetch;  Ball - Snell MTB-X; Bag - Sun Mountain H2NO 

Classic Bag:  Driver - Wilson Staff Persimmon; 3w - Hogan Speed Slot; 5w - Wilson Staff Tour Block; 3 - pw - Staff Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

I would imagine if your irons are 40 years old, you are not swinging them as hard as you were when you bought them. Today's tech will definitely make the game easier. Get shafts that work for your current swing. And today's stronger lofts and better cg and moi will allow you to hit less club, which increases confidence. And before anyone screams that all they did was jack the lofts, a lower loft on the shorter 8 iron shaft makes it easier to hit than that old 7 (or even 6) iron loft. Combine that with the new metrics that allow a lower angle of launch with a similar angle of descent and these irons are easier to hit... fact. 

Technology advances far more slowly in golf than equipment manufacturers would have you believe, but there's a big difference in clubs when you wait 40 years to switch them out.  

Edited by Riverboat
Typo
  • Like 3

😧 Wilson Triton

3w: PXG 341

5W: Cleveland launcher 

3H: Wilson Deep Red

5-GW: PXG 0211

SW LW: Mizuno MP T5

P: Scott Cameron Newport

You’ve gotten really good general answers already. Really depends on what the 40 year old irons are, your budget and what you expect from newer ones. Among the 20+ guys I play with regularly, there is ZERO correlation between handicaps and club age/cost. Our best player still has 20+ yo Mizuno blades with no plan to “upgrade.” One of our worst players went to Club Champion and spent almost $5K on 14 new clubs (yes, full bag including putter fitting). He’s still trying to convince himself and others it was worthwhile - but his handicap (published weekly) has gotten worse if anything. That said, the (120g S steel) shafts I played 40 years ago would be too stiff and heavy for me today (now 90g R graphite)…

• Like 2
  • Callaway Rogue 10.5° & 3W
  • Mizuno CLK 3H 19°, JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B ER2
  • Maxfli Tour Snell MTB-Black
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT

There's going to be a big difference in forgiveness between modern irons and 40 year old ones. Also you could probably find a shaft option that fits you better than whatever is in your old clubs.

You don't need new clubs, just something new-er. Get on eBay and you'll find plenty of options of irons from the last decade for a couple hundred bucks, rather than the thousand+ a new set would run.

• Like 1

Take Dead Aim

The best reason to get new clubs is that you feel like it.

I have a small museum of retired sets in my basement, and the above is the only reason that I've ever had for replacing any of them.

I could put new grips on set #1 and play it right now, truth be told.

I'll get the exact same amount of fresh air and hangout time with my friends, you see, either way.

But that's why I play.  Others could feel differently.

• Like 1

As someone who played PE2's for over 30 years before making an upgrade in 2018, I recommend investing in a quality fitting and seeing for yourself which of the many new offerings can add distance, accuracy, and forgiveness.  

• Like 1

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

... I will add another element. I was playing with a guy asking me about replacing his irons that were quite old and beat up with shafts that didn't suit his swing. My initial response was absolutely replace them! But I play golf about 5 times a week and he plays Saturdays and not every Saturday at that so he was lamenting the cost of new clubs. $1300 for irons averaged over a year with around 250 rounds is not as big an expense as the original price tag would have me think. That's about $5 a round for a year of golf. Playing 3 times a month or 36 times a year the cost is now $36 a round. So quite a difference. If I had to pay an extra $36 on top of my greens fee every round for a year it might, might give me pause. 

... So factoring in how many rounds you play may have an impact on buying new clubs. Some may certainly think playing 36 times a year they want the best clubs possible while others may think it isn't worth the additional money. That said this is a golf equipment forum and we all like the idea of playing the best tools we can and cost doesn't enter into it as much as other things in our lives. 

• Like 1

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Diamana Ltd 60R
Fairway:  TaylorMade SIM2 Max 15* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
                TaylorMade SIM2 Max 18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Utility:   TaylorMade UDi 18* ... Even Flow Black 85R
               TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
              Taylor Made Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Steelfiber 95R
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
                 TaylorMade MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber 95R
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

10 minutes ago, chisag said:

he was lamenting the cost of new clubs. $1300 for irons averaged over a year with around 250 rounds is not as big an expense as the original price tag would have me think. 

Yep,  the cost of new clubs can be high; but you can also get some great deals on lightly used clubs or if you want new DTC brands like Sub70 are great options.

• Like 2

Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330, :taylormade-small:TM-180, :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, Bellum Winmore 787

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

12 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Yep,  the cost of new clubs can be high; but you can also get some great deals on lightly used clubs or if you want new DTC brands like Sub70 are great options.

Absolutely. Irons don't have to cost 1300. You can get pxg 0211s, with fitting, for half that., and they are fantastic clubs. 

😧 Wilson Triton

27 minutes ago, cnosil said:

... Of course, there is also Certified pre owned, classifieds, etc. But the top of the line OEM are crazy expensive for the 4 - pw:

Ping i59 ... $1749

P790 ... $1300

T100/200's ... $1300

King Tour ... $1300

JPX921 Tour ... $1300

Apex 21 ... $1300

4 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Of course, there is also Certified pre owned, classifieds, etc. But the top of the line OEM are crazy expensive for the 4 - pw:

Ping i59 ... $1749

P790 ... $1300

T100/200's ... $1300

King Tour ... $1300

JPX921 Tour ... $1300

Apex 21 ... $1300

Wasn't disagreeing that they are crazy expensive.   For someone that really isn't that into golf I wouldn't recommend new clubs but some people like that new club feel.  

11 minutes ago, chisag said:

Ping i59 ... $1749

P790 ... $1300

T100/200's ... $1300

King Tour ... $1300

JPX921 Tour ... $1300

Apex 21 ... $1300

Yes, they are ridiculously expensive. That's why someone playing only 3 times a month should be looking at pxg, sub70, or used. As I said, I love my 0211s and have yet to see a bad review ANYWHERE. (And I play 300 or so rounds a year. )

By the way, 4- pw is probably not the best set for that golfer either. A set starting at 5 or even 6 and running through pw or gw is probably a better choice. 

😧 Wilson Triton

13 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Wasn't disagreeing that they are crazy expensive.   For someone that really isn't that into golf I wouldn't recommend new clubs but some people like that new club feel.  

... Just throwing stuff out there. This guy was very serious just busy working and could not get out as much as he would like but was gonna get fit and buy whatever the fitter recommended. But you know how clubs go, one guy will buy the newest most expensive PXG irons or new Mizuno only and the next guy won't buy anything he can't find for $100 at a garage sale. And of course everything in-between. 

• Like 1

That the irons are 40 years old and you are retired, I doubt you are under 60. All else equal, you could use the same irons. But your body is not equal to the task. Hey, I’m 71 and not knocking you. Just a fact of life. 
Your options run from used clubs on line to PXG 0211 to full custom set built by custom shops, as Club Champion is one example. I’d work with a local fitter and either buy new that way or pay for the fitting and try to match it from used resellers. You want to get matched to a head and shaft that suits your game. The R7 is a good driver but in 5 strokes Trackman can suggest if it is close to optimal. Reshaping that may not make economic sense. Lots of well depreciated drivers are available. 

44 minutes ago, Fenix said:

Well, check out my post. I have two sets of irons around 15 years old and preform atleast as good if not better than a newer set. 

Can 15 Year Old Clubs Still Compete?

Your clubs with your swing. That is certainly not evidence that others would see the same results. I'm not saying they wouldn't, but your presumed assumption that they would is exactly that, extremely presumptuous. 

😧 Wilson Triton

A new or newer set can help with limiting your miss and possibly give you some added distance. Plus a newer set, the look good, feel good analogy?🤷🏼‍♂️

:ping-small: G425 LST 10.5 Aldilla Rogue White 70s

:titelist-small: TS3 15.5 3W Fuji Speeder Tour Spec

:titelist-small: 818 H1 19deg Hybrid Fuji Atmos White

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 50,54, and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:taylormade-small:Spider Tour Putter

Vice Pro Plus White or Titleist ProV1x

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

:CaddyTek: V8 3 Wheel Push Cart

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review